Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:40:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Stronghold Kingdoms 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stronghold Kingdoms  (Read 55294 times)
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: August 27, 2010, 07:01:12 PM

Word salad, I meant how is meat more than vegetables. The prices in my parish and the surrounding parishes are usually Apples - 1-25, Cheese 20-50, Meat 80-100, Bread 60-80, Vegetables 100-120.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Pyran
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: August 27, 2010, 07:44:31 PM

So is gold mainly used to buy research points?  I'm at 2500g per point now which seems kinda high to me but I'll keep buying points unless gold is really needed later on for something else.

Also what's a good number of quary/lumber yard/iron mine to have?
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: August 27, 2010, 09:23:49 PM

Gold is used to bribe your people (I have max bribes in all my villages), buy research points, buy banquet goods buildings, buy decorations (statues, gardens, etc), and you need it to train troops. I usually have more quarries than lumber yards (but 10-15 of both), Iron I have 6 in my main village. My engineering is high enough that my resources won't cap while I'm sleeping.

Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: August 28, 2010, 12:58:55 PM

I researched housing capacity, I though it would turn my hovel into hut (I'm talking about the in game sprite).  No luck.  Do they automatically upgrade once you reach a certain level?
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: August 28, 2010, 01:37:13 PM

My guess is you either have to put more points in it, or reach a higher rank. I'm rank 16 and I still have the same basic sprite with no points in housing capacity.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: August 28, 2010, 06:52:43 PM

Yes, Bribe to win!  Also, arts research!  I went from 4k/day to 8k/day(at level 11) just by fiddling with that and building the rest of my dovecotes. 

Why don't you try our other games?
Vinadil
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: August 30, 2010, 10:49:19 AM

This game is still in a "closed" type beta where they are not accepting all applications right?  I am pretty sure I dropped an email on their website a while back but not sure if things have changed since then.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: August 30, 2010, 11:11:02 AM

It's still alpha 4.  They wont go beta until the game is feature complete.  Unlike other devs, these guys seem to have brains.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: August 30, 2010, 01:02:49 PM

They're also still testing major features of the game.  A lot changed from alpha 3 to 4, or so lurking on the global chat has informed me.

Finally getting me a second city.  W00t.

Pyran
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: August 31, 2010, 11:26:04 AM

Woah had no idea you can lose all your cities, including your original which I just lost.  They should make it where you cant lose your last city.  Makes military build much more effective with large army and rush to captain to take over nicely built cities instead of buying and building up new ones.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #80 on: August 31, 2010, 02:37:11 PM

I haven't been attacked yet by anyone trying to take my city, but that would be the obvious endgame.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #81 on: August 31, 2010, 03:32:46 PM

Is their combat system similar to Travian, where you eventually have to start staying up all night to keep Romanian teenagers from destroying all your hard work while you sleep?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: August 31, 2010, 04:13:08 PM

The only difference between being attacked while you're awake and while you're asleep is you can't rebuild walls or place more troops in defense, or interdict yourself to stop attacks.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #83 on: August 31, 2010, 04:50:45 PM

Those sound like pretty big differences.  That's pretty much what it came down to in Travian as well; if you were online, for example you could dance your troops around, e.g. send your army away to evade the vanguard of a wave of attacks and then bring them back to defend against subsequent weaker waves.  At the "high levels" this sort of thing was pretty much mandatory to stay in the game.  The uberguilds would span timezones and have "sitters" manage the accounts of their sleeping guildmates so that everyone was always "active".  Catassery taken to the most extreme levels possible.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Pyran
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: August 31, 2010, 05:41:35 PM

My experience is with Evony and in that game it was impossible to take a city if the owner is online, no matter how crappy the city and its defense is.  You can attack and take all resources but you'll never be able to take the city.  Fastest a mid-developed city can be taken while owner is offline is about 2 hours of continuous attacks to lower the city's morale to 0.

The attack did come last night while I was sleeping but it wouldnt have made a difference, there's no "dancing" around or like in Evony, keep morale up.  He had 150+ archers and 45 swords with a few catapults and a captain.  I havent been in game long enough to have much walls built and my army was 12 archers and 50 peasants.  A single sucessful attack with a captain takes the city.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 05:45:25 PM by Pyran »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #85 on: August 31, 2010, 06:04:36 PM

I guess if there's no way to defend against it, you at least don't have to worry about it, right?   swamp poop

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #86 on: August 31, 2010, 07:17:11 PM

As far as I can tell, you can pretty much set up the best castle defense and walk away for the evening. Could someone stomp the living shit out of you in a night? I'd say probably not if you were well-defended, unless they had coordinated help.

Ratadm
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: August 31, 2010, 09:19:37 PM

Later on in the game especially with vassal armies it becomes pretty easy to roflstomp a town.  The only hard part would be having an army with captain nearby that can travel there in anything resembling a reasonable amount of time.  It's also going to be pretty costly honor wise.

Being in a faction or at least being a vassal to somebody in a faction is a pretty good defense against attacks though,  I know that we dislike people even pillaging non faction members of my houses parishes.
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: September 01, 2010, 08:32:52 PM

The  main difference here is that you are your research much more than you are your town.  Placing down the buildings can be done in a couple few days especially if you have production research in something you can sell for mucho cash.  Build production buildings, sell production, buy wood/stone/whatever, build more buildings...

Or just scout and sell if you have scout research.

As for someone stomping you in a night, yeah it could happen.  If someone has multiple cities all with 500 army they could all attack you at once, esp. if they were all close to you.... but you can make it very unpleasant with the defenses.

Ratadm
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: September 01, 2010, 10:13:52 PM

Each vassal you have can store 500 troops.  Also at the end of last alpha I just figured I would lose 1000ish troops to any city I wanted to take.  I've already got 2 vassals well stocked (cats need to build faster but otherwise good) and 2 more who I figure will be be full by the end of the weekend.  Don't underestimate how quickly people can stock up on troops.  

The big problem is the honor cost.  You need a real good reason to take the hit it costs to capture and do 2x vandalizes on a city.  I captured my 3rd village because the guy was pillaging neighbors and annoying everybody around and the honor cost was something like 1.5-2 levels at the time.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: September 28, 2010, 04:28:41 PM

I'm quiting today.  The progression was fun but the end game is disappointing and repetitive.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #91 on: September 29, 2010, 06:24:39 AM

I'm quiting today.  The progression was fun but the end game is disappointing and repetitive.

I stopped caring 3 weeks ago and quit. Once you get up above level 12, things are long, drawn-out, and stupid.

grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: September 29, 2010, 06:37:21 PM

A big ol' war spices it up.

Also, how so drawn out?  I'm Baron and I still get a level a day just from honor I get from my villages.  That's 3 points of new candy every day, or close to.

I will say that this game definitey has its flaws, like

constantly shipping veggies and fish all over the place to keep up the happiness.
Dumping tons of whatever on the markets to keep bribe at max.  It works but it's not fun to do.
Scouts.  Scouts are stupid.
The card system.  I would never play this game at retail bc of the probable fact that a credit card will buy you instant castles and instant armies, all you want.  bleh.

But it also has its positives, like
the battle system is pretty awesome.  Castle building and strategies and whatnot.
The tech tree is nice, and better than anything else I've seen in a game like this.
The politics is pretty freakin awesome.  Fighting over parishes adds so much to the game.
There are a lot of different ways to get honor, and most of them are pretty viable.  They're putting in quests at some point too, which may be good.

so, yeah, I'm still having fun with it.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #93 on: September 30, 2010, 07:23:16 AM

For me, I think the economy is completely stupid, and they need to fix that first and foremost. Scouting is also completely inane for the amount of points you have to pour into it to be effective. The fact that not everything can be grown in villages also smacks of silliness. If you can't produce certain goods, the economy has to be more robust to support trade of those goods. Build times get increasingly worse to the point of days in a row before something is completed. Production times on weapons also needs to be a lot faster if that's their gateway to troops other than population needs.

Also, it still doesn't solve the "Get in early and win!" downside of these games as far as I can tell.

Demonix
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: September 30, 2010, 07:48:29 AM

The scouting/resource stash mechanic needs to be removed and be replaced...Maybe some small banquet/resource reward from a successful attack on a bandit camp/wolf den/AI castle that scales with difficulty/time.

But yeah, the times and resource requirements were just silly.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: September 30, 2010, 08:15:59 AM

Also, it still doesn't solve the "Get in early and win!" downside of these games as far as I can tell.

Are they going to time/turn-limit servers?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #96 on: September 30, 2010, 08:17:53 AM

Are they going to time/turn-limit servers?

I don't think it's feasible, but I'm not sure. The reality is they need to severely punish high-roller players who want to "farm" lower players for resources. That kind of play is bullshit reserved for Travian. However, the diplomatic and battle system is probably the best I've ever seen in these type of games. It's good they are in an early stage, because there's a lot of balancing they need to rethink.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: November 04, 2010, 04:12:24 PM

Game is now OPEN beta.  (shrugthough)

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Stronghold Kingdoms  
Jump to: