Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 05:28:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Civilization V- Might actually be good now. Stay tuned. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Civilization V- Might actually be good now. Stay tuned.  (Read 449313 times)
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #280 on: September 10, 2010, 06:47:39 AM

What do you mean by random maps?  If you just mean random as not based on real geography then yeah I guess so.  However, in online multiplayer play, there is a biggish Earth/Europe/Mediterranean map scene.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #281 on: September 10, 2010, 10:04:43 AM

Found a sweet ass Civ 5 site.  Collates all known date about the game and organizes it in a nice way.  http://well-of-souls.com/civ/

Nice find.  Bookmarked.
WayAbvPar

Reply #282 on: September 10, 2010, 12:23:26 PM

Also, the game won't have a manual, they just posted something on their site about being more eco-friendly.  Instead they're rolling with an "interactive" PDF manual, that they pledge to update as the game changes.  I like this move, mainly because I don't care about manuals.  I can see how manual nerds will be miffed.

WTF? There goes half the reason I wanted a store copy. Goddamn it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #283 on: September 10, 2010, 01:18:48 PM

Over a manual? Print is dead.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: September 10, 2010, 02:21:53 PM

I get the whole "wanting to have a physical copy of something" thing.  It's just that I stopped using manuals around the same time you could alt-tab and pull up a website that was current and had better info for every game under the sun.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #285 on: September 10, 2010, 04:07:59 PM

Yeah, but then what do you read on the shitter that first week?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WayAbvPar

Reply #286 on: September 10, 2010, 04:25:37 PM

EXACTLY. Nothing in the world is better to read in the can than gaming related materials. Manuals, Player's Handbooks, Monster Manuals, etc.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #287 on: September 10, 2010, 04:29:41 PM

That's why I have an iPhone.

-Rasix
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: September 10, 2010, 06:58:24 PM

Seriously.  Get a Droid or at least a printer.  Fuck.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #289 on: September 10, 2010, 09:35:11 PM

Yea, but what happens if the phone goes into the toilet?! A manual is much safer.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #290 on: September 11, 2010, 05:44:53 AM

I don't own a phone. No need, I'm a desk jockey or out in the field in front of the guy I need to be talking to.  If I'm not near a phone, I don't need to talk to you.  (And iPads are just expensive toys, I'd rather buy a new camera lens.)

As for printing; I don't see why I should spend another $10 worth of paper and ink (mainly the fucking ink. Pricerape) for something I used to get for the purchase price. I'll just be disappointed and get over it.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: September 11, 2010, 06:00:21 AM

Yea, but what happens if the phone goes into the toilet?! A manual is much safer.

Where are you holding it that it could go into the toilet?  NM, DON'T WANT TO KNOW!! ACK!

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #292 on: September 11, 2010, 10:50:19 AM

EXACTLY. Nothing in the world is better to read in the can than gaming related materials. Manuals, Player's Handbooks, Monster Manuals, etc.

You know, WAP, I think this should be the ultimate gamer nerd gauge.

Question 1 for 3 nerd points. Have you ever read a gaming manual on the pot?
Question 2 for 3 million nerd points. Do you actually look forward to a game just so that you can read its manual on the can?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: September 11, 2010, 03:10:02 PM

I don't own a phone. No need

Sure guy.  I don't need a phone either.  I also don't need to wipe my asshole.  I just find both phone ownership and asswiping to be incredibly useful tactics in life.  YMMV.   awesome, for real
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #294 on: September 11, 2010, 03:10:17 PM

What do you mean by random maps?  If you just mean random as not based on real geography then yeah I guess so.  However, in online multiplayer play, there is a biggish Earth/Europe/Mediterranean map scene.

Yeah that's what I meant. I am pretty sure 90% (numbers courtesy of my ass) of the games of Civ that get played are single player games on random geography.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: September 11, 2010, 03:14:05 PM

Sure I'm on board with that.  I do dig the whole "pre-set start" map scene though.  They've got some really cool user made maps based on Earth, Europe, Mediterranean, etc. that are really well balanced.  In these maps, each civ starts approximately where you would expect.  So obviously England starts at modern day London, and so on.  It's pretty cool and fun.  Like playing a giant game of Risk (if Risk had any strategy or complexity).
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #296 on: September 11, 2010, 03:30:47 PM

Where are you holding it that it could go into the toilet?  NM, DON'T WANT TO KNOW!! ACK!

We had a guy at work lose his because he put it in his shirt pocket.  No electronic eye flushers, so it fell into the can as he was bending over to pull the lever.  You've never seen a guy embarrassed until you see one trying to explain said situation to the receptionist, and why she needed to call building maintenance.

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: September 11, 2010, 08:06:10 PM

Like playing a giant game of Risk (if Risk had any strategy or complexity).

Risk does have strategy and complexity.  You just have to realize that you're playing other players and not the board.  Risk allows for pacts, alliances and betrayal which is more than I can say for something like Axis & Allies....
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #298 on: September 11, 2010, 10:34:01 PM

Way to set the bar high there.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I can see why the fixed maps would be popular for multiplayer, everyone is theoretically on an even playing field in terms of knowing things they "shouldnt" due to fog of war terrain-wise. In a single-player game it makes for an extra advantage against the AI that you don't really need.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: September 11, 2010, 10:47:38 PM

We had a guy at work lose his because he put it in his shirt pocket.  No electronic eye flushers, so it fell into the can as he was bending over to pull the lever.  You've never seen a guy embarrassed until you see one trying to explain said situation to the receptionist, and why she needed to call building maintenance.

One can avoid that happening by flushing with your foot.

Over and out.
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: September 12, 2010, 08:45:41 AM

I'm reading this on my iPhone ine the shitter. GET OUT OF MY HEAD F13
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #301 on: September 12, 2010, 09:18:58 AM

I'm reading this on my iPhone ine the shitter. GET OUT OF MY HEAD F13

Get us out of your bathroom!
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: September 12, 2010, 10:47:55 AM

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/civilizationv/video/6275453/sid-meiers-civilization-v--video-walk-through

I don't think this video has been posted yet.  Lots of gameplay, shows some combat, terrain advantages, ranged units, etc.  Also shows the city management screen, which looks nice.

Generally just pretty nice looking.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: September 12, 2010, 04:56:25 PM

Yeah.  Interface looks crisp as fuck.  I got nerd wood.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: September 12, 2010, 04:57:50 PM

Like playing a giant game of Risk (if Risk had any strategy or complexity).

Risk does have strategy and complexity.  

Nigga, please.  That's really all I have to say about that.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 05:00:32 PM by dusematic »
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: September 12, 2010, 04:59:58 PM

Way to set the bar high there.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I can see why the fixed maps would be popular for multiplayer, everyone is theoretically on an even playing field in terms of knowing things they "shouldnt" due to fog of war terrain-wise. In a single-player game it makes for an extra advantage against the AI that you don't really need.

Yeah, like I mentioned earlier, I've been out on single player for a long time.  I think after I started consistently winning on Monarch, even with the blatant CPU cheating, it just sort of lost its luster.  Multi-player is so fucking cutthroat and unpredictable that I'll never look back.  Though I do agree with your overarching point.    Grin
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 05:02:11 PM by dusematic »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: September 12, 2010, 09:49:52 PM

I can't wait can't wait can't wait.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: September 12, 2010, 09:55:29 PM

I'm sort of worried that it may seem a little shallow after playing an expansioned-to-the-hilt Civ 4
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #308 on: September 13, 2010, 12:02:06 PM

Me, too.

But I pre-ordered it on Steam anyway. It's the oldest standing pc gaming tradition I have, buying Civ on launch. Just glad I don't have to drive an hour to get it this time.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #309 on: September 13, 2010, 01:43:23 PM

iPads - best PDF readers ever invented.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: September 13, 2010, 01:50:59 PM

iPads - best most expensive PDF readers ever invented.

Over and out.
WayAbvPar

Reply #311 on: September 13, 2010, 02:24:28 PM

iPads - best PDF readers ever invented.

How is that going to fit in my Civ V box?

Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: September 13, 2010, 02:55:21 PM

With a bigger, $500 box of course.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: September 13, 2010, 05:03:33 PM

With a bigger, $500 box of course.

Am I a bad person if I would consider buying that?
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: September 13, 2010, 09:34:01 PM

Wait, what do iPads have to do with Civ 5?  Sorry for not being in the infinity loop and caring about Apple or its shitty products.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 51 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Civilization V- Might actually be good now. Stay tuned.  
Jump to: