Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 04:41:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Vancouver Winter Games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vancouver Winter Games  (Read 53706 times)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

on: February 12, 2010, 09:33:06 PM

Um, yea, that um one arm really wasn't supposed to work you see...

Had to be painful standing there holding the torches for five minutes, knowing there's a camera with a closeup on your face, wondering what the fuck is going on.

Otherwise, I'm feeling really proud right now. A few comments on the opening from my perspective (I watched it on tv, I'm not rich):

kd lang doing Leonard Cohen was totally unexpected, but really cool.
That crazy ass opera Olypic Hymn - not so cool.

Loved the whole West Coast forest section with Sarah MacLaughlan and the tap, fiddling and Ashley McIssac performance.

Big thanks to the professional Vancouver protesters for not fucking things up for the rest of us, like we were afraid they might.

Everyone do me a favor, if you want to discus the Georgian luger, please do, but lets not make this a big negative thread about it. It was a horrific tradgedy, but now isn't the time to talk about blame.

Feel free to talk negatively about doped Russian cross-country skiiers if you like though.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:54:59 PM

I'm just waiting to see who the next to die on that course.

Salt Lake and Torino for Comparison.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 11:04:35 PM by sigil »
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 11:19:55 PM

I watched the opening ceremonies from a bar with no sound on. One thing I do have to ask is who the fuck let Tom Brokaw on the air wearing that sport coat? That was the most hideous thing ever.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 07:47:25 AM

Pretty sure, if you look it up, it cost $78,000,000, too.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 08:03:27 AM

I watched the opening ceremonies from a bar with no sound on. One thing I do have to ask is who the fuck let Tom Brokaw on the air wearing that sport coat? That was the most hideous thing ever.

Heh, I also watched the opening ceremony on a TV with no sound at a bar.

I actually thought like 50% of the entire ceremony was hideous. What was up with all the garish colors? I understand the Inuit imagery, but most of it was shockingly ugly. The big totem poles raising their arms? wtf? A huge polar bear? What appeared to be a violin playing demon? Plus: The Olympic symbol = stupid.

I am sort of glad I couldn't hear the sound.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 12:01:48 PM

I won't deny a lot of it was a little garish, but the stuff you are picking on was explained if you heard the commentary. The arms extending were supposed to siginfy a traditional welcome. Plus, extending the arms made them look less dildo-ish, so that was good. The was nothing silly about the bear at all. The Spirit Bear is one of the most traditional West Coast symbols we have. There were 200 spirit bear statues errected in BC in 2006 to raise money for disabled children. We take our bears seriously.

I don't get the Oympic Symbol = stupid comment. You mean the five rings? Um, ok.

As for the cost, the estimates on the Chinese opening were anywhere from 100 to 300 million, and it costs a hell of a lot more to do anything in Vancouver than it does in China. When you consider they had 60,000 people there at an average of $1500 per ticket, I'd say it covered it.

Reading the Fark thread on it, it sounds like Bob Costas pretty much made an ass of himself throughout the NBC coverage of it.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 01:00:59 PM

Are you fucking kidding? I loved the opening ceremony. It was a lot less over the top than China's and a lot more classy, IMO.

Then again, I'm a sucker for winter olympic opening ceremonies moreso than summer ceremonies.

Playing hockey on NHL rinks rather than IIHF ones makes me a little stabby though.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 01:40:16 PM

I won't deny a lot of it was a little garish, but the stuff you are picking on was explained if you heard the commentary.

Check again where I was only seeing images in a bar with no sound. Only occasionally would I read the CC.

I don't get the Oympic Symbol = stupid comment. You mean the five rings? Um, ok.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 02:25:19 PM

Playing hockey on NHL rinks rather than IIHF ones makes me a little stabby though.

Wat?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 02:30:00 PM

The rinks are regulation NHL rather than the larger international standard ones. It was one of the first things I noticed during today's Sweden/Switzerland game. Not enough room behind the goal.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 04:02:27 PM

kd lang doing Leonard Cohen was totally unexpected, but really cool.

I liked most of the opening ceremony, but I thought that k.d. lang's arrangement was just horrible. She did a good job of singing it, but she took one of the most emotional, powerful songs ever written in Canada and sucked all the soul and passion out of it. I'm not precious about the song at all - while I do love Cohen's original and live versions, I also love both Rufus Wainwright and Jeff Buckley's versions. However, I would still rather hear lang's lifeless version in the wrong meter than any of the dreadful X-Factor and American Idol versions.

I did find it cute that she borrowed David Byrne's suit.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 04:40:39 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inukshuk

Yeah I thought it was fine overall. Some parts dragged some but overall pretty decent.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 04:44:45 PM by Special J »
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 05:39:14 PM

Nothing you can do in an opening ceremony overshadows the first death in 40 years. Barring a major hockey upset, that's what this entire Olympics will be remembered for.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 06:28:26 PM

The rinks are regulation NHL rather than the larger international standard ones. It was one of the first things I noticed during today's Sweden/Switzerland game. Not enough room behind the goal.

No I get that, just not sure why it matters. Most of the players play on that size rink anyway.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 08:47:16 PM

I'm not sure that events that separate first place and last place by less than a half second should qualify as competition, to me that's variance.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 08:56:59 PM

No I get that, just not sure why it matters. Most of the players play on that size rink anyway.

Would this be ok: "Well, sorry guys, we only have the track set up for a 100 yard race instead of a 100 meter race. Oh and we got the shotputs in and they're all a half pound too heavy, again, little oversight sorry. And the javelins are all 3 inches too long. And we're moving the 3 point line in basketball to something that doesn't match international play."

Just seems kind of odd that hockey is having its parameters changed like that when it likely wouldn't be allowed for most sports, that's all.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 09:02:27 PM

Except that in your examples you don't need to change the parameters of your entire stadium.

Hey it beats what they're going to do in London:
"I say, we don't much feel like building a baseball/softball diamond."

"Done! Those events are toast."

Well, not that Canada would ever drop hockey.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 09:14:33 PM by Special J »
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 09:28:01 PM

Never even occured to me that someone had a problem with the Inukshuk design. It's a little man, and it tells you where to go.

I could comment on the paisley pajama ski suits the Americans are wearing. I know its covered in little stars, but really, they make it look paisley.

My heart just broke watching the women's moguls. The worst part being, knowing that the last skier had won without waiting for the score - her run was that good.

As to the hockey - I fully get what you are saying, but I really don't care, because I really hate watching the oversized ice surface. So much space, nobody forechecks.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 09:56:43 PM

The opening ceremony had some interesting and cool visuals, but holy shit it was boring.  The opera chick's hair was very cool, however, lending some credence to the entire bit.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 11:00:25 PM

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 10:37:28 AM

Yeah, bigger rink can sometimes mean less forechecks, but it also means more wide-open hockey. I kinda like it fast. Plus, I'd like to see Ovechkin really open it up.

Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 11:47:04 AM

Phil and I watched Arissa Mirano do the moguls last night, that alone made the olympics worth it for me.
Yes, Arissa Mirano is Japanese.

The skinny downs kid running through a field on wires was pretty  ACK!.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 11:56:44 AM

Phil and I watched Arissa Mirano do the moguls last night, that alone made the olympics worth it for me.
Yes, Arissa Mirano is Japanese.

The skinny downs kid running through a field on wires was pretty  ACK!.

"Arisa Murata"

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 02:58:33 PM

Some of you might remember this year's Olympics for a guy dying before it actually started, but for me it will be Koreans in 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in speed skating until two of them wiped each other out and let the Americans medal.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 03:11:26 PM

That sort of thing is not uncommon in short track speedskating. Apollo's first Olympic medal was won in a race where the entire field but one skater crashed (the gold medal winner) and Apollo happened to be the first of the crash victims to crawl across the finish line for the Silver.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 03:40:47 PM

That Nordic Combined race was very compelling, particularly in an event that doesn't make much sense.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 04:16:49 PM

Being Canadian, I love the winter Olympics. Can't really get into the Summer games the same way.

Thought the opening ceremonies were boring, but I find most things like that boring. I usually just watch to see the athletes march in and to see the final destination of the Olympic Flame. Can't imagine how awkward it would have been to stand there waiting for the arms on the Cauldron to lift. Nancy Greene said later that they figured they had about a minute before the torches would go out as they ran out of fuel.

The women's moguls last night were awesome, I'm a sucker for those types of events. Moguls, anything snowboard related, freestyle ski jumping. It's amazing how much of an 'expert' I become while watching an event I'll watch every 4 years for an evening.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 06:26:42 PM

That sort of thing is not uncommon in short track speedskating. Apollo's first Olympic medal was won in a race where the entire field but one skater crashed (the gold medal winner) and Apollo happened to be the first of the crash victims to crawl across the finish line for the Silver.

Was that the one the Aussie won?  The look on his face was priceless.  "I...I won?!?"
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #28 on: February 14, 2010, 06:35:07 PM

Was that the one the Aussie won?  The look on his face was priceless.  "I...I won?!?"
Yup that was Steven Bradbury.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #29 on: February 14, 2010, 07:02:46 PM

That Nordic Combined race was very compelling, particularly in an event that doesn't make much sense.

Yep, I was actually out of my seat screaming, "GO YOU BASTARD, THERE'S A FRENCH GUY!"

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #30 on: February 14, 2010, 07:57:37 PM

All of Canada can now breath a sigh of relief as we finally win a gold (Men's Moguls). For those of you who didn't know, we had never won an Olypic gold on home soil (despite hosting two previous games).

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 14, 2010, 08:06:00 PM

Congratulations

Hic sunt dracones.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 14, 2010, 09:22:42 PM

That doesn't mean you should expect more. You have your gold, now we (USA) need 35 more.

- Viin
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #33 on: February 14, 2010, 09:31:53 PM

That doesn't mean you should expect more. You have your gold, now we (USA) need 35 more.

We win all the weird events though that involving jumping over shit with guns and skating for speed. Can't we just win a freaking hockey game?

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 14, 2010, 09:52:36 PM

Admittedly, good story and good kid too.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Vancouver Winter Games  
Jump to: