Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:56:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Vancouver Winter Games 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vancouver Winter Games  (Read 52583 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #175 on: February 28, 2010, 08:08:44 PM

Nah, it was a snipe. Miller's quote afterward that was he went for the pokecheck because he figured Crosby would deke. Crosby got his head up really fast, saw the pokecheck, and sniped it five hole according to Miller.

I wouldn't call it soft just because it wasn't top corner from the slot or a great deke.

But then again, I'm a huge Team Canada fan (to the point where I really watch all of the women's games, too) and a Crosby cheerleader. So take that for what it's worth.

It was a weak goal and a lucky shot. Aside from that, Iginla did all the work there.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: February 28, 2010, 08:16:37 PM

In his on ice interview after the game, Crosby didn't know how the puck went in. He said he just put his head down and shot it.

Not the wording that was used. He was asked about the goal and he said he couldn't remember. Which was actually what happened during the interview.

His head was up, as per Miller's quote and this picture:

It was a weak goal and a lucky shot. Aside from that, Iginla did all the work there.

Also you're insane and need to watch the entire sequence again.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #177 on: February 28, 2010, 08:28:03 PM

It went between Miller's legs, and the only way that was happening from that angle was if he tried for a pokecheck - which is exactly what Miller said. I'll go with the goalie's recount of what happened.
Had we lost that game, I would have had to endure an entire office full of people that barely understand hockey trying to tell each other why we lost - that would have been really painfull.

Just curious, did the American broadcast mention that we needed to win that game to set the Olympic record for most Gold medals in one games (14)?

The honking on the streets outside my condo went on for three hours afterwords.

Just watched the closing ceremonies - little odd to end it on a breakdancer doing a headspin. But we had Bill appear, so all is good. Also giant Mounties, canoes, beavers, moose, table hockey players, and we made the entire world watch Nickelback!

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #178 on: February 28, 2010, 08:36:36 PM

It would have been better if Crosby had actually scored on a really nice shot.

Instead, it was just a fairly weak goal.

Er?

It was an awesome game. Surely you're not suggesting that all the USA goals were spectacular displays of talent? (Hint: They weren't.)

Honestly that's just a whiny sour grape comment. It was an awesome game, Canada happened to win. Don't be a douche.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 08:44:41 PM by squirrel »

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: February 28, 2010, 08:38:01 PM

and we made the entire world watch Nickelback!

Punked.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: February 28, 2010, 08:46:44 PM

I was surprised at the lack of some country music at the closing ceremonies. Pleasantly surprised. I was disappointed they didn't use the good, old I am Canadian commercial, though. Shatner was a good substitute, however.

And no igloos for the stereotype show!? Everyone around me was surprised by their no-show.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #181 on: February 28, 2010, 08:50:10 PM

I was surprised at the lack of some country music at the closing ceremonies. Pleasantly surprised. I was disappointed they didn't use the good, old I am Canadian commercial, though. Shatner was a good substitute, however.

And no igloos for the stereotype show!? Everyone around me was surprised by their no-show.

Actually as most true Canadians know This is the song that had to be used, but was sadly overlooked :(

EDIT: Better video.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 08:57:22 PM by squirrel »

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #182 on: February 28, 2010, 08:53:06 PM

No Bryan Adams?

-Rasix
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #183 on: February 28, 2010, 08:56:38 PM

No Bryan Adams?

He did opening ceremonies. Keep up. ;)

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #184 on: February 28, 2010, 09:00:06 PM

That's ballsy. 

-Rasix
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: February 28, 2010, 09:26:35 PM

wat?

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Lianka
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: February 28, 2010, 09:53:23 PM

Just curious, did the American broadcast mention that we needed to win that game to set the Olympic record for most Gold medals in one games (14)?

They did, actually. 

My only beef with the NBC broadcast, other than the weird terminology Emrick (?) uses (it's a NET, not a CAGE.  A CAGE is what the women and juniors wear over their FACES!  Refs do not CARD, but at least you didn't say FLAG) was that it took them about 10 minutes to show the replay of the last goal.  Until I saw all the "OMG CROSBY!"s on Facebook, I thought Iginla scored the winning goal, since that was the last name I heard before Euphoria set in..
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: February 28, 2010, 10:51:30 PM

On the NBC hockey coverage: it was dreadful, and further confirmed my belief that any GM that would hire Olcyzk as a coach is in need of a mental examination. For U.S. audience, announcers seemed to bend over backwards to favor Canada but I didn't really care about that — all the silliness, no explanation on Olympic rule differences (some things I deduced naturally, but Good Gates, never even explained how OT worked, etc.…).

And why Mike Emrick is thought to be some great announcer simply escapes me.

That goes for the studio crew of Milbury and others too. About the only redeeming feature was Don Cherry (he's a clown, but at least he's entertaining) before the game.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #188 on: March 01, 2010, 04:03:30 AM

Er?

It was an awesome game. Surely you're not suggesting that all the USA goals were spectacular displays of talent? (Hint: They weren't.)

Honestly that's just a whiny sour grape comment. It was an awesome game, Canada happened to win. Don't be a douche.

Methinks the douches protest too goddamn much. I only suggested it was a weak goal. I made no statements about any of the other goals in the game, just that one. And if you'd quoted the rest of what I'd put in there, you'd see I said Iginla did most of the work and Crosby got lucky. It was a fucking awesome game and I'm glad Canada won. Hell, I didn't expect the US to even medal when the whole thing started. Don't ascribe shit to me unless I explicitly say it.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 04:50:00 AM by Surlyboi »

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #189 on: March 01, 2010, 05:31:50 AM

Eh, the game wasn't very good overall from what I saw.  Both teams didn't seam to be playing very well, but the American team seamed to be doing really shitty the entire game.   They weren't playing at the level they were before, and I figured it was a forgone conclusion half way through that they would lose when they just seemed to keep fucking up all game long.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #190 on: March 01, 2010, 05:33:55 AM

Well, to be fair, the Canadians didn't have Brodeur in net, so team USA had to work harder.

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: March 01, 2010, 09:39:32 AM

Well, to be fair, the Canadians didn't have Brodeur in net, so team USA had to work harder.

Yeah, first time in a while you had to play a goalie that forced you to pass to YOURSELVES to score.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: March 01, 2010, 09:42:55 AM

Yeah, first time in a while you had to play a goalie that forced you to pass to YOURSELVES to score.

Pretty harsh on a goalie that now holds all-time records and still stopping pucks at 92% clip with 7 SO this season…

I loathe the Devils and everything they represent in hockey, but come on, Brodeur is solid — even great goalies can have a bad game or two.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: March 01, 2010, 09:50:14 AM

I was just messing around.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #194 on: March 01, 2010, 09:55:30 AM

What is this "hockey" you all seem to go on and on and on about? Is it anything like Quidditch?

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #195 on: March 01, 2010, 10:21:01 AM

What is this "hockey" you all seem to go on and on and on about? Is it anything like Quidditch?

Going by this discussion, I can see why you would make such a mistake. awesome, for real
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #196 on: March 01, 2010, 11:07:05 AM

Great hockey game.

I'm gonna miss the curling. Especially Eve Muirhead. The pic a few pages back doesn't do her justice IMO. There was one other smokin' curling chick too. The CNBC's constant coverage of it has now got me to the point of wanting to try the damn game...seems pretty cool.

Overall, I enjoyed the games. USA and Canada owned, so I'm happy.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: March 01, 2010, 01:11:20 PM

Sunday's gold medal Men's Hockey game has become the most-watched television broadcast ever in Canadian history, with an average audience of 16.6 million viewers.

Nearly half of the Canadian population watched the entire game on average, while 80 percent of Canadians watched some part of the game (26.5 million).

This country was a ghost town for three hours yesterday.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Dr. Spoons
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: March 01, 2010, 01:15:02 PM

Pretty impressive ratings for the game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/People-watch-hockey-Gold-medal-ratings-huge-for?urn=nhl,224998

Sunday's game drew a higher overnight rating than every World Series game since 2004 (including every game of Yankees/Phillies last year), every NBA Finals telecast since 1998, and every NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four game since at least '98.

Excluding the NFL, the 17.6 overnight for the game is the second-highest of the year for any sporting event, behind only the Texas/Alabama BCS National Championship Game in January (18.2).
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #199 on: March 01, 2010, 04:50:25 PM

Er?

You're reading far too much into it. Hell, I'm not even really disappointed that Canada won, as I like players on both teams.

However, I still dislike Crosby, and still think it was a weak 5-hole goal. Entirely savable. Would have rather seen Canada win on a more spectacular effort.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: March 01, 2010, 11:00:27 PM

It was a weak goal.

But, in general, OT goals are usually garbage — seeing eye shots, scrum at the net and puck trickles in under sprawling skaters, goalie misplays, etc.…

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Vancouver Winter Games  
Jump to: