Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:15:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Tournament Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tournament Thread  (Read 39013 times)
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: March 06, 2010, 07:55:37 AM

Hoax, Schild and I ended up on the same team again last night.  Made it to the final game where we absolutely fell appart and did not play smartly or as a team and got crushed accordingly.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: March 06, 2010, 07:56:54 AM

Oh, and one of our 5 we picked up was a bit of dead weight, but I don't think he was why we lost the final.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
schild
Administrator

Reply #72 on: March 07, 2010, 05:19:25 PM

Bans:
Shaco - Us
Nidalee - Them
Blitz - Us
Mordekaiser - Them

Picks:
Jax - Them
Rammus / Teemo - Us
Malphite - Them

Powers:
Jax - Cleanse / Smite
Malphite - Smite / Exhaust

We lost.

They're also so tryhard it made the game unfun.

-

Game 2:
Bans:
Nidalee
Shaco
Mordekaiser
Jax

Picks:
Pantheon - Us
Them - Blitz / Malph
Fiddle - Us

WE GOT THIS HERE WE GO
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 05:25:09 PM by schild »
schild
Administrator

Reply #73 on: March 07, 2010, 05:37:20 PM

We lost. And we don't really care.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: March 07, 2010, 05:40:18 PM

Indeed, no way the team we lost to is making it to the finals though.  We didn't crushed and we didn't really practice the format at all or put much thoughts into our picks, both games were 2 kills to 1.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: March 08, 2010, 01:01:10 AM

Smite ?

To get an early golem buff ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
schild
Administrator

Reply #76 on: March 08, 2010, 07:18:33 AM

Smite ?

To get an early golem buff ?
Lizard, which I promptly stole in the first game by killing Jax with Ignite. They tried that shit in the second game but we had wards.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #77 on: March 08, 2010, 11:29:43 AM

March 11th is the big 3v3 TT tournament top 16 starting, it was 90 teams with big prizes ($50 RP + headsets, mice, kb for 1st place) so it has 2-4 really top teams in it with players most of the community will recognize.

I'm sure Messiah will stream and more info will show up on solomid if you look for it.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=71352  for lineups

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 11:32:51 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: March 08, 2010, 03:23:47 PM

I'm suprised they livestream these.  Seems to me it opens abuse potential for the other team to watch what they are doing.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #79 on: March 10, 2010, 07:58:03 PM

If you are serious about playing some tryhard signing up for Solomid's League system that is going live in a week or two is a good idea.  From what I can tell it may give us a chance to play with some very good players and learn some shit.  Nobody is 100% sure how it will really work in practice though.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Tsalrioth
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: March 11, 2010, 11:20:26 AM

Do they know when the league will be? Which days there doing I should say?  Could be fun to do depending on when it is.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #81 on: March 12, 2010, 10:08:13 AM

The way the league LOOKS like it will work is as follows:

-You join #solomid and check w/ the bot, it tells you there is a game waiting for more players or that there are no games currently running.
-Eventually you get together 10 people who want to play.
-The Bot selects team captains?  Or it randomly assigns teams based on the #solomid elo (not sure)
-I think it assigns captains and they pick teams from the 10, then there is an exclusive draft.
-You setup a practice game join, select the determined champs and play the game.
-When its over 6+ people who were signed up for that game need to report which  team won to the bot for the game to be counted.
-The bot will instantly change everyone who played's elo according to that result.

Rinse, repeat.

Basically its a way to get pick up tryhard games that will matter, how it will actually turn out in practice is anyone's guess.

-William Gibson
Tsalrioth
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: March 12, 2010, 10:28:43 AM

Ahh, interesting.  Looks to be what the old TDA games in dota were.  Should be good if it works out, that was always a good way to get quality players in the game and to get people who weren't going to be complete asses.  Well, maybe complete asses but at least they wouldn't rage quit.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #83 on: March 15, 2010, 08:41:52 AM

Ok so people were testing out the system yesterday and it works and anyone who wants to be tryhard should probably try it out.

Its 1-2-1 bans and 1-2-2-2-2-1 picks first ban picks second.

To give people an idea here are the picks in my games:

Bans
1 - Jax
2 - Fiddle & Taric
1- Nid

Picks
2 - Sivir
1 - Alistar & Annie
2 - Soraka & Malphite
1 - Nasus & Ashe
2 - Shaco & TF
1 - Gragas

another game:

Bans
1 - Jax
2 - Soraka & Nid
1 - TF

Picks
2 - Blitz
1 - Taric & Sivir
2 - Trist & Ashe
1 - Malphite & Fiddle
2 - Anivia & Nasus
1 - Corki

another game:

Bans
1- Alistar
2 - Taric & Jax
1 - Sivir

Picks
2 - Nid
1 - Amumu & Fiddlesticks
2 - Soraka & Warwick (to counter fiddle, this worked well)
1 - Ashe & Kayle
2 - Malphite & Tristana
1 - Nasus

How this all works in practice, you need to get an AUTHENTIC account on quaknet (the irc #solomid and #lolbeta are on).  If somehow you don't know irc, its free just download a client.

Usage: /msg Q HELLO user@host.com user@host.com

You need to specify your email address TWICE (to prevent typing mistakes). A link where you can obtain your password will
then be sent to the email address specified. You must read and reenter a code before you will be given your password.
You can then AUTH to Q.

Q accounts expire if you do not use them. This takes ~80 days of inactivity (no AUTH'ing) to happen.

the user@host.com is where you will put your email address. After you enter your email address you will recieve a email
from Quakenet with a link. Click that link and you will then see your Username and Password.

To auth yourself to Q, type the following command:
/msg Q@CServe.quakenet.org AUTH CobrettiX17 whateverpasswordtheygaveyou

Then to change your password you type the following command:
/MSG Q@CServe.quakenet.org NEWPASS whateveryourpasswordis Newpass Newpass

Every time you connect to quakenet you need to use the "/msg Q@CServe.quakenet.org AUTH UserName PassWord" command before the bot will be able to put you into games.

Now that you have a registered AUTH'd account on quakenet post in this thread following the post guidelines in the OP so that they can manually add you to the bot.

Once you are AUTH'd

/join #solomid

All bot commands start with "-" if you want to not be a dumbass unlike most LoL players you can double click on the bot (SoloMidBot) and just private msg commands to it instead of flooding channel.

Once you join you can use -authstatus to check if your acknowledged by the system and -authreq to be acknowledged if you've done everything else right.

The other commands you use are -gamestatus to see if a game is waiting for players and -sign to sign up for a game  that is waiting.  Once a game hits 10 the bot picks teams at random based on your league elo (starts at 1000) and you join a chat channel (lower left of pvp.net) that is the game # (i.e. if your in game 250 you join/create a chat channel called 250 in game) make sure you move to the right team in practice and join solomid vent.

texas2.nationvoice.com

Someone in irc or chat will give a match # and just move to that match and then once teams are picked that team's room to discuss picks/bans.  The picks/bans need to go fairly fast.

From what I've seen you need to have a variety of champs in mind to play thanks to the format.  You also need to speak up.  Don't give a hard and fast list at the start but chime in if you can play any of the champs your team is considering picking.  Certainly after the first 2-3 picks if there isn't a champ you feel you can use you need to let them know who you can play for the team.

I'd say Thrawn & myself are at the low-average end of the skill level for a marker of whats expected of players.  In every game almost everyone was 200+ wins or every close to it.  I haven't seen anyone with under 150 wins.  These people for the most part aren't a ton better but there are a lot more top 500 guys scattered in then we usually see.  PM me or talk in game if you have more questions.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 08:58:25 AM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #84 on: March 15, 2010, 09:39:20 AM

Too much work.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: March 15, 2010, 10:16:58 AM

Holy work Batman.  Authing looks like a huge pita.  Although this may be the type of thing I need to keep me interested in the game.  Even most of our "tryhard" game and tournaments lately have been such an uncoordinated mess.

Tsalrioth
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: March 15, 2010, 12:01:22 PM

Will have to try this, should be good for when nobody else is on and I want to get in a real game. 
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #87 on: March 15, 2010, 12:14:09 PM

Its quite tryhard, for me since I don't play a ton of champs and I've mostly tier whored its a bit nerve wracking seeing if I'll get a champ I can actually play worth a damn.

Had to play a game as Ashe (first time since beta) in a game where we got stomped as a team but I didn't help matters.

Just played one though, bans were TF, Jax, Nid & Blitz and teams were Ali, Singed, Karthus, Poppy & Trist versus Svir, Taric, Fiddle, Amumu, Ashe

You can not let the other team get Taric, in the two games I've seen him not banned the team w/out Taric has fucking steamrolled.  Also Trist is not a great counter to Fiddle, it seems Warwick > Gragas > Janna > Trist in the counter fiddle sweepstakes.  That or I haven't seen a pro Trist yet which is equally possible.  Typically the dps are picked last (picks like Trist, Ashe, Annie often come at the end) and as a result teams have a bad habit of not getting comfortable players on their dps champs.

I'm really of the philosophy that player comfort is more important than team comp and I've started to speak up a lot more when it comes to the draft process since some people just aren't that good at it and have a tendency to forget crucial shit like that Sivir wasn't banned or picked yet or that we're giving the other team the chance of picking Taric and Soraka if we're not careful.

Currently my team comp strat is to ask right away if we have any Nidalee, Taric, Alistar, Fiddle or TF players, like serious players of those champs.  If my team does we force the other team to ban them if/when we can.  Jax is pretty much 100% first ban with good reason.  Then you just need to keep in mind who can play what and not give them a team comp advantage.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 02:55:24 PM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: March 15, 2010, 05:51:58 PM

Authed, signed up, etc etc.  Took 5 minutes or less.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #89 on: March 15, 2010, 08:59:04 PM

More observations inc.

Ban candidates:
Jax, Taric, Alistar, TF, Fiddle, Sivir, Nidalee, Soraka + random champs that people know someone on the other team uses really well.  Teams that deviate from this usually get owned.

The four of those champs that weren't banned will be picked almost every time.  Sometimes neither team runs Soraka since she really forces your team comp.

Champs you should know how to play because they are often available and what the team needs at the end:
Physical ranged (Corki, Trist, Ashe) and to a lesser extent casters with high damage (Annie, Ryze & Anivia)

If you play at least one of those 6 well and in the perfect world 2 of each category you will have more fun doing this.  Otherwise its sometimes nerve wracking having to play tryhard with a champ you really don't know well or forcing your team to run a Gragas/Mord/Poppy/Janna type pick because you can't playing anything else.

There is also a huge lack of good Kass players and I think Kass would be a fucking amazing pick for this metagame.  He can fucking ruin fiddle if he finds him before he gets off his ult and he also can chase down and vaporize Sivir or TF.

The champs that you are bound to see in the game as picks:
Malphite or Amumu, these are your tanks unless Ali is unbanned.  Almost every game each team has one of them.  I've played one game that ran a Singed and one that ran a Rammus.

Nasus is pretty much taken every game since he fits in with almost any tryhard team comp so well but I've yet to see him banned.

My most recent game was: TF, Nid, Soraka, Warwick & Rammus versus Fiddle, Sivir, Nasus, Malphite, Ashe (we won) the bans were Taric, Alistar, Shaco & Jax.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 09:02:16 PM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: March 16, 2010, 05:27:03 AM

Thank for these posts Hoax, will be nice to have a bit of direction going into this.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: March 17, 2010, 05:10:16 PM

About to start my first league game, I'm on team 2, picks were -

Bans
1-Fiddle
2-Taric
2-Sivir
1-Jax

Picks
2-TF
1-Malphite
1-Nidalee
2-Alistar
2-Annie
1-Corki
1-Shaco
2-Kassadin
2-Ashe
1-Gragas

End Result

Game wasn't that exciting really, we were just better players.  A very well coordinated team would of given us much more challenge.  Also obviously I think our team makeup was much stronger.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 05:56:57 PM by Thrawn »

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #92 on: March 17, 2010, 07:47:13 PM

Looks like you team fought.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: March 18, 2010, 07:27:06 PM

Solo mid tournament two, on team two again, picks -
(probably wouldn't hurt to have a mod break these out into a "tournament reports" thread)

Bans
1-Jax
2-Taric
2-Nidalee
1-Sivir

Picks
2-Fiddle
1-Alistar
1-Soraka
2-Annie
2-Corki
1-Ryze
1-Trist
2-Malphite
2-Ezreal
1-Kassadin

Well that was painfull, not because we got crushed that badly, just because our Malphite was a terrible pub.  His ults were...wow.  At one point top turret has like 100 hp and they are 5 pushing it.  We call back on vent and start to back off, Malphite runs up, ults them and is promptly killed.  Later they are pushing and someone says on vent "If fiddle can ult in we take this fight."  Malphite immediatly ults them and after we lose the fight says "Well, not my fault, someone said fiddle was ulting so I went."  Etc. etc.  Obviously the heal heavy team was an issue as well and I think Ezreal really didn't help our cause, but I really place the blame firmly on our Malphite even if the scores may not reflect that.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 08:22:42 PM by Thrawn »

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: March 19, 2010, 06:20:19 PM

Solo mid tournament three, on team two, picks -

Bans
1-Jax
2-Fiddle
2-Nidalee
1-Sivir

Picks
2-Taric
1-Alistar
1-Soraka
2-TF
2-Annie
1-Ashe
1-Blitz
2-Amumu
2-Corki
1-Ezriel

Ezriel is simply not tournament level good, Blitz isn't really either.  But really a lot of the game came down to agreeing with what Hoax has pretty much already said.  If the other team has Taric, you lose.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 06:58:40 PM by Thrawn »

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: March 19, 2010, 07:55:33 PM

Solo mid tournament four, on team two -

I was very vocal about not agreeing with some of our pics/bans, so meh, we'll see how this goes.  I did not agree with Soraka ban or Nid first pick at all.  I even said, if we first pick Nid they will take Alistar/Fiddle and wreck us.  That and the fact that my 3 top characters were taken out early leaving me in an odd position.

Bans
1-Jax
2-Soraka
2-Sivir
1-Taric

Picks
2-Nidalee
1-Alistar
1-Fiddle
2-Malphite
2-Corki
1-Nasus
1-Tristana
2-Ashe
2-Rammus
1-Gangplank

Well, concerns were unfounded I guess.  I think we were out picked early but the later picks seemed to even it up a bit.  We knew their Fiddle jungled because someone just played with him and we shut him down hard.  We denied him early golem and then Nid harassed him constantly.  When I hit 6 Fiddle had just hit 4.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 08:34:21 PM by Thrawn »

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: March 19, 2010, 08:40:46 PM

Can someone explain to me the rules of those tournaments ? The whole thing about picks and bans somehow eludes me.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: March 19, 2010, 09:31:27 PM

Solo mid league game five, on team two, picks -

OMGROFLWTFLOL, we decided to all take a random pick.  You can set masteries and spells but your first random is your character.  It was one of the most fun games I've played in a while -

We could push down towers really hard really fast and we were able to kill baron and dragon really really fast as well.  That seemed to be a big deciding factor apart from a few people that couldn't play their chars very well.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: March 19, 2010, 09:35:09 PM

Can someone explain to me the rules of those tournaments ? The whole thing about picks and bans somehow eludes me.

Bans - Every banned character cannot be picked by either team.
Team 1 - bans one character
Team 2 - bans two characters
Team 1 - bans one character

Picks - Each teams picks the characters for their team, it's exclusive pick which means if one team takes a character it is no longer available to the other team.
Team 2 - one pick
Team 1 - two picks
Team 2 - two picks
Team 1 - two picks
Team 2 - two picks
Team 1 - one pick
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 09:41:50 PM by Thrawn »

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: March 20, 2010, 07:24:49 PM

Solo mid game six -

Bans
1-Jax
2-Fiddle
2-Sivir
1-Taric

Picks
2-Nidalee
1-Corki
1-Soraka
2-Alistar
2-Annie
1-Ezreal
1-Ryze
2-TF
2-Aniva
1-Gragas

I hate stupid people, take Nid, ask for solo mid, and then build AP, die a bunch to their solo and be useless.  We out-picked them so badly and then couldn't win a team fight because we didn't have enough constant focused damage.  They were good for sure, probably the best Gragas I've ever seen, but...meh.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 08:35:34 PM by Thrawn »

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: March 20, 2010, 09:34:06 PM

Solo mid game seven -

Bans
1-Sivir
2-Fiddle
2-Nidalee
1-Jax

Picks
2-Taric
1-Alistar
1-Corki
2-Malphite
2-Tristana
1-Kassadin
1-Gangplank
2-Annie
2-Ashe
1-Twitch

The scores speak pretty well as to what happened.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 10:56:40 PM by Thrawn »

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: March 21, 2010, 01:29:04 AM

So practice matches are the only way to set this up ? For some reason I can only use a handfull of my champs in those.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: March 21, 2010, 11:26:33 AM

Solo mid game eight -

Bans
1-Jax
2-Sivir
2-Nidalee
1-Taric

Picks
2-Fiddle
1-Alistar
1-Annie
2-Malphite
2-Ashe
1-Blitz
1-Corki
2-Singed
2-Tristana
1-Twitch

Raaapppeeedd.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 11:57:10 AM by Thrawn »

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: March 21, 2010, 12:26:05 PM

Solo mid game nine, on team 1 -

Bans
1-Nidalee
2-Jax
2-Sivir
1-Taric

Picks
2-Fiddle
1-Alistar
1-Tristana
2-Malphite
2-Soraka
1-Kassadin
1-Annie
2-Ashe
2-Corki
1-Blitz

Raaapppeeedd.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 12:56:55 PM by Thrawn »

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: March 27, 2010, 03:46:39 PM

Apparently Jax/Taric are globaly banned now, seems kinda dumb to me.  Isn't that the whole point of ban picks??  (seems I also had a game full of idiots, later on in another game someone said the same thing and the game host told him he's an idiot and to shutup, thats a likely season 1 rule and it's still in pre-season so it doesn't apply)

I'm also hearing that when they start "season 1" it won't be assigned teams by the bots.  The two people with the highest ELO will then captain pick the teams.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 06:10:11 PM by Thrawn »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Tournament Thread  
Jump to: