Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:36:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Caprica 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Caprica  (Read 17374 times)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

on: February 07, 2010, 08:32:26 AM

Third episode just aired. Anybody else watching it? It's interesting so far and they're already in full gear for making you hate the father. Waiting to see where this goes before I decide I really like it.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 09:24:38 AM

Just watched the third episode myself. I find parts of it interesting as well, mainly the Adamas.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 09:30:02 AM

This show is terrible!  What am I not getting?   ACK!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 09:39:02 AM

I'm bored to tears. I mean, the Cylon stuff is interesting from a sci-fi geek perspective, but Ron Moore and co. built their Galactica on soap opera drama. And that stuff's just a little too shallow for my tastes. But there's a whole industry built on this stuff, so maybe it's not 'for me'.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 09:55:45 AM

I refuse to watch this after the BSG finale. Fuck Ron Moore in his tiny earhole.

Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 10:25:41 AM

Space drama needs moar space.

AKA Gyoza
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 10:36:46 AM

I'm really enjoying it so far. Compared to other new sci-fi shows like Stargate Universe it's a masterpiece of storytelling.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 05:01:27 PM

I usually hate prequels as being little more than a lack of creativity crashing against the kneejerk business need to extend a franchise that doesn't have a future in its original timeline.

This one isn't bad either, but they don't have a story with a built in end like the source material did. So it could easily devolve into extend-for-extensions-sake endless drama. The pacing of the first three episodes so far seems to be leaning that way. First season BS:G would had this shit already wrapped up and Skinjobs running around Caprica already.

It should be more mass marketable because it's basically Earth in probably about 8-10 years. But it'd need to jump off the Syfy network to capture more than the BS:G folks. And I'm not sure that group is going to stick around. The whole premise is just different.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 05:19:36 PM

I like it, although I'm far more interested in what happens to the robot than any of the other characters (including the girl when she leaves the cylon and goes into virtual space).

I assume it will end one day with an army of cylon servants rebelling against their masters and declaring war, leading into the backstory to Battlestar Galactica?

I am hoping for something a bit more subtle than a story about a human who knows cylons are sentient but pretends otherwise in order to make lots of money selling them, but I fear that may be what we get. It will be interesting though if they give us people grappling with the question of whether to treat the cylons as living things or not, who are shown as actually thinking about the issue (and maybe making the wrong choice) rather than simply being evil.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 06:20:47 PM

I refuse to watch this after the BSG finale. Fuck Ron Moore in his tiny earhole.
Apart from creating the concept, he's not at the helm of this (yet of what's aired). Someone called Jane Espenson is. Moore and Eick did apparently throw that dude/girl out tho somewhen mid-season and took over.

Also, I'm interested if they're going to keep this robot bullshit up, or if they're making the CGI an exception and have the actress stand-in practically 99% of the time, because everyone close to her sees her and not the 2 ton bigass robot.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 06:22:33 PM by TripleDES »

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 07:09:32 AM

Apart from creating the concept, he's not at the helm of this (yet of what's aired). Someone called Jane Espenson is. Moore and Eick did apparently throw that dude/girl out tho somewhen mid-season and took over.

Also, I'm interested if they're going to keep this robot bullshit up, or if they're making the CGI an exception and have the actress stand-in practically 99% of the time, because everyone close to her sees her and not the 2 ton bigass robot.

Jane Espenson did alot of work on Buffy and some on Angel and Firefly if memory serves. Cue Schild's rant in 3..2...

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 07:23:18 AM

I have been enjoying this quite a bit, but as a tip, try to watch the uncensored version if you can.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 08:32:27 AM

donde esta el uncensored version?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 09:11:20 AM

I'm bored to tears. I mean, the Cylon stuff is interesting from a sci-fi geek perspective, but Ron Moore and co. built their Galactica on soap opera drama. And that stuff's just a little too shallow for my tastes. But there's a whole industry built on this stuff, so maybe it's not 'for me'.

This show has absolutely ZERO appeal on its own. That is a huge writing/directorial mistake. It is interesting in a BSG lore sense, but it has to be able to stand on its own to be successful.

I have never played WoW.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 10:32:06 AM

Maybe that's my problem.  I never watched BSG so I'm not into that lore or anything.  The acting isn't dreadful, in fact some of it was pretty good.  Some.  I just can't get into the story or the characters. 

Now if it were all giant robots, maybe battling rabid raccoons in Central Park during the real life Zombie Apocalypse - I'd so enjoy that!  Know what I mean?

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 05:47:10 AM

I've just recently watched all three episodes.  I liked it quite a bit.  I expect that I'm thoroughly broken, though, so there is that.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 12:46:07 AM

I've just recently watched all three episodes.  I liked it quite a bit.  I expect that I'm thoroughly broken, though, so there is that.

You're not alone but then again it has tapped into one of my more recent obsessions, namely, what happens when a robot/program gets to a level where you can no longer tell it's not human.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 09:55:17 AM

Watched the first hour of the first episode/movie on Hulu. I don't anticipate caring about watching the second hour.

harmonicker
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 02:52:04 AM

I dug the miniseries.  It started to develop a bit in ep. 3?(if miniseries is 1 and 2)  But,m after that the show hit the shitter. 

The character development really isn't there, and if I don't care about the characters what's the point.  The parental characters are flip-flopping all over the place and not in a way that expands them dimensionally, but in a Heroes way.  Ugh...

The show is just not coming together.

I'll watch the whole season, b/c I really liked BSG.  But, I do so somewhat reluctantly.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 10:01:16 AM

This show sucks.

AKA Gyoza
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 10:36:38 AM

Weird. People seem to be very polarized about this show. You either love it or hate it. And yet everyone seems to have liked BSG or they wouldn't have looked at Caprica in the first place.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 12:14:52 PM

There's no man appeal factor here.  It's just weak stereotypes, and even weaker drama.  No spaceship wars and hot chicks to give it awesome.  Zoe it hot, but she spends most of the show looking like a robot.  The robot would be cool, but it's currently just standing around in a basement (read:  not smashing things or shooting stuff) being tested.  And in the last episode I watched (or will watch for that matter) it was dancing.  And with this SyFy is completely devoid of any use what-so-ever.

AKA Gyoza
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #22 on: February 21, 2010, 12:46:23 PM

There's no woman appeal, either.  I don't think any of the acting is especially great in this series but sometimes a show is just so mundane that I can't really blame the actors for not giving it their best.

Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 21, 2010, 02:06:36 PM

What, you don't like the gay mafia planet?

AKA Gyoza
harmonicker
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 21, 2010, 08:15:01 PM

The gay mafia guy is the only likable character.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: February 22, 2010, 06:26:57 AM

The gay mafia guy is the only likable character.

I actually like most of the characters. I'm fixated on Zoey for previously stated reasons but in general I like them all. It's kind of weird to see William Adama as a young Mafia kid in the making though.

Speaking of Zoey, I wonder where they're going with the weird engineering guy and her. I keep waiting for her to reveal herself to him and him becoming another ally of hers.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 08:18:30 PM

I caught a repeat of Friday's episode last night and was thoroughly confused because I had no framework to put things into at first.  I figured out at least the basics of what was going on and did enjoy the show, although it looks pretty dark and dreary in a lot of ways.  I think I may have to record it going forward and see if I can find the previous episodes in order to get up to speed.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 05:34:41 AM

blah blah blah... and see if I can find the previous episodes in order to get up to speed.

Pretty sure you can watch all the previous episodes at syfy.com.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 05:49:09 AM

blah blah blah... and see if I can find the previous episodes in order to get up to speed.

Pretty sure you can watch all the previous episodes at syfy.com.

They are all on Hulu.

I enjoy this show, best ever? No. but if you are a fan of the Battlestar world, I think you can find much in this world coming of age story.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 10:34:30 AM

That show doesn't know what it wants to be. Its part Science Fiction, part Sopranos, part teen drama, part soap opera.

There are always parts I like and parts I find abhorrently annoying. I could watch entire episodes of that Permadeath New Caprica MMOG, and I suspect I liked the fifth episode because there was neither Lacy or her School teacher and about 5 seconds of Graystones wife.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 02:54:50 PM

Graystone's wife clearly has a fake American accent.  It's annoying.  I'm sure it bothers British people when Americans run around going, "Blimey you bloody bastard." 

I'm so sorry I watched the first two episodes of this show and the completionist in me compels me to give it yet another chance.  I really wish Comcast had better stuff on demand.  I think I'm really done now.

But, the comparison to the part of this show and the Sopranos is so in name only.  They both have mafia.  That's where it ends.  For instance, the gay mafia in the Sopranos was a fat guy getting head from some dude in a pickup, who when outed was beaten to death and a pool cue was shoved up his ass.  On the other hand, this show has the lipstick gay mafia - sleek metrosexuals with shirts off, tribal tattoos, and stilettos (the knives).  It's probably an attempt to blur our sexist perceptions of stereotypes.  It's also not very good television.

AKA Gyoza
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 09, 2010, 08:48:23 AM

I think the only thing that's currently making me wince is the whole 'Tamara Adama is the new Neo except her Matrix is red' deal.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 09, 2010, 09:26:33 AM

I can't really figure out why I'm watching this show still, but I am.  I mean, when do the killer robots start killing people?

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 09, 2010, 03:32:45 PM

I can't really figure out why I'm watching this show still, but I am.  I mean, when do the killer robots start killing people?

Probably the series finale.  awesome, for real

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 09, 2010, 04:43:22 PM

Heh, yeah, that'd probably make sense.  But at least have the almost killer robots do something for chrissakes.  Zoe just stands there all episode long doing nothing.  And at this rate it's going to be another half season before they manage to create a second sentient robot.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Caprica  
Jump to: