Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:25:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Pirates of the Burning Sea  |  Topic: Down to two servers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Down to two servers  (Read 13568 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: February 03, 2010, 11:23:16 AM

Does anyone care?  I do happen to disagree with the assertion that this is an awesome game.  It is so awesome that no one can stand playing it, I guess.

Important Information Regarding Pirates of the Burning Sea™ Account

Ahoy, Pirates of the Burning Sea Captains!

Population density has been the topic of much debate in the community over the last few months. What we're hearing is that Pirates is an awesome game that you really enjoy playing, but that it's a lot more fun when there's a critical mass of other players around to play alongside or against. Through feedback from the players and evaluation of server populations, it has become clear that key game features require higher density in order to function at optimum levels.

To push things in the right direction, we've decided to condense the current population onto two servers. On March 5, 2010 at approximately 12:01 AM PST, we will close the following servers: Blackbeard, Defiant, and Rackham. Beginning on February 5, 2010 at approximately 12:01 AM PST, you can transfer your characters from the affected servers onto one of the two remaining servers, Antigua or Roberts. At this time, character creation will be disabled on the Blackbeard, Defiant, and Rackham servers. We hope these changes will provide you with an even more enjoyable Pirates experience.

Important Dates

* 2/2/2010 05:00AM Patch 1.22 Goes live
    * 2/5/2010 12:01AM Character transfers open.
    * 3/5/2010 12:01AM Blackbeard, Defiant and Rackham servers are closed.

When can I start transferring my characters?

* You can transfer your characters beginning at approximately 12:01 AM PST on February 5, 2010 using our character transfer service at: http://www.burningsea.com/pages/transfer/.

What if my Pirates of the Burning Sea subscription isn't currently active?

* Between February 5, 2010 at 12:01 AM PST and March 5, 2010 at 11:59 PM PST, accounts of former players that were closed between January 22, 2008 and January 15, 2010 will be reactivated for up to twenty-nine (29) days of free play*, which will allow you to transfer your characters to the Roberts or Antigua server and try out new features that we have implemented since you last set sail.

To learn more about the closure of the servers and character transfer, please click here.

*This offer, and the period of free game-play described in this offer, expires on March 5, 2010 at 11:59 PM PST. This offer is only available for Pirates of the Burning Sea accounts that have been closed and inactive between January 22, 2008 and January 15, 2010 and is not available for accounts closed after January 15, 2010, current Pirates of the Burning Sea or Station Access accounts or for accounts that were banned or were not in good standing when its Pirates of the Burning Sea or Station Access subscription previously expired.
Entering billing information before expiration of the free play period on March 5, 2010 will terminate the free service and you will lose the balance of any unused free play period game time. In addition, if you re-subscribe to Pirates of the Burning Sea , you will not be entitled to any game time that may be included with the purchase of certain versions of, or other offers related to , Pirates of the Burning Sea . Sony Online Entertainment and Flying Lab Software do not ensure continuous or error-free access, use or availability of any game content, feature, game-play or server and may change, modify, disable, suspend or remove any such content, feature, game-play or server at their sole discretion.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 11:34:23 AM

If only they stripped out the land based combat I might of stayed longer than 6 hours.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 12:43:51 PM

Even if they had removed the land combat, the ship-to-ship stuff only stays fun for so long.  I'm not at all surprised by this. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 02:22:07 PM

While you could avoid land combat, you can't really have that game be 'right' without boarding combat, so just leaving it out wouldn't really have helped. It just needed to be *completely different*.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 04:51:17 PM

I think it was just the metagame that did me in. It was this weird blend of cutthroat pvp but not TOO cutthroat and then it's crafting-centric but not TOO crafting-centric since you need to have some diku in there and oh look at that I got tackled by a clicky super button by a Class X...

I so wanted to love it. I still do. Hell, I'll probably do that free month a little bit. It's just a classic case of them trying to do a few too many things with it thereby doing nothing super well.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 11:09:26 PM

* Between February 5, 2010 at 12:01 AM PST and March 5, 2010 at 11:59 PM PST, accounts of former players that were closed between January 22, 2008 and January 15, 2010 will be reactivated for up to twenty-nine (29) days of free play*, which will allow you to transfer your characters to the Roberts or Antigua server and try out new features that we have implemented since you last set sail.

29 days of free to play might make this server merge a potential nightmare. I wonder if the populations will spike during this, and if it will help at all with subscriptions.

Interesting that it took this long, some servers were ghost towns for a year now.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 05:24:59 PM

Ooh, I will probably play it at least a little. I miss the ship to ship combat, I found that a lot of fun. Like everyone else, though, the non-ship combat annoyed the shit out of me because it sucked so bad.

God Save the Horn Players
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 10:18:29 PM

Actually, my primary beef with the game was that I was forced to do ship combat in order to learn merchant skills.  Eventually I understood the devs wanted me to mostly grind ship combat instead of become a sugar baron, then I quit.  But I'm funny that way.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 10:58:59 PM

I enjoyed the hell out of ship combat, and also the PvP/port battles with ships, but can totally understand the dislike of Merchanting and needing to level combat wise. It's definitely not made easy by Merchants not really having combat skills, but it still wasn't that bad (except the grinding part).

The free to play started today, so I jumped in to get the feel of it again, and was amazed at all the stuff I still have accumulated there. It's amazing the society (guild) we once had, and the roster still showed 60+ people (who probably haven't been back to the game).

If anyone does head back into this game, I still haven't moved my character from Rackham, but I do still have numerous ship deeds and supplies to build them on my 50 Spanish Naval Officer. Might be going to Roberts, but haven't actually made the decision yet. I might stick around Rack just to see if anyone from our old society does log in.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 06:31:39 AM

How long was the patching process from scratch? Going to play a little with my free month but unsure if this needs to be an overnight thing or not.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 06:36:43 AM

I did not have this game installed anymore, and last night after getting home I downloaded the entire game and patches (~7GB) via the Station launcher in less than 2 hours. If you have install disks it might be significantly less.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 07:10:54 AM

So my character, the society leader of the small band of players we had from this game, is active again on Rackham and I can't actually decide which server I'd move to (which now have Moderate on Spain/Franch and Heavy on Rats/English). I did actually see two former Browncoats in game last night, and hope to see more Rackham Spanish from the glory days. Totally don't know what server to select, and see Spanish being a tough sell on either, and still don't see me paying again.

I also still can't believe they didn't fix some little annoyances and big time problems, and see much of the wasted potential. The sailing around for an hour thing is annoying as hell sometimes as are getting jumped/ganked, but I was just having fun with some combat maneuvers again.

Since I was also the society creator/leader/banker and had instituted a share/barter partnership between members, I can still offer assistance in the way of numerous items, deeds (Ships!), materials, goods and outfittings, with materials easily able to craft any ship but bundle or rated ships. I am actually sticking on Rackham as long as possible with my main character, so before transferring for anyone who returns, send me a game mail/tell/forum PM here if you wanted something.

Guild resources> just Ship Deeds
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 07:12:48 AM by taolurker »

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Pirates of the Burning Sea  |  Topic: Down to two servers  
Jump to: