Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:50:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Heirloom Items 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heirloom Items  (Read 69580 times)
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: March 17, 2010, 06:22:27 AM

As a warning/laugh: The LFD system's segmentation of older/HUUUUGE instances is slightly borked. Did BRD upper city last night, didn't get a reward, apparently a known issue. But that's now what bugged me: When you enter these segments, it doesn't TELL you what you zoned in for. So I wound up killing bosses because I had absolutely no idea where this segment "ended"

Sigh. Overall though, it makes the older huge instances entirely bearable. But nothing can make BRD less obnoxious, I guess. A+ still to the LFD system for leveling tanks.
Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: March 17, 2010, 09:47:27 AM

Been thinking about using the LFD tool to level my PvP warrior through the early 50s bracket (her career in the 49 bracket is one BG holiday from its end). I've sorta/kinda got some tanking stuff for her, but she is essentially a PvP twink. I have my doubts about this, though. Tanking a PuG through ST doesn't fill me with warm and fuzzy feelings.

I did do Mauradon a couple of times to get to 48 as my basic arms/PvP build. It was a little unnerving to have substantially more hit points than our "tank". And I did tend to pull aggro on massive OP or MS crits. And I did seem to tank almost as well as the "tank" on trash (that habit of constantly hitting glyphed sweeping strikes wasn't a good one in instances...). Guess we'll see. I never did like tanking for strangers back in vanilla and I'm still leery of it today.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: March 17, 2010, 10:21:53 AM

Lowbie tanking is pretty trivial. Spec rarely matters, just own a shield and it's all fair.

I've had (from level 10-53 now) one really bad pug healer. Beyond that the horrors of lowbie LFD is "crappy tank" who is really a dps warrior in leather with a 2h that flagged tank to get an instant queue. My last BFD group was thrilled that I had more than 3k health (4.4k, woo, I'm still.. half an 80's crit ;) )

My worst group was simply a priest who would NOT heal me. Absolutely refused. We did ST waiting for the kick timer to expire so we could punt them, because I was essentially just tanking through being overpowered, then healing my own self post pull. Dumbest part? The priest wasn't even DPS specced. Completely holy spec. Wasn't even nuking/smiting/meleeing or anything stupid. Just walking around.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: March 17, 2010, 12:40:54 PM

What ?

swamp poop

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: March 20, 2010, 04:00:40 AM

There's an addon called zygor's guide. I used it after completely skipping tbc and wrath. Got to 80 in less than 7 days played without any heirlooms.

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #75 on: June 05, 2010, 06:58:54 PM

It took under a fortnight of light play hours on a freshly levelled DPS class to get shoulder & chest heirloom items - the former from Wintergrasp, the latter from daily dungeons. So, I'm pretty confident that I'll get caster & melee shoulder & chests and three maces before Cataclysm.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: June 05, 2010, 08:04:00 PM

I think I said earlier in the thread, you can use the leather shoulders and chest for all melee classes and hunters if you have to.  So get leather first.

AKA Gyoza
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: June 05, 2010, 08:28:59 PM

I leveled a prot warrior with a leather chest piece just fine.

A month before Cata I plan on grinding out a full set of Warlock gear for my new goblin.
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: June 15, 2010, 10:37:01 AM

Heirloom items capped at 80.

Likely that the xp bonus will still apply (?)... but stats will not progress.

Not completely unexpected; guess you will have to farm your Tier1 heirlooms then shift to T2 heirlooms.

The current heirlooms will stop growing after level 80. There will be a whole new crop of heirlooms for Cataclysm. Goblins and Worgen will be able to start using heirlooms immediately at launch. (Details on Wowhead)

Originally quoted on MMO Champ
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: June 15, 2010, 10:41:25 AM

No, I think the new heirlooms will still work the same way.  You'll be able to gift them to level one characters.  It's just that the old ones won't progress with you after you ding 80 and the new ones will.  I'm pretty sure, at least. 

AKA Gyoza
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: June 15, 2010, 12:10:30 PM

Yea I just assumed you'd need to buy new (1-85) heirlooms with Cataclysm Badges or whatever.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: June 15, 2010, 12:12:04 PM

No, I think the new heirlooms will still work the same way.  You'll be able to gift them to level one characters.  It's just that the old ones won't progress with you after you ding 80 and the new ones will.  I'm pretty sure, at least. 

Yes, I guess I should clarify, I meant that out of the gate at level 81, you will suffer stat deficiencies - and since few of us will have whatever the currency they will require us to use to buy the T2 heirlooms, there will be a period where T1 will only be available.

It applies to some of the folks who were implying that they were stockpiling heirlooms for the expansion leveling.  But, yes, it is reasonable to assume that the T2 (once attained) will work for level 1 characters just as the T1's do now.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: June 15, 2010, 12:51:17 PM

It applies to some of the folks who were implying that they were stockpiling heirlooms for the expansion leveling.  But, yes, it is reasonable to assume that the T2 (once attained) will work for level 1 characters just as the T1's do now.

When people say this, I'm assuming they are going to level up a new Worgen or Goblin from scratch starting release day.  Realistically, by the time you hit 80, you will have given up your heirlooms.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #83 on: June 15, 2010, 01:44:13 PM

I dunno - I would imagine that you'll keep the XP bonus items to 80 if that aspect still works to 80, and only replace other heirlooms between 68-78 based on what you can get from non-heroic dungeons. You can probably do the post-80 content at a reasonable pace at 78 (maybe earlier for some specs) so that's when you'll likely start replacing non-XP heirlooms.

Hopefully there's a good selection of blue quality weapons early in the post-80 quest content that have stats appropriate for the inevitable new scaling that makes level 80 epics crappy. That's the first heirloom I'll be looking to replace.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Ratama
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: June 15, 2010, 06:39:18 PM

Fiery Weapon.  Thank me later.
Just a head's up for folks, but Unholy Weapon is as of a couple patches ago ~2x as good as Fiery; same proc rate, just over twice the damage (Shadow) on average, and a minor damage debuff  (the debuff makes it a binary resist effect; so if you stack as much hit as possible, it becomes even better, iirc).  Still a fucked-up appearance on many weapons, though; the twin skulls spin off-kilter on several heirloom models (from personal experience: 1h mace and 2h axe are fucked up; Thrash Blade, daggers, and 1h sword are fine).

Also, in the same patch, Icebreaker and Lifeward got buffed to all hell; again, ~5 procs/minute just like fiery, only ~250 damage on IB, and ~350 healing on Lifeward.

I've seen my GF's un-twinked 72 Druid literally killing 20-30+ rhinos in Borean solo as Bear... and ending each said slaughter at full health (each swipe hit can proc LW... yeah, it's that broken; a twinked 60 bear could prolly solo Rampart trash fairly easily).  Just get any level 60+ non-sword 2her, a Lifeward scroll, and go to town.  I would also recommend Lifeward for anyone leveling a 60+ DPS Warrior solo.

Haven't been on WoW much in the last ~4 months, though, so maybe (hopefully?) Swipe-procs were nerfed.

Spare the rod, spoil the dev.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #85 on: August 24, 2010, 08:43:53 PM

Another of my endless re-noob questions - someone mentioned that the leather chest works for other classes, but how high/long are they useful? I have a 71? Rogue, a 62ish pally and then a 41 hunter I probably/may never level.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: August 24, 2010, 09:16:32 PM

It'll take the rogue to 80, if you stick to PvE. The hunter to 40 easily, but would probably get you to TBC without any real issues. There are some seriously good mail quest rewards early on there, but it could fill any gaps in blues as you level up. The paladin...I wouldn't go there. The itemization is just kinda bad for warrior/pally. What makes any of these chests attractive in the PvE game is the +experience bonus. However, it's really substandard for the plate classes in terms of performance.

Personally, I'd just ante up for the plate BoA chest and rock on.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #87 on: August 24, 2010, 09:25:35 PM

Oh I mean all three of those are Alts - I have an 80 Mage I  am gearing up now but am also looking into which heirloom items to get later on - after I get my mammoth (tonight?)

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: August 24, 2010, 10:19:04 PM

Honestly you could rock the leather chest on your hunter to 80. It's got the right stats, just the wrong armor type, but if you're getting hit as a hunter you'r doing it wrong. I wouldn't put it on a pally, however.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #89 on: August 24, 2010, 10:52:02 PM

Thanks. Though I just remembered that (like everyone else) I also have a DK.
Since I have no intent of ever playing a warrior the plate wasn't really somewhere I wanted to spend points, but the dk makes it a real option

Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: August 24, 2010, 11:00:09 PM

Err.  You won't replace the leather chest until 80 no matter what on any of those.  It's got 5% extra xp.  If you take it off for a quest reward, you're a fool.  I really doubt there is a quest reward that is better aside from that, even.  The agility isn't really great for a Pally, but fuck it.  It still converts to melee crit.  Unless you have extra badges and want to get the specialized heirloom chest for each type, or only ever plan on leveling one alt, get the leather.  And before you get a different armor class chest, get the leather shoulders.  I leveled a hunter with them, and it works very nicely.

AKA Gyoza
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: August 25, 2010, 11:06:07 AM

If you are really serious about the most bang for your buck, get the cloth shoulders.  I've seen pallys and warriors in BGs with them.  Put the pvp shoulder enchant on it and that will turn on at lvl 70 to get some of the stats out of it.  I've not seen anyone go full on with the robe as well, but for sheer speed of leveling, that might be worth it.  Shoulders are easy to get though.  200 WG shards for the ones with resilience. 
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: August 25, 2010, 11:09:31 AM

Its worth getting a set for each armor type in my opinion, especially if you don't raid, its not like the badges are really useful for getting a bit better gear when you don't need it anyway.  Getting the chest and shoulders for every armor type was something I did pretty much as soon as I had a reasonable set of epics on my main.  Then again, I'm a little crazy sometimes.
Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: August 25, 2010, 11:16:14 AM

Its worth getting a set for each armor type in my opinion, especially if you don't raid, its not like the badges are really useful for getting a bit better gear when you don't need it anyway.  Getting the chest and shoulders for every armor type was something I did pretty much as soon as I had a reasonable set of epics on my main.  Then again, I'm a little crazy sometimes.

This.

I've seen a lot of people with inappropriate BoA armor types in BGs, too. Presumably, it's for the xp bonus, but to me it's an HK bonus, since they're invariably easy kills. Just sayin'...
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: August 25, 2010, 05:23:13 PM

Its worth getting a set for each armor type in my opinion
Yup.  I've got the sets for plate, cloth, and melee leather (those were the alts being leveled) and it's been pretty awesome.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #95 on: August 25, 2010, 08:45:22 PM

Nod. Point taken. I guess it's going to be which to get first. I got the Alliance Mammoth last night, but then I realised that it's probably identical to the one the guy who sells them is sitting on, which in turn is almost identical to the mammoth I already have with Gnimo and Hakmut that can carry other people, so I just sold it back.

I'm sitting on about 355 tokens atm. I've gotten the wife to commit to playing for at least an hour each on the Druid alts, Blood Elf clothie alts and DK alts on the weekend, so she can decide which alts we're going to go for first and which armour sets. I figure that's the best way to work it out. I can quest-level my rogue the last 9 levels without much hassle, I'm sure. It'll depend on which character she likes since duoing is a hell of a lot more fun than soloing, and I've got enough extra alts sitting around unwashed that I'll always be able to get double-use out of any items. (and then just go for the next sets as I continue to catass Heroics).

She's got a BE Lock and alliance DK and Druid, as well as her 80 mage.
I've got a BE Priest and alliance DK, Druid I play/duo with her, then solo-alt Lock, Pally, Rogue all to pull double-use from the 3 armour types. And my 80 mage to do the farming.

How well does Heirloom cloth work for druids in the teens-20s? I'd imagine it's decent for awhile? - And how are the (cloth) shoulders that got mentioned as awesome for PVE levelling? I get the feeling she's going to choose the BElfs.

It'll be a ton of catassing to get 3 sets of armour as well as weapons, though. Especially since I'll have to do the majority of the catassing on her character as well. At least it's just 2 armour pieces (chest/shoulders) for Hierlooms, right? Right?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Oh yeah - I saw the post about them only being good till 80 - well TBH, if people are going to be replacing Tier 9s or whatever from quests in the first zone of Cata, then it won't matter much if the Hierlooms don't work for the last 5 levels. That's the way I see it, anyway.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: August 25, 2010, 09:16:17 PM

The cloth would work fine on druids as long as the druid is resto or balance; spellpower is less than useful for ferals, however. Besides the armor and weapons, there are also Heirloom trinkets.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #97 on: August 25, 2010, 09:51:27 PM

Keep in mind that Cataclysm will incentivize you to wear your own armor type through some extra stat bonuses so it will probably be more worth your time to stick to the right kind of armor.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #98 on: August 25, 2010, 10:40:58 PM

Nod. By the time cata rolls around I hope to have the 3 sets and a few appropriate weapons. It's just a matter of which to get first.

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: August 26, 2010, 03:57:48 AM

The cloth would work fine on druids as long as the druid is resto or balance; spellpower is less than useful not at all useful for ferals, however. Besides the armor and weapons, there are also Heirloom trinkets.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Luxor
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: August 26, 2010, 11:01:02 AM

Nod. By the time cata rolls around I hope to have the 3 sets and a few appropriate weapons. It's just a matter of which to get first.

Remember though that the heirloom items you have will only work up to level 80 in cata, after that you need to buy the new 1-85 heirlooms that cata will have. In addition to which there are another another 2 heirloom types in cata - head item which gives 10% and back item which gives 5% xp , oh and not forgetting the guild xp bonus which hits 10%. They sure want you to level fast, anyone would think cata doesn't have enough content or something.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: August 26, 2010, 02:07:54 PM

i believe they are also adding Heirloom Legs (and possibly an heirloom ring as well).

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #102 on: August 26, 2010, 02:25:05 PM

So, they just want you to basically cruise through leveling with a full set of heirloom gear at some point?  Ohhhhh, I see.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #103 on: August 26, 2010, 02:28:11 PM

There's already a ring, I think you have to win the fishing contest to get it though.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #104 on: August 26, 2010, 05:59:37 PM

Yes, there is a 5% xp fishing contest ring.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Heirloom Items  
Jump to: