Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:32:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Titan Quest Guys, Grim Dawn ask for money a la Mount & Blade. Only not like M&B 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Titan Quest Guys, Grim Dawn ask for money a la Mount & Blade. Only not like M&B  (Read 20942 times)
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: February 27, 2014, 09:48:35 AM

heh I didn't see date
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: December 29, 2015, 08:24:44 AM

ARISE!

Bought this on Steam sale since everyone was talking about it over there, seems pretty good. I guess I'm in Act 2, but the game doesn't really make act transitions clear. Playing as a dual wielding Nightblade/soldier; took two restarts to find a playstyle that clicked with me.

I get some loot lag on my desktop, but not on my laptop (which is newer, but way lower specs) which is strange.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 29, 2015, 11:30:57 AM

Heh. Was going to post in this thread the other day, but didn't feel like necroing. Seeing as someone else beat me to it though, if you bought this a while back and were waiting until it was more "done" (like I did in freaking 2010), it's pretty much there at this point. They dropped a "content complete" patch right before Christmas. All acts are there, and they've added the final two difficulty levels. Level cap ended up at 85, and they implemented the final tier of equipment, lots of which are build defining types of things. Also, the previous patch introduced the devotion system which is a whole other layer of character development in a pseudo-talent tree system. It's definitely a more than worthy successor to Titan Quest at this point.

It's not entirely clear what else is going to go into the game before launch. Some of the side quest threads just suddenly drop off, but it's not clear if they're going to finish those up in the main game, or if they're saving them for the expansion. It might just be balancing patches from here on out.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #38 on: December 29, 2015, 11:57:28 PM

I bought this at some stage, apparently from Humble, but have no idea where or how to download the client.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 30, 2015, 12:32:18 AM

I bought this at some stage, apparently from Humble, but have no idea where or how to download the client.

Humble Bundle should have a steam key available for you. You can either log into your account on their website, or use their key resender page https://www.humblebundle.com/resender
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #40 on: December 30, 2015, 12:52:13 AM

Yeah, I found the key, just not where to download the client from, and the GD homepage seems to allow me to buy but not download it...

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 30, 2015, 02:00:51 AM

Yeah, I found the key, just not where to download the client from, and the GD homepage seems to allow me to buy but not download it...

Like I said, my key was for Steam. Actually, I've got both a steam key and a longer non-steam key listed on my humble bundle account. If for some reason you don't have a steam key listed on your humble bundle account, I think you might be out of luck for the next few months unless you talk to them. From their website purchase page "There will be an option to download the final game DRM free but to participate in Early Access, you must have a Steam account"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #42 on: December 30, 2015, 04:10:26 AM

How does it fare compared to Diablo 3 and Path of Exile?

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: December 30, 2015, 06:31:49 AM

How does it fare compared to Diablo 3 and Path of Exile?

I'm only level 30 in this game and have 12 or so hours of actually playing the game (Steam has be at 16 but I've idled a bit).

It's fully offline with multiplayer options.
The animations and feel of combat is much better than POE but not as butter smooth as D3. It's still pretty good though.
Character building is really great, I've been enjoying it.
It's not randomized, but I think they have some kind of max level farming maps for endless grinding and farming that are somewhat randomized. I've heard people mention Rogue-like maps?

It's your typical ARPG. Class system is really fun though. You pick a class, then at level 10 you pick a secondary class. Every level you get 3 points to place in either tree, after 50 you get only 2 per level. You can go fully one tree or go hybrid. It's typical D2 progression where you can put multiple points in a single skill to make it better. Gear can have skills/passives on it that you can equip. There is a Devotion page where you can put points into constellations that give additional stats and skills once complete. You get points for this by cleansing shrines spread throughout the maps. You can get up to 50 points to play with and you won't get 50 points until you play through multiple difficulties.

I think the game is pretty good and definitely worth $15 on steam for sure.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: December 30, 2015, 08:00:38 AM

Draegan's got it right. I don't like it as much as POE, but I can't play POE at work because our internet is awful (evidence: dropped from Wifi the first time I tried to post this). Plus the last big POE patch killed my main so I've been away a while.

I think I'm in early Act 3 Normal and I'm level 34. I have 27 hours logged but I restarted twice.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #45 on: December 30, 2015, 11:18:23 AM

It's basically an evolution on the Titan Quest formula with a lot of niceties and design problems corrected. So basically it fits a niche between Diablo 3 and Path of Exile pretty nicely.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: December 30, 2015, 11:30:16 AM

It's not randomized, but I think they have some kind of max level farming maps for endless grinding and farming that are somewhat randomized. I've heard people mention Rogue-like maps?

I think they just call them rogue-like because of the difficulty. They're not any more randomized than the rest of the game, which is to say, the general layout is always the same, but they randomize obstacles blocking off passages. It took me a long time to realize that the main game does this also because you never notice it except on tight maps with corridors.

Basically there are two areas that you need to craft a skeleton key to enter, which requires some not terribly hard to farm materials from the main game. Once you've got your skeleton key, you use it up to enter the area, and the door closes behind you, and you can't open portals, so one death and you're out and will need to craft another skeleton key to enter. The maps are pretty rough, and steadily scale up monster level. By the end of the dungeons, the monsters are going to be almost entirely red and purple (around five to six levels up from you)

Personally, this is has been my go to ARPG whenever they patch. I've got no idea how many hours I actually have logged because I keep the game running all the time, but it's certainly well over 100. If you like ARPGs, you'll get your money's worth out of it.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 30, 2015, 12:41:32 PM

I found the first roguelike, the one in the Steps of Torment. Got my ass kicked pretty fast once I used the key and haven't went back. I turned off displaying mob level because I found myself running from greys and that wasn't much fun, so I don't know how much higher than me they were.

Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: December 30, 2015, 01:52:20 PM

I found the first roguelike, the one in the Steps of Torment. Got my ass kicked pretty fast once I used the key and haven't went back. I turned off displaying mob level because I found myself running from greys and that wasn't much fun, so I don't know how much higher than me they were.

Yeah, it's a good thing messing around with character builds is so much fun because you'll probably end up doing a lot of it. This game ramps up the difficulty a pretty good amount at higher levels and difficulties and some builds just hit a wall. You can respec to a certain extent, but usually by that point I've picked up some sort of nifty looking item I want to try with a completely different character so I just start over.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: December 30, 2015, 02:51:53 PM

If I needed a complete respec I'd just cheat in infinite money and handle it.

Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 30, 2015, 07:29:23 PM

If I needed a complete respec I'd just cheat in infinite money and handle it.

You'd need to cheat the stat and mastery respec also. You can't respec mastery or stat points if you're playing fair, just skill points.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: January 05, 2016, 09:16:22 AM

This scratches the "character building" itch that D3 completely failed at while playing and looking slightly better than PoE.

I am the .00000001428%
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #52 on: January 05, 2016, 01:39:17 PM

Purchased this on steam sale after Christmas.  At the same time I was going into a 10 day holiday (Russia takes New Years through the entire first week of January off because they celebrate some weird pagan form of Christmas).  A time period of which I cannot leave the city because I'm on call for all of US Embassy Moscows' tech issues during this week, and its been about 0 degrees F outside since new years, making the process of leaving my apartment incredibly painful.  The net result is that I've been playing this god damn game non stop for days on end.

It's really fun.  I played PoE..... couldn't get into it.  This has much faster game play and animations like Diablo (though not as well done/polished as diablo), but still retains the character building aspect we all miss.  An actual fun and intuitive character building aspect, unlike the weird cluster fuck PoE is.  It's a really nice blend of all the nice features modern ARPG games have introduced, while still giving you the option to reaaaaally customize your character (which I love).  I honestly wish I'd purchased this early release game at full price.  They deserve it.  As a caveat, they made it feature complete right before the sale, so I've been basically playing a full game instead of an early early access game.  They plan on releasing one more patch to polish it, and then launch it as a full game on steam.

Buy this game if you like ARPG/Diablo clones at all.  It scratches that itch in a way NO OTHER attempt has tried since Diablo 2.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 01:41:18 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #53 on: January 05, 2016, 02:24:52 PM

Still says "Early Access", won't buy.  The feedback is encouraging, though, so I'll probably pick it up when it's confirmed finished.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: January 05, 2016, 02:31:01 PM

Still says "Early Access", won't buy.  The feedback is encouraging, though, so I'll probably pick it up when it's confirmed finished.

Meant to be in February. I'm sure one of us will bump the thread when it's official.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: January 05, 2016, 02:58:25 PM

I've just played the game all the way through from start to end boss.  They've already announced its feature complete.  There will be exactly one patch between now and release to polish it a bit more for the general public.  I mean, by all means, wait a month until it "officially launches" if it makes you feel better.  But it's a done game, and a really good example of how early release is a positive thing.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
drogg
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: January 05, 2016, 03:13:42 PM

fully agree with what teleku said - i bought this way back in 2010 on the strength of titan quest but had set it aside after the early alpha to avoid burning out.  just came back during the last patch and haven't been disappointed. 
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: January 05, 2016, 03:37:51 PM

Yeah, this game is finished even if still technically in "early access".  Also very fun.

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: January 11, 2016, 10:42:19 AM

Still says "Early Access", won't buy.  The feedback is encouraging, though, so I'll probably pick it up when it's confirmed finished.

It's content complete, as in the game is fully there from level 1 to the last boss. All classes are in and fleshed out. Also has 3 levels of difficulty. The only thing that is left is balancing, which is probably never done. It's essentially finished from my take.

edit: Hit reply wayyyyy to quick. Adding my voice to others.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: January 11, 2016, 01:53:35 PM

Yep, and it's *so* much better than PoE. Really shows up that PoE has gotten lost in its own bizarre skill and talent system - the classes are fun, there's insane amounts of synergy between them to find, and then there are multiple other systems laid over them but none of it overwhelms you like PoE does.

My little gaming group is utterly addicted right now.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: January 11, 2016, 04:20:55 PM

Finally beat the game on my dual wield blademaster, promptly got my shit kicked in at the start of elite.  I guess i should have thought about resists at some point.

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: January 11, 2016, 04:38:04 PM

I'm rocking a sword and board battlemage that hardly ever takes damage. I'm lvl 45 and I just need to grind to 50 before finishing normal. At 50 the u get a legendary item as a drop.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: January 11, 2016, 11:21:36 PM

My Dreeg's Evil Eye Warlock is doing well so far, though I'm only level 24, so there's plenty of time for things to go to hell.

My favorite drop so far
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 07:14:25 AM by Cadaverine »

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: January 12, 2016, 07:03:45 AM

My Dreeg's Evil Eye Warlock is doing well so far, though I'm only level 24, so there's plenty of time for things to go to hell.

My favorite drop so far

Your link doesn't seem to work, even copying it from the quote.

I am the .00000001428%
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: January 12, 2016, 09:05:50 AM

Finally beat the game on my dual wield blademaster, promptly got my shit kicked in at the start of elite.  I guess i should have thought about resists at some point.
Yeah, this happened to me with my duel wield pistol Sorcerer.  I was killing the hell out of shit till I got to the last boss, who killed me about 100 times.  Had no Chaos resists though.  Then I got into Elite and got the shit kicked out of me constantly right out the door.

The game really ramps up from totally casual to "PUT SOME THOUGHT INTO YOUR GOD DAMN BUILD IDIOT" with the jump up to Elite.  It was hard going and kind of annoying at first.  But I redid my skill allocations, and prioritized armor stats differently, and now I'm chugging along at a good pace (Level 68, into the third act on Elite), and only dying to particularly hard bosses.  You just have to really start looking at defense skills as well as resists if you want to survive.  Glass cannon builds magically stop working the second you hit Elite.  Its a good recapture of the Diablo 2 experience.

So yeah, everybody just be prepared for that, fair warning.

Also, using Chaos Bastion to level up and gear up through the 50's it 60's is really effective (though the runs take awhile.  A lot of ground to cover, and some shit in their takes awhile to kill).  I had to farm that a bunch to effectively bridge me over to being able to run in Elite smoothly.

-Stephen Colbert
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: January 12, 2016, 03:22:51 PM

A very good place i found for farming is the royal hive in the rotting croplands outside homestead.  Small area just jam packed with bosses, between the two sub-tunnels and the secret area there is like 6-7 bosses in there.  Only problem is the random unmarked spawn location.

I am the .00000001428%
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: February 23, 2016, 06:12:07 AM

Its leaving early access in two days, 25th of february. Bought it on steam during the christmas sale because all you guys hyped it and looking forward to play this now.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: February 25, 2016, 09:10:52 AM

Bought this on sale at some point. Going to install it now and be ready for launch.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: February 25, 2016, 10:41:19 AM

It's really worthy playing for a bunch of hours. I never went deep into Elite unfortunately. D3 launched the latest season when I was hitting that mark and I just ended up getting tired of ARPGs for the moment.

I'll have to check out all the balances passes in the last 2 patches.
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: February 25, 2016, 10:56:39 AM

I played a soldier to act 3, and then a shaman to the final boss, who kicked my arse. I can go back and level up, but a few of us are playing new season D3 at the moment and i can only play 1 ARPG at a time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Titan Quest Guys, Grim Dawn ask for money a la Mount & Blade. Only not like M&B  
Jump to: