Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:40:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Titan Quest Guys, Grim Dawn ask for money a la Mount & Blade. Only not like M&B 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Titan Quest Guys, Grim Dawn ask for money a la Mount & Blade. Only not like M&B  (Read 20961 times)
Azazel
Contributor

on: January 19, 2010, 07:05:11 PM

From an email via titanquest.net

I know that many of you may not know about Grim Dawn yet (seeing as it is still a long way off from being complete), so at the end of this post I will give everyone a little background on who Crate Entertainment is, and links to find out even more information.

From the Grim Dawn Support page:

Quote:
We have received many emails from enthusiastic fans asking if they could donate money to Crate Entertainment and Grim Dawn. After the success our friends at Unknown Worlds have had with pre-orders of their upcoming “Natural Selection 2” (Gamasutra article: Pre-Sales Completely Changed Our Financial Picture), we've decided to follow their lead.

We hope that with your donations, Crate will be able to keep Grim Dawn privately funded, develop more content for the initial release and perhaps even sneak in some of the new features most requested by our fans.

The greatest impact of pre-ordering now is that it will help save us, the developers, from having to give up the intellectual property rights to Grim Dawn in exchange for additional funding. This is not only important for us as a company but it has benefits for you, our audience, as well. It means that Crate will be able to continue interacting openly with the community and freely sharing information. Post-release we will be able to decide when to work on updates for the community and what to include in them. Most importantly, you will be giving us control over the future of our creation; allowing Crate to produce expansions and sequels without having to pitch each new project to an IP-holder that could potentially decide to discontinue the Grim Dawn franchise.

We hope that you will show your support and help us to build a great game with as little developer starvation as is necessary. We consider these contributions to be donations because Grim Dawn is a yet unfinished project still early in development. However, we've structured them as pre-orders so that fans who want to help fund the development of Grim Dawn will not have to pay again to buy the game after release. Clicking a button below will take you to a PayPal site where you'll have the option to pay by PayPal account or major credit card. Once the transaction is complete, you will be emailed a CD-Key that will allow you to download Grim Dawn directly from Crate Entertainment on release day. 

There are three different ways that you can help support the game, and depending on what approach you take, depends on what "extras" you get with your support.

HTML Code:
╔═══════════════════════════╦═══════════════════════════╦═══════════════════════════╗
║  Legendary Fan Edition    ║     Epic Fan Edition      ║       Normal Edition      ║
╠═══════════════════════════╬═══════════════════════════╬═══════════════════════════╣
║■ Direct-download the full ║■ Direct-download the full ║■ Direct-download the full ║
║  game upon release        ║   game upon release       ║  game upon release        ║
║■ Entry to alpha and beta  ║■ Entry to beta            ║■ Knowing you made the     ║
║■ TBA in-game accessory    ║■ TBA in-game accessory    ║  world a little better    ║
║■ Holy Reverence           ║■ Bragging Rights          ║                           ║
╠═══════════════════════════╬═══════════════════════════╬═══════════════════════════╣
║         $48.00            ║          $32.00           ║          $19.85           ║
╚═══════════════════════════╩═══════════════════════════╩═══════════════════════════╝If you would like to help out the Grim Dawn Project, follow this link:
http://www.grimdawn.com/contribute.php

For more information on what kind of game Grim Dawn is, a feature list, and general F.A.Q., visit the Grim Dawn ABOUT page here.

Information on Crate Entertainment:

Quote:
Crate Entertainment is an independent development studio founded by the former design and art leads of Iron Lore Entertainment. Our mission is to continue developing original titles that feature deep, addictive gameplay and high production values.

Crate has acquired the rights to use Iron Lore's technology on all future projects; the same engine and toolset used to create Titan Quest. Crate is currently developing a new action-RPG but is still seeking additional funding to complete the project. This new game is set in a dark fictional world and will carry forward successful gameplay elements from Titan Quest while introducing many improvements and innovations.

Crate has also acquired the rights to two other original properties that were being developed at Iron Lore before the studio closed. 

As you can tell, I am really excited about this game's release, not just because it is going to be an awesome game, but because they are taking feature requests from the original fans of Titan Quest (via the titanquest.net forums) and now through the Grim Dawn Forums. Also, instead of the site's forums being run by Studio Employees, they have turned it over to the fans as well and invited the Head Moderator from the Titanquest.net forums to lead the forums there as well. Lastly, I've been in on several Betas before, but this will be the first opportunity I've had to to help work on an Alpha for a game.

Hope that some of you are willing to lend your support, and to see you in game once its released /in Alpha/Beta!

New system specs to come in the next few months.

What can I say? While I hope that they do manage to put out the next TQ, and if they do manage to do so I'll be buying multiple copies for my gaming group, there's no way in hell I'm sending them $20-50 an indeterminate amount of time before the game may (or not) come out.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 07:45:00 PM

Once I see a screenshot, I'll have no problem giving those guys $50.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 09:41:10 PM

And when that screenshot happens, I wish also to see it.

AKA Gyoza
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 01:03:21 AM

If/when they send me one, I'll post it (or a link). And yes, that's the time I'd start to consider giving them money.

Which is kinda the point of my post - I'd perhaps give them $5 or $10, M&B style at this stage.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 06:45:17 AM

M & B started out asking for six dollars years away from release, this entitled to play every beta and the full game once it came out.  Paying full prize, sorry "donating" full prize at this stage seems pretty silly.  i would give them 5-10 dollars now for a full game later.

I am the .00000001428%
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 09:10:14 AM

Hai guyz, I half a game I make, lieftiem subz $150, kthx!

Srsly, u get beta and TBA items! Praps I'll even put in something u want.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 09:17:24 AM

oh god make it stop
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 09:52:17 AM

You're such a fun guy.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 08:14:01 PM

Did you win a prize by paying full price?

waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 10:33:16 AM

The question is: if you don't like the final product, do you get your money back?
Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 11:17:15 AM

The question is: if you don't like the final product, do you get your money back?

No, but you still retain your "Holy Reverence," so I imagine that you will become some cold and uncaring god, disdainful of your pitiful creations.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 12:46:44 PM

I'm not that already?

Seriously, if this helps good guys make a good game, then I'm all for it.  It's not something I would consider for a company with no track record what-so-ever.  But these guys made a game I liked.  It wasn't the best game ever.  But I was entertained in a worth my fifty bucks way.  We will all agree that the big budget triple A's seldom live up to expectations, much less give you your money's worth.  So why not risk my money on something I know I'm at least sort of interested in?  As long as there's a screenshot that doesn't look like total dogshit, I'll float these guys.  Hell, it's better than floating their moneymen after the moneymen pound ever ounce of fun out of it and force it to ship incomplete.

AKA Gyoza
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 11:03:11 PM

Oh Noes!
Dear fans, we've run into a conflict with our account at PayPal. The company has informed us that they will not support the pre-sale of an item that is more than 20 days from shipping. Therefore we must switch to another merchant services provider. As a result of this unfortunate experience, we feel it will be best to rely on our bank for merchant services. We will be working with them on Monday to set up a new system. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience!

As we work toward a resolution, any updates or additional information will be posted here

That didn't last long.

My thoughts are that while this sounds noble in theory, in reality I'm worried I'll just be funding these guys Hookers and Blow fund.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 08:10:46 AM

Facepalm

Aside from the paypal thing, this is good news.  I do have the hookers-and-blow reservations, but it's not like that is removed from the box price of an EA game, it's just that the executives get the H+B while the developers get a cubicle and a red stapler.  To that point, I am all for this.  Firstly, I really liked Titan Quest.  Secondly, I'm not a fan of publishers in this age of digital downloading.  Distantly third is the hell I went through to get The Sims 3: World Adventures to simply start up on my wife's PC.  So, fuck you, Mister Big Cheese Game Publisher.  At least the sweaty grunts making this game are spending my money on whores instead of the rat-bastard suits at a publishing company.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 01:03:22 PM

Sure, I loved TQ as well. When it looks like they definately have some product coming in less than a year, I'll look into pre-purchasing it "donating".

Oh, they will definately have LAN/Online MP as well. I emailed a dev and he got back to me on that one.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 08:36:31 PM

Yeah, well, they had better have both kinds of MP.  Or there will be blood.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 02:01:11 PM

There are screenshots now.  Sorta.  No UI.  No hints at loot.  Just the environment and a couple abilites.  You can find them here.

I don't know if this is enough for me to pony up yet.  I wanted to see a UI that would give me some clues, or at least some other hints at the gameplay.

AKA Gyoza
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 02:57:16 PM

It's pretty much going to be like Titan Quest.

I also assume, that like Titan Quest, they'll allow you to respec. So it might not be the game for you. Not hardcore and manly enough.

Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 08:33:00 PM

Haha.  It's cool.  If it's like Titan Quest in that it takes longer to level a dude, then respecs are fine.

AKA Gyoza
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 10:31:16 AM

Wow this didn't get bumped when the game went into Alpha w/ Chapter 1?

Anyway, Chapter 2 came out today. Haven't tried it yet.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 10:33:37 AM

I'm not bumping shit for an alpha.

The lag issues with Path of Exile mean this gets a shot, however.  Once I make time for it.

schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 10:35:16 AM

2/3 of the game is released. I feel like they should probably be calling it a beta at this point, but really it's just reskinned Titan Quest and everything that comes along with that.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 11:33:33 AM

I never played TQ but it's a Diablo clone right? Is this new one any good and/or free to try? I'm really enjoying POE so I'm disinclined to spend money, but if they've got a demo or open beta or something I'd give it a whirl.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 11:43:50 AM

This and TQ are Diablo-II clones, yes.  I'd not outright abandon PoE for this.  Since you didn't play TQ, I'm not sure how to describe how the combat is better.  I can almost feel the bones of my enemies shatter under my mace.  Also things go flying sometimes.  Downside, it looks like someone pissed on a turd; I am told that visuals are subjective, though.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 12:00:22 PM

I'm not bumping shit
Is that what the kids are calling it these days?
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #25 on: February 26, 2014, 03:03:32 PM

Anyone played it yet? I want to, but don't want to spend money upfront. It _looks_ good.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: February 26, 2014, 06:09:26 PM

This and TQ are Diablo-II clones, yes.  I'd not outright abandon PoE for this.  Since you didn't play TQ, I'm not sure how to describe how the combat is better.  I can almost feel the bones of my enemies shatter under my mace.  Also things go flying sometimes.  Downside, it looks like someone pissed on a turd; I am told that visuals are subjective, though.

I have not played a game in the last 2 years that looked worse than PoE soooooooooo.

I played through Act 1 of Grim Dawn twice. Its Titan Quest++, as i said.  If you didn't play Titan Quest than the best description is Diablo 2.25.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 26, 2014, 07:10:46 PM

It's hard to take a recommendation from you since you don't like POE and I love it.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: February 26, 2014, 08:12:24 PM

It's hard to take a recommendation from you since you don't like POE and I love it.
I've liked ugly, bad games before. It happens. Doesn't change the fact Titan Quest was basically a much prettier version of Diablo 2 and this is a reskinned Titan Quest.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #29 on: February 26, 2014, 10:30:54 PM

They can try selling horses.
Maybe mustang, lava skin mares, nightmares, ethereal. Etc.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #30 on: February 27, 2014, 12:58:23 AM

Every time I check back on this, the game is a little bit nicer.  I think the visuals are definitely a bit nicer than POE and I'm okay with the more traditional leveling/skill system.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #31 on: February 27, 2014, 05:41:51 AM

The visuals are, to me, grainy and busy.  Moreso than TQ somehow.  The PoE visuals are better than they were before also, by a long shot, but yeah.  You're going to like it or not.  The important bit is how the combat feels.

I played some of it yesterday and jacked up the visual sliders to max.  It was a shade stuttery and still looked grainy, so I'll have to drop it down a bit.  Combat still feels weighty, like I'm controlling a pewter figure instead of a plastic one.

I haven't completed Act I in Grim Dawn and I haven't detected any sort of TQesque problem with equipment upgrades.  That's a lot more important to me than visuals.

Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 27, 2014, 07:34:29 AM

M & B started out asking for six dollars years away from release, this entitled to play every beta and the full game once it came out.  Paying full prize, sorry "donating" full prize at this stage seems pretty silly.  i would give them 5-10 dollars now for a full game later.

Yeah please don't compare this vaporware donation crap to M&B.

You actually got a working version of the game for your 6$, and it was really good. Pretty minimal at first, just 2 factions, not many items, very little RPG elements beyond skills & levels, etc. But the basic combat was smooth and pretty much the same as it still is now. As major updates were added to the game adding content and functionality the price was increased accordingly.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #33 on: February 27, 2014, 07:39:16 AM

This may have looked like vaporware four years ago, but it also looks like they're following through.  Probably.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #34 on: February 27, 2014, 08:20:56 AM

Grim Dawn is a real game right now, if that's what the reply to a four-year-old post was about.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Titan Quest Guys, Grim Dawn ask for money a la Mount & Blade. Only not like M&B  
Jump to: