Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:38:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Rampage: Total Destruction - Pipeworks Software - Wii 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rampage: Total Destruction - Pipeworks Software - Wii  (Read 11778 times)
Azazel
Contributor

on: December 29, 2009, 03:10:53 AM

Some of the classic games we played as kids remain true classics, and are still a lot of fun today. Other games just don't hold up anymore. Some games have been ported and updated and modernised and still fit the bill, despite being nothing like their lineage, others follow the old path, and simply update it, or better or or for worse.

Rampage: Total Destruction follows the latter of the three paths mentioned above. The classic game, while fun at the time, doesn't hold up today. Why? We had lower standards then, and besides, kids are easy to please. Still, it was with fomd memories thatI picked this up out of the bargain bin about 13 months ago and showed it to my wife, who remembered Rampage fondly as well. So I bought it.

Tonight, I played it for the first time.

Besides the three characters we all remember - George, Lizzie and Ralph, aka King Kong, Godzilla and that giant grey wolfman guy there are also a bunch of new ones. But since they all play pretty much identically, who cares? The FMV info attempts to be funny but instead is awful. The gameplay itself is the same as the original Rampage, but with a slightly more 3-D area to play in, with a few new moves, and horribly-tacked-on waggle controls. It's playable, but shit.

I haven't tried it in multiplayer - you can have up to 4 players at once. My feeling is that it'll be more fun with friends, but still shit. Oh, visually, since the game is on Wii and is a port of a PS2 game, it looks horrible despite what the manual claims about 480i and giving an "intensely sharp picture". The developers were also kind enough to offer a homage to badly rip off several Ramones riffs, which just fit the rest of the package perfectly.

In short, it's a game that's shitty to begin with, with Wii-waggle tacked on.

==

Avoid at all costs.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 04:26:03 AM

Rampage was never that great imo.

I'm concerned though.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Why don't you buy a good (even cheap) game instead of gravitating towards shit? You like to brush off reviews like nothing can be trusted, or even word of mouth.. but all you're left with is making your own reviews and testing out crappy games.

I'll help: Persona 4, Valkyria Chronicles. I swear to Christ.

Fuck anyone who tells me this is a derail. Damn straight it is. It's a goddamn intervention!! ^_^
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 04:29:12 AM

Did you just come into a BiiF for Rampage and suggest JRPGs?

Jesus Christ. swamp poop
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 05:24:06 AM

Jesus Christ. swamp poop

There, there. 0.0 DPS

Anyhow, I suggested good games. Not JRPG's per se. Just games that people put some real effort and ingenuinity in making.. the kind that will cause you to throw a controller at the TV. Good things. I'm here to spread love! Don't hate.  awesome, for real I just notice he's got a habit of gravitating towards a lot of bargain binned banal shit, then posting reviews... No one was ever sitting on the fence about half of these. "Is it fun?" No, of course not (actually, there's a stupid Godzilla fighting game on the Wii that's better.. stupid, but better. If you have some thing for giant monsters, I suggest it instead). He can do what he wants. I'm just drinking a lot of coffee atm and felt like busting his chops. The main concern is that he writes off public reviews as "shilling" and personal reviews like it's fanboism many times. It gets old when you find that he doesn't suggest anything better.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 07:56:11 AM

Rampage was never that great imo.

I'm concerned though.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Why don't you buy a good (even cheap) game instead of gravitating towards shit? You like to brush off reviews like nothing can be trusted, or even word of mouth.. but all you're left with is making your own reviews and testing out crappy games.

I'll help: Persona 4, Valkyria Chronicles. I swear to Christ.

Fuck anyone who tells me this is a derail. Damn straight it is. It's a goddamn intervention!! ^_^

I have heaps of games, period. I'm on holidays, so I've decided to tear through a few of them. I'm vaguely alternating between middling titles that I picked up cheap because of a good review here or there and games that I think I'll like a lot more. It's also a form of a cull through my games. Some I may trade in and others I'll just box away into storage.

I just finished Wolverine, which may have been shallow, but was still quite fun (which I bought as a result of a positive BiiF here by rk47 - fuckers clearly can't be trusted - Shit! I just bought that Armoured Princess game based off Schild's recommendations backed up by reviews as well! Oh noes!). I'm also still playing my way through Battlefield: Bad Company which I just BiiFed, and I'm continuing to have a lot of fun with it. MP, I'm (still) playing Borderlands several sessions per week, which is still a ton of fun. Saints Row 2 (my third playthrough), on hold but good fun. Same deal with Fallout 3, though it's the first playthrough. A bit of LotRO here and there. Viking, I quite honestly was enjoying despite it's flaws, and fully planned to complete it until the thing railroaded me with the keg hunt thing and I had a fit of /ragequit.

I'm not especially into JRPGS, I have Valk Chronicles, but I'm trying to play things that I can actually finish in a few days at the moment (or decide are a POS) rather than start another long game I have to devote tons of time to. Rampage was one I bought in a moment of weakness out of the bargain bin a year ago, and never got around to even loading up. I figure it's better to fuck around with it for an hour now, while on holidays and then decide if it's a worthwhile thing to keep around for gits and shiggles, or shit that needs to be shovelled (and with the second TV in the lounge so I can watch something (Rick Stein marathon FTW today) while I check out things like that. In my queue I have more games than you can poke a stick at. I just don't usually get time to play them because of work.

And hey, honestly, Viking got decent (not great, but decent) reviews, and I was enjoying it in a simple way. DOA could (should) have been a lot better than it was - I wasn't expecting it to be that bad, especially given all the kudos Team Ninja get. Rampage I didn't have a great deal of hope for being awesome, but I had hopes it would be a decent remake. It still managed to disappoint. Bad Company I was hopeful for, and it exceeded my expectations.

BTW, what have I called shilling (besides Curt) and what was fanboism (besides people going all system-fanboi)? Actual examples, rather than bullshit vagaries please. Oh yeah. BF: Bad Company. Better. Like I said a couple days ago. I also believe I was pretty positive about Just Cause, Burnout Paradise, Saints Row 1, Saints Row 2, Earth Defence Force 2017 and Bully, at the very least (all good games, by the way, since you have a PS3 - I recommend that you go out and buy SR2, B:P and keep your eye on JC2. That's not counting positive comments about other games in other BiiF threads. So I guess you're either just full of shit, still butthurt about Forza or you're just misremembering. I'd like to think you're just misremembering.
 Heart

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 08:04:38 AM

Off topic: Valkyria Chronicles isn't a JRPG. 

-Rasix
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 08:08:13 AM

Yeah, I know, it's a tactical 3rd person game. That's why I bought it. I'm referring to Persona 4 by "not especially into JRPGs".

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 09:21:21 AM

So I guess you're either just full of shit, still butthurt about Forza or you're just misremembering. I'd like to think you're just misremembering.
 Heart

Butthurt about Forza? I have nothing against that game. No strong opinions at all really. What's that all about?

I don't see what the big deal is in playing a good game for a longer period of time than dabbling in spurts with other stuff. To each their own though. edit: Persona 4, first of all is a game of it's own kind. Not just an "JRPG". It's lame to write off something because you think you have some understanding of the genre. I don't know any game that has quite the same type of character building or pacing as the Persona series. And I only suggest playing both of these because they are different from other stuff. Not because I'm trying to convince you to like something you already know you don't like. And no, Valk isn't a JRPG, but it isn't exactly an SRPG either. Or just a third person tactical game either! :P It's a bit of all of those.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 09:45:54 AM by stray »
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 10:15:18 AM

This game is only worth playing with other people, but we've had some pretty good times playing it. I just got a bigger TV which should make having four players much more pleasant. Certainly not the best game ever, but if you can pick it up cheap it's a decent version of Rampage.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 04:43:41 PM

Butthurt about Forza? I have nothing against that game. No strong opinions at all really. What's that all about?

Just trying to figure out where you get all this negativity towards my opinions on games. You wrote that I just rag on games and don't trust anyone's opinions, so I asked you to point out where and pointed out that I have plenty of positive BiiFs and things to say about games, along with trusting reviews (just not all reviews.) Ok, no worries about Forza (where you went into a butthurt tizzy about me not liking it at the time). I guess you're either full of shit or misremembering then. :)

I don't see what the big deal is in playing a good game for a longer period of time than dabbling in spurts with other stuff. To each their own though. edit: Persona 4, first of all is a game of it's own kind. Not just an "JRPG". It's lame to write off something because you think you have some understanding of the genre. I don't know any game that has quite the same type of character building or pacing as the Persona series. And I only suggest playing both of these because they are different from other stuff. Not because I'm trying to convince you to like something you already know you don't like. And no, Valk isn't a JRPG, but it isn't exactly an SRPG either. Or just a third person tactical game either! :P It's a bit of all of those.

When I'm back at work, I'll have a lot less tolerance for things then being on my holidays and relatively chilled out. Though you seem to have missed the part where I've been playing Borderlands, oh, since it came out. 3rd Playthrough of SR2. And so forth. Reading comp FTW, etc.

And look, you may love Persona, that's fine. I simply have no interest in it. Or trying it. (I did check it out. Doesn't appeal.) I already own plenty of RPGs of various subgenres that I havent yet got around to playing, which I am interested in playing, which would be in front of it in the queue anyway. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Witcher, KOTOR2, Jade Empire, Sacred 1, Sacred 2, Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom, Torchlight, Demons' Souls. I even have a couple of JRPGs like Lost Odyssey and the JRPG-style LotR: 3rd Age which I've been working through now and then. I may as well throw Valkyria Chronicles in there as well. Still haven't finished Fallout 3. I'm sure there's more as well. May as well throw HOMM3, 4, 5 and their expansions in there, along with Armoured Princess.  awesome, for real

Prospero - I kinda figured that that would be the case, but then again that's what the Wii is for. And since everything is a lot more fun with 4 players (look at Castle Crashers or those TMNT arcade games!) So I took that into account. I mean it's great that your group enjoys it and all, but it's not a very good game on it's own merits if that makes sense. I also found the wiimote/nunchuck controls typically random and spastic. Again, having a controller would give you better control, but it'd take away from the crazy spastic flailing that no doubt adds to the fun when there's 4 of you sitting around playing.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 07:25:14 PM

Just trying to figure out where you get all this negativity towards my opinions on games. You wrote that I just rag on games and don't trust anyone's opinions, so I asked you to point out where and pointed out that I have plenty of positive BiiFs and things to say about games, along with trusting reviews (just not all reviews.) Ok, no worries about Forza (where you went into a butthurt tizzy about me not liking it at the time). I guess you're either full of shit or misremembering then. :)

I'm pretty sure I'd remember getting "butthurt" about Forza. I'm only here to waste time and shoot the shit Az. I admit that I would be confused if you not liking it though. [edit] In fact, I'm getting a general "WTF?  swamp poop" kind of vibe right now.

As for Persona, yeah..umm.. well first off, "checking it out" is not reading a Wikipedia article. More "WTF" from me on that one. But also, it makes too many references to 3 when describing the gameplay (and rightly so.. But that doesn't help if you haven't played 3). I don't see how it helps you being informed about it. But whatever.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 07:35:28 PM by stray »
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 07:41:50 PM

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=11780.0

But yeah, I get it.

You don't read stuff fully, you don't comprehend stuff that you do read, you don't remember stuff, you throw shit to start something for the sake of throwing it and then don't back it up. When it's demonstrated that you're full of shit you just take the "ignore it and hope it goes away" line of "discussion" while doing the "hey man, chill, I'm a cool dude" routine.

The main concern is that he writes off public reviews as "shilling" and personal reviews like it's fanboism many times. It gets old when you find that he doesn't suggest anything better.

You silly motherfucker.  awesome, for real

I still can't fully tell if you're full of shit or have no functional memory, though.  why so serious?

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 08:32:17 PM

Man, what a chore. Why would I remember something like that? And are you actually doing some psychoanalysis thing here....? Got my "board personality" down, do ya?

As for the whole "backing it up" thing, that's your problem man. I was here to suggest games and talk a little shit. I'm not going to be some egghead and demonstrate some argument about your various tastes.. If we're going to get that serious, then it's more than I bargained for. lol
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 09:52:19 AM

After that reply, I'm gonna go with both.

Now go off and write a bunch of posts to show the rest of us how cool and street you are. One of my favorites was when you put your toys down one day, and lit a cigarette as you walked off into the sunset to hang out with the cool girls.  why so serious?

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 11:10:33 AM

After that reply, I'm gonna go with both.

Now go off and write a bunch of posts to show the rest of us how cool and street you are. One of my favorites was when you put your toys down one day, and lit a cigarette as you walked off into the sunset to hang out with the cool girls.  why so serious?

You can't be serious. Why wouldn't I be "cool" is the real question.  swamp poop Are you trying to tell me that all this shit matters, and it's wrong or something to not treat game opinions with more "care"? Sounds like what I'm reading there. I'm "street" now? "Riding into the sunset"? Oookay. I'm not sure what you want. Am I supposed to be more sensitive about games? Give you well reasoned arguments complete with footnotes or some shit? I suppose I could do it, but fuck that. Play what you like dude.

[edit] Actually man, I'll bite a bit. No footnotes though. I still don't see how "refusing to get too fussy" about games is like.. the standard for posturing though. Seriously, that's a pretty low standard. You're making every dork who wants to argue too long about shit like this the only "authentic people" or something. But I digress.

My "beef" if you will.. is that you hold some petty misgivings about notable games. Calling Demon's Souls "F13 hype" for example. Or judging one of the more clever rpg designs in a long while by some wiki article. Or having to have your arm pulled just to see the value of Valk Chronicles.. cuz you've "grown past anime" or some shit. You make it hard to suggest good games to -- yet, on your own, you find it easy to play shit - and there's nothing wrong with that per se. You see shit for what it is, and excuse them as the shallow experiences they are. But what doesn't make sense to me is that you don't have the same easy going criteria for some good games. It's like people are under suspicion for suggesting them. That's my impression. Either that, or you'll generalize things according to genre. And god forbid anyone mentions good reviews. Even if it's a metacritic score, you'll pull out the "shill" word. It's annoying. Am I losing sleep over it though? Nah. I just feel like talking shit sometimes. G'day ;)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 11:31:15 AM by stray »
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 08:21:37 PM

Stop spergin', both of you.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 10:35:11 PM

News flash - sometimes two people don't enjoy the same games!

AMAZING BUT TRUE!

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 08:46:40 PM

[edit] Actually man, I'll bite a bit. No footnotes though. I still don't see how "refusing to get too fussy" about games is like.. the standard for posturing though. Seriously, that's a pretty low standard. You're making every dork who wants to argue too long about shit like this the only "authentic people" or something. But I digress.

My "beef" if you will.. is that you hold some petty misgivings about notable games. Calling Demon's Souls "F13 hype" for example. Or judging one of the more clever rpg designs in a long while by some wiki article. Or having to have your arm pulled just to see the value of Valk Chronicles.. cuz you've "grown past anime" or some shit. You make it hard to suggest good games to -- yet, on your own, you find it easy to play shit - and there's nothing wrong with that per se. You see shit for what it is, and excuse them as the shallow experiences they are. But what doesn't make sense to me is that you don't have the same easy going criteria for some good games. It's like people are under suspicion for suggesting them. That's my impression. Either that, or you'll generalize things according to genre. And god forbid anyone mentions good reviews. Even if it's a metacritic score, you'll pull out the "shill" word. It's annoying. Am I losing sleep over it though? Nah. I just feel like talking shit sometimes. G'day ;)

All your pre-edit stuff - you've missed the point. Completely. I don't care what you do with your game opinions or expect anything there.

Demons Souls came with a lot of "greatest game EVAR" posts on f13, and clearly my expectations were too high. Persona - I'm just not into JRPGs. You're welcome to love them. I just don't care, sorry. Why should you give a shit? Valk Chronicles (which I bought, BTW) seems like it'll be good. But yeah, I don't like anime anymore, I'm also not into Anime/JRPG melodramatic plots starring bishonen. I liked it (anime) for a few years, but I lost interest. Who gives a shit? BTW, I bought both  DS and VC based on f13 feedback, along with tons of other stuff, some mentioned in the other posst in this thread.

I don't recall attacking review/metacritic scores or calling anyone (besides Curt Schilling) a shill, so there you're talking out of your arse. Which is what got me going in the first place. You certainly don't need to back up your opinions on games (you're welcome to like whatever you want), but when you start misquoting me or making up shit that you think I've said, it annoys me, so I expect you to back it up instead of saying "I'm too cool to do that". And hey, if I'm wrong, I'll admit it.
People being "under suspicion" for suggesting good games? You're dreaming. I've pointed out examples of several games I've bought recently based on opinions here.

In short, you can like or dislike whatever games you want to and say whatever you want about them, but when you start making up shit I've supposedly said, it pisses me off. To be precise:

these bits
You like to brush off reviews like nothing can be trusted, or even word of mouth.
and
The main concern is that he writes off public reviews as "shilling" and personal reviews like it's fanboism many times. It gets old when you find that he doesn't suggest anything better.

Are bullshit. I had no issue with anything you wrote in those first two posts besides that.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 08:53:42 PM

This is all very fascinating.

-Rasix
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 09:52:02 AM

I just don't care, sorry. Why should you give a shit?

Az, I don't give a shit. Not in some meaningful sense. If you don't like some JRPG, it's not like I'm personally attached to your opinion or something. We're just talking about games. Games that neither of us made, for that matter. That said, I do consider you a dipshit for not liking something you haven't even played. If you actually expect me to respect you enough to start digging up threads and shit, and offering more meaningful "debate", then you might as well give it up.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 08:04:47 PM

Sort of but I feel bad for watching, dirty somehow.

I'm glad I was bored enough to not skip a Az biif for once.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 09:09:28 PM

Shit man, if you're feeling bad, then I'm gonna start feeling bad.  why so serious?

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 05:25:05 AM

Profound.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 01:39:40 PM

d00d.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 05:02:07 PM

I just don't care, sorry. Why should you give a shit?

Az, I don't give a shit. Not in some meaningful sense. If you don't like some JRPG, it's not like I'm personally attached to your opinion or something. We're just talking about games. Games that neither of us made, for that matter. That said, I do consider you a dipshit for not liking something you haven't even played. If you actually expect me to respect you enough to start digging up threads and shit, and offering more meaningful "debate", then you might as well give it up.

I generally dislike the genre, as I don't care for the genre so I don't care about the games. I also don't care if you "respect" me or not, as you're basically a random on the internet that's clearly not one of the intelligent ones I respect or enjoy interacting with. I still don't like it when you make shit up I've supposedly said though, but I guess if you keep doing that I'll continue to tell you to fuck off when I notice. I'd start making up shit you've never said in other threads, but you're not worth the effort.

bhodi - I'm done talking to him here. It's not like we can finalise this discussion in person with a friendly drink or an unfriendly punch-up or a passionate kiss or whatever, so I'll stop replying to his trolling now. I made my point.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 05:54:55 PM

How about all of em.. drunk punching and kissing? why so serious?

[edit] And hey, I write off much in the mmo genre myself.. That said, even I sometimes play those, just to give it another shot. As far as JRPGs go, the most unlikely dude (Haemish) is playing them atm. He may not like them in the end, but he isn't so stubborn that he doesn't even try. Not trying, and still thinking you know shit though is lame.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 06:28:09 PM by stray »
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 09:46:12 PM

bhodi - I'm done talking to him here. I'll stop replying to his trolling now. I made my point.

lolz awesome, for real

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #27 on: January 09, 2010, 07:40:27 PM

Man, those Godzilla fighting games someone referenced? Fun. Stupid, but fun for a few days. I love me some giant monsters.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 11:57:51 PM

The presence of Godzilla makes anything awesome.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 03:01:09 AM

It's all about Gigan and the belly saw.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #30 on: January 19, 2010, 11:45:59 AM

How about all of em.. drunk punching and kissing? why so serious?

[edit] And hey, I write off much in the mmo genre myself.. That said, even I sometimes play those, just to give it another shot. As far as JRPGs go, the most unlikely dude (Haemish) is playing them atm. He may not like them in the end, but he isn't so stubborn that he doesn't even try. Not trying, and still thinking you know shit though is lame.

No time, baby. Having said that, I do now and then play with LOTR:3rd Age which is like a WJRPG and I own Lost Odessey and Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom (to play in MP form) so there's that. But you know, no time!

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 19, 2010, 11:54:15 AM

It's all about Gigan and the belly saw.

Yeah, Gigan is always a badass. Every game. And he seems to be one of the most popular kaiju, despite that he's only been in, what, three movies?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Rampage: Total Destruction - Pipeworks Software - Wii  
Jump to: