Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:21:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 96 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  (Read 854066 times)
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #840 on: August 31, 2011, 03:47:32 AM

Personally, re: win7 and C:, I'm contemplating going for 160 or 200GB SSD once they reach a certain price point (i.e. around 2000NOK, or 375-400 usd), for one simple reason: I'm getting tired of having to constantly watch how much space is left. I think I had a 20G C: partition back in the XP days, and I installed all programs on the larger data disk/partition, and that was fine. I increased that to 30G for win7, but even that isn't enough. So overkill it is. Ohhhhh, I see.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #841 on: August 31, 2011, 08:18:20 AM

I got a good deal on the Corsair c300 (256gb) last year, and have been using it as a boot drive. Still have 60gb free even with all my steam stuff, and windows launches fast. Quite happy with it.
Vision
Terracotta Army

Reply #842 on: September 02, 2011, 06:26:01 AM

So here is what I'm looking at. I basically just copied the Sandy Bridge high range buyers guide from anand, but swapped out the ram, case, and mobo.

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580
Intel 510 Series 120GB SSD
Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB HDD
ASUS DRW-24B1ST SATA 24X DVD Burner
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 CPU cooler   
NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Corsair Professional Series AX750 750W PSU

I'll probably have to switch the PSU since I'm buying all these parts over seas, assuming I don't get totally raped after checking out amazon.co.jp.  I just wanted an initial build to work off of when deciding what to order. I haven't given a shit about computer parts in years, so I have no idea how to compare all of Intel's new tech terms for what looks like more meaningless stuff on their chips. But what do I know. I went with the Asus PRO because it has 8 USB slots instead of 4 from what the ananad guys recommended. Although I'm thinking that big expensive GTX 580 might not be worth it.

Total is $1,750 which seems excessive to me, suggestions?
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #843 on: September 02, 2011, 08:48:42 AM

So here is what I'm looking at. I basically just copied the Sandy Bridge high range buyers guide from anand, but swapped out the ram, case, and mobo.

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580
Intel 510 Series 120GB SSD
Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB HDD
ASUS DRW-24B1ST SATA 24X DVD Burner
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 CPU cooler   
NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Corsair Professional Series AX750 750W PSU

I'll probably have to switch the PSU since I'm buying all these parts over seas, assuming I don't get totally raped after checking out amazon.co.jp.  I just wanted an initial build to work off of when deciding what to order. I haven't given a shit about computer parts in years, so I have no idea how to compare all of Intel's new tech terms for what looks like more meaningless stuff on their chips. But what do I know. I went with the Asus PRO because it has 8 USB slots instead of 4 from what the ananad guys recommended. Although I'm thinking that big expensive GTX 580 might not be worth it.

Total is $1,750 which seems excessive to me, suggestions?

Unless you use a lot of applications that will benefit from HyperThreading (video compression, etc.), drop to a 2500K and save around $100 - the 2500K and 2600K are so close as to be practically identical in terms of gaming performance.  Similarly, a GTX570 may make more sense unless you game at bonkers resolutions and would save you $150+.

With the Phantom you've got both room and airflow to spare, so you can skip the blower box cards and get a video card with a good non-reference type solution.  The coolers on the MSI 'Twin Frozr' and ASUS 'DirectCuII' cards are quite nice (though the ASUS takes up three slots and weighs a ton).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 08:50:23 AM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #844 on: September 02, 2011, 09:13:14 AM

Any reason for the Intel SSD rather than the C300, save a few bucks there, too. You could shave $20 going with an MSI P67A-GD65 motherboard (though I like ASUS and it's a MIR). You could also drop to 1033 RAM. The egg shocker right now is 8GB of Patriot ddr3 1600 for $30 with MIR. And to extend Mr N's advice on gpu cooling, the gpu cooler I put on my 460 is so much better (and QUIETER) than a stock blower, it's really worth it imo, you'll get better performance and longer life from your card, which is usually the single most expensive component.

Now that I've spec'd out my upgrade I'm dyyyying to build it, but have to hold off until the end of October. If I lose my job, a new pc doesn't seem so important anymore....
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 09:15:03 AM by Sky »
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #845 on: September 02, 2011, 09:52:20 AM

Another thing - if you're not going to be using the SSD caching feature of the Z68 motherboard (it looks like you'll just be going with the SSD as OS), you may want to look at a comparable P67 board instead, which will probably be about $30-40 cheaper.

Vision
Terracotta Army

Reply #846 on: September 02, 2011, 08:14:46 PM

With the Phantom you've got both room and airflow to spare, so you can skip the blower box cards and get a video card with a good non-reference type solution.  The coolers on the MSI 'Twin Frozr' and ASUS 'DirectCuII' cards are quite nice (though the ASUS takes up three slots and weighs a ton).

Sorry, how do I tell if a GPU come with a box blower or non-reference cooler? I tend to like EVGA but I don't see any type of cooler options on their 570 cards, but then my last card that I actually bought a 9800 Pro...

Another thing - if you're not going to be using the SSD caching feature of the Z68 motherboard (it looks like you'll just be going with the SSD as OS), you may want to look at a comparable P67 board instead, which will probably be about $30-40 cheaper.

From what I gather it helps if you are watching a lot of HD videos? If so I may just leave it since I seem to do that a lot.

After making the changes that dropped it down to 1,478 which is a lot more manageable.

Now my problem is that after building a comparable PC on amazon.co.jp, after the exchange rate I'm paying an extra $500 just to get the parts which isn't cool.

Hey Noisy, how much do you think your PC weighs with all the components in it? I'm contemplating just shipping it to someone in the states and having them ship it to me since it could possibly be cheaper.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #847 on: September 03, 2011, 01:03:04 AM

Sorry, how do I tell if a GPU come with a box blower or non-reference cooler? I tend to like EVGA but I don't see any type of cooler options on their 570 cards, but then my last card that I actually bought a 9800 Pro...

Hey Noisy, how much do you think your PC weighs with all the components in it? I'm contemplating just shipping it to someone in the states and having them ship it to me since it could possibly be cheaper.

The empty chassis is about 20 pounds, with the system fully built weighing about twice that in total.  I also wouldn't ship that PC via any carrier without removing the video card and CPU cooler - those things are heavy, with all the weight standing off the motherboard.

As for the video card cooler thing, this one has a 'reference'/box type cooler - single intake and closed around the card itself - all air is exhausted out of the chassis, while this MSI has a non-reference two-fan solution.  You likely won't have an issue either way, to be honest - that case will be pushing a lot of air around - so if you like EVGA's warranty, etc then stick with them.  The two/three fan-cooled cards do tend to run cooler and quieter, though.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 01:11:00 AM by MisterNoisy »

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #848 on: September 03, 2011, 07:13:50 AM

Note that evga's warranty allows you to install an aftermarket cooler as long as you keep the original cooler and return it to stock for RMA. But on the other hand, you'll be getting a refurbished replacement...
Vision
Terracotta Army

Reply #849 on: September 04, 2011, 11:48:09 PM

Note that evga's warranty allows you to install an aftermarket cooler as long as you keep the original cooler and return it to stock for RMA. But on the other hand, you'll be getting a refurbished replacement...

I suppose if it worked then thats alright.

After visting the nearest computer parts store, the cheapest way to get this done is to use various sources like kakaku.com, this component store, and then amazon. I'm wondering if I'm asking for trouble by buying parts from various vendors, in case something goes wrong in which I have to deal with RMA'ing parts to a multitude of places vs just dealing with one vendor. I had a nightmare with newegg a few years back trying to RMA some parts and I've been weary ever since. Also, are there components which generally have more problems than others, in which I should pay the extra yen and get from a local store which I can take things back too as opposed to dealing with faceless internet sellers? I was thinking I could at least save some dough by getting the case, ram, and possibly CPU online.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #850 on: September 06, 2011, 06:45:50 AM

After visting the nearest computer parts store, the cheapest way to get this done is to use various sources like kakaku.com, this component store, and then amazon. I'm wondering if I'm asking for trouble by buying parts from various vendors, in case something goes wrong in which I have to deal with RMA'ing parts to a multitude of places vs just dealing with one vendor. I had a nightmare with newegg a few years back trying to RMA some parts and I've been weary ever since. Also, are there components which generally have more problems than others, in which I should pay the extra yen and get from a local store which I can take things back too as opposed to dealing with faceless internet sellers? I was thinking I could at least save some dough by getting the case, ram, and possibly CPU online.

If the prices are comparable, I'd say get as much as possible locally, though the only nonfunctional part I've received in quite some time (not counting the original P67 SATA controller design flaw) was a bad stick of DDR2 memory a little over a year ago.

Vision
Terracotta Army

Reply #851 on: September 08, 2011, 01:57:27 AM

Does anyone who has ordered all of their stuff from the Egg remember how big the box was that contained everything aside form the case? Assuming it doesn't weigh too much it might literally be cheaper to get everything aside from the case and PSU shipped from Newegg to the states, and then shipped to me in Japan.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #852 on: September 08, 2011, 06:26:29 AM

My order came in a few boxes - the case was just shipped by itself, while the rest came in a couple of boxes i'd guess to be about 30"x24"x12" or so.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #853 on: September 08, 2011, 07:43:28 AM

My order came in a few boxes - the case was just shipped by itself, while the rest came in a couple of boxes i'd guess to be about 30"x24"x12" or so.

Yeah, Egg tends to ship in boxes that fit the product. The only thing I did not really like was their way of shipping sticks of ram. Bubble envelops scare me esp sent USPS... scare me even more when they are sending ram sticks in flimsy plastic in said envelops. But if you get, say a processor and sticks of ram, it all comes in a fairly small box. Case though... well I'll get my cases from somewhere else because they ship them in their packaging box and come usually banged to shit or in my latest case, busted in the front. Luckily, I am handy and could "fix" it myself, but still.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #854 on: September 08, 2011, 10:45:59 AM

Case though... well I'll get my cases from somewhere else because they ship them in their packaging box and come usually banged to shit or in my latest case, busted in the front. Luckily, I am handy and could "fix" it myself, but still.

Unfortunately, that's not limited to Newegg - Amazon shipped me a NZXT Vulcan in the packaging box, and the mesh part of the door had been beat up by UPS - I ended up replacing the damaged part with an acrylic window.

Terracotta Army

Reply #855 on: September 08, 2011, 12:15:36 PM

Case though... well I'll get my cases from somewhere else because they ship them in their packaging box and come usually banged to shit or in my latest case, busted in the front. Luckily, I am handy and could "fix" it myself, but still.

Unfortunately, that's not limited to Newegg - Amazon shipped me a NZXT Vulcan in the packaging box, and the mesh part of the door had been beat up by UPS - I ended up replacing the damaged part with an acrylic window.

Noted. Think I should just find a brick and mortar store... though I love my sunbeam case and will definately reuse it on my next build.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Vision
Terracotta Army

Reply #856 on: September 09, 2011, 01:17:19 AM

Yeah Ill probably end up getting the CPU, GPU, RAM, heatsink, and SSD from newegg and have it shipped. Below is my final compiled list, if someone could give it a quick look over before I pull the trigger that would be awesome.

MB: Asus Z68 V (Unless someone thinks the V-Pro is worth the extra cash)
CPU: i5-2500K
GPU: SAPPHIRE Toxic 100312TXSR Radeon HD 6950 2GB
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
HDD: Samsung Spin Point 1 TB
SSD: Crucial M4 128 GB
DVD: Liteon iHas324-27
CASE: NZXT Phantom
PSU: Corsair TX750

I'm getting raped on PSU prices over here but unless I get some Japanese brand PSU I know nothing about, I have little choice.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #857 on: September 09, 2011, 04:41:09 AM

I've been told the crucials might have a problem causing lockups, not sure if they've fixed that in the firmware or if you might want to go for an intel 320 instead. I just got mine last weekend, and apart from the fact I had to move tons of data off to be able to migrate the C: partition to the SSD (long story short: old main disk was 250G disk partitioned into 30G C: rest D:, the intel migration thingy didn't want to do this until the entire partition setup on the old isk was less than 160GB. No biggie, really, but annoying if you've got a bigger disk/partition as your C: drive), it's been a-ok.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #858 on: September 09, 2011, 05:32:55 AM

Yeah Ill probably end up getting the CPU, GPU, RAM, heatsink, and SSD from newegg and have it shipped. Below is my final compiled list, if someone could give it a quick look over before I pull the trigger that would be awesome.

MB: Asus Z68 V (Unless someone thinks the V-Pro is worth the extra cash)
CPU: i5-2500K
GPU: SAPPHIRE Toxic 100312TXSR Radeon HD 6950 2GB
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
HDD: Samsung Spin Point 1 TB
SSD: Crucial M4 128 GB
DVD: Liteon iHas324-27
CASE: NZXT Phantom
PSU: Corsair TX750

I'm getting raped on PSU prices over here but unless I get some Japanese brand PSU I know nothing about, I have little choice.

Looks good to me, though unless you have another one in mind, go ahead and add a $30 Hyper 212 or Xigmatek Gaia/Balder/Dark Knight CPU cooler to that build list - you've got the room for it in that case and it'll be much quieter than the stock Intel cooler.  The Phantom does have a backplate cutout, but it's positioned more for LGA1366 so you have to pull the motherboard if you want to add a CPU cooler later - best to install one from the beginning.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #859 on: September 09, 2011, 05:42:05 AM

Am I broken for seriously considering buying a Razer Nostromo N52?

I've seen some people say that once you start using one it's nearly impossible to give up.  Anyone her have any experience with one?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #860 on: September 09, 2011, 05:49:48 AM

Am I broken for seriously considering buying a Razer Nostromo N52?

I've seen some people say that once you start using one it's nearly impossible to give up.  Anyone her have any experience with one?

When they were made by Belkin, I saw/played around with one in a store display and didn't care for the buttons, particularly the one on the side under the joystick - they were super mushy and unpleasant feeling, though that may have changed.  I loved my old N50, but it died after many years of hard use.  I'm tempted to try Logitech's take on the concept, though.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #861 on: September 09, 2011, 10:23:20 AM

How the hell do you use one of those contraptions.

-Rasix
Terracotta Army

Reply #862 on: September 09, 2011, 11:07:02 AM

How the hell do you use one of those contraptions.

I recall talking to someone who had one and used it religiously. Said it took him about a week to get used to but now he can't go back to a regular KB/Mouse set up anymore while playing any PC game. I am a little hesitant  to try it out, but I have bene flirting with the idea.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #863 on: September 09, 2011, 04:13:15 PM

Silly cabling tricks:

Vision
Terracotta Army

Reply #864 on: September 12, 2011, 12:53:07 AM

If I'm using an SSD as a OS/Games drive, is there any advantage to getting a SATA 6.0GB/s versus a SATA 3.0 HDD?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #865 on: September 12, 2011, 05:24:47 AM

If I'm using an SSD as a OS/Games drive, is there any advantage to getting a SATA 6.0GB/s versus a SATA 3.0 HDD?

Yes because the things you store on the SATA drive are going to be those large files that benefit from high amounts of bandwidth.  Is that enough reason to justify the price difference?  Depends on how much you will use those files.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #866 on: September 12, 2011, 03:01:46 PM

I recall talking to someone who had one and used it religiously. Said it took him about a week to get used to but now he can't go back to a regular KB/Mouse set up anymore while playing any PC game. I am a little hesitant  to try it out, but I have bene flirting with the idea.

I can't help but feel as if there's no way the precision and dexterity in a thumb can outpace what you can do when you can use your whole arm with a mouse.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #867 on: September 12, 2011, 03:46:28 PM

I can't help but feel as if there's no way the precision and dexterity in a thumb can outpace what you can do when you can use your whole arm with a mouse.

The thumbstick doesn't replace the mouse - it replaces WASD.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #868 on: September 12, 2011, 04:21:44 PM

Thumbstick to replace wsad would be killer.  I've go a Nostromo and I can't use it because it's made for hands of a 6'4 guy, apparently.  If it were a wiimote nunchuck, however, that'd be awesome.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #869 on: September 12, 2011, 04:47:39 PM

Thumbstick to replace wsad would be killer.  I've go a Nostromo and I can't use it because it's made for hands of a 6'4 guy, apparently.  If it were a wiimote nunchuck, however, that'd be awesome.

Something like this?  The two parts can apparently be used independently.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #870 on: September 20, 2011, 06:27:34 AM

So I had been having crashes lately when playing games - just complete system lockups. Installed a device monitor, and found my CPU was getting up around 69c just loading the minecraft launch screen  ACK!. That's on an AMD Athalon X2 3.2GHz.

I'd already tried redoing the thermal paste (which I think I suck at) and it didn't help, plus the stock heat sink was a little scratched up. So I decided to make my first foray in to 3rd party heat sinks. Found an Artic Cooling Freezer 13 pro on sale for $29. Yea, it fits in my case with about 3/16ths of an inch clearance. It's about 8 times the size of my stock heat sink.

Took five minutes to install, and dropped my cpu temp under load from 69c to about 45c. I'm a happy camper.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #871 on: September 20, 2011, 10:31:50 AM

So I had been having crashes lately when playing games - just complete system lockups. Installed a device monitor, and found my CPU was getting up around 69c just loading the minecraft launch screen  ACK!. That's on an AMD Athalon X2 3.2GHz.

I'd already tried redoing the thermal paste (which I think I suck at) and it didn't help, plus the stock heat sink was a little scratched up. So I decided to make my first foray in to 3rd party heat sinks. Found an Artic Cooling Freezer 13 pro on sale for $29. Yea, it fits in my case with about 3/16ths of an inch clearance. It's about 8 times the size of my stock heat sink.

Took five minutes to install, and dropped my cpu temp under load from 69c to about 45c. I'm a happy camper.
Which monitor did you use to track this?
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #872 on: September 20, 2011, 11:11:15 AM

Which monitor did you use to track this?

I like HWMonitor for that stuff.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #873 on: September 20, 2011, 12:15:20 PM

I tried several, and the one linked above was by far the best.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #874 on: September 20, 2011, 05:14:47 PM

Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 96 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  
Jump to: