Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:28:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 96 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  (Read 853601 times)
Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: November 08, 2010, 09:04:33 AM

My speakers have given out.  Rest In Peace: 1998-2010

Recommendations?

Mixamp and headphones. Audiotechnica or Beyer. That's if you don't have a sound card with an amp. The high impedpence Beyers are particularly glorious if you've got a beefy amp. I prefer open cans, so tend to Audiotechnica.

Also, the Corsair HS-1 might be worth a look. Not music cans, but supposedly very good with movies and games. Built-in sounds card (USB headphones).

I"m not much on desktop speakers. I'm still running an ancient gaggle of Logitech 550s. Hardly ever use them. I have a set of Klipsch 2.1s, but they've seen maybe 10 minutes of use in three years on the secondary box.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #386 on: November 15, 2010, 10:30:56 AM

Well, I got the thumbs up for a computer build.  I'm going to do it myself this time since I just about threw my Dell out the window anytime I had to do an upgrade.

Budget I figure is about $1000-1200.  I'd like to keep it to around $1k unless I can get some really good deals for Win 7 and Office Home and Student (run about $220). 

I haven't done this in a while, so it's all a bit overwhelming.

All I'm really set so far on is the i5 760.

The rest I have some questions on.

GPU:  Should I get a 460 or one of the new ATI 6850 cards?  I may SLI/CF down the line later when I need to extend the life of the machine.
RAM:  I'd like to get above 4, but I can be talked out of it.  I know a game will only see 4, but you're running a OS as well.  I guess 3 sticks of 2GB isn't optimal for an i5.  8GB (2x4GB) absolute overkill?
PSU:  How big do I need to go here?  I can always upgrade later if I SLI, but having that option just there wouldn't be bad.
Case: Antec 300 decent enough?

Anyone recommend a motherboard or CPU cooler they're particularly fond of or would be good for this setup? 

Do not need:
HDD - I have a 1TB WD in there. Good enough, right?
Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers

This is all pretty much for gaming.  I want mainly something fast and under budget, hopefully without any sort of possible heat or durability issues.  I don't really plan on overclocking.

-Rasix
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #387 on: November 15, 2010, 10:38:09 AM

Well, I got the thumbs up for a computer build.  I'm going to do it myself this time since I just about threw my Dell out the window anytime I had to do an upgrade.

Budget I figure is about $1000-1200.  I'd like to keep it to around $1k unless I can get some really good deals for Win 7 and Office Home and Student (run about $220). 

I haven't done this in a while, so it's all a bit overwhelming.

All I'm really set so far on is the i5 760.

The rest I have some questions on.

GPU:  Should I get a 460 or one of the new ATI 6850 cards?  I may SLI/CF down the line later when I need to extend the life of the machine.
RAM:  I'd like to get above 4, but I can be talked out of it.  I know a game will only see 4, but you're running a OS as well.  I guess 3 sticks of 2GB isn't optimal for an i5.  8GB (2x4GB) absolute overkill?
PSU:  How big do I need to go here?  I can always upgrade later if I SLI, but having that option just there wouldn't be bad.

Anyone recommend a motherboard or CPU cooler they're particularly fond of or would be good for this setup? 

Do not need:
HDD - I have a 1TB WD in there. Good enough, right?
Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers

This is all pretty much for gaming.  I want mainly something fast and under budget, hopefully without any sort of possible heat or durability issues.  I don't really plan on overclocking.

The Antec 300 is a good case, though with any of the current gen graphics cards, it does tend to get a bit cramped. I would consider finding a case that's got a bit more space to it (front to back).

I'll leave GPU/RAM to Trippy or someone else more on the up with those performance wise, but I can't see a reason why you shouldn't go for 8GB.

As for your HDD, you should consider the option of getting one of the new Intel SSDs once they hit the shelves, which I think should be sometime between now and Christmas. Use it just for your OS or OS + Games. The speed difference is noticeable and with the Intels not increasing in price, it's not really a bad idea.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: November 15, 2010, 10:39:34 AM

I've had 8GB for two years now. RAM is inexpensive. There's no reason not to future-proof by getting as much as you can afford.

PSU:  How big do I need to go here?

I used this site to calculate how much you need to run the parts you select. Then add 100 or so watts to future-proof; PSUs wear down over time.

I'll always recommend a Lian Li. Beautiful, well-ventilated, and designed for easy access.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #389 on: November 15, 2010, 11:57:35 AM

Just remember you need 64 bit Windows with all that RAM.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: November 15, 2010, 12:26:34 PM

I put a Coolermaster V8 cooler on my I5 760 when I built it last month. It might be a little beefy for your needs but I Heart it. I've had it on the slowest speed and it's literally whisper quiet. My CPU temp is 27 at idle and 34 under load.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Rasix

Reply #391 on: November 15, 2010, 01:08:33 PM

Just remember you need 64 bit Windows with all that RAM.

Yep.  I know at least that much.

I've had 8GB for two years now. RAM is inexpensive. There's no reason not to future-proof by getting as much as you can afford.

PSU:  How big do I need to go here?

I used this site to calculate how much you need to run the parts you select. Then add 100 or so watts to future-proof; PSUs wear down over time.

I'll always recommend a Lian Li. Beautiful, well-ventilated, and designed for easy access.

Good point on the RAM.  Looking at this for 2x4GB.

Based on that site, a 650 or 750 would be fine for SLIing down the road (giving enough cushion to play it safe).  I do have a 550W Corsair in my box right now, but it's over 3 years old.

Lian Li cases, in the price range I'm looking at, have a lot of mesh.  I have cats.  I'm not sure how well that'd work out.

-Rasix
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #392 on: November 15, 2010, 01:47:48 PM

Good point on the RAM.  Looking at this for 2x4GB.

Based on that site, a 650 or 750 would be fine for SLIing down the road (giving enough cushion to play it safe).  I do have a 550W Corsair in my box right now, but it's over 3 years old.

Lian Li cases, in the price range I'm looking at, have a lot of mesh.  I have cats.  I'm not sure how well that'd work out.

Try and find a store showing off the case and see if the mesh is metal or fabric. The Antec 300 has a lot of metal/plastic mesh on it.
Rasix

Reply #393 on: November 15, 2010, 06:15:29 PM

So, this PSU pretty decent? 50 bucks off today.  I'm hesitant to stray from Corsair.

-Rasix
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #394 on: November 15, 2010, 08:16:45 PM

newegg has full oem versions of w7 home for $95 on today's (11/15) black November deals.  Had this coolermaster case for about a year now and I still love it (did need to throw a Zalman in to keep the cpu cool enough though). 
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #395 on: November 15, 2010, 09:54:41 PM

newegg has full oem versions of w7 home for $95 on today's (11/15) black November deals.  Had this coolermaster case for about a year now and I still love it (did need to throw a Zalman in to keep the cpu cool enough though). 
lot of duds in the reviews. of course, that's not a scientific assessment, but its still a bit surprising.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Rasix

Reply #396 on: November 15, 2010, 10:13:52 PM

lot of duds in the reviews. of course, that's not a scientific assessment, but its still a bit surprising.

That seems to be the case with any item under 5 "egg" feedback. Heh, even for some with.  Only thing that doesn't make me flinch is people bitching about stock heatsinks/fans on the CPU.

-Rasix
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: November 15, 2010, 10:56:35 PM

So, this PSU pretty decent? 50 bucks off today.  I'm hesitant to stray from Corsair.

I like this one at just $10 more after rebate.  52A on a single 12v rail and 650W total output.

If you haven't already purchased the motherboard or Windows 7, check out this combo.  Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 + W7 Home Premium 64-bit for $195.

As for the CPU cooler, I think the Hyper 212 is generally the go-to bang for the buck choice still, though I went with the Cooler Master V6 (with an extra fan) for my most recent build.  The V6 is frickin huge though:

« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:23:56 PM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Cigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: November 16, 2010, 07:13:07 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.549129

Thats a good combo and alot more horsepower than you have configured now.  Pick your video card and you have a very nice system.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #399 on: November 16, 2010, 07:39:12 AM

[As for the CPU cooler, I think the Hyper 212 is generally the go-to bang for the buck choice still, though I went with the Cooler Master V6 (with an extra fan) for my most recent build.  The V6 is frickin huge though:

WTF is that thing? It's enormous. How loud is it?
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: November 16, 2010, 07:54:52 AM

WTF is that thing? It's enormous. How loud is it?

That's the Cooler Master V6 installed in my PC.  Cools like a champ, but it's a 6.5" cube that weighs something like 2+ pounds and may have clearance issues in a case without 'blown out' sides - it's super overkill for anything but heavy overclocking - probably even moreso than the V8 than MuffinMan recommended.

At 100%, the cooler's fans are somewhat audible, but the fans are running at half speed most of the time, so all you hear is air moving through the case.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #401 on: November 16, 2010, 08:11:55 AM

Damn, that's crazy.

Any suggestions for an aftermarket cooler for an ATI 4XXX HD card? The amount of fan speed increase on simple tasks is crazy. Any HD video instantly causes an audible sound increase on the card.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: November 16, 2010, 08:19:24 AM

Damn, that's crazy.

Any suggestions for an aftermarket cooler for an ATI 4XXX HD card? The amount of fan speed increase on simple tasks is crazy. Any HD video instantly causes an audible sound increase on the card.

I used the Scythe Musashi on the HD4850 installed in my last machine because I didn't realize the stock cooler on the card wasn't speed-controlled and was set at 100% all the time until it was too late.  It's pretty big and a bit spendy but it runs quietly.

Rasix

Reply #403 on: November 16, 2010, 08:52:35 AM

-Rasix
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: November 16, 2010, 08:58:17 AM

I'm using the older (pre-USB 3) version of that board currently and like it quite a lot.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #405 on: November 16, 2010, 09:52:41 AM

I used the Scythe Musashi on the HD4850 installed in my last machine because I didn't realize the stock cooler on the card wasn't speed-controlled and was set at 100% all the time until it was too late.  It's pretty big and a bit spendy but it runs quietly.

What brand was yours? I think mine is Built by ATI and the fan is speed-controlled. 4850 too. Did you find the card sped up a lot with the new fan? I'm really trying to find a way around it making lots of sound during small tasks. Don't care so much when it goes nuts during gaming. I expect that running games at 1080.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: November 16, 2010, 10:25:23 AM

What brand was yours? I think mine is Built by ATI and the fan is speed-controlled. 4850 too. Did you find the card sped up a lot with the new fan? I'm really trying to find a way around it making lots of sound during small tasks. Don't care so much when it goes nuts during gaming. I expect that running games at 1080.

The card was an overclocked Gigabyte with a Zalman cooler installed by the manufacturer.  The Musashi has speed controls for both fans mounted on a PCI slot cover, but it was pretty quiet to my ears even running at full blast.

Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: November 16, 2010, 10:27:22 AM

So, this PSU pretty decent? 50 bucks off today.  I'm hesitant to stray from Corsair.

Holy shit! Run from that thing screaming. OCZ isn't worth two hoots in hell for PSUs. They're budget level, rebranded junk. Trust me, I know from personal experience. I had a 600watt OCZ fail and take most of the guts in my old C2D box with it (only the vid card survived).

Stay with Seasonic or Corsair (rebranded Seasonic). Can't go wrong there. The AX series PSUs are pricey, but truly outstanding units.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #408 on: November 16, 2010, 10:36:14 AM

The card was an overclocked Gigabyte with a Zalman cooler installed by the manufacturer.  The Musashi has speed controls for both fans mounted on a PCI slot cover, but it was pretty quiet to my ears even running at full blast.

Awesome, thanks! I've been having a hard time finding a cooler in local stores, so this helps a lot.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: November 16, 2010, 11:06:04 AM

Holy shit! Run from that thing screaming. OCZ isn't worth two hoots in hell for PSUs. They're budget level, rebranded junk. Trust me, I know from personal experience. I had a 600watt OCZ fail and take most of the guts in my old C2D box with it (only the vid card survived).

Stay with Seasonic or Corsair (rebranded Seasonic). Can't go wrong there. The AX series PSUs are pricey, but truly outstanding units.

I'm fairly certain that XFX's PSUs are also rebranded Seasonic units as well.

Awesome, thanks! I've been having a hard time finding a cooler in local stores, so this helps a lot.

If you pick the Musashi up, installation is pretty fiddly due to the size of the parts involved.  I had to lay the cooler fan-side down on a table after installing the threaded pins and then place the card on top of it.  It will 'wobble' a bit even if the thumbscrews are threaded to the stops - the backplate has some flex in it - but should still be making good contact on the GPU die.  Also, the reviews aren't kidding about the included VRAM heatsinks being attached with pretty cheesy thermal tape, so clean everything with alcohol and give the glue in the tape time to 'set' before trying to install it or you'll be picking them up off the floor of your case in short order.  SPCR found that you can also just mount the Musashi on top of some of the stock ATI cooling plates, which would let you skip the RAM heatsinks altogether.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 11:10:25 AM by MisterNoisy »

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #410 on: November 16, 2010, 09:59:28 PM

The performance seems pretty comparable. Personally I'd go with NVIDIA but that's cause I like the drivers better.

Since you going with an LGA 1156 motherboard and you want to leave the option of SLI/Crossfire open I would suggest you take a look at boards with the NF200 chipset on it. This will give you extra PCI-e lanes so you can get a full x16/x16 in SLI mode/Crossfire mode. The P55 chipset by itself does not support enough PCI-e lanes to do that. However boards with the NF200 are typically designed for quad-SLI/Crossfire and they often give up other features to support that.

E.g. this board without the NF200 has USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gb/s support but only supports x8/x8 in SLI/Crossfire mode (I own this one):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131621

This board in contrast doesn't support USB 3.0 or SATA 6 Gb/s but can do x16/x16/x8/x8 thanks to the NF200:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131594

For heat sink I have this one on my LGA 1156 motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608014&Tpk=Noctua%20NH-U12P

This heatsink screws down (though it's somewhat fiddly) which I strongly prefer over clips that you have to bend or use push pins. One drawback is that the fan closer to the front of the case, if you install it, may block other components. E.g. on my motherboard I can't fit memory with tall "fins" in the memory slots closest to the CPU with that fan installed.

Not all Corsair are made by Seasonic. You need to Google which series are made by whom. The AXs do happen to be made by Seasonic and are based on their X series.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: November 17, 2010, 06:33:41 AM

To emphasize what Trippy said, If you get a tower cooler, make sure you get a bracket or it comes with one.  Push pins suck for normal fans.  They're absolutely terrible for tower coolers and will pop off at some point due to their weight.  Once they start doing that, they'll get worse about it, and you'll end up having to pull your system apart to install the bracket anyways.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #412 on: November 17, 2010, 09:13:05 AM

I just got an evga 460 gtx with an external exhaust. It really keeps the case very cool, but it's loud as fuck. Not sure I'd go that way again, though the card is decent enough. Then again, I really need to look at liquid cooling because in the winter it gets so damned hot in my living room it's like having a hair dryer. The internal fan on my old 8800gtx was also larger and quieter, I think they cheaped on the actual fan part.

Anyway, 2¢. Performance-wise, I'm happy with it as a mid-range card.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #413 on: November 17, 2010, 09:56:26 AM

Just wanted to throw this out there for anyone thinking about building a new system any time soon.

Microcenter has the i7 950 on sale for $199 right now. Everywhere else its pushing around $295. So this is a fantastic deal. I also found out that Microcenter will price match Newegg.

I picked up the i7 950 and also a Corsair hx850w modular PSU.
Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: November 17, 2010, 10:13:52 AM

Anandtech just put up a preview of Asus' newest mobos aimed at Intel's new Sandybridge CPU. This stuff looks really hot. Sandybridge isn't expected to drop until Febuary, but if you can wait this stuff is looking really good.

AMD still has a few things in the offing that might be worth postponing a build. The 6900 series vid cards and especially Bulldozer will be very significant players in the computer arms race this next year.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: November 17, 2010, 11:46:05 AM

Up until 2 years ago I was probably more loyal to the ASUS brand than any other maker of PC components for a period spanning over a decade.  The last 2 ASUS mobos I have purchased have sucked donkey balls, the new gigabyte board I replaced them with was cheaper, easier to manage and more feature ladden for less money and I have had no issues with it whatsoever.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #416 on: November 17, 2010, 02:07:57 PM

I too was am a Gigabyte convert from Asus. Nothing particularly wrong with Asus, but I found Gigabyte simpler and the last 3 boards have been steady.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #417 on: November 18, 2010, 09:36:22 AM

My ASUS board is almost four years old now, so I'm not sure who I'm loyal to :P

I was thinking of a cheap cpu bump for games that are cpu-bound with the 460gtx, why the hell is the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 $330? It's ancient in cpu terms, ffs, and as Morf points out you can get a galdern i7 for less. For an extra hundred bucks I could get an i5 750, mobo and 4GB of ram, ffs.

I'd really love to get the cpu/mobo/ram upgrade and slap in a second 460. In my dream world where I have money to do so.
Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: November 18, 2010, 10:24:16 AM

You can put me in the Gigabyte camp as well. My last 3 machines had Asus mobos, but this one has a Gigabyte and I couldn't be more pleased with it.

What goes in my Sandybridge (or possibly Bulldozer) box still remains to be seen, but Gigabyte will definately be a player when I comes time to drop the cash. Not planning on doing anything before mid-summer of '11, but definatly building something around the July/Aug time frame.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #419 on: November 18, 2010, 11:45:17 AM

I was thinking of a cheap cpu bump for games that are cpu-bound with the 460gtx, why the hell is the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 $330?

Its expensive for precisely the reason you're still considering it; its the end of your socket type upgrade path and they know that consumers would sooner replace a CPU than the whole board. Its always been so, a little less with AMDs.

I would go ahead, bite the bullet and do a full upgrade (recommend a i5 760); Trippy or someone else can correct me, but with a C2Q on an ole P35(?) chipset, you will not be using the full PCI capacity of your new video card.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 96 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  
Jump to: