Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:25:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 96 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  (Read 853993 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #350 on: October 20, 2010, 06:33:09 AM

Just realized that I posted my question in the wrong thread last night... trying this again. 

Anyone have good experience with pre-built boxes?  My dad needs a new PC and he's a few hours away... I'd build him one, but if anything went wrong and I'm not there then I'd feel crappy.  And I don't feel like tech support over the phone with him.

He'll use it for photo storage, email/internet and gaming.  He's not bleeding edge graphics guy, but plays WoW and Dragon Age.  His current system has both on the lowest settings and is a really terrible experience. 

System specs seem almost similar as I'm looking at them.  I'll get him Win7 and 4+gig memory, but I'm lost on current CPUs and Video Cards, especially in pre-built.  He's got monitor, kyb, mouse... just needs a new box. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #351 on: October 20, 2010, 07:35:37 AM

Budget and location?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #352 on: October 20, 2010, 07:38:12 AM

I gotta say I know its a build your own thread but just saying. Newegg 590.00 shipped.

Processor:
    AMD Athlon II X2 240(2.8GHz)

Processor Main Features:
    64 bit Dual Core Processor

Cache Per Processor:
    2MB L2 Cache

Memory:
    4GB DDR3 1333

Hard Drive:
    500GB SATA II

Optical Drive 1:
    24X DL DVD+/-RW Drive

Graphics:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT240 1GB

It runs lotrol in dx 10 real smooth. It plays Vampire the masquerade better than any computer I've ever had. That is without moniter. Keyboard mouse and tower. I couldn't figure out how to build cheaper.
1 x ($559.99) DT IBUYPOWER | GAMER POWER 538D3
$559.99

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #353 on: October 20, 2010, 07:41:47 AM

It plays Vampire the masquerade better than any computer I've ever had. That is without moniter.

*snort*

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #354 on: October 20, 2010, 07:54:37 AM

I bet it runs WoW great, too!
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #355 on: October 20, 2010, 07:58:16 AM

Budget and location?

Likely a sub-$750 purchase in America - I'll buy online.  

Mostly just looking for opinions on branding and what CPU/GPUs are halfway decent in pre-builts.  I'd build myself, but that whole "I'm the lifetime tech support" is something I really want to stay away from.  He just needs a stable box that can play WoW and Dragon Age on fair settings.  Though I'd love if he gets a unit that can play WoW on Ultra.  
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #356 on: October 20, 2010, 08:03:09 AM

Home purchases aren't as great as office place ones I understand, but Dell while under on-site warranty has always been good for us.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #357 on: October 20, 2010, 08:43:51 AM

Dell does use 3rd party techs, though. I showed the last one how to replace the motherboard on a USFF.  Ohhhhh, I see.

We're looking for a notebook. What a total pain in the ass that is turning out to be. Found a decent-sounding Toshiba, but it's Office Depot only, no stores within 100 miles and no refund if you open the box undecided A few Asus and Acers sound good, but seeing mixed reviews. Tried to get some hands-on at Best Buy but almost killed the sales staff there, loud, obnoxious and hovery. Probably end up just giving up and getting a Dell Studio 15.

Any feedback or ideas about notebooks welcome, ideally would like to get something that has some longevity for under 700 bucks. (Well, ideally would get a mac, but $1800 for the 15" is  ACK!)
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #358 on: October 20, 2010, 10:20:40 AM

Dell does use 3rd party techs, though. I showed the last one how to replace the motherboard on a USFF.  Ohhhhh, I see.

We're looking for a notebook. What a total pain in the ass that is turning out to be. Found a decent-sounding Toshiba, but it's Office Depot only, no stores within 100 miles and no refund if you open the box undecided A few Asus and Acers sound good, but seeing mixed reviews. Tried to get some hands-on at Best Buy but almost killed the sales staff there, loud, obnoxious and hovery. Probably end up just giving up and getting a Dell Studio 15.

Any feedback or ideas about notebooks welcome, ideally would like to get something that has some longevity for under 700 bucks. (Well, ideally would get a mac, but $1800 for the 15" is  ACK!)
The Dell Outlet has been bombarding me with 20-25% off coupons since school started up.  Their new redesign for searching outlet inventory sucks but after some poking around I found a Studio XPS 1647 with the following stats:

* Studio XPS 16 - 1647 Laptop
    * Processor: Intel Core i5-430M Processor (2.26GHz, 4Threads, turbo boost up to   2.53Ghz,3M cache)
    * Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
    * 500 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) with Free Fall Sensor
    * 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)
    * 8X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
    * 1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670

$819 bucks and you can whack 20% off that with this coupon code: G33V36FJ4W63CL (expires on the 22nd).

I have a Studio 17 that I purchased through the outlet and am pretty happy with it (even though the graphics card isn't as good as what is in an XPS).  

I did talk a buddy of mine into pretty much the same laptop listed above and it arrived with some loose parts floating around inside (sounded like a fan had come loose), Dell took it back for a full refund but it it still soured him a bit on the whole outlet thing so he went full retail on his repurchase.  After a month on his new machine (once the new car smell faded a bit) he admitted that if he had to do it over he would have given the outlet another go.

edit: did a refresh and same another XPS 1647 came up with a 5730 card and the bluetooth module for $919.  Took me well over an hour to strip my laptop down and install the bluetooth module so my suggestion is get it preinstalled if you want it.  Anyhoo that is the whole fun of the outlet you get to hit f5 40 times in 2 days to get a feel for the inventory then spend another 2 days hitting f5 to refind the specific model you decided on.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 10:31:00 AM by Salamok »
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #359 on: October 20, 2010, 11:03:06 AM

Budget and location?

Likely a sub-$750 purchase in America - I'll buy online.  

Mostly just looking for opinions on branding and what CPU/GPUs are halfway decent in pre-builts.  I'd build myself, but that whole "I'm the lifetime tech support" is something I really want to stay away from.  He just needs a stable box that can play WoW and Dragon Age on fair settings.  Though I'd love if he gets a unit that can play WoW on Ultra.  

If you are willing to go a bit Off-brand and take that assumed risk, TigerDirect has some options.

However, you'll perhaps notice that although the processors are fine for 90% of gaming, the video cards are really budget. Skirting the $650 dollar range they're offering 9500 and 240 cards, which really isn't great even for casual gaming. I'd sooner go for Dell's Studio XPS 7100 Desktop, retailing at ~$700.

Another option is getting a desktop that's not meant for gaming and then buying a video card after the fact. The only problem there is that its liable to come with a power supply that may not give enough juice to a card that needs a dedicated PCI-E power connection. Then you're back into fiddly land with your dad, which is what you're trying to avoid.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: October 20, 2010, 12:16:16 PM

Thanks, Salamok. Used that coupon on a non-xps studio 15 refurb (don't need the xps stuff) with an i5-450 for $650. Might have been able to hunt down a better deal, but she wants a simple 15.6" laptop with backlit keys ASAP. She's happy, so I'm happy :)
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: October 20, 2010, 01:16:48 PM

Thanks, Salamok. Used that coupon on a non-xps studio 15 refurb (don't need the xps stuff) with an i5-450 for $650. Might have been able to hunt down a better deal, but she wants a simple 15.6" laptop with backlit keys ASAP. She's happy, so I'm happy :)

np, glad someone got to use it.  Every three weeks I get one of these emailed to me and it makes me itch to buy something.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: October 20, 2010, 03:26:02 PM

After searching all day, that's pretty much what I came up with, Engels.  Thanks for your time.  Not sure what to do, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm building a system soon. 
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #363 on: October 20, 2010, 04:44:04 PM

Just realized that I posted my question in the wrong thread last night... trying this again.  

Anyone have good experience with pre-built boxes?  My dad needs a new PC and he's a few hours away... I'd build him one, but if anything went wrong and I'm not there then I'd feel crappy.  And I don't feel like tech support over the phone with him.

He'll use it for photo storage, email/internet and gaming.  He's not bleeding edge graphics guy, but plays WoW and Dragon Age.  His current system has both on the lowest settings and is a really terrible experience.  

System specs seem almost similar as I'm looking at them.  I'll get him Win7 and 4+gig memory, but I'm lost on current CPUs and Video Cards, especially in pre-built.  He's got monitor, kyb, mouse... just needs a new box.  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I just bought an ibuypower box off of amazon (it had it the same price as newegg).  Only had it a week but like it so far. Got the i5/8GB RAM/1 TB/GTX460 version for a grand. Probably paid a few hundred over self-built but had it less than 24 hours after I purchased and its works great (disclaimer: only had it for a week).

EDIT: Just read your later post and this is likely more machine than you need.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #364 on: October 21, 2010, 07:06:44 AM

I just bought an ibuypower box off of amazon (it had it the same price as newegg).
Remember, newegg = no tax. Shipping can be a mixed bag, though it's much faster with newegg (generally next business day).
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #365 on: October 21, 2010, 08:51:10 AM

No tax on amazon either, at least for me there isn't.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: October 21, 2010, 09:10:19 AM

Interesting. The egg began charging tax in NYS, but the backlash was so severe they stopped. There's some forumla you have to work out on your income tax for internet purchases, but there's also a flat fee you can pay.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: October 23, 2010, 11:06:41 AM

So, since I was talking about mice a few pages back I thought I'd mention I finally replaced my MX Revolution with the Logitech Wireless Gaming Mouse G700, and I figured I'd give a few comments incase anyone else was interested in the mouse discussion.

The mouse is pretty nice, shaped like the Revolution so it's quite comfortable to me.  The number of mouse buttons are nice, and the four thumb buttons are easier to get used to than I thought - I very quickly picked up on them.  Technically four thumb buttons is one less than the MX Revolution - the Revolution's thumb-wheel was essentially three buttons, forward, back, and click, along with the standard two thumb buttons.  The G700 makes up for that with the oddly positioned three buttons next to my index finger though, so it has two more buttons total than the Revolution.  Those are, as I expected, somewhat awkward to press.  I may get used to them with more time, but I expect they'll always be a little odd to press.

The only big complaint I have, coming from the MX Revolution, is that my favorite feature of the Revolution is now kind of gimped.  One of the main reasons I chose the G700 was the freespin scroll wheel like the Revolution.  It has this, yes, but switching between freespin and click mode is now manual.  One of the two buttons just below the mouse wheel is a manual locking mechanism that locks and unlocks the scroll wheel.  There is no other way to switch modes, and what hurts the most is that it doesn't switch modes automatically.  For anyone unfamiliar with the MX Revolution, once you spin the wheel more than a few clicks, it automatically releases and goes into freespin mode if it's set that way, then automatically re-locks into click to click mode when the spinning slows down.  For the G700 to require a manual button press to lock and unlock makes it very inconvenient to use this feature.

Overall, thumbs up on the mouse, but big frowny-face at the manual-only wheel mechanism.  Why they would take a step back after giving us the perfect mousewheel with the MX Revolution I don't understand.  I'm definitely going to write to them to express my opinion that the Revolution wheel was better and if they made a version of the G700 with an automatic switching wheel, it might be the last mouse I ever need.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #368 on: November 02, 2010, 07:50:17 AM

How viable is it to buy a new computer in parts over the next 4-5 months and it not be obsolete by the time I get it up and running?

I don't necessarily need a new computer right now, but my current box is starting to make some noises and I'd like to be prepared this time.

Also, suggestions on parts? Budget is ~$800-900 and I'd like SSD.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: November 02, 2010, 08:22:30 AM

Considering my current system is about two years old and plays everything fine, it's viable.

However, you're better off setting aside the money you would spend each month, and not purchasing anything until either there is a great sale on a useful piece, and/or you're ready to buy everything.  That means your warranties are closer to boot date, and prices may have dropped enough to save you a hundred or two given you're anticipating almost half a year of gathering.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: November 02, 2010, 08:43:42 AM

Listen to Lantyssa, she speaks words of wisdom. Or types them, really.

Another angle to the warranty thing is that if you wait that long, you won't even be plugging some parts in until some warranty (or at least rma) windows have closed.
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: November 02, 2010, 10:50:14 AM

not purchasing anything until either there is a great sale on a useful piece...

Keep an eye on the upcoming Black Friday.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: November 03, 2010, 07:51:30 AM

also Intel is expected in the 4th quarter 2010 or 1st quarter 2011 to double the sizes on it's current line of SSD's w/o doubling the prices.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #373 on: November 03, 2010, 11:53:17 AM

My speakers have given out.  Rest In Peace: 1998-2010

Recommendations?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #374 on: November 03, 2010, 05:02:33 PM

also Intel is expected in the 4th quarter 2010 or 1st quarter 2011 to double the sizes on it's current line of SSD's w/o doubling the prices.

Yeah, I've been waiting for that  before purchasing one. That's on the top of my list because my current HDD isn't sounding too good.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #375 on: November 03, 2010, 05:29:50 PM

Recommendations?

Whatever unused once you can find lying around the office?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #376 on: November 03, 2010, 05:57:12 PM

Recommendations?

If you are just looking for stereo speakers that have great sound quality, I am really happy with these:

http://www.alesis.com/m1active320usb

I got them for like 85 bucks at Guitar Center last year.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #377 on: November 03, 2010, 10:24:04 PM

Recommendations?

If you are just looking for stereo speakers that have great sound quality, I am really happy with these:

http://www.alesis.com/m1active320usb

I got them for like 85 bucks at Guitar Center last year.
I use lower-end studio monitors (non-USB) as well and really like them:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileAV40.html

Mine are sitting on speaker stands behind my desk to get them up to the proper height. Positioning of "near-field" speakers is very important -- you basically have to point them straight at your ears to get the best sound. Also if you like booming bass studio monitors are not for you.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #378 on: November 04, 2010, 06:52:23 AM

Whatever unused once you can find lying around the office?

I don't seem to work in that sort of place.

The family does not appreciate bass.  I will look around some more.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: November 04, 2010, 06:52:41 AM

I would not recommend monitors unless you know what you're getting into. Consumer ears are not trained for them.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #380 on: November 04, 2010, 10:12:05 AM

I don't seem to work in that sort of place.

The family does not appreciate bass.  I will look around some more.  Thanks for the suggestions.
http://www.trittonusa.com/
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: November 05, 2010, 03:14:09 PM

Slightly offtopic, but I'm looking for a laptop that I can play games and watch movies on, in addition to the usual word/excel/surfing shit. Would really rather not go over $1800 or so (I'm an underpaid civil servant now). Of course, I'd be happy to go lower. Anandtech fellated the ASUS G73Jh pretty hard 6 months ago http://www.anandtech.com/show/3795/mobile-buyers-guide-notebooks-dtrs/6 and still seems to like it and its successor, the G73Jw, which seems to be basically the same system with better battery life http://www.anandtech.com/show/3998/asus-g73jw-geforce-gtx-460m/5

Any reason not to get one of those?

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #382 on: November 05, 2010, 08:12:56 PM

Do you plan on carrying this thing around? For a movie watching laptop I like that it's 1080p and has Blu-ray but it's pretty heavy.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #383 on: November 06, 2010, 07:43:53 AM

Ya, a version of an addage applies to laptops

-Plays Games
-Light
-Cheap

Pick two.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #384 on: November 06, 2010, 08:22:08 PM

Alienware M17x R2 at you guessed it the Dell Outlet, 20% off coupon:  Z?6517S913?Z2G
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 96 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  
Jump to: