Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:11:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 96 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  (Read 853716 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1085 on: May 10, 2012, 12:38:59 PM

Not going with the 690? Eat
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1086 on: May 10, 2012, 03:13:53 PM

Good god, no.  $1K is a bit much, methinks.  I was considering a 680, but the 670 comes incredibly close to its performance for 20% less cash.  Since I found a buyer for my 570 beforehand, it's actually a reasonably-priced upgrade now.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1087 on: May 14, 2012, 05:03:33 AM

I struggle to find a reason to be even tempted to upgrade my GTX570.  I mean, it plays everything I have at max settings and max quality at high framerate (or close enough that it is negligible).  We seem to have reached some weird state where not only is tech not advancing as fast as it once did, but at the same time the software isn't requiring it to (and the two things are probably quite related).  I don't think this is a good thing.

There is an interesting discussion in this somewhere.  Are we running out of ways to advance the tech (beyond the fake bullshit of adding extra cores to everything)?  Has the console plague finally started holding advancement back in earnest?  Are we simply satisfied as consumers at the point we've reached (graphically speaking) and simply aren't asking for more?  Or have we simply seen what Uncanny Valley looks like and are afraid to cross it?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1088 on: May 14, 2012, 05:12:29 AM

Probably more that development technique/focus has evolved enough so that playing games at lower settings isn't as painful as it used to be.  Also, blame Blizzard for demonstrating that selling boxes to lower end hardware makes just as much (or more) money as selling boxes to early adopters.

That said, we're kind of at a lull in new super hot graphics engine development and once the next gen engines start becoming available I'm sure we will see resource hogging back in full swing again.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1089 on: May 14, 2012, 05:24:52 AM

There is something to be said about the Blizzard effect, but I wonder if all the crummy social games are a better analogy.  Facebook, iphones, all that stuff.

That lull you are talking about, however...I'd argue we've been in it for YEARS.  A game like Crysis would still be considered a pretty spiffy game by current measures.  And I recall my 8800GT doing a fairly decent (not great) job of running it....5 years ago or so.  My 570 is something like five or six generations beyond that 8800GT, but it isn't like it is exponentially better like we would normally expect.  A five generation difference back in The Day was a massive chasm.  What card came 5 gens prior to the 8800GT and how would it measure up?  It wouldn't.

So, not sure it is a lull.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1090 on: May 14, 2012, 06:41:21 AM

I'd go with 'has to run on 360/PS3'.

That said, my gtx 460 sli is pretty decent, though it does get a bit toasty with rift or TOR. Played a bit of Metro 2033 over the weekend and it definitely slows a bit with all the ambient occlusion and volumetric effects at 1080p. For sake of TDP and cooling, I'd prefer to go back to a single card solution at some point.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1091 on: May 14, 2012, 07:02:30 AM

So, not sure it is a lull.

See, Cry engine 3 any minute now and the latest Id tech is just now starting to be used for outside development and also there is a new Unreal Engine due out at the end of this year.  So yeah, a lull.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 01:11:59 PM by Murgos »

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1092 on: May 14, 2012, 12:46:42 PM

I'd go with 'has to run on 360/PS3'.

That said, my gtx 460 sli is pretty decent, though it does get a bit toasty with rift or TOR. Played a bit of Metro 2033 over the weekend and it definitely slows a bit with all the ambient occlusion and volumetric effects at 1080p. For sake of TDP and cooling, I'd prefer to go back to a single card solution at some point.

You could probably cut the heat down by transplanting everything into a newer case.  Antec even has the P280 out now if you like the aesthetics of the old P180 series cases, but want more modern features (layout, cable management, USB 3.0, etc).

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1093 on: May 14, 2012, 12:54:32 PM

It's fine with everything but those two mmo. I put a couple 120mm fans on the side, but I need to dremel out the case a bit to fit them in properly. With those on, keeps it at 60C even with the mmos.

Also, lack of funds for a new case. I won't be doing anything computer upgrade-related for years.

Also, looking at that case, hard to see how that's much of an improvement since it deletes the intake fans and opens the lower chamber. I'll stick with ye olde 180, it's a great layout. The main issue with SLI is that I've got two of the biggest coolers known to man on them, and the acelero is trying to vent directly onto the twin frozr's backside. Introduced the two side intakes and it's all good. Also put in the 4-in-3 bay you mentioned, which just completely vents the top portion of the upper chamber without breaking the airflow through the cpu (the 280's design is odd imo), and adds a bit of extra cooling over the RAM. Just need to put in a better fan because ZOMGTEHLEDS.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 01:00:24 PM by Sky »
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1094 on: May 14, 2012, 01:28:35 PM

Also, looking at that case, hard to see how that's much of an improvement since it deletes the intake fans and opens the lower chamber. I'll stick with ye olde 180, it's a great layout. The main issue with SLI is that I've got two of the biggest coolers known to man on them, and the acelero is trying to vent directly onto the twin frozr's backside. Introduced the two side intakes and it's all good.

Actually, the front intake fan mounts are still there, but you have to supply the fans.  As far as the lower chamber goes, now you mount the PSU intake-side down on the bottom, effectively creating a closed system for the PSU.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1095 on: May 14, 2012, 05:47:39 PM

I hate to DP, but I figured I'd post my best bud's new PC build.  Under $1k total got him this (admittedly the video card was purchased at a discount, since it was used):

Core i5 2500K under a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+
ASUS P8Z77-V-LK
8GB Corsair Vengeance
ASUS ENGTX570 DirectCu2
Crucial M4 128GB
(Data/storage drive TBA)
Corsair TX750-V2
NZXT Tempest 410
Xigmatek XLF 120/140mm fans

For his first pass at cable management, I'd say he did pretty well.

EDIT:  Spoilered titanic image
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:50:19 AM by MisterNoisy »

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1096 on: May 14, 2012, 08:09:03 PM

My computer room is really, really dusty.  I've done about all I can with daily sweeping and air filters.  Are there any cases that are better at keeping dust out of a case?  Maybe with removable filters or something.
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1097 on: May 14, 2012, 08:15:50 PM

Dust filter on the front of my antec sonata and then duct taping every hole that doesn't have an active exhaust has worked out pretty good for me.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1098 on: May 14, 2012, 08:51:17 PM

My computer room is really, really dusty.  I've done about all I can with daily sweeping and air filters.  Are there any cases that are better at keeping dust out of a case?  Maybe with removable filters or something.

The NZXT H2 and Lian Li K63 are both fairly inexpensive and have filters on all of the intakes.  Without knowing your other requirements, it'd be hard to say, though.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1099 on: May 14, 2012, 10:03:37 PM

I'm going to do a build this summer, but I'm so sick of the dust in my Antec 900 and really want a less dusty case.  I was originally going to splurge on the Corsair 600t, but it looks like it might be a dusthog too.

I don't overclock, I'm not liquid cooling.  I just tend to build solid systems that last for 3-5 years, then I do a full new build.  My latest system is *gasp* nearly 5 years old and is just now giving me issues with being unable to run newer games smoothly.

Are Hazaro's builds on Neogaf still pretty competent?  I know I'm going with 16gig memory and likely a gtx670 from what I've read here.  That $3-400 pricepoint on the graphics card seems pretty decent.  I still have yet to research CPUs, and I'm on the fence about trying a SSD yet. 
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1100 on: May 15, 2012, 12:25:45 AM

I love my ssd. I call it Lenny.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #1101 on: May 15, 2012, 06:31:05 AM

When you are considering $300-$400 graphics cards and the top tier ssd's are selling under $1/gb the only thing you should be on the fence about is which ssd to get.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1102 on: May 15, 2012, 07:03:25 AM

I love my ssd. I call it Lenny.
Careful with that.

Hawkbit: clean your room. If you've got clean filters on the pc and still need to dust it daily, that's insane. It's not that bad in the circulation office here which handles a thousand or more books a day and is legendary for dust creation. Are you sanding drywall daily or something? Filter your intakes and maybe seal any gaps, dust should not be able to get into the case in any appreciable amount. When I cracked mine open last year, it was almost clean inside (I blame the seams around unused 5-1/4 drive bays).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:07:51 AM by Sky »
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1103 on: May 15, 2012, 07:37:24 AM

Are Hazaro's builds on Neogaf still pretty competent?  I know I'm going with 16gig memory and likely a gtx670 from what I've read here.  That $3-400 pricepoint on the graphics card seems pretty decent.  I still have yet to research CPUs, and I'm on the fence about trying a SSD yet. 

Yea - my taste in cases differs, but otherwise, I like the stuff he's got posted there.  I'd have a hard time recommending anything other than a 2500K unless price is no object, and once you're above $1K, an SSD is definitely worth picking up.

Also, interesting Ivy Bridge tidbit.

The thermal interface material change made by Intel when it went from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge is indeed the cause of the excessive temperatures we’ve observed while overclocking.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1104 on: May 15, 2012, 07:45:25 AM

This new place is just crazy dusty.  It uses radiant heat, as opposed to every other place we've lived that uses forced air.  The downside to radiant heat is that there is literally no air movement through the house, hence the portable air filters.  I'm using a filter that is rated to turn air over roughly 23 times an hour or something, and pretty much looks like R2D2.  The biggest problem is that our cats hang out down there because that area is gated off from the dog.  So no air movement and cats pretty much destroys a room.  

Anyways, thanks for the tips, all.  As I get closer to putting a build together I'll post it up.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1105 on: May 15, 2012, 09:25:07 AM

Forced air puts more particulates into the air. I didn't realize you were using some portable air filter, you'd be better off just doing more vacuuming with a hepa vac, because an air filter isn't going to remove the source of the particulates.

When we're talking about filters, we mean filters on the intake fans of the computer (or the passive grills if you don't use intakes). If you don't do that, in your situation you're creating a vacuum for any particulates you or the furry ones stir up moving about the room. With the active air filter, it's adding to suspension of the particulates in the room, too.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1106 on: May 15, 2012, 05:52:23 PM

Got my GTX670 in, and also installed a new SSD since the old one was giving me fits.  The 670 is something of a beast - P9209 3DMarks!

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1107 on: May 15, 2012, 08:51:27 PM

Forced air puts more particulates into the air. I didn't realize you were using some portable air filter, you'd be better off just doing more vacuuming with a hepa vac, because an air filter isn't going to remove the source of the particulates.

When we're talking about filters, we mean filters on the intake fans of the computer (or the passive grills if you don't use intakes). If you don't do that, in your situation you're creating a vacuum for any particulates you or the furry ones stir up moving about the room. With the active air filter, it's adding to suspension of the particulates in the room, too.

Common sense tells me you're right.  However, actually experience leads to a different conclusion.  If I don't run the portable air filter my front grills are dusty in 24 hours; with air filters running I get a week tops before needing to clean.  I haven't mentioned it, but I hate this fucking house.

Regarding your comment on passive grills, are there any aftermarket or homemade jobs that might help cut down on the dust on the intakes?  Again, it's an Antec900, so it has a fairly large amount of open space to cover.  If it wouldn't kill the airflow and create a fire hazard I'd just wrap the whole thing in pantyhose to make it look like a bank robber.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1108 on: May 15, 2012, 09:08:46 PM

Got my GTX670 in, and also installed a new SSD since the old one was giving me fits.  The 670 is something of a beast - P9209 3DMarks!
You've got double the RAM (in more slots, too), a more aggressive overclock and the Z68; but yeah, that's a heck of a card over my dual 460 system's P6937 3DMarks.

And Hawkbit, my gpus hit 71 and 66 running the full 3dmark11 demo+test using a couple swiffers as intake filters. They probably cut some airflow, but I'm ok with it and they pick up a lot of dust. Just make sure to test your system after any change like that, stress it and keep an eye on temps for a while.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1109 on: May 15, 2012, 09:47:58 PM

Swiffers, perfect idea.  Thanks. 
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1110 on: May 16, 2012, 03:30:01 AM

Swiffers, perfect idea.  Thanks. 

You can also use dryer sheets (used... I suggest twice-used sheets). They provide enough airflow and are easy to switch to new ones without a ton of cost.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1111 on: May 16, 2012, 04:19:29 AM

I just recently installed a new motorized projector screen for my man cave (had a cheap-ish home built frame that I have been using the past few years, which served me well).  300 diagonal inches of pure joy when matched to my 1080p projector.  I may have to go buy D3 and play it on there tonight.

I mention it here because I cannot emphasize enough how much you are missing out if you don't have such a setup.  It really isn't that expensive, and to be frank...it beats the ever loving shit out of the average movie theater setup.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1112 on: May 16, 2012, 06:39:00 AM

I just recently installed a new motorized projector screen for my man cave (had a cheap-ish home built frame that I have been using the past few years, which served me well).  300 diagonal inches of pure joy when matched to my 1080p projector.  I may have to go buy D3 and play it on there tonight.

I mention it here because I cannot emphasize enough how much you are missing out if you don't have such a setup.  It really isn't that expensive, and to be frank...it beats the ever loving shit out of the average movie theater setup.
Be careful with that shit.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1113 on: May 16, 2012, 06:39:42 AM

Also, screw you guys. Now I'm jonesing for an SSD and I'm broke  Sad Panda
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #1114 on: May 18, 2012, 12:11:06 PM

I just went out at lunch and picked my 1st ssd, this one: http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=62603&vpn=OCZSSD2-1VTXPL120G&manufacture=OCZ%20Technology&promoid=1114

Cant wait to get home and do a fresh install of win7

Professional Forum Lurker.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1115 on: May 21, 2012, 04:13:36 AM

Be careful with that shit.

Uh oh.  I'm not becoming That Guy, am I?    ACK!

Still, there is a ton of bang-for-buck here if you have room for it.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1116 on: May 21, 2012, 07:33:53 AM

Uh oh.  I'm not becoming That Guy, am I?    ACK!

Yeah, I know. Just like in getting a nice DLP monitor in 2003   why so serious?

My house is old, with small rooms (which I like), so the monitor still works better for me. I wouldn't get much more than its 65" with a projector, and I'd lose a ton of versatility (putting it in the corner, for instance). I move my furniture around at least three times a year.

Still, after big screen gaming for almost ten years, it's pretty funny to think of gaming hunched over a desk on a little monitor.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1117 on: May 21, 2012, 10:39:48 AM

Uh oh.  I'm not becoming That Guy, am I?    ACK!

Yeah, I know. Just like in getting a nice DLP monitor in 2003   why so serious?

My house is old, with small rooms (which I like), so the monitor still works better for me. I wouldn't get much more than its 65" with a projector, and I'd lose a ton of versatility (putting it in the corner, for instance). I move my furniture around at least three times a year.

Still, after big screen gaming for almost ten years, it's pretty funny to think of gaming hunched over a desk on a little monitor.

Although I've asserted that, were I single, I would only have a projector, the reality is that it's probably something you do in addition to what you already have.  You certainly need a good amount of room for it (though much less than you probably think...these days they can produce big viewing areas at quite a short throw distance).  You probably also need a partner that is more or less cool with it, even when it is relegated to the man cave.  I still will sit in front of my monitor when I want things to be...prettier, because the projector doesn't duplicate color quite as well for games (for movies it's quite good, however).  I prefer Skyrim on the monitor, for example.  For sheer thrills, though, it goes up on the big screen.

I just realized I got the size wrong, too.  Not 300 inches, no idea where that number came from.  I fucking wish.  150 inches max, but in 16x9 mode it is a little less than that.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1118 on: May 21, 2012, 11:31:03 AM

Big screen gaming pre-dates (har) the fiancee, so she knew what she was signing up for. I try not to play explodey stuff too much, she hates the Bounty Hunter in TOR, the combat parts anyway. She's also quick to point out how silly it is to have a 65" monitor powered by 2 gtx 460s (though she doesn't know the tech part of that) to play minecraft.

Can't you calibrate your pc with the projector for better color reproduction?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1119 on: May 21, 2012, 10:30:54 PM

Can't you calibrate your pc with the projector for better color reproduction?

It isn't so much that it is BAD...I mean, if you didn't know any better, you'd look at it and be impressed.  And it certainly looks the business for most things.  It is just that certain games like Skyrim, which (IMO) look amazing in general, just look better on a really good monitor.  The colors contrast a little better or something, and DPI will also come into play somewhat when you are projecting something that large.  I am a bit of a graphics whore, so I usually want those kinds of games on the best possible medium.  In short, it is perfect for everything other than extremely gorgeous PC games (perfect for the more ordinary PC games, 360, PS3, Blu Ray movies, etc.). 

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 96 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  
Jump to: