Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:15:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 96 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  (Read 853839 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #945 on: November 08, 2011, 12:17:17 PM

Can you really separate Windows 7 from their Office suite products, for example? OSX has nothing to even compare it to.
http://www.microsoft.com/mac

(The newest version of Office is the Mac version btw)

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #946 on: November 08, 2011, 01:28:17 PM

...and some fairly esoteric scientific tools that have correlates in the *nix verse, so that's not really saying much.

That's pretty much what I use mine for so I, uh, I got nothing.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #947 on: November 08, 2011, 02:37:22 PM

Can you really separate Windows 7 from their Office suite products, for example? OSX has nothing to even compare it to.
http://www.microsoft.com/mac

(The newest version of Office is the Mac version btw)

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Nice reverse troll there! You nearly had me writing out a full paragraph spluttering on about Microsoft having to code for Apple to keep it in business ;)

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #948 on: November 09, 2011, 12:38:27 AM

I'm trying to talk my gf out of wasting her money on a MacBook. Can anyone recommend a decent quality laptop as an alternative? Has to be aesthetically pleasing.

Possibly look at the 'ultrabook' category that owes most of it's existence to the MacBook Air?  The ASUS Zenbook looks damned sharp and can be had for just under $1000.

If that's too steep, the new Dell Inspiron 14z is very tempting.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #949 on: November 09, 2011, 05:39:49 AM

There's nothing wrong with the laptop, its just the OS that's the problem. I've often considered taking a Mac Book Pro and splashing it with Windows 7, and then I remember the danged mouse pad.

If you mean the one button thing, Macbook trackpads have had right and left click for at least 2 years now. Even before they took the seam off the bottom of the pad where the button is there was a left and a right side click sensor under the single button that would recognize which side you clicked.

Friend of mine has an Air for work and has been running Win7 on it for almost a year with no issues. (He is an exchange admin for the university so running windows makes his life easier).

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #950 on: November 09, 2011, 06:46:55 AM

I love the Apple trackpads, their multitouch is the best I've used by a long shot. Probably my single biggest complaint about the Dell Studio is the archaic side and bottom strips for scrolling.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #951 on: November 09, 2011, 07:16:04 AM

Hmm, my experience with the macbook trackpad while using Windows 7 is not a good one. Perhaps it has a learning curve.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #952 on: November 09, 2011, 08:30:18 AM

Hmm, my experience with the macbook trackpad while using Windows 7 is not a good one. Perhaps it has a learning curve.
the macbook trackpad while using Windows 7 is not a good one.
while using Windows 7
Windows 7
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #953 on: November 09, 2011, 08:36:52 AM

Seriously, you're blaming Windows 7 for the performance of a MacBook trackpad in Windows 7? I hope that's a troll :P

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #954 on: November 09, 2011, 09:41:35 AM

Since it works awesome in OSX. Yes.

You might be able to blame the drivers, but what moron runs Windows 7 on a perfectly good macbook?
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #955 on: November 09, 2011, 10:46:27 AM

Its not a driver problem, its the single mouse button mentality of Job's design. Now, you have context menus in OSX that are extremely useful, but you have to hold down the ctrl key to get them up. In a more modern track pad, you have to put two fingers on the trackpad, and then press the mouse button.

A cut off your nose to spite your face solution if I've ever seen one, its on up there with 'computer games can't tell stories' boondogles of Job's vision. Great in many regards, abysmally shortsighted in others.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #956 on: November 09, 2011, 10:50:03 AM

Its not a driver problem, its the single mouse button mentality of Job's design. Now, you have context menus in OSX that are extremely useful, but you have to hold down the ctrl key to get them up. In a more modern track pad, you have to put two fingers on the trackpad, and then press the mouse button.

A cut off your nose to spite your face solution if I've ever seen one, its on up there with 'computer games can't tell stories' boondogles of Job's vision. Great in many regards, abysmally shortsighted in others.

Two fingers, tap pad, get right-click menu.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #957 on: November 09, 2011, 10:53:55 AM

Yep, as I mentioned above. Maybe its a learning curve, but it doesn't work for me, since the track pad is too sensitive and stuff skips all over the danged place.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #958 on: November 09, 2011, 11:10:16 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #959 on: November 09, 2011, 11:59:14 AM

Yep, as I mentioned above. Maybe its a learning curve, but it doesn't work for me, since the track pad is too sensitive and stuff skips all over the danged place.
You can configure the right click to be the bottom right or bottom left corner of the pad.

The thing that irks me is no middle mouse button. No middle mouse button on a Unix-based OS is swamp poop
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #960 on: November 09, 2011, 01:51:45 PM

Veering way off topic here, but I'm curious what a middle button does for one in a Unix based environment?

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #961 on: November 09, 2011, 02:29:19 PM

Veering way off topic here, but I'm curious what a middle button does for one in a Unix based environment?
Copy and paste highlighted text.

e: actually it depends but it's often copy and paste.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #962 on: November 15, 2011, 01:52:41 PM

It has been 4 years since I upgraded my PC.  I used to not care what I spent but my gaming is less frequent so I am not looking to drop more than $2K.

What are the basic ingredients for a PC game being released in the next 6 months?  I always go with Intel and NVIDIA just because I am lazy.

Is there any reason to push beyond the i5-2500 and the GTX550s?  Should I bother with SLI?  I never have and things have always been fine.  What is the difference betwee the i5-2500 and i5-2500K?  Seems to be a $10 difference on most gaming PC websites.  

RAM will be 8GB.  On HDDs, I want a 128GB SSD and a 500GB standard.  I don't need a lot of storage since my current 150GB HDD is only 70% full, but I am willing to listen to alternative arguments.  The SSD will be for the OS and system stuff only.  My monitors will be a new 27" paired with my current 24".  I don't want to dual screen for games.  I use the second for skype/surfing/etc. while I play.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 01:54:50 PM by shiznitz »

I have never played WoW.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #963 on: November 15, 2011, 01:54:53 PM

The "K" means it's unlocked making it super easy to OC.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #964 on: November 15, 2011, 01:57:05 PM

Ah. Well, if I don't buy it overclocked to start with I won;t be overclocking at all unless OCing has gotten more user friendly.

I have never played WoW.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #965 on: November 15, 2011, 02:14:50 PM

It has.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #966 on: November 15, 2011, 02:15:18 PM

Ah. Well, if I don't buy it overclocked to start with I won;t be overclocking at all unless OCing has gotten more user friendly.

Look at it as that the 'K' is a more robust part.  The better bins of parts are the ones that get sold as over-clockable chips, I would spend the 10 bux even if not considering overclocking potential (which is considerable, actually).

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #967 on: November 15, 2011, 03:07:43 PM

First, a few questions:

Do you plan on installing games on the system SSD, or on the separate drive? I ask because it somewhat defeats the point of having an SSD, since the large data pulls happen with games, not with the system itself. Sure, your browser will pull up a few nanoseconds faster with an SSD system drive, but the difference is felt in those heavy loading Dragon Age/Skyrim levels, for instance, not in anything done as a routine OS level interaction.

Secondly, why not have two monitors while playing games? I don't mean using both monitors to display the game, but having one display the game, the other for other things, such as pandora, or your chat box, or your skyp, etc. I do this, and so far, it works spelendidly.

I think the video card sweetspot is the 560 rather than the 550 (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/15/nvidia-geforce-gtx-550-ti-1gb-review/1) but others should corroborate. I'm using a 5870 in a similar set up, cept its a 2700k and an SSD system/game drive (250GB) and I couldn't be happier.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #968 on: November 15, 2011, 03:33:14 PM

I won;t be overclocking at all unless OCing has gotten more user friendly.
I literally pushed a button on my motherboard and got a 900MHz OC. I could tweak it and go much higher, but eh. 4.2GHz is cool imo.

The 2500K is awesome. Look back over my agonizing over a couple mobos for some infos (actually skimming the last few pages would still be relevant). I'm SLI'ing two GTX460s, just because that's how it worked out. I had to upgrade my gpu last year before I could upgrade the pc, so for $130 I went SLI rather than big single card as I always have done. It works really, really well with games that support SLI, once I loaded the Skyrim profile I was able to max everything at 1080p and get a great framerate.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #969 on: November 15, 2011, 06:23:56 PM

It has been 4 years since I upgraded my PC.  I used to not care what I spent but my gaming is less frequent so I am not looking to drop more than $2K.

What are the basic ingredients for a PC game being released in the next 6 months?  I always go with Intel and NVIDIA just because I am lazy.

Is there any reason to push beyond the i5-2500 and the GTX550s?  Should I bother with SLI?  I never have and things have always been fine.  What is the difference betwee the i5-2500 and i5-2500K?  Seems to be a $10 difference on most gaming PC websites.  

RAM will be 8GB.  On HDDs, I want a 128GB SSD and a 500GB standard.  I don't need a lot of storage since my current 150GB HDD is only 70% full, but I am willing to listen to alternative arguments.  The SSD will be for the OS and system stuff only.  My monitors will be a new 27" paired with my current 24".  I don't want to dual screen for games.  I use the second for skype/surfing/etc. while I play.

$2K will buy a hell of a machine - I don't think you need to spend anywhere near that much:

Good P67 mobo (ASUS P67 PRO or MSI P67 GD-65, alternately ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3).  If you don't mind going micro-ATX, I really like the ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z - $140-170

Core i5 2500K - $215 and the locked base 2500 is only $5 cheaper.

A good value CPU heatsink like the Cooler Master Hyper 212/Hyper 212 EVO or the Xigmatek Gaia or Balder - they never top the charts at the crazy overclocker hangouts, but they're cheap, easy to install and offer great performance per dollar and are tons quieter than the stock cooler - $25-45

Any of a number of decent 8 GB DDR3 kits.  I like both G.Skill or Corsair - $45-60

Depending on your preference, either the GTX560ti or HD6950 at the sweet spot, or the GTX570 or HD6970 one step up.  I prefer non-reference coolers that have two or more fans and vent into a case with good airflow. ~$230-250 for the sweet spot cards and $320-350 at the high end.

Figure $100-150 for a PSU and $60-150 for a case and $50-150 or so for accessory crap like optical drive, additional fans, card readers, etc.

Add your HDDs (good luck with finding a mechanical hard drive for anything less than 'why u no use lube?!' prices - the flooding in Thailand has destroyed HDD manufacturing and prices have skyrocketed - the same 1 TB Spinpoint F3 I bought at $60 a couple of months ago is now $160).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 06:35:24 PM by MisterNoisy »

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #970 on: November 17, 2011, 12:33:12 PM

First, a few questions:

Do you plan on installing games on the system SSD, or on the separate drive? I ask because it somewhat defeats the point of having an SSD, since the large data pulls happen with games, not with the system itself. Sure, your browser will pull up a few nanoseconds faster with an SSD system drive, but the difference is felt in those heavy loading Dragon Age/Skyrim levels, for instance, not in anything done as a routine OS level interaction.

Secondly, why not have two monitors while playing games? I don't mean using both monitors to display the game, but having one display the game, the other for other things, such as pandora, or your chat box, or your skyp, etc. I do this, and so far, it works spelendidly.

I think the video card sweetspot is the 560 rather than the 550 (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/15/nvidia-geforce-gtx-550-ti-1gb-review/1) but others should corroborate. I'm using a 5870 in a similar set up, cept its a 2700k and an SSD system/game drive (250GB) and I couldn't be happier.

I didn't really think about putting games on the SSD as opposed to the spinners just due to size, but your argument makes complete sense.  I could use the SSD for games only and leave all the other stuff on the spinners.  That could push me to a bigger SSD, but that's fine. 

Thanks for the link on the vid card. 

On the monitors, I wasn't clear.  I do and plan to continue exactly what you described.

I have never played WoW.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #971 on: November 19, 2011, 11:11:06 PM

Any of a number of decent 8 GB DDR3 kits.  I like both G.Skill or Corsair - $45-60

Holy f--, RAM got cheap. Any idea why?

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #972 on: November 20, 2011, 10:16:09 AM

Holy f--, RAM got cheap. Any idea why?

Oversupply, if you can find a good sale its $35-40(CAD) for 8GB now.

edit: Back to the mac discussion I'm honestly thinking of purchasing a mac book air for a user in our company as a netbook replacement and load Windows 7 on it. The form factor and hardware is enough to excuse the higher price point, take a look at any business class latitude and your in the same range. Downside it's close enough now to wait for the Ivy Bridge refreshes with the better GPU/reduced TDP.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 10:24:25 AM by fuser »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #973 on: November 20, 2011, 12:03:43 PM

So I don't feel like putting a system together myself.  the 50+ hour work weeks combined with after-school activities for the kids mean I say "fuck this" to a lot of tinkering these days. 

However, I know that buying a Dell, HP or (ha) Alienware is a good way to throw some money away on substandard parts and/ or undersized components. Dell w/ power supplies, specifically.  My 6 year old beast here would last me a lot longer if I could upgrade the GPU.. but I'm maxed out on the card it can power with an olda Geforce 9500GT.  Heartbreak

So I'm looking to find someplace that will put a PC together without ripping me off too badly.  I know Ibuypower is pretty lulzworthy on prices but how about Cyberpowerpc?

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPower_X58_Configurator/

This rig will cost me $1982 and gets me a monitor, nice G15 and a Razr mouse, where it costs about $2200 to get something similar from Alienware without a monitor. (and Dell's 8600's don't tell you what their power supply is, which makes me wary.)

Any thoughts? Any suggestions? Anyplace else to look?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #974 on: November 20, 2011, 01:05:10 PM

My wireless router (Netgear WNR854t) seems to have given up the ghost this past week.

I reset it to factory settings, flashed the firmware, and it still only provides service reluctantly and intermittently.

So Im running to BestBuy this evening to get another one. Any solid performers out there these days? Im tired of the old standard of having to cycle the router off and on to get it to work every few hours. It ruins my gaming.
Belkin? Cisco? Stay with Netgear? Who should I be looking at?

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #975 on: November 20, 2011, 03:47:25 PM

Newegg will build systems for you iirc, or if you're near a Fry's, they do an okay job, and have a decent warrantee. I'm making my boss have Fry's do his next system, so they can deal with all the stupid shit he and his kids do to it, instead of me.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #976 on: November 20, 2011, 04:52:55 PM

Don't ever buy a Belkin router. The things are the worst you can buy.

Cisco-Linksys are probably the most consistent quality but any SOHO grade networking equipment is always going to have a high likelihood of failing after a couple of years. If you have one last you 2 years you have probably gotten your money's worth.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #977 on: November 20, 2011, 07:20:52 PM

Don't ever buy a Belkin router. The things are the worst you can buy.

Cisco-Linksys are probably the most consistent quality but any SOHO grade networking equipment is always going to have a high likelihood of failing after a couple of years. If you have one last you 2 years you have probably gotten your money's worth.

Had the last one three years so I guess we got our money out of it.
We ended up buying the Cisco Model E3200 dual band super duper model.

So far so good.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #978 on: November 21, 2011, 01:35:24 PM

Newegg will build systems for you iirc, or if you're near a Fry's, they do an okay job, and have a decent warrantee. I'm making my boss have Fry's do his next system, so they can deal with all the stupid shit he and his kids do to it, instead of me.

No Fry's in the area and I didn't see any links to have Newgg build a system, only prebuilt systems.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #979 on: November 22, 2011, 09:54:16 PM

So I don't feel like putting a system together myself.  the 50+ hour work weeks combined with after-school activities for the kids mean I say "fuck this" to a lot of tinkering these days.  

However, I know that buying a Dell, HP or (ha) Alienware is a good way to throw some money away on substandard parts and/ or undersized components. Dell w/ power supplies, specifically.  My 6 year old beast here would last me a lot longer if I could upgrade the GPU.. but I'm maxed out on the card it can power with an olda Geforce 9500GT.  Heartbreak

So I'm looking to find someplace that will put a PC together without ripping me off too badly.  I know Ibuypower is pretty lulzworthy on prices but how about Cyberpowerpc?

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPower_X58_Configurator/

This rig will cost me $1982 and gets me a monitor, nice G15 and a Razr mouse, where it costs about $2200 to get something similar from Alienware without a monitor. (and Dell's 8600's don't tell you what their power supply is, which makes me wary.)

Any thoughts? Any suggestions? Anyplace else to look?

My brother and I just built a machine from start to finish over the last 2 days (it would have been a single afternoon, but we got a bad mobo that had to be RMA'd with Newegg, who managed to ship a replacement from CA to NC in one day - badass customer service).

Core i5 2500K on a ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z, GTX570, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD + 1TB HDD, nice case/decent PSU/great CPU cooler, and all the ancillary stuff for $1300.

If you're determined to buy a prebuilt from there, at least go with the Z68 option with either a 2500K or 2600K instead of X58.  You'll likely spend a fair bit less for equal performance, and X58 is a dead end - at least with Z68, you can eventually drop an Ivy Bridge proc in later if you want.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 10:25:18 PM by MisterNoisy »

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 96 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The 'Build Me A PC' Thread  
Jump to: