Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:45:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Game recommendations discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game recommendations discussion  (Read 8553 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: December 11, 2009, 01:04:45 PM

For discussions about the Game Recommendations Wiki pages.

Post suggestions, criticisms of existing recommendations, etc. here.
BitWarrior
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 02:07:34 PM

PS3 Recommendations. Based on ORGY POTENTIAL.

Uncharted 2
Killzone 2
God of War Collection
inFamous

PSN recommendations. Based on FENG SHUI CONTROLLER CONFIGURATION.

Trine
Fat Princess
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Flower

Multiplatform Recommendations. Based on BOX COVER ART.

Fallout 3
Dragon Age: Origins
Modern Warfare 2
Assassins Creed 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 08:50:56 AM by BitWarrior »

Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 02:09:40 PM

edit: Oops those are there.  Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 02:11:21 PM by stray »
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 02:49:50 PM

360 recommendations. Based on FUN.

Prototype
Soul Calibur 4
Tekken 6
Beatles: Rock Band
Lego: Rock Band
Guitar Hero 5
Borderlands

PS3 recommendations, also based on FUN.
XMen Origins: Wolverine
MotorStorm
Batman: Arkham Asylum

PC:
Borderlands
Call of Duty 1
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Battlefield 1942
Battlefield 2
Fallout 3 (GOTY?)
Titan Quest
Dawn of War

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Any recommendations for a PS3 head to head fighting game that amateurs can enjoy?  I need something amusing to play with the wife, I'm currently leaning towards a ultimate fighting/wrestling game, but I don't know shit so am open to suggestions.

edit: yes I realize this is a thread asking for wiki suggestions, my suggestion is to find the best casual player head to head fighting game and stick it on the wiki, cause I didn't see one there.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 02:59:19 PM by Salamok »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 02:59:28 PM

Tekken is always the easiest fighting series to get into imo. Tekken 5 is cheap on PSN, Tekken 6 is shiny.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 03:07:05 PM

I second Tekken 5/6. Or even Soul Calibur if you want some slashing and Darth Vader. Or both.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 03:11:37 PM

Go with Soul Caliber, there are no real "moves" at any level lower then taking shit seriously and its much more enjoyable then Tekken.  Also you have a character designer and a single player rpg mode thingy.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 03:21:11 PM

You're going to run into issues with both Tekken and Soul Calibur having a serious bizness following, and anyone who actually knows characters tend to destroy anyone who doesn't.  That said, I have no worthwhile suggestions, since there are people who even did this to Smash Bros.  Your original idea of UFC or wrestling might honestly be the best tack here.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 03:23:12 PM

I just find Tekken never fails to be one of those series that newcomers can get by with some basic moves and button mashing. I'm assuming "newcomer" since he mentioned a wife, maybe some other stragglers.

SC is cool too though. I like many characters from both.

edit: UFC and Wrestling is full of dude characters. Tekken has chicks and pandas.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 03:29:33 PM by stray »
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 04:12:44 PM

Nod, I got the impression he wants something fun to playat home where his wife will have a chance to beat him, rather than going online for srsbzns ranked matches. My wife can button mash in both of those games and beat me trying to pull off moves, with both of us having fun all the way.

Kageh
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 04:48:08 PM

My wife totally destroys me at SC while button mashing Xianghua with me desperatedly trying to pull some sort of counter/escape off. I can honestly tell you this is awesome fun for one of us.
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 04:51:17 PM

Tekken is always the easiest fighting series to get into imo. Tekken 5 is cheap on PSN, Tekken 6 is shiny.

lol

You must be fucking terrible at fighting games. Tekken is an impenetrable wall of bullshit juggles and nonsensical combos. Get out of here with that shit.

Any recommendations for a PS3 head to head fighting game that amateurs can enjoy?

Soul Calibur. Period.

Edit: If you have a PS2 backwards compatible PS3: King of Fighters: Maximum Impact. So not kidding.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 04:53:29 PM by schild »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 04:58:31 PM

What does it have to do with me? I've always had different choices of fighting games, and if non-gamers are sitting around, they have the most fun with Tekken. That's all. If you think we/they are uncool or something for it, I'm not sure why I should give a fuck.
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 05:00:17 PM

they have the most fun with Tekken.

I, quite deadly seriously, do not BELIEVE you.

If you think we/they are uncool or something for it, I'm not sure why I should give a fuck.

You shouldn't but your recommendation obviously isn't based on playing the total breadth of fighters when you recommend the single-most obtuse one available.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 05:06:02 PM

Obtuse? It's easy to play. Tekken rewards button mashing and looks flashy with little effort. That's always good for drunk chicks or kids or housewives. Barring those anime based games like Naruto, it's one of the easier ones to play. My favorite fighter is still VF personally, but I'd never expect anyone to pick it up right away.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 05:07:34 PM

Tekken rewards button mashing and looks flashy with little effort.

What fucking Tekken are you playing?!

Seriously. Are you confused?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 05:12:03 PM

Yes, I'm serious. Tekken 5.

[edit] Really.. I thought it was like.. a common understanding that that game is fairly mindless.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 05:14:42 PM by stray »
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 05:30:28 PM

Don't worry Stray. You're 100% correct about Tekken. Obtuse perhaps if you're trying to master the complexities and intricacies of the game, but we're pretty well established that our objective is that we're mashing buttons and having a laugh. Flashy fun with little effort is on the money. Ditto for Soul Calibur.

Recommending (any) KoF game for a "casual fighting game for my wife to play with me" is lollerskates..

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 05:32:50 PM

BitWarrior - I added "based on FUN" because I wanted to avoid the "it's has to be better on one of the PS3/360 because it can only be on ONE LIST even though the games are identical" bullshit from the last-go-round.

I want to hear more about the games based on ORGY POTENTIAL though. With specific details.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 06:07:02 PM

The only fighting game I've ever been able to pick up easily is Soul Calibur (3), it's probably also the last fighting game I've played.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 09:20:49 PM

I'm with Schild 100% in Tekken there are easy juggles and/or combos to get down (think Cinder in the MK series) and pretty much everything else is not easy at all.  Yes you can just spam but once one person learns one easy character everyone else is fucked.

SC, much like Smash Bros is really anyone's game at everything but the frame data crunching level.  Its hard to even realize how bad you are at the game because it feels quite intuitive.  Tekken isn't like that at all.  If you are doing anything but hitting buttons randomly its frustrating and annoying to play.

Too bad they don't make Powerstone games anymore, that was a fucking deep but simple series.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 01:14:17 AM

Recommending (any) KoF game for a "casual fighting game for my wife to play with me" is lollerskates..

Maximum Impact does not even qualify as a KoF game. It's like KoF for retards. Sure, there's high level play for it like there is anything else, but it's really the easiest goddamn game ever. Powerstone would've been a great choice also.

Obtuse perhaps if you're trying to master the complexities and intricacies of the game, but we're pretty well established that our objective is that we're mashing buttons and having a laugh.

Then almost every game is a better choice than Tekken or VF. Including King of Fighters. Any of the 2D games are good. Hell, even SF4 to a degree. But not VF and definitely not Tekken. The latest VF was the best iteration for droolplay though.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 01:15:48 AM by schild »
BitWarrior
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 12, 2009, 11:09:21 AM

BitWarrior - I added "based on FUN" because I wanted to avoid the "it's has to be better on one of the PS3/360 because it can only be on ONE LIST even though the games are identical" bullshit from the last-go-round.

I want to hear more about the games based on ORGY POTENTIAL though. With specific details.

All in the spirit of jest :)

I see your point though - I'd personally recommend just making a "Multiplatform" section - generally solves that issue.

Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #24 on: December 12, 2009, 03:27:22 PM

Yep. Powerstone would be a top choice, if only Sega would remake it for the PS360. Still gonna disagree on Tekken, but at least we can all agree on Soul Cal.  awesome, for real

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 12, 2009, 03:38:32 PM

For discussions about the Game Recommendations Wiki pages.

Post suggestions, criticisms of existing recommendations, etc. here.

Talking about discussion.    The discussion link on the wiki page is an exercise in crazy ass russian spam.

http://wiki.f13.net/index.php/Talk:Main_Page

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 12, 2009, 05:35:36 PM

Soul Calibur is the correct answer by a longshot. Cool stuff happens with little effort and mashing buttons randomly is a lot more fun in SC than in other games.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 12, 2009, 10:35:56 PM

Do not pick up UFC 2009 for quick pick up and play fun. The game is not easy to enjoy without putting effort into learning some moves.

I'm with schild and Hoax on Tekken. Not a fun game if you don't know any combos.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 13, 2009, 02:37:28 PM

I'm still waiting for a modern Bushido Blade.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #29 on: December 13, 2009, 02:39:33 PM

I'm still waiting for a modern Bushido Blade.

Don't remind me. Heartbreak
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 14, 2009, 04:58:54 PM

Soul Calibur is the correct answer by a longshot. Cool stuff happens with little effort and mashing buttons randomly is a lot more fun in SC than in other games.

The training mode is also particularly good last time I played one.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 14, 2009, 05:25:01 PM

Tekken is the most fun fighter ever, if you dont think so something is wrong with your brain.  Probably a tumor.

I am the .00000001428%
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 14, 2009, 05:25:27 PM

Dawn of Discovery for PC.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 11:41:32 AM

I'm going to add Shadow Complex for 360.  It's immensly fun, especially for $15 (unless you hate side scroll shooters).
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 01:33:18 PM

What about Uncharted and Uncharted 2 for PS3?  While not groundbreaking, they're enjoyable enough and have an interesting story line.  They are good games for when you don't have a ton of time to game. 
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Game recommendations discussion  
Jump to: