Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:57:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Online Voice Synth Service? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Online Voice Synth Service?  (Read 4615 times)
Salamok
Terracotta Army

on: December 05, 2009, 11:41:27 AM

Anyone know if there is a free online web service or download-able freeware that will synthesize speech?  Not looking for a fancy voice emulator type of thing that can mimic, I want something that will take my voice and turn it into a cheesy robot voice and kick that back to me in a wav or mp3.  Prefer something with a few options to tweak the result.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 11:47:35 AM by Salamok »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 05:44:41 PM

Synthesizing speech is different than you talking into a mic and having some audio recording software filter your voice and transform it it something different (like what you hear when people call in random demands on TV). The first one is typically a Text to Speech system and now days that's built into Windows and Mac OS X. The second type is something like this:

http://www.screamingbee.com/product/MorphVOX.aspx
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 09:20:43 PM

Synthesizing speech is different than you talking into a mic and having some audio recording software filter your voice and transform it it something different (like what you hear when people call in random demands on TV). The first one is typically a Text to Speech system and now days that's built into Windows and Mac OS X. The second type is something like this:

http://www.screamingbee.com/product/MorphVOX.aspx

Tried the software you linked and the free version is pretty limited (almost like here let us play your voice back at one of 3 faster rates), this is for a one off freebie project so it isn't worth purchasing.  I also tried AV Voice Changer as it has a 14 day free trial which is perfect for a short project like mine.  The software has more of a mixing board layout where I can tweak the effects to achieve the result I am looking for, unfortunately it won't install on w7 64 bit.  I did get it to install on the XP mode VM but it wasn't picking up the microphone (maybe it wasn't defaulting to the USB mic I have), guess I'll mess with it more tomorrow.

Text to speech conversion is worthless for what I am going for as I need something that lets me have decent control over inflection and nuance.

Kind of surprised that there isn't some mixing/sound board type of web page that does this, actually there probably is I just haven't found it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 10:46:32 PM

Kind of surprised that there isn't some mixing/sound board type of web page that does this, actually there probably is I just haven't found it.

Actually, you'll have to keep looking harder (possibly using some magic or at least a small portion of the black arts). Pretty sure one of the keyboard manufacturers (like Korg or M-Audio) made a limited one, but really, I have a friend who attempted to make one but it was a f'ing mess due to the lack of sound architecture on servers and such. Really, you should just buy some software or get someone with it to just help out.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 11:21:34 PM

No it's not surprising at all. The demand for this sort of thing is low and the command line open source audio synthesis tools are difficult for non-programmers and non-music types to use (they generally require programming skills on top of understand computer music synthesis theory).

If you feel up to the challenge take a look at something like ChucK. SonicVox on the iPhone, which can change your voice into Darth Vader's or others, uses that technology for example.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 02:31:46 AM

Is this something he could do by recording the file and then fucking with it in Audacity?

EDIT: It is.  Echo filter, short duration, high decay.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 02:50:04 AM by Sheepherder »
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 10:05:48 AM

Download voices on the iphone for 99 cents.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 07:21:53 PM

Download voices on the iphone for 99 cents.

This would require an iPhone and that would screw up the "thank god it is almost over" period of my AT&T contract.

Is this something he could do by recording the file and then fucking with it in Audacity?

EDIT: It is.  Echo filter, short duration, high decay.
Installing now.

No it's not surprising at all. The demand for this sort of thing is low and the command line open source audio synthesis tools are difficult for non-programmers and non-music types to use (they generally require programming skills on top of understand computer music synthesis theory).

If you feel up to the challenge take a look at something like ChucK. SonicVox on the iPhone, which can change your voice into Darth Vader's or others, uses that technology for example.
I was thinking there might be a flash based web solution out there, which takes the server requirements out of the picture.  I'd agree that serious demand is probably low but I can possibly see some sort of frivolous flash in the pan fad type of demand (like the iPhone app) being a possibility.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Online Voice Synth Service?  
Jump to: