Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:53:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Looking for a home 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking for a home  (Read 36664 times)
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #70 on: January 04, 2010, 08:04:24 PM

There were people 'are-peeing' in the alliance chat last night. I'm ascared to go in again.

damn.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #71 on: January 04, 2010, 10:36:58 PM

Don't worry, Ched, I'm sure you will catch them online again.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: January 08, 2010, 09:15:27 AM

That's the level I was at when I quit for the first time. Swimming across that goddamned lake over and over and over burned me out completely.

The game has potential and I can handle it in small doses but I just haven't got the patience for grinding anymore and the forced grouping is absolutely unacceptable in a modern game.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: January 08, 2010, 09:19:18 AM

I'm still clearing out north downs, doing periodic skirmishes, and checking on old deeds.  Still, I feel like I spend 15 minutes running for every 2 minutes hunting.  It's making me sad.  I really want to love this game, but it's becoming more of a horseback riding simulation. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: January 08, 2010, 10:17:25 AM

Well I just hit 43 and it's still closely resembling a horse riding simulation. I actually get about half my xp now from doing skirmishes. I move from one hub to the next, do the easy stuff, don't bother with any group stuff (insert trademarked numtini LFF whine here) and if I get fed up with it I just don't play for a while.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: January 08, 2010, 10:18:55 AM

Well I just hit 43 and it's still closely resembling a horse riding simulation. I actually get about half my xp now from doing skirmishes. I move from one hub to the next, do the easy stuff, don't bother with any group stuff (insert trademarked numtini LFF whine here) and if I get fed up with it I just don't play for a while.

Ugh.  I find I'm logging on for 30 mins or so and leaving.  It's pretty similar to my last few days of CoH.  May be time to give it a rest for a month or so.  I can't see playing like this until 50.   

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: January 08, 2010, 10:25:03 AM

That sounds a great deal like me quitting the first few times. At 35, have you been to Evendim and Trollshaws? There's a lot of different quest hubs. There's still a lot of travelling, but at least it makes you feel a bit like it's worthwhile.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #77 on: January 08, 2010, 10:54:05 AM

Cheddar and I both got Captains up to 30 in the last few days, so there will at least be people on to point you toward new quest areas of knock out a few group quests
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: January 08, 2010, 11:16:32 AM

That sounds a great deal like me quitting the first few times. At 35, have you been to Evendim and Trollshaws? There's a lot of different quest hubs. There's still a lot of travelling, but at least it makes you feel a bit like it's worthwhile.

I'll check it out.  I have to admit that as a warden I like to stay near places that I can teleport.  Travel food is nice!

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: January 08, 2010, 11:28:58 AM

A good deal of the "swift travel" (This includes hunter skills, warden skills, horse stables, and other abilities) is able to be unlocked by level, deed, quest lines, or reputation. IIRCC everyone will eventually have the option to gain reputation and gain a port to the factions homeland (Change VIA Revamps).

There are quite a bit of them out there, if you choose to gain them. To put it all in perspective however, at one point and time, only hunters could port, swift travel stables were only for the starting areas, there was no boat in Evedom, and no one got a horse at 20 (even a slow one). So, technically while I can understand your pain, this is an area they have been improving on, especially as they keep adding landmass.

I also have a 35 (?) lore master, and at this point I think issa has quite a few alts in that range.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #80 on: January 08, 2010, 11:42:41 AM

You have to reach out and explore.  I just hit 31 (rolled my captain a week ago) and have yet to stop questing/fighting etc.  Only running around I have really done is the Shire "run around quests" = but that was because I like doing them.

I went something like Shire -> Bree Downs -> Buckland -> Upper Part of Bree Downs -> West Lone Lands -> The Big Bridge City -> Eastern Lone Lands -> The Hub East of Mincham -> Esteldin + surrounding cities.

I skipped the pain in the ass quests (almost anything flagged as group) and have had almost no rest XP.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: January 08, 2010, 12:20:41 PM

Don't forget you can boost rest xp via destiny points.  It's not really worth doing until the 20s though, since you'll burn through it retardedly fast early on.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #82 on: January 08, 2010, 12:23:55 PM

It helps knowing where the clustered quests are, and which ones are just a pain. Any quests in North Downs that point at Dol Dinen, Fornost, or Nan Walthren? Not worth the time/effort. Also knowing which quests are doable early for lots of extra quest xp helps.

And gear, ask for gear in kinchat every few levels, it makes a world of difference sadly.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: January 08, 2010, 12:26:40 PM

Is there a map of quest hubs anywhere? I've yet to find one. I burned out and quit twice while I was in the trollshaws/Evendim level range and this time around I found an entire quest hub I hadn't known about.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: January 08, 2010, 12:28:13 PM

I just hit 31 (rolled my captain a week ago) and have yet to stop questing/fighting etc. 

Damn.  It took me a month to get to 35 playing a couple of hours a night.  Apparently there's a trick to moving through quest lines more efficiently than I'm doing.  Is there any kind of a decent quest guide? 

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: January 08, 2010, 12:29:07 PM

I just hit 31 (rolled my captain a week ago) and have yet to stop questing/fighting etc.  

Damn.  It took me a month to get to 35 playing a couple of hours a night.  Apparently there's a trick to moving through quest lines more efficiently than I'm doing.  Is there any kind of a decent quest guide?  

They have done it a few times.

Old, but potentially useful.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:41:00 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: January 08, 2010, 12:51:41 PM

Have a link to more like that?  I would have loved that before heading to that area.

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: January 08, 2010, 12:55:05 PM

Have a link to more like that?  I would have loved that before heading to that area.

I found a leveling guide that is less images, but seems to go from 1 - 60 (not sure if it contains revamps, but you are passed that now anyway).

However, I always read your posts as if you feel some urgency to get to endgame, don't do that, makes me sad.

There is also this puppy, that may perhaps be sensory overload :)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:59:06 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: January 08, 2010, 01:10:24 PM

However, I always read your posts as if you feel some urgency to get to endgame, don't do that, makes me sad.

Not really urgency.  I want to see some of the group content.  The only way to do that with fun people is to be at the same level as those in the guild... which seems to be in the 60-65 range. 

Thanks for the info!

-  Mark Twain
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #89 on: January 08, 2010, 02:20:16 PM

Damn.  It took me a month to get to 35 playing a couple of hours a night.  Apparently there's a trick to moving through quest lines more efficiently than I'm doing.  Is there any kind of a decent quest guide? 

Basically I roll into a hub and grab all the quests, then knock them all out.  Usually they are cluster so as to invade the same place for 2-3 quests.  Skirmishes are pretty damn fun and very good XP as well; there are a lot of awesome rewards you can get yourself by trading in marks.  Also - at 45 you can go to Moria, and it is the bomb.  Its almost like a completely new game from then on.

Also, get gear at 21, 31 and around 41 from the kin.  They will usually make you maxxed shit and it will last a good 10 levels and blow away any quest stuff you would have otherwise.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #90 on: January 08, 2010, 02:56:12 PM

IE 64 bit isnt letting me edit my last post, so just doing a new one.

Anyhow, here is an example of how I do it.  I just hit 31.  Since the rest of the North Downs quests are lots of running to accomplish 1 goal I decided to move on to the next area.  My options are pretty much Troll Shaws or Evendim.  I decided on Evendim (there is a questline that gets a nifty title and pipe near it).  Now, I know I will have to run to the 2 hubs there; I use the quick travel from Esteldin to hit West Bree, then quick travel to Michael Delving.  From there I rode up to Brokenborings via the Hobbiton hub, and ran up towards Oatbarton.  I snagged the 2 quests (since I know I will be in that area to do the Evendim ones anyhow) and head north along the Eastern path.  Once at the Ranger island I snag the 15 or so quests, turn a couple invitation ones in (3k xp 4tw), and am now about to swing over to the second hub to grab the rest.

Next plan will be to catch a ride back towards Oatbarton; I can jump off the mount and hit up the sand dunes to knock out 5 or so of the quests then turn in the couple I snagged from Oatbarton.  From there I will probably head northeast to the Evil Human castle place and do those quests, then depending on how much loot I accumulate will either hit the town to sell or head northish to do the few there before heading to town to gain oddles of XP and plot my next action.

Most likely I will turn in the initial quests then travel out to the Trollshaws to pretty much do the same thing.  Once done I should be 35+ and can get the fast mount.

edit.  Pro-tip: one of the quest turn ins is on the way to the second hub, another free 4k xp!

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 03:02:41 PM by Cheddar »

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #91 on: January 10, 2010, 03:28:03 PM

I will re-emphasize the thing about getting all of the available quests at a hub when you first get there.  Even if you have to cancel some old ones from a different area.  Nothing wastes more time than getting a quest to kill thirteen goblins, turning it in and then seeing some other guy wants you to kill thirteen wargs... which are also in the goblin area.  The revamps are strengthening this, actually, but it is still important to look around and get as many on your list at once as possible.  Also, there is usually one quest in there that leads you to the next (or another) hub.  The cross-quests between Ost Guruth and Trestlebridge are a good example; fortunately they teleport you, and if you are bound the right way it is easy XP.

Being familiar with the area helps tremendously, also, but of course you have to learn the area first.

Being in a hurry will ruin this game for you, at least in the low end.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #92 on: January 10, 2010, 04:23:04 PM

Thanks to my OCD Skirmish fetish I am actually going to hit 35 before hitting Trollshaws.  So, plan B is to get my fast mount.  Rattran is kind enough to make me armor (I hooked him up with the crit components) so will be ahead of the curve gear wise.  Then its off to Rivendell to finish the easy quests for uber XP, then back to the first Trollshaw hub to begin those. 

Afterward its off to Angmar (I love this area) and from there who knows.  I will probably do the Moria quest just so I can get the relic items then go back out to wrap up some areas until 50'ish. 

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: January 11, 2010, 09:04:03 AM

I think nebu has abandoned us.  cry

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: January 11, 2010, 10:39:49 AM

I think nebu has abandoned us.  cry

I'm still playing, just not as much.  I really love the game for its immersion and worldly feel.  Some nights I just want something more game-like and WoW fills that need, particularly with the pvp side.

Don't write me off yet!

-  Mark Twain
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #95 on: January 11, 2010, 11:24:44 AM

Nebu has been on more than that Grimst guy, he seems to have fallen off the Earth (and landed on a new console controller I suppose)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: January 11, 2010, 11:34:14 AM

Nebu has been on more than that Grimst guy, he seems to have fallen off the Earth (and landed on a new console controller I suppose)

Freelance work, mostly.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #97 on: January 11, 2010, 12:00:01 PM

Indeed, some of us have jobs. awesome, for real

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: January 11, 2010, 12:04:57 PM

Shortly before x-mass I step in and help my friend with the reproductions, as well as my own freelance work, and of course...work work.

Another reason the lifetime sub was a good idea for me  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm still playing, just not as much.  I really love the game for its immersion and worldly feel.  Some nights I just want something more game-like and WoW fills that need, particularly with the pvp side.

Don't write me off yet!

Oh, I feel yah! That's why I have been checking out some allods.

Total monthly cost of two concurrent MMO's = Nothing.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:08:28 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: January 11, 2010, 12:23:41 PM

So... I went to get my fast mount at 35 last night and the horsemaster guy is sending me on all these stupid long rides.  Are these necessary for the upgrade or can I just skip the quests? 

-  Mark Twain
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #100 on: January 11, 2010, 12:32:59 PM

sadly they are all necessary.  Hopefully you have all the stables unlocked.

Route and quests:
Farm->Bree
Bree->Farm
Farm->MD
MD->Farm
Farm->Othrikar (north of Estledin)
Othrikar->Farm
Farm obstacle course (rage at this point)

For the obstacle course, when you get it, turn AROUND (SOUTH).  You need to run through the arches starting from the SOUTH gate.  Also, you need to jump at least 1 or 2 of the fences.  Don't bother with the last stone one since you can't make it.  And yes you have to do this for your alts as well....
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #101 on: January 11, 2010, 05:49:35 PM

Why, in my day, we had to bind ourselves in West Bree and walk to Hengstacer, uphill both ways!  And we liked it!

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #102 on: January 11, 2010, 05:56:20 PM

Why, in my day, we had to bind ourselves in West Bree and walk to Hengstacer, uphill both ways!  And we liked it!

I hated that shit and did flips when I found the new farm route last week.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #103 on: January 12, 2010, 12:45:43 PM

Oh and Minstrels are fun up to around lvl 40.  Then the suck begins.  Come to think of it I think 40 is the magic number where LOTRO goes from enchanting life in Middle Earth to knuckle down and grind MMO.

What happens at 40?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: January 12, 2010, 12:54:27 PM

I felt like around 42 or so things opened up a lot actually. The 30-somethings I felt were the introduction to not as good zones. But 39-42 or so, maybe there's a zone hiding somewhere, but I felt like I was scrambling to find enough do-able quests. More likely it's the gap left by not being able to do group zones.

But at 45 I feel like I'm cruising, I can kill easily, I have 2 feign deaths as an "oh shit" button, I have a flock of white quests in Forochel. Things are pretty good.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Looking for a home  
Jump to: