Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:07:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: New Winter mini-event 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Winter mini-event  (Read 8280 times)
Glazius
Terracotta Army

on: December 01, 2009, 11:19:25 PM

Looks like they're starting to get the hang of this "zone quest" thing.

So here's the complete rundown, or should I say history lesson:

First there were the Winter Lords, giant monsters that spawned all over the place which were mostly used by newbies as a kind of XP pinata due to the large amounts of players willing to fight them and the sizable bounty for taking out a giant monster.

Then there were glowie presents scattered about. Clicking them had a chance to give you a gift (inspiration, snowball temp, snowbeast summon) or spawn some snow monsters for you to fight.

Then there was this thing where you went into a cargo ship/Arachnos base to steal/steal back presents. You got a jetpack, which was cool, but the missions were kinda uninspired. It hasn't come back.

Then there was A BRAND NEW SKI CHALET! Hanging in Pocket D with slippery slopes perfect for skiing on, the ski chalet also sported Father Time, who would send you to fight Tuatha, Red Caps, and snowbeasts in a winter Croatoa to save Baby New Year. You could pick four rewards for mission complete.

Then the ski course was timed and medal badges were awarded if you made it through the course fast enough, and the presents dropped candy cane salvage which you could trade at the ski chalet for badges and perks from previous years.

Then they added a new ski course, and an option for the Baby New Year mission to get candy canes as a reward, in addition to adding buyable invention recipes for "winter's gift" universal travel enhancers.

And this year...

Well, the presents from past years could sometimes spawn a Winter Lord giant monster on big enough teams. Now that's tied into a new mechanic. If enough people in the zone open presents, not necessarily on a big team, a Winter Lord will spawn in. When he drops, a silvery white present shows up on the minimap, with a couple minutes' countdown timer - anybody near the present during that countdown can click it when it expires to be transported to a selection of snow-covered Croatoa maps, full of snowbeasts, to fight the original Winter Lord on his home turf. (Everybody in the zone goes to the same map.)

At 75%, 50%, and 25% health he shields himself and a giant monster guardian spawns in, which needs to be chipped down before he'll take damage again. Dropping him dishes out candy canes and "reward merits", which are a new universal reward mechanic they added a while back that you can trade in for recipes or inspirations or other things that I never actually bother to do. (Also the Baby New Year mission and I believe the presents don't drop candy anymore, but it is a possible drop from the snowbeasts.) Also, you can trade in candy canes for a keen emote that lets you toss snowflakes everywhere.

Or a respec, but who needs that?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 11:41:13 PM

Wait, candy canes can get you a respec? What kind (in terms of stacking) respec is it?
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 09:09:22 AM

Wait, candy canes can get you a respec? What kind (in terms of stacking) respec is it?

It's like 500 of them for 1, and apparently you can't buy it if you have any outstanding free respecs.

I've got like 5 on all my characters for veterancy and patch changes and I don't have much of an urge to dick around, so that's about all I can say.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 07:13:36 PM

I hope the 'new' ski chalet is back, since I missed last year's ski slope badges.

Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 07:06:40 AM

I hope the 'new' ski chalet is back, since I missed last year's ski slope badges.

Yep, the bobsled run is up and waiting.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 11:22:01 AM

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: New Winter mini-event  
Jump to: