Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:22:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Mirkwood Patch Notes 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mirkwood Patch Notes  (Read 16486 times)
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

on: November 30, 2009, 03:36:27 PM

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 04:19:14 PM

My favorite so far:

• You can no longer get so drunk that you hallucinate catching fish.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 04:39:59 PM

• Added an option (under “Chat”) callled “Stop repeated keys in chat” - this is off by default. If turned on, then if a player has thier chat bar open and holds down any character key (like w) - then after about 20 repeats of this key in under a second (implying that you really wanted to be running or something) the chat window will delete the repeated keys from your chat box and close the chat box.
  • Soup recipes can now be purchased from Novice and Expert Cook vendors and will no longer be found in treasure.

Win.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 04:46:29 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 04:42:45 PM

• Added an option (under “Chat”) callled “Stop repeated keys in chat” - this is off by default. If turned on, then if a player has thier chat bar open and holds down any character key (like w) - then after about 20 repeats of this key in under a second (implying that you really wanted to be running or something) the chat window will delete the repeated keys from your chat box and close the chat box.
Win.

O M F G finally! EQ2 did this a few years ago and whenever I play anything else, it drives me crazy. (Particularly because I'm chatty as anything.)

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 01:00:45 PM

Ooh.  I'm excited about the Lone Lands overhaul.  Weathertop soloable?  Elite Trolls made signature, along with the spiders?  Western Agaumar soloable?  I can stop waiting an hour for bored assclowns to help me finish up a quest line?  Sign me up.  Might run some alts through there just on principle.

Edit:
Adso's Camp and Hengstacer Farm now have Stable Masters

It's the little things that make me happy.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 01:14:56 PM by sidereal »

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 01:38:28 PM

Yes, too bad I just finished Adso's quests. Ohhhhh, I see.

- Lone-lands: The quest Weavers Beneath the Ruins now longer calls for you to organize a fellowship. Go stab the spiders on your own.

Nice.

- The quest in that place that requires the thingy drop from the whatchamacallit has been adjusted for clarity.

Extra nice.

- Bree-land: In the Great Barrow quest "Collecting History", all players in the fellowship will now be able to collect the ancient chalices in the dungeon at once, without having to fight over spawns.

Hey, I'll do this one now. Ohhhhh, I see.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 01:42:38 PM

Thorny's work site has a vender now too.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 01:44:09 PM

Win.

O M F G finally! EQ2 did this a few years ago and whenever I play anything else, it drives me crazy. (Particularly because I'm chatty as anything.)

Lose. They screwed it up. It takes you out of chat. But you sit there not moving until you release and re-press the key.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 01:46:49 PM

Just have Yegolev complain, his complaints are almost always corrected.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 11:04:48 PM

Nicest unexpected discovery so far?

Khuzdul Tablets and Infused Shards now have higher stack limits. Inventory recovery: GO!

- Henry Cobb
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 10:25:43 AM

My performance seems slightly snappier.  Also, I approve of the updated water.  Nen Harn and Everclear lakes look great.

The combat change is practically unnoticeable on a RK. Ohhhhh, I see.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 11:05:40 AM

I don't see any difference at all on a minstrel, but I didn't expect I would.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 11:31:53 AM

My performance seems slightly snappier. 

This for sure. My work computer has greatly improved performance. The combat changes are much less noticeable on my Hunter, but I did see some differences today.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 11:33:10 AM

I don't see/feel any change on my Lore-Master either.

- Henry Cobb
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 11:54:27 AM

I had to look for it.  Primarily it is as advertised: certain things interrupt other things, notably my instants go off instantly even if I'm autoing something in the face with a runestone.  Previously, waiting for a cooldown meant that an autoattack could sneak in but now it doesn't matter since skills go off as soon as I hit the button... provided there isn't already a skill animating, of course.

I have been killing grey orcs near Nen Harn, so I don't know much about how my instants now interact with my other skills, such as the inductions and what-is-it-called-when-something-is-sustained.  I figure I will learn all about it this weekend if my wife and I get to play on Sunday.

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 12:54:20 PM

Didn't notice any difference as a Warden, except spear attacks are slightly faster, which was appreciated.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 01:16:56 PM

Oddly, I'm getting what feels like lag (and a massive frame rate drop) whenever I kill a humanoid now. Just for about 3 seconds, but the frame rate goes to about 3fps, with the fps meter still showing my normal 60+

Very odd, and can't find any settings that account for it.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 02:32:36 PM

Disk latency from loading death sounds/animations?  Defrag?

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 04:20:10 PM

Fast disk, 0% fragmentation. And it's only in the final, didn't do it in beta. Weird, but I'm sure just screwing with every graphic setting will either fix it, or make it worse.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 08:17:07 AM

Didn't notice any difference as a Warden, except spear attacks are slightly faster, which was appreciated.

Don't forget to select the new combat options that show optional combat animations and the one that blends animations, this gives you the cosmetic/visual feel of it being faster, which it is by the way.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 12:16:13 PM

Deleting my preferences seems to have fixed it.

Best thing about Mirkwood, lots of money and reasonably fast leveling. 60-62 took a couple hours, and netted me 2.5gold. Worst thing, k10rats quests. And there's a lot of them. Kill 16 crows with a low spawn rate, in a small area. With 12 other groups all doing the same thing.  swamp poop
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 09:32:25 AM

Nice unexpected discovery #2:

The NPCs who play instruments now play actual melodies, not obnoxious noodling.

See; guitarist in the Forsaken Inn, flutist at the new gazebo in Bree Homesteads.

- Henry Cobb
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 05, 2009, 05:05:33 AM

I'm killing orcs in Mirkwood and not a single drop yet of the 10 items I need to unlock skirmish mode.  Any ideas?
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #23 on: December 05, 2009, 08:08:28 AM

I got my orders/list in Lothlorien, dunno if they drop in mirkwood, but I'd think they should. The drop rate was pretty low, maybe 1 in 5.
Lianka
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 05, 2009, 01:34:52 PM

As a guardian, it feels *vastly* different.  I was taking on entire camps of orcs in the beginning of Lothlorien (to get the war orders) and it didn't take 5 minutes to kill the first one!  /flex
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 10:22:13 AM

I'm killing orcs in Mirkwood and not a single drop yet of the 10 items I need to unlock skirmish mode.  Any ideas?

I got mine pretty quickly from the men-and-trolls area in Trollshaws.  Could be you are fighting non-recruited orcs?

Had to drop Gondamon solo down to lv40 from 43 in order to finish it, and I still managed to lose right at the end because I didn't realize where the boss was coming from.  Third time, though, I got it with only one death.  Ended up having to pay out 150+ silver for repairs, but I got some SM and a FM, will do better next time.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 10:56:28 AM

I hit 30 in Esteldin, ran out to the camp, ran out into the field, and had my drops in 10 minutes or so. If they're not dropping fast my guess is those mobs don't drop them.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 08, 2009, 03:48:00 PM

I went back to Moria and got my 10 quickly.  Don't know why I had no luck in Mirkwood.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 09, 2009, 12:09:20 PM

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 10, 2009, 10:59:55 AM

Damn, I was hoping they would reenable the disabled quest in the landing part of Mirkwood. My wife refuses to finish it because she'll miss the deed due to the disabled quest.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 10, 2009, 12:39:59 PM

They are reactivating it, but as they rationalize it, they're not actually fixing anything, so it doesn't belong in the patch notes.

- Henry Cobb
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #31 on: December 17, 2009, 09:00:58 PM

Just as an update, Vol2Book9 is soloable from start to finish. There are a bunch of skirmishes toward the end that are gated by level (65). The storyline is somewhat  swamp poop with bits of  ACK! and  awesome, for real

And then there are 12 'Book9 epilogue' missions that seem to mostly be to wrap up the story, and add some Fellow/Small Fellow instances. Overall fun, and makes me want to go back and do all the books I've skipped.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #32 on: December 17, 2009, 09:19:53 PM

yeah great stuff -- Book 9 was terrific (even chp 16? with the barrels).  I love the skirmish design and implementation.  Having epic books with Skirmishes solves so many problems.  And frankly, it will enable so many things with the War of the Ring down the road. 
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #33 on: January 02, 2010, 12:34:53 PM

Question about Mirkwood:  Are skirmishes tied to the expansion? 

I want to play again, but I think I need to do a character transfer ($25), an expansion purchase ($20) and a subscription ($30/3months).  At minimum it will be $60 for just a single month and all the stuff.  Seems like a lot to come back to play.  I suppose I don't need the transfer, but was hoping to bring my guardian over to the F13 fellowship.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #34 on: January 02, 2010, 01:24:17 PM

When it launched, Mirkwood was free if you had a multi-month subscription.  I'm not sure if that's still the case.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Mirkwood Patch Notes  
Jump to: