Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:25:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Internet Dating: Everyone's still shallow 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Internet Dating: Everyone's still shallow  (Read 407397 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #840 on: January 20, 2011, 05:08:34 AM

The one gripe I have with those dating services is that you cannot specify anything about sexual preferences. For me at least this is another aspect where you should kind of be on the same page.

Err.. are you talking kinks or just normal stuff like Bi, Gay, Straight?  That's what the "man looking for X" question is all about.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #841 on: January 20, 2011, 05:16:08 AM

Jeff, would you mind expounding a bit more about your gripe?

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #842 on: January 20, 2011, 08:13:39 AM

The option to select "seeking both genders" seems to be a rare thing for the most popular dating sites, but many at least now let you specify "same gender" (did eHarmony ever cave on that?).

While OKCupid is a bit better about it with "available" (poly/open relationship) and GLB descriptors, last I checked they were behind on the TQ part of the spectrum.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #843 on: January 20, 2011, 10:13:08 AM

eHarmony never did, no.
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #844 on: January 20, 2011, 10:54:54 AM

I used Match.com and met my SO on it.

According to match.com, you are still looking!

why so serious?

Shhhhh dont tell my wife!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #845 on: January 20, 2011, 11:42:12 AM

I was talking about kinks, actually. Most of the sites that exclusively deal with bringing people with certain kinks together are really creepy and even if they keep the creepiness level down they are mostly dealing with the sex part.

Initially this got me thinking that it would be nice if I could just add that to my profile on a normal dating site to give those matching algorithms the option to check if people are on the same page there.

Then I realized that you cannot add anything beyond 'i like boys/girls' to a profile. Yet even people who are more vanilla probably have different preferences, likes and dislikes and at least in my opinion sexual compatibility is important in a relationship so I wondered why it isn't dealt with.

How can you claim to match people to each other when you ignore such an integral part of relationships? That's really the only gripe I have with dating sites.

On the other hand how can you deal with something like that without becoming some sort of adult friend finder? I suppose that's why it isn't already done.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #846 on: January 20, 2011, 11:51:04 AM

Mainstream is where the volumes are in online dating.  I think it is just simple economics. 

I have never played WoW.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #847 on: January 20, 2011, 11:52:57 AM

You deal with it the same way OKCupid does.  A series of tests that are optional and give you little stickers indicating such when you're matched with someone.  "So and so is a little less kinky than you are" or "So and so would think you're the definition of vanilla in bed."   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Of course, I see a business opportunity here.

Mainstream is where the volumes are in online dating.  I think it is just simple economics. 

Depends on the mainstream you're going for.  Them youngin's are exposed to all the shit the Boomers, us and older genY have slapped up on the internet.  To say they're kinkier than we are is probably a massive understatement.  Coincidentally they're also the largest segment of single folks.

Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #848 on: January 20, 2011, 01:52:32 PM

I was talking about kinks, actually. Most of the sites that exclusively deal with bringing people with certain kinks together are really creepy and even if they keep the creepiness level down they are mostly dealing with the sex part.

Yeah, they can be pretty creepy.

Aside from Merusk's suggestion, if kink is a must-have in a relationship, looking into local groups can be a better way to approach the issue - especially if you live in or near a large metropolitan area.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #849 on: February 02, 2011, 02:01:23 PM

Match.com buys Okcupid for 50 million.

Well, that sucks.  Okcupid was by far the best of the free ones.  The Oktrends article on how pay-dating sites are a scam is already gone.
schild
Administrator

Reply #850 on: February 02, 2011, 02:04:22 PM

Well then. That's over.

The people who founded OKCupid should be ashamed.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #851 on: February 02, 2011, 02:21:20 PM

They can wash the same away in their money baths.   For all their bluster about how much better they were than pay sites, in the end it's always about getting paid.

Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #852 on: February 02, 2011, 02:22:25 PM

"We are excited to join forces with Match because it is clear that no company is more committed to helping people find relationships," said Sam Yagan, co-founder and CEO of OkCupid.  "This marriage offers us the best of both worlds: the autonomy to continue pursuing OkCupid's original vision and the ability to leverage Match's reach and expertise to grow even faster."

$50 million buys you autonomy?   Head scratch

Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #853 on: February 02, 2011, 06:09:27 PM

Well then. That's over.

No its just means a niche opened in the online dating market and some one else can make money buckets.
schild
Administrator

Reply #854 on: February 02, 2011, 08:45:38 PM

Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #855 on: February 02, 2011, 09:00:11 PM

In that editorial the author tries to take revenue amounts and use them to deduce subscriber numbers. He MUST be an MMORPG player!
 Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #856 on: February 03, 2011, 08:04:45 AM

Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #857 on: February 03, 2011, 09:39:27 AM

Plentyoffish

Not quite as pretty or robust as OKCupid, but it just worked for me.  In fact, given this is probably plain luck, I had more success on it.

AKA Gyoza
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #858 on: February 04, 2011, 01:52:14 PM

Well then. That's over.

Good luck in business with that attitude.  Ashamed?  Good for them.

I have never played WoW.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #859 on: February 04, 2011, 02:02:57 PM

They got their payoff, now they can go play, or start another business, or whatever.  They 'proved' the business model to the point someone had to pay them off, they don't have some kind of Holy Mission to keep going until Match.com finds some other way to crush them.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #860 on: February 04, 2011, 02:41:52 PM

They got their payoff, now they can go play, or start another business, or whatever.  They 'proved' the business model to the point someone had to pay them off, they don't have some kind of Holy Mission to keep going until Match.com finds some other way to crush them.

--Dave

Depends on how big you like to think I guess. My motive would have been to crush Match with a superior product and have easy cashflow for the rest of my life.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #861 on: February 04, 2011, 02:46:52 PM

Netflix and RedBox between them crushed Blockbuster.  But in the 90's, both of them went *to* Blockbuster, desperate to get their resources and access.  If Blockbuster had been willing to pony up the cash to compete with them in the new business model (destroying their own old one), all your pay-per-view and subscription content TV would be Blockbuster by now.

Business is a game, you keep score with cash and there's always grounds to walk away a winner, rather than roll the dice again.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #862 on: February 05, 2011, 06:40:47 AM

Sure there is. I don't blame anyone for selling out. Most people that do are petty and insecure people who have never had any shot at real success, yet.

It depends on what motivates you as a business person. If it's just the money to get to a point where you can stop, then that's a great time to leave.

Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #863 on: February 05, 2011, 09:22:32 AM

I don't blame anyone for selling out. Most people that do are petty and insecure people who have never had any shot at real success, yet.

swamp poop ACK!

Was that supposed to be in green?

Energy Brands dba Glaceau, the maker of Vitamin Water, was started just 14 years ago by a guy in NY going through divorce and bankruptcy.
It sold to Coca Cola in 2007 for $4.2 BILLION in cash.

I dont know about you, but thats just smart business and given he went from bankruptcy to company with annual revenues of $350 million a year in just over a decade seems he was pretty successful to me.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #864 on: February 05, 2011, 09:32:11 AM

swamp poop ACK!
Green? No, I think you misinterpreted the "most people" Paelos referred to.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #865 on: February 05, 2011, 11:21:31 AM

I could see the how it was missed. Not the best language effort on my part.

Most people that blame others for selling out are...

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #866 on: February 08, 2011, 03:29:33 PM

Very fun new article on OKCupid using statistics to figure out what people are likely to think.

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/the-best-questions-for-first-dates/

Also contains the awesome line "The basic currency of the Internet is human ignorance, and, frankly, our database holds a strong cash position!"
schild
Administrator

Reply #867 on: February 08, 2011, 08:47:45 PM

I'm not shocked statistics have revealed religious conservatives are subliterate, ignorant retards.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #868 on: February 09, 2011, 07:31:44 AM

Sooooo.  Do you guys like beer? DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #869 on: February 09, 2011, 08:21:28 AM

These articles are always fascinating; I'm surprised that these guys haven't written a book yet about everything.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #870 on: February 09, 2011, 10:36:21 AM

I'm not shocked statistics have revealed religious conservatives are subliterate, ignorant retards.

They perfer life sample, k?

schild
Administrator

Reply #871 on: February 09, 2011, 11:45:02 PM

They perfer life sample, k?
Ow.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #872 on: February 10, 2011, 11:53:16 AM

These articles are always fascinating; I'm surprised that these guys haven't written a book yet about everything.

They might have but they just got $50MM.

I have never played WoW.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #873 on: April 08, 2011, 07:56:09 AM

I'm just going to put this here. I really have no words.

http://www.whatsyourprice.com/
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #874 on: April 08, 2011, 08:17:30 AM

Hmm. How is this not flat out prostitution?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 42 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Internet Dating: Everyone's still shallow  
Jump to: