Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:26:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Internet Dating: Everyone's still shallow 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Internet Dating: Everyone's still shallow  (Read 407507 times)
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #665 on: March 28, 2010, 02:12:38 AM

When I was young, saying you were an MIT grad/engineer would have got you the opposite of laid.  (whatever that is)

Married, I believe is the term.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #666 on: March 28, 2010, 02:59:26 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #667 on: March 28, 2010, 07:41:26 AM

'Twas mutual, and a second date is in the works.  I am cautiously hopeful.   awesome, for real

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #668 on: March 28, 2010, 08:10:39 AM

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #669 on: March 28, 2010, 11:40:14 AM

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

"Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live." - Mark Twain

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #670 on: April 21, 2010, 02:52:25 PM

New blog at Okcupid.  It's an interesting piece on how the pay-dating sites are almost entirely a rip-off.  The stats are less than rock-solid but there's some good info in there.

I joined Okcupid myself in mid-January.  Sent out maybe 15-20 messages over 2 months or so, had a pretty good response rate (above 50%) and even got a fair number of unsolicited messages, but then I did have a pretty awesome profile  awesome, for real  Anyway, I've been happily seeing someone I met there (and never would have met without the site) for about a month and a half now.  If anyone is borderline about the whole thing... just give it a try.  You've really got nothing to lose with the free sites.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #671 on: April 22, 2010, 09:34:34 AM

Had suspected that the odds were bad on the name-brand sites, but not THAT bad.  Hard to refute numbers directly from the horse's mouth.

OKCupid's matching system seems to want me to move to Austin or something, heh.   awesome, for real

schild
Administrator

Reply #672 on: April 24, 2010, 07:28:31 AM

OKCupid's matching system seems to want me to move to Austin or something, heh. 

Where do you live now?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #673 on: April 26, 2010, 09:08:38 AM

OKCupid is awesome.  I met my fiancee there.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #674 on: April 26, 2010, 10:40:04 AM

OKBitter is the website where Divorce lawyers hang out.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #675 on: April 26, 2010, 11:07:31 AM

OKCupid's matching system seems to want me to move to Austin or something, heh. 

Where do you live now?

"Planet Hooston."

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #676 on: April 26, 2010, 12:51:59 PM

Depending on which part of the city you're in then, it might be a shorter drive to meet someone in Austin. Grin

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #677 on: April 26, 2010, 01:09:18 PM

Depending on which part of the city you're in then, it might be a shorter drive to meet someone in Austin. Grin

No doubt, given Houston's size...  Galveston and Austin are equal in terms of distance for me.

That said, Austinites don't seem to like to come down here...  Guess our music scene scares them or something.  Grin

schild
Administrator

Reply #678 on: April 26, 2010, 02:08:05 PM

Definitely the music.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #679 on: April 26, 2010, 02:21:29 PM

We have a music scene?

Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #680 on: April 26, 2010, 03:52:09 PM

Precisely.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #681 on: April 26, 2010, 04:41:05 PM

I'm a vegetarian, atheist democrat living in the deep south.  Most of my first dates are disasters.  
You should share for our enjoyment. Grin

Could make a website: Red State Date

I would read it.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #682 on: April 26, 2010, 04:58:45 PM

Could make a website: Red State Date
I would read it.

This idea...it smells of money and win.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #683 on: April 28, 2010, 08:43:15 AM

I grew up in Dallas, and if you ever mentioned anything to anyone about going to Houston it was cause for ridicule.

There's a close race between Houston and El Paso to be the armpit of Texas. I haven't made my pick, yet I'm leaning towards Houston because of the horrid heat/humidity situation.

Srsly, Houston blows.  awesome, for real
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #684 on: April 28, 2010, 09:01:05 AM

The funny thing is we think the same of Dallas.  It's where hicks go to pretend to be cultured. Grin

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #685 on: April 28, 2010, 03:09:32 PM

Hey, I won't argue that. I only visit Dallas these days, and every time I do I leave amazed at how snooty the whole place is.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #686 on: April 28, 2010, 03:19:29 PM

There's a close race between Houston and El Paso to be the armpit of Texas. I haven't made my pick, yet I'm leaning towards Houston because of the horrid heat/humidity situation.
As much as I hate Houston and have to regularly visit it now due to my ex having moved there, I will give El Paso the nod.  Because it's way the fuck out in the middle of nowhere and like 7 hours from the nearest "big" city.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #687 on: May 28, 2010, 11:11:09 AM

...for those of you who've had success with OKCupid, what age range are you in?  Wondering if my close proximity to 40 skews things a bit.

Had two people write me on there so far, both seem pretty interesting.  #1 stopped writing or signing on after about 10 days, #2 wrote me once and hasn't replied since but still signs on.  Contact frequency about the same as pay sites, but the follow-through is abysmal by comparison.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #688 on: May 28, 2010, 02:02:19 PM

You've been blown off by #2. Evidently she didn't like something in your response.  Next time don't tell her about your level 80 Paladin until AFTER the sex date.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #689 on: May 28, 2010, 02:44:40 PM

You've been blown off by #2. Evidently she didn't like something in your response.  Next time don't tell her about your level 80 Paladin until AFTER the sex date.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Blown off?  You think?   awesome, for real  Gotta stop making conversation about shared interests...

I've been of a mindset the last couple of years that someone similar to myself (ie - same rare personality type) would likely be my best fit.  However, after seeing how self-centered, needy, and erratic most others of that type are...  I'm beginning to doubt that theory.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #690 on: May 28, 2010, 02:52:03 PM

Yeah, before that point stick strictly to the rogue and warlock.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #691 on: May 28, 2010, 04:12:06 PM

Nobody likes Pallys.

AKA Gyoza
Strazos

Reply #692 on: May 28, 2010, 07:11:26 PM

Buddy met his current girlfriend on there, he's mid-20s.

However, I've only met her in passing once, so I can't give any judgment. However, she's Korean, if that means anything.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #693 on: May 28, 2010, 07:56:51 PM

...for those of you who've had success with OKCupid, what age range are you in?  Wondering if my close proximity to 40 skews things a bit.
Had two people write me on there so far, both seem pretty interesting.  #1 stopped writing or signing on after about 10 days, #2 wrote me once and hasn't replied since but still signs on.  Contact frequency about the same as pay sites, but the follow-through is abysmal by comparison.

Okcupid definitely tends towards the 20-something crowd.  And just like in real life, in order to be successful at dating, you can't get too attached to any particular profile or person.  If a person doesn't write back, you've got to shrug your shoulders and move on.

Also, 10 days is a long time to be messaging someone - I usually asked if they want to meet (in a casual setting!) after 2 or 3 good messages.  You are looking for dates, not friends, after all.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #694 on: May 28, 2010, 11:04:11 PM

Buddy met his current girlfriend on there, he's mid-20s.

However, I've only met her in passing once, so I can't give any judgment. However, she's Korean, if that means anything.

She has her own paladin?  why so serious?

Strazos

Reply #695 on: May 29, 2010, 06:05:49 AM

No idea; the one time a bunch of us were hanging out, instead of going out for dinner on her birthday or something, she just sat there and played pokemon...

Also, the few Korean women I've met have all been a bit crazy to varying degrees.

Fear the Backstab!
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #696 on: May 29, 2010, 07:16:26 AM

Also, 10 days is a long time to be messaging someone - I usually asked if they want to meet (in a casual setting!) after 2 or 3 good messages.  You are looking for dates, not friends, after all.

Long distance tends to skew timelines, I find.  That said, I couldn't imagine dating someone I couldn't be friends with...

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #697 on: May 29, 2010, 08:22:13 AM

Also, all the few Korean women I've met have all been a bit crazy to varying degrees.

FIFY

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #698 on: May 29, 2010, 09:00:12 AM

That said, I couldn't imagine dating someone I couldn't be friends with...

You need to repeat this over and over for the majority of men out there. 

Guys tend to get so sucked in by their physical attraction that they forget this very thing.  When I was younger, there was a direct correlation between hotness and amount of crazy I was willing to tolerate.  Though I have to admit that some of the best sex I've ever had was with women I couldn't stand being around longer than a couple of hours. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #699 on: May 29, 2010, 09:19:55 AM

My reply was entirely tongue-in-cheek Min. You need to get laid an unwind some.  Maybe try a dating site?  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Also, since it doesn't fit nicely in Funny Pictures, Hot Chicks or this thread.. I choose this thread for this:

Anywho, tried any of the geek dating sites? Seems to me only poor young kids use the free ones, and only 'normal' people who look down on gaming would frequent the more traditional pay sites.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 42 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Internet Dating: Everyone's still shallow  
Jump to: