Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:54:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Internet Dating: Everyone's still shallow 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Internet Dating: Everyone's still shallow  (Read 407437 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #490 on: January 14, 2010, 11:57:14 AM

:brickface:
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #491 on: January 14, 2010, 01:37:25 PM

Have you made that an official emote yet?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #492 on: January 14, 2010, 01:46:56 PM

:brickface:

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #493 on: January 14, 2010, 01:48:25 PM

I nominate  Gamecube  iPOD Nintendo Controller Eek! be removed to make way for this clearly superior and more frequently used emote.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #494 on: January 14, 2010, 02:08:08 PM

That one is kind of big. I added an alternate version that's smaller:

Argh!
schild
Administrator

Reply #495 on: January 14, 2010, 02:31:46 PM

I've fixed the big brickface then.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #496 on: January 14, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Any chance of  or ?  They'd be a lot more use than some of the emoticons up there that I've never actually seen outside a specifically emote-based post.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #497 on: January 14, 2010, 02:45:02 PM

I nominate all riceball emoticons

I've tried hooking up with a psyche student occasionally. That's about my the extent of my "expertise". Oh, and I did time in rehab. I came to like Jungians over Freudians (bastards!).
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #498 on: January 14, 2010, 09:23:38 PM

I still think this one needs to be available here.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: January 22, 2010, 11:57:26 AM

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/2010/01/20/the-4-big-myths-of-profile-pictures/

People might be shallow, but it looks like you might be ok with an animal or if you are interesting.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #500 on: January 22, 2010, 12:08:22 PM

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/2010/01/20/the-4-big-myths-of-profile-pictures/

People might be shallow, but it looks like you might be ok with an animal or if you are interesting.

That was a fascinating read.  Yay statistics!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #501 on: January 26, 2010, 10:22:30 PM

OK thread, I need an etiquette lesson.

I posted once above, about a recent relationship break-up. I wrote "bring on the internet dating". I'd never tried online dating before, but there was nothing to lose.

It, erm, worked OK. In 12 days, I got 74 messages. Of those, I ended up exchanging emails with eight women (edit - and so far, four gave me their phone numbers). From those, I've got three actual dates in the next week.

All of a sudden, I've gone from loneliness to juggling conversations with many women, stalling five. I'm at the same pre-date stage several times over. That wouldn't have happened naturally -- it happened because I'm new on an internet system. It feels a bit sneaky.

At what point am I being an asshole? Am I now shallow? Is being a three-timing (eight-timing) virtual Tiger Woods cool with internet dating etiquette until I'm actually in a relationship again? Spare me your fantasies about what I should be trying to do with eight interested women. On second thoughts, I'll go fantasize about that some more.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 11:11:46 PM by Tale »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #502 on: January 26, 2010, 10:33:09 PM

At what point am I being an asshole? Am I now shallow? Is being a three-timing (eight-timing) virtual Tiger Woods cool with internet dating etiquette until I'm actually in a relationship again? Spare me your fantasies about what I should be trying to do with eight interested women. On second thoughts, I'll go fantasize about that some more.

Not yet.  Maybe?  Yes.

If it helps, think of these dates as being like job interviews.  Or maybe even practice job interviews.  Either way, you're not signing any contracts yet.

schild
Administrator

Reply #503 on: January 26, 2010, 10:36:20 PM

You're never being an asshole in online dating. Period.
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #504 on: January 26, 2010, 10:56:20 PM

Not yet.  Maybe?  Yes.

If it helps, think of these dates as being like job interviews.  Or maybe even practice job interviews.  Either way, you're not signing any contracts yet.
Yes, but...Are they refusing to date people who play WoW?

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #505 on: January 26, 2010, 11:06:58 PM

I hope so.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #506 on: January 26, 2010, 11:26:03 PM

At what point am I being an asshole? Am I now shallow? Is being a three-timing (eight-timing) virtual Tiger Woods cool with internet dating etiquette until I'm actually in a relationship again?

As stated, you're going through the interview process right now. When/if you start a relationship* with one of them, then you call the others off. BTW, You're shallow regardless of this internet dating thing.  why so serious?

*use your own honest definition of a relationship. A one-night stand isn't a relationship, but regular dinner and make-out sessions might well be.

Also, from my limited knowledge, you're hitting the ball out fo the park with that kind of message ratio. My understanding of these sites is that guys send 1.4 million messages out, getting a reply rate of approximately 0.0000001%. Are you on eharmony.com? I'm seeing their TV ads doing heavy rotation all over the place for the last month, and they seem much more "female friendly" with all the "relationship" and "compatability" talk on their ads.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #507 on: January 26, 2010, 11:38:45 PM

Also, from my limited knowledge, you're hitting the ball out fo the park with that kind of message ratio. My understanding of these sites is that guys send 1.4 million messages out, getting a reply rate of approximately 0.0000001%. Are you on eharmony.com? I'm seeing their TV ads doing heavy rotation all over the place for the last month, and they seem much more "female friendly" with all the "relationship" and "compatability" talk on their ads.

EHarmony is what it sounds like to me.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #508 on: January 27, 2010, 03:43:33 AM

EHarmony is what it sounds like to me.

That's not it. But I think being a professional writer helps with online presentation. Most of the time it's been women initiating the contact.

Now I sound like an asshole.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #509 on: January 27, 2010, 05:37:41 AM

It feels a bit sneaky.

Have you lied to anyone?  And if so, why?

They are all there to date.  You are there to date.  Great you got a few interested responses.  Go see what they are like, if one wants to know why you can see her sooner.  Tell her you have dates with three other people you met on the site and maybe you can go get coffee next week.

It's only sneaky assholeness if you make it that way.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #510 on: January 27, 2010, 06:14:26 AM

I don't think you're being an asshole.  I think it's awesome.  I hope it turns into something nice.  Or you could just build up your black book and date a lot.  I never saw anything wrong with people doing that.  I know plenty of people who go from relationship to relationship and it never works  and it makes them depressed most of the time.  I wonder if they should really be going from date to date.  They're always happy when it first starts out.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #511 on: January 27, 2010, 06:43:42 AM

Interestingly enough, I've read more negative reviews about eHarmony than any other dating site, and most of it is that the quiz they give is complete shit and doesn't cover a lot of things that are mentioned even in this thread as being important in a relationship (like if you want to do a long distance relationship and if you want kids or not).  Between that and watching a geek friend (about 24 years old) of mine go on there, find some random girl from boonfuck Iowa and watch her isolate him from all of his best friends and end up marrying her after 6 months (mind you this was his first relationship period) I would never go to eHarmony.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #512 on: January 27, 2010, 06:46:02 AM

Between that and watching a geek friend (about 24 years old) of mine go on there, find some random girl from boonfuck Iowa and watch her isolate him from all of his best friends and end up marrying her after 6 months (mind you this was his first relationship period) I would never go to eHarmony.

You say that like the guy had no control over his own actions.  Sounds to me like the guy chose to isolate himself. 

Tale:  I don't see how you're doing anything wrong.  These women are all probably talking to 50 other guys as well.  Just enjoy the conversations and take your time.  If it works, great.  If not, you've met a few new and interesting people. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #513 on: January 27, 2010, 06:58:26 AM

Most of the time it's been women initiating the contact.

Really?  Are you a chubby chaser?  I'm not being snarky, but in the few years that I've done the whole internet dating thing, I've only gotten a handfull of messages from women, and they're generally fatties.  I think I've gotten one, MAYBE 2 emails from cute girls in ~3 years.

Fake edit: I'm 24, in school, tall, thin, well written, and not ugly.  IIRC you're in your 30s, and maybe the game changes?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #514 on: January 27, 2010, 07:40:00 AM

Hot young chicks in their early 20s don't need online dating sites.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: January 27, 2010, 08:16:59 AM

IIRC you're in your 30s, and maybe the game changes?

More like if they girls you are chasing are over 30 the game changes.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #516 on: January 27, 2010, 11:49:53 AM

(oops edited this post instead of quoting it - lost it)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 06:23:11 AM by Tale »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #517 on: January 27, 2010, 11:53:19 AM

Oh we need updates and photos please.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #518 on: January 27, 2010, 12:02:16 PM

Set up a Twitter so we can follow how the dates are going awesome, for real

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #519 on: January 27, 2010, 12:14:01 PM

You guys are going to ruin his chances with all of them!

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #520 on: January 27, 2010, 12:15:12 PM

Set up a Twitter so we can follow how the dates are going awesome, for real

lol
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #521 on: January 27, 2010, 12:23:40 PM

You should get a phone with live audio and video stream, so we can be like your goblins in the mirror.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #522 on: January 27, 2010, 12:25:34 PM

It will inevitably happen that a woman with whom you thought you clicked on a date will suddenly ignore all your emails and messages for no apparent reason.  This is normal. Just ignore her and move on.  There are motives other than finding an actual boyfriend/girlfriend behind using dating sites.

I have never played WoW.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #523 on: January 27, 2010, 12:39:41 PM

Like what?

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #524 on: January 27, 2010, 12:42:59 PM

- sex
- free meal/drinks/entertainment
- making someone else jealous
- random socializing

None of these require more than one meeting.

I have never played WoW.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 42 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Internet Dating: Everyone's still shallow  
Jump to: