Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:22:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Internet Dating: Everyone's still shallow 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Internet Dating: Everyone's still shallow  (Read 409278 times)
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: January 07, 2010, 11:17:01 AM

Edit:
And Schild isn't quite right: that version of love is, in the original text, agape: unconditional, self-sacrificing, considered (as opposed to necessarily instinctive) love, as in the love of a parent for a child, or (for example), what we might call the "tender" love of one person for another.  Not eros or philos, but not exclusive of them, either . The chapter it comes from is a Paul speaking in Platonic terms (as in "in the terms of Plato", not "sexless"), borrowing Plato's philosophy, language and ideas about the real and the perceived that most people know from the cave story.  He's specifically not just talking about "I love Jesus" (a couple of sentences on he says "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.")
I appreciate you furthering my point of how easy it is to love.

Don't be snide.  I didn't disagree with you on that.  I thought you were spot-on about the confusion that people were making between love and relationships.  Your definition of "love" was kinda lazy and over-broad in extending to the colloquial.  The usefulness of discussing "I love you" or "I love your hair" in a thread about "relationship-love" are very different, after all.  And you've been on the internet long enough to know that discussions where someone is leaning on the OED are very often just about nit-picking.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
schild
Administrator

Reply #176 on: January 07, 2010, 11:20:08 AM

I wasn't actually being snide.

Edit: And relationships are relationships, love is love. Throwing the two together is a recipe of theoretical bullshit and I wanted to separate the two. And yes, leaning on the dictionary is often about nit-picking, but in this case I wanted people to stop using that shit as synonyms because they fucking aren't.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: January 07, 2010, 11:21:16 AM

When Schild says he loves the internet I'm assuming he means it in the sense that he really, really likes it and wants it to stay around.

No, when Schild says he loves the internet, he loves it the same way my Mom does me or my stepdad. I really, really fucking love it. I would not be able to function very well without it. I'd find myself constantly bored and longing for the days of the internet.

Aside from what it gives you why do you love the internet? I can understand saying you love it the same way you love money or a library (it's useful, providing you with entertainment and access to stuff) but are those the same reasons your mom loves you? If you stopped talking to her would she still care about you? Along those same lines if you lost all net access would you keep tabs on it and care about the latest technology upgrade or net fad? It just seems unlikely you really do love it the same way, or at least really weird to love a thing in the same way you love a thing. Now I'll admit you can love a thing as much as a person but they seem to involve fundamentally different sorts of ways of loving something (for instance people who love their cars versus people who Love their cars and get to star in shitty documentaries on freaks)

fakeedit: Wholly crap this thread is moving quickly.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #178 on: January 07, 2010, 11:23:40 AM

fakeedit: Wholly crap this thread

Freudian slip?   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #179 on: January 07, 2010, 11:24:45 AM

If you stopped talking to her would she still care about you?

Yes, and if the internet stopped talking to me, I'd still care about it.

We can wax poetic about love all we want, but really, love is love - it's easy and it can be applied to almost anything and we got dangerously close, in this thread, to making love out to be this untouchable thing that's some complication of the heart and mind when it really isn't. "Relationship-Love" as Endie said it a few posts up isn't love. It's a relationship. Love can lead to such a thing, but it doesn't intertwine the two words if you want to apply any logic to it whatsoever. They aren't mutually exclusive, nor are they necessary for the other to exist.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: January 07, 2010, 11:30:24 AM

I believe that an old-fashioned term is a companion-marriage.

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
schild
Administrator

Reply #181 on: January 07, 2010, 11:31:07 AM

Here is Danzig doing Scream from Famous Monsters back in 1991 or so. Yea, Famous Monsters was written back then and not released til Graves did the vocals. Anyway, enjoy.

Scream.

I like the Graves stuff more.

Edit: By mistake wrote Doyle instead of Danzig.

Edit: Turns out this is an early, early cut with Graves channeling Danzig before doing his own thing for Famous Monsters. /shrug, this album is all over the map, not surprised Danzig and Only refused its release.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 11:41:24 AM by schild »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #182 on: January 07, 2010, 11:43:26 AM

Still better than any shit I could write, whoever it is.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
schild
Administrator

Reply #183 on: January 07, 2010, 11:44:19 AM

I would like to say that this album, Cuts from the Crypt, should've been released.

I love it. Even if the vocals are performed by 4 different people and there's no logical progression.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: January 07, 2010, 11:49:33 AM

Did you just start a mixed tape to give to the internet?  Did that just happen?

Also, I didn't really expect this thread to deliver.  But did it ever.

AKA Gyoza
schild
Administrator

Reply #185 on: January 07, 2010, 11:53:11 AM

No, Cuts from the Crypt is an unreleased album of demos and early cuts of various stuff spanning the entire history of The Misfits.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #186 on: January 07, 2010, 11:56:57 AM

It would be nice to go out on a successful date with a beautiful woman that leads to something passionate and brief.

Be careful what you wish for. Late last year, I went on an incredibly successful date with an impossibly beautiful and intelligent woman I'd known for a year, that led to something intense, passionate, lasting only a few weeks. She was angry at the world and before I knew it, this came to include me, leaving me broken and alone. Bring on the internet dating.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: January 07, 2010, 12:02:57 PM

My wife and I had a "relationship at first sight" deal. It was rather awkward since she was dating my best friend at the time.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #188 on: January 07, 2010, 12:04:35 PM

It would be nice to go out on a successful date with a beautiful woman that leads to something passionate and brief.

Be careful what you wish for. Late last year, I went on an incredibly successful date with an impossibly beautiful and intelligent woman I'd known for a year, that led to something intense, passionate, lasting only a few weeks. She was angry at the world and before I knew it, this came to include me, leaving me broken and alone. Bring on the internet dating.

Seriously.. What a fucked up thing to wish for. I guess he needs to try it himself though.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: January 07, 2010, 12:07:29 PM

I don't believe love can happen to me because I can't see how anyone would be interested in me.

I had one really serious relationship. I met her on the internet, in a muse. We hit it off immediately, and I fell in love with this person in text almost immediately. But it was a very long distance relationship. Eventually we met up and Yeah it was great. But the thing is, when we were together she never told me she loved me (except once when she was drunk). She insisted we were friends that were having sex. When we were apart she said she loved me all the time... until we met again and this look came into her face and she insisted we were really friends again. Eventually she told me she could not see me again as she had to give herself totally to her Uni career and had no time for a relationship. 2 weeks later she was happily shaked up with another guy who she married.

So I learned from that that people can love me on the internet, like the clever way I use words and other things. But not the real me, not the person you would meet in the flesh. Nothing in the following 12 years has changed that conclusion.

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #190 on: January 07, 2010, 12:08:48 PM

Emo Poetry Jam, featuring Sir T.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #191 on: January 07, 2010, 12:09:53 PM

On the brightside, he bagged her. Obviously he had something going on in "real life", not just the internet.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: January 07, 2010, 12:10:50 PM

Everyone else is contributing to this thread.

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #193 on: January 07, 2010, 12:14:43 PM

Everyone else is contributing to this thread.

So, why can't you? Is that what you wanted to ask?
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: January 07, 2010, 12:16:52 PM

So I learned from that that people can love me on the internet, like the clever way I use words and other things. But not the real me, not the person you would meet in the flesh. Nothing in the following 12 years has changed that conclusion.

As a part-Greek Neo-Platonist I'm going to have to say that the "real" you isn't the bag of meat and bones that you define it to be.

Of course, that doesn't mean that you should send high-angle, high-contrast myspace pictures of yourself to girls because "the physical me doesn't matter in this context."  Some people still live in the cage.

Twitter - Endieposts

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: January 07, 2010, 12:19:50 PM

Also boo-yah you fucked dat bitch, homes.

Twitter - Endieposts

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #196 on: January 07, 2010, 12:23:58 PM

Not sure if you're being facetious Endie, but I'm serious. How could he go 12 years thinking he only has qualities "from a distance", when the fact is, he had some kind of physical relationship. Something worked at least.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: January 07, 2010, 12:32:55 PM

Not sure if you're being facetious Endie, but I'm serious. How could he go 12 years thinking he only has qualities "from a distance", when the fact is, he had some kind of physical relationship. Something worked at least.

I was being very serious in a light-hearted manner.  I was saying just what you were.

Twitter - Endieposts

Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: January 07, 2010, 12:57:59 PM

I don't believe love can happen to me because I can't see how anyone would be interested in me.

I had one really serious relationship. I met her on the internet, in a muse. We hit it off immediately, and I fell in love with this person in text almost immediately. But it was a very long distance relationship. Eventually we met up and Yeah it was great. But the thing is, when we were together she never told me she loved me (except once when she was drunk). She insisted we were friends that were having sex. When we were apart she said she loved me all the time... until we met again and this look came into her face and she insisted we were really friends again. Eventually she told me she could not see me again as she had to give herself totally to her Uni career and had no time for a relationship. 2 weeks later she was happily shaked up with another guy who she married.

I'd say your lack of self-esteem has more to do with the following 12 years than anything. Confidence is attractive.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #199 on: January 07, 2010, 01:10:34 PM

Yeah, "No one will ever love me because something is wrong with me," is often a self-fulfilling thing. Also, long long long distance relationships are hard as hell, especially if you are not in a place where you can/want to move closer. Just 'cause the relationship ended doesn't mean there was anything wrong with you or what you were like in real life. The fact she saw you in meatspace more than once indicates that pretty strongly to me.

God Save the Horn Players
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: January 07, 2010, 01:12:30 PM

I guess i'm just jaded

Hic sunt dracones.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: January 07, 2010, 01:12:34 PM

I pretty much gave up on relationships when my ex-fiance broke up with me after I had to move back home to take care of my ailing grandfather.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: January 07, 2010, 01:13:30 PM

Self-fulfilling is true. But breaking the cycle is just as hard as a long distance relationship.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #203 on: January 07, 2010, 01:14:42 PM

I was being very serious in a light-hearted manner.  I was saying just what you were.

Gotcha

I'm tired of giving advice, but umm.. I suggest watching Rocky. Maybe Rocky 2. If those don't work, then the Rocky Dennis movie just to really drive it home that shit isn't so bad. 12 years is too long bro.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #204 on: January 07, 2010, 01:50:24 PM

I don't understand the Rocky bits.   ACK!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #205 on: January 07, 2010, 01:51:39 PM

Better to be a sadistic champ than a masochistic wimp.

[edit] Granted, a sadistic champ with a very homely girlfriend.. But hey. He's happy
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #206 on: January 07, 2010, 02:38:17 PM

Self-fulfilling is true. But breaking the cycle is just as hard as a long distance relationship.

Yeah, I figure that, given how many people get stuck in it. I don't really blame people for being jaded, I'm pretty sure if Ingmar and I ended poorly I would be devestated for a long time.

God Save the Horn Players
schild
Administrator

Reply #207 on: January 07, 2010, 02:59:03 PM

I guess i'm just jaded
Jaded implies you've had so much of something that you're worn out by it.

Like diku muds.

You aren't jaded, you're intensely inexperienced in reciprocal relationships. I'd err more on the side of "You hate that part of yourself, intensely."
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: January 07, 2010, 03:27:27 PM

A couple of these guys just need to realize that the reason they're failing at relationships is that they don't really like other people.  Talk about a deal-breaker.  Once they come to terms with that they'll stop trying so hard to be like everyone else (sheep who let their brain chemistry ruin their lives by tricking them into a 'relationship').  Also, this isn't meant to be funny.  You don't have to like other people.  I don't.  The instant I realized that, I became much more happy.  I also started getting along much better with others, ironically.

AKA Gyoza
schild
Administrator

Reply #209 on: January 07, 2010, 03:29:18 PM

You don't have to like other people.  I don't.  The instant I realized that, I became much more happy.

This.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 42 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Internet Dating: Everyone's still shallow  
Jump to: