Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:03:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Internet Dating: Everyone's still shallow 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Internet Dating: Everyone's still shallow  (Read 407401 times)
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

on: November 25, 2009, 03:45:12 PM

I'm pretty sure someone posted another okcupid blog a while back but I couldn't find it with search, so:

Your Looks and Your Inbox

It's a writeup about the differences between how men and women rate each other online (at least on okcupid), and who they actually send messages to.   Nothing groundbreaking, but I thought it was interesting how men seemed to be less judgemental on overall looks while still (mostly) only sending messages to the highest rated women, while women rated most men's looks as below average but still sent them messages anyway.

The comments range from well thought out to deeply, deeply bitter. Heartbreak
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 05:02:17 PM

I find these statistics, thought mostly useless, oddly compelling.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 08:11:26 PM

Saw something similar to this, although it was done from outside the service so they didn't have as much data, it involved photoshopping the pics to either reduce or enhance asymmetry, the more symmetric versions got ridiculously higher response rates than the un-shopped pictures, which did significantly better than the ones where the assymetry was slightly enhanced.

So, now you know: When setting up online profiles, it's not about lighting, filters, or pictures taken 15 years ago.  Just move your facial features around until your face is symmetrical and matches the Golden Ratio, and you're good.  Best part is that your victims won't be able to explain why you don't quite look like your photo, if they even notice (if they look at it enough before actually seeing your real face, they may mentally filter out the discrepancies, especially if the first few face-to-face meetings involve poor lighting).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 06:11:43 AM

Black passports work too, or so I am told.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 09:43:45 PM

I met the woman I love on OKCupid.  Not sure how that correlates to this thread though.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 11:07:14 AM

Saw something similar to this, although it was done from outside the service so they didn't have as much data, it involved photoshopping the pics to either reduce or enhance asymmetry, the more symmetric versions got ridiculously higher response rates than the un-shopped pictures, which did significantly better than the ones where the assymetry was slightly enhanced.

So, now you know: When setting up online profiles, it's not about lighting, filters, or pictures taken 15 years ago.  Just move your facial features around until your face is symmetrical and matches the Golden Ratio, and you're good.  Best part is that your victims won't be able to explain why you don't quite look like your photo, if they even notice (if they look at it enough before actually seeing your real face, they may mentally filter out the discrepancies, especially if the first few face-to-face meetings involve poor lighting).

--Dave

As I recall the most attractive faces were the ones that closest approximated symmetry without actually reaching it. Truly symmetrical faces fall into uncanny valley.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 11:21:18 AM

I love the replies. Apparently everybody rates people on personality, and everybody else is shallow for implying otherwise. Awesome!

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 11:58:30 AM

I rate people on looks, I admit.. But then I filter personalities afterwards. ;) I figure that's the norm, but I'll just speak for myself.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 12:24:52 PM

Hah, political correct mating my ass.
As a leftist youth I left the ideals of a consumption crazed society behind me and shagged many a fine mind.
I mounted the quivering heap, I braved bushes Bear Grylls wouldn't survive and I lived through encounters with amorphic beings who's expressions contorted into shapes only described in the realm of bad science fiction.
I lived it, survived it and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Shag a hottie. And if you can't, for the love of god, just have a wank.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 12:59:52 PM

That's quite the beautiful tribute to ugly chicks.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 04:35:27 PM

As I recall the most attractive faces were the ones that closest approximated symmetry without actually reaching it. Truly symmetrical faces fall into uncanny valley.
Which is why "Beauty Mark" moles were such a critical piece of the sex appeal of Marilyn Monroe, Liz Taylor, Cindy Crawford, and Halle Berry: It gave their otherwise mathematically perfect faces that hint of asymmetry that suggested they were actually attainable.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 10:25:46 PM

Which is why "Beauty Mark" moles were such a critical piece of the sex appeal of Marilyn Monroe, Liz Taylor, Cindy Crawford, and Halle Berry: It gave their otherwise mathematically perfect faces that hint of asymmetry that suggested they were actually attainable.

--Dave

Don't forget Lemmy!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 02:17:41 PM

Don't forget Lemmy!

Sheer brilliance, Signe.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 02:28:07 AM

okay, I laughed out loud at that one!

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 09:07:15 AM

What does Bowser's son have to do with this?  His world was shitty anyway. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 12:42:04 PM

I met the woman I love on OKCupid.  Not sure how that correlates to this thread though.

It means you were god damned lucky.

stark
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 10:19:08 AM

I met my wife on OkCupid, I guess I'm God damned lucky too.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 08:58:09 PM

Lucky is when that marriage results in a life time of happiness. Not finding a random person to marry on the interweb.
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 01:17:06 AM

Oh gryeyes, aren't you all cynical and jaded.

These days, people should be happy if they find someone who is worth a good six months. Most folks self obsessed, cocksure, and jackasses on the internet.

Grimwell
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 06:47:08 AM

Oh gryeyes, aren't you all cynical and jaded.

These days, people should be happy if they find someone who is worth a good six months. Most folks [are] self obsessed, cocksure, and jackasses on the internet.
FIFY
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 09:56:08 AM

Proof that quality mods can be found on the Internet. :)

Grimwell
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 10:10:39 AM

I'd settle for six weeks or six days at this point.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 10:34:39 AM

Anyone able to find a significant other that they are happy with beyond the first few months (aka Honeymoon period) is  fortunate.  It doesn't matter where or how you met them.  I see some merit to online dating, personally.  As we keep closing ourselves off with technology, we're finding fewer and fewer social venues to meet like-minded individuals.  I had a friend once tell me to try online dating saying that I would never meet someone between my office and my lab.  Ok, noone that I wouldn't risk losing my job for!  why so serious?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 12:15:47 PM

I met my wife at school.  We started going out when I was at university.  We've been going out, engaged then married for a total of 19 years now and we've been happy throughout.  So there is hope :)

It helps that she is phenomenally patient.

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 12:17:53 PM

I know rather a lot of people who met via online dating and are doing really well together. Anecdotally, it appears to me to work better than regular dating for finding viable long term relationships.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 12:23:54 PM

I know rather a lot of people who met via online dating and are doing really well together. Anecdotally, it appears to me to work better than regular dating for finding viable long term relationships.

How to put this without seeming cruel?

If you're at the stage of advertising for love on the web you're perhaps more likely to be aware that you can't go throwing it away on a whim.

Twitter - Endieposts

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 12:36:05 PM

If you're at the stage of advertising for love on the web you're perhaps more likely to be aware that you can't go throwing it away on a whim.

I disagree.  It's just an exercise in efficiency, especially if you're relatively busy.  You can scan hundreds of people in minutes, and then approach the one's you find interesting.  Dating is just a numbers game, and going out to bars to meet someone can be fun, but is otherwise like digging trenches with a trowel versus an excavator.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 12:40:31 PM

It also allows people to meet others outside of their normal social circles.  I tend to think of online dating as a really large cocktail party that you wouldn't otherwise attend. 

To be honest, I think that women have a lot more reason to be apprehensive about this than men.  Guys are predatory and prone to lying about their intentions and marital status. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 02:21:27 PM

I don't know about dating services, per se, however I have seen plenty of people who were friends online and started dating later.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 02:41:52 PM

Well, it wouldn't be cruel to me, as that's not how my relationship started (see Lantyssa's comment instead). Are you saying people are pickier/more careful when they're desperate (assuming that's what you left out in order to avoid cruelty)? I'm not sure that makes sense.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 02:53:59 PM

Ugly people try harder to make a relationship work?

"Me am play gods"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 03:08:23 PM

Ugly people try harder to make a relationship work?

Hmmm, I wonder. I'm not sure there's a correlation between "ugly" and "likely to use dating service", though. Again, sample size small enough to certainly be irrelevant, but the people I know who've used them (or I should say, the ones who've admitted to it anyway) are generally from the normal-to-good-looking end of the spectrum.

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 03:18:40 PM

I didn't mean ugly as such.  Just that people who have found that they're not natural at conventional means of procuring a partner might not be quite so quick to lose their temper and break up over stupid/little shit.  Maybe because of a lack of self-confidence, maybe because of old-fashioned humility, maybe through not having their excitement about a relationship dulled by repetition, I dunno...

And sometimes, yeah, what tazelbain said.

Twitter - Endieposts

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 03:24:01 PM

I'm not sure there's a correlation between "ugly" and "likely to use dating service", though.
I'm ugly and I never used a dating service ;-)

I have no idea how to trust anyone for internet dating.  I wouldn't even know how to trust dating in the real world!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 03:35:07 PM

It also allows people to meet others outside of their normal social circles.  I tend to think of online dating as a really large cocktail party that you wouldn't otherwise attend. 

This has always been the advantage I've seen.   I wouldn't want to marry anyone I went to school with, or those in firms I've worked for.  Women architects.. no thx. 

Online game players? Nah, I'm trying to kick the habit, not reinforce the bad habits/ lifestyle it produces.

Other than that it's down to picking up random strangers in bars and shopping venues, based primarily on looks and finding out later how shallow, vapid, uninteresting or uninvolved in things you like they are.  That or trusting friends to hook you up with who THEY think you'll get along with.

I don't know what kind of x-mas gifts you all have gotten from friends, but the choices I've seen all lead me to believe that it'd be a bad end there.

Whereas online dating, you've filled out surveys, appraised yourself, mentioned your interests and are match with a variety who are similar in persona and interests.  Only seems to have upsides to me.

But then, based on prior conversations here I wouldn't have stuck around two weeks in relationships with most of y'all's S.O.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Internet Dating: Everyone's still shallow  
Jump to: