Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:08:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Internet Dating: Everyone's still shallow 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Internet Dating: Everyone's still shallow  (Read 407409 times)
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1015 on: January 04, 2012, 06:28:24 PM

Most of the girls I've met from the Internet have expressed surprise that I'm actually 6'1" like my profile says.
One of my exes was actually 6'1" and was amazed and happy that when I said I was 6'3", in reality I was actually taller than her.  She thought it was great compared to all the other people who claimed to be tall and were shorter than her by a wide margin.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1016 on: January 04, 2012, 06:35:41 PM

Most of the girls I've met from the Internet have expressed surprise that I'm actually 6'1" like my profile says.
One of my exes was actually 6'1" and was amazed and happy that when I said I was 6'3", in reality I was actually taller than her.  She thought it was great compared to all the other people who claimed to be tall and were shorter than her by a wide margin.

Tall girls do not fuck around with height. No better way to shoot yourself in the ass then making a claim you are taller than you are with a girl over 5'10".

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #1017 on: January 04, 2012, 07:02:48 PM

My foolish male brain simply cannot comprehend why a woman would discriminate based on height in today's day and age.  I understand how in days of yore, height might have correlated to some kind of Darwinian advantage for men.  However, I can't think of an argument I'd buy for this to be the case in any modern society today.

The most common height related request I saw was, "Must be taller than x.  You should be taller than me in heels."  I'm legitimately 6 feet, and I pretty much fulfilled that request for everyone I saw.  But it always galled me to the point that I universally skipped those dumb asses.  Why in the world would you care so much about how tall your man was when you are wearing heels?  It seemed to me that making that request was a retard indicator, as height in relation to girl in heels has nothing to do with how well you'll get along.  Unless you're so self-aware that you just can't be seen with someone shorter than you.  And in that case, I felt I was well served by my policy of 'nexting' the height-conscious.

AKA Gyoza
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #1018 on: January 04, 2012, 07:09:45 PM

My foolish male brain simply cannot comprehend why a woman would discriminate based on height in today's day and age.  I understand how in days of yore, height might have correlated to some kind of Darwinian advantage for men.  However, I can't think of an argument I'd buy for this to be the case in any modern society today.

Having talked to tall girls in the past, the general impression I've gotten is that it's mostly a comfort and baggage thing from their childhood than anything.   Tall girls tend to stand out in high school and it leaves a bit of a scar on the psyche.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1019 on: January 04, 2012, 07:20:23 PM

Just like it there's no reason for it to matter if a girl has a pretty face or a nice figure, amirite?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #1020 on: January 04, 2012, 07:24:00 PM

I prefer to go out with girls who are shorter and lighter than me. Why can't a tall girl want the same?
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #1021 on: January 04, 2012, 07:56:17 PM

Just like it there's no reason for it to matter if a girl has a pretty face or a nice figure, amirite?

I donno if right.  For one, I don't think too many dudes are putting, "Must have pretty face and nice figure." right there in their cotton-pickin' profiles.  I'd have no problem understanding why girls would skip even a good looking tall dude who did that. 

And to be fair, it's not just girls who are above average height who have this in their profile. 

I definitely don't claim to know the nature of what women think, but this qualification just seems archaic and irrelevant to me - at least the 'taller than me in heels' part.

AKA Gyoza
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1022 on: January 04, 2012, 08:02:32 PM

I donno if right.  For one, I don't think too many dudes are putting, "Must have pretty face and nice figure." right there in their cotton-pickin' profiles.  I'd have no problem understanding why girls would skip even a good looking tall dude who did that.

Yeah, but it doesn't mean it's not a requirement for a lot of guys.  Saying that physical attractiveness is "archaic" makes you sound like some kind of goddamn Martian is all I'm saying.   why so serious?

Complaining that those girls are presenting themselves as superficial is totally understandable.  I actually kind of like it when girls are up front about their dealbreakers, even if they're superficial; saves a lot of time for all involved.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #1023 on: January 04, 2012, 10:25:50 PM

Not to put too fine a point on it, but to me it's like saying, "Her knees are too sharp."  (Ho HO!)  It just makes my eyes roll, is all. 

I guess height is just not something I ever spent any time thinking about.  And so I have a hard time understanding why short dudes should be shafted, while I have no basis for comparison.  I don't know why height is part of physical attractiveness.  I see short chick.  I say, "OK."  I see tall chick.  I say, "Yes, please."  The process by which a woman interprets height in terms of attractiveness is indeed some form of alien logic to me.  I guess I am a typical man from Mars.

AKA Gyoza
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1024 on: January 05, 2012, 01:26:32 AM

Just for a second, imagine a woman saying "The process by which a man interprets breast size in terms of attractiveness is some form of alien logic to me."

swamp poop

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1025 on: January 05, 2012, 01:30:48 AM

Except that tallness isn't tasty and wicked fun to play with.  You almost can't rub your height in my face, either.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1026 on: January 05, 2012, 01:42:12 AM

Except that tallness isn't tasty and wicked fun to play with.

I know some girls who disagree with you.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1027 on: January 05, 2012, 01:45:33 AM

Your Mum had tits and your Dad was taller than you.

It's not rocket science chaps.

why so serious?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1028 on: January 05, 2012, 01:47:17 AM

Ewwwwwww!

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #1029 on: January 05, 2012, 01:51:19 AM

I remember working with a skinny short geek who was married to a tall amazon woman. Looked them up on Facebook 12 years later and they're still together, with three kids.

But in the movies, the woman looks up at the man as he holds her in his arms. Height changes physical interaction, whether it's a standing kiss, a whisper in an ear, an arm around the waist, or a sex position. Other things decide whether the relationship works, but I guess if you are describing in advance for a dating service the person you imagine spending your life with, it's difficult to throw away perceptions of how you will interact. I'm 6'1 and even a greeting kiss on the cheek to my tall female cycling buddy is an unusual experience.

Edit: "Five new replies were posted while you were typing" and they said it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 01:54:38 AM by Tale »
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #1030 on: January 05, 2012, 02:25:09 AM

I remember a former colleague of mine brought his girlfriend over one day. He was a head taller than me, and she was a head shorter than me.

They made a funny couple.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1031 on: January 05, 2012, 05:15:43 AM

Sure it's a genetic advantage.  Women typically want to feel protected, because if they feel protected their young will be protected and they will be protected in their vulnerable gravid states.  Many of the things that we desire in women are "built in" as are many of the things women want in us.  The height/size thing may not make sense today, but it's still present in what makes us tick. 
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1032 on: January 05, 2012, 05:40:11 AM

Sure it's a genetic advantage.  Women typically want to feel protected, because if they feel protected their young will be protected and they will be protected in their vulnerable gravid states.  Many of the things that we desire in women are "built in" as are many of the things women want in us.  The height/size thing may not make sense today, but it's still present in what makes us tick. 

Queue the nature/nuture discussion!  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #1033 on: January 05, 2012, 07:06:28 AM

And of course I thought of that, and I didn't think nature vs nurture in terms of height correlating to a man's implied ability to protect was remotely realistic in our society for at least, uh, oh since Napoleon kicked everyone's ass.  Yea it's still there from when cave-women wanted protection from the scariest goon she could find, but the point I'm making is that it's silly.

What I didn't think of was tits.  Tits have rendered me broken.  And I lose.  I would gladly recant my nonsense in proxy for the prospect of the perfect titty.  And no, I can't explain it.  I suppose that's what one gets for stopping thinking about titties long enough to write words on the tubes.

AKA Gyoza
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1034 on: January 05, 2012, 09:25:09 AM

I donno if right.  For one, I don't think too many dudes are putting, "Must have pretty face and nice figure." right there in their cotton-pickin' profiles.  I'd have no problem understanding why girls would skip even a good looking tall dude who did that. 

Yes, but women, unlike men, can generally have a man if they so chose unless they are so physically repugnant that nothing will touch them for fear of getting the dropsies. All they have to do is put out or at least give the impression they will put out at some not too distant future point and the dates shall be had. Women can be shallow and even moderately good looking women can pick and choose from the lineup of swinging dicks looking for something to touch their no-no spot.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1035 on: January 05, 2012, 09:55:34 AM

There aren't enough women here to get the typical "No we can't" response to that.

Of course, that response always ignores the female's underlying statement that she can't get a /quality*/ guy to just fuck her whenever she wants.   As you say, if she's willing to accept anyone the list would be longer than she could deal with.

Guys, however, can do the same if they're willing to compromise on their primary motivator of physical beauty.   I worked with a guy at a bar who went home with a different girl every night he worked.  His pickup line was "Hey, want to fuck?"   He got slapped a lot, and they weren't always pretty but he never went home alone and sometimes she brought a friend.

*Quality being whatever subjective mix of physical attraction, intellect, money, commitment and personality said female desires.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1036 on: January 05, 2012, 10:01:07 AM

QUALITY is the problem. The old saying about "Got to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince" isn't a cliche for nothing.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1037 on: January 05, 2012, 11:54:07 AM

As a tall woman, the reason I give a shit about height (although I don't have, like, a "must be this tall to ride this ride" policy or anything) is because everyone else fucking does. Throughout my life, when I had a new boyfriend, the FIRST THING people asked about him was if he was taller than me. I have had people act like I'm weird because I don't give a shit that I'm taller than Ingmar in heels. Society still pounds into a woman's head you should be shorter than your man. All the time. Always.

It's worse for my sister, she's the same height as me, but married a 5'7" dude. People found that hilarious. They also fretted that she might wear heels for their wedding, because oh no, then she'd be even taller than him. She always acted mock-surprised and would say, "You're right! I wouldn't want people to notice I'm taller!"

My actual preference is that they just be around my height (within three inches either way, probably ... but again, I don't break out a tape measure or anything). Dudes who are shorter than me often didn't seem interested in me in the first place (I only ever had one boyfriend obviously shorter than me, and it was not because I was rejecting short dudes), but I just ... like being around the same height. I don't think I'd want to tower over my beloved if I were a dude, either. Begging for neck and back problems, imo! ;)

God Save the Horn Players
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #1038 on: January 05, 2012, 12:06:46 PM

As long as you can kiss standing up and not look ridiculous, it's fine.

I describe myself "just shy of 5'8"" or "around 5'8"" FTR. Which I don't consider "really short". But I will describe it in terms of 5'8", the minimum acceptable male height, because it sounds better than "5'7" and a half".

I get the feeling we're re-treading this because I've got a hell of a sense of deja-vu here.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 12:09:16 PM by bhodi »
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1039 on: January 05, 2012, 12:34:02 PM

I know I've discussed being an Amazon before. I always like to talk about being an Amazon.  why so serious?

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1040 on: January 05, 2012, 12:42:48 PM

Yes, but women, unlike men, can generally have a man if they so chose unless they are so physically repugnant that nothing will touch them for fear of getting the dropsies.

There's a big difference here.  Women are typically more interested in a long term relationship rather than just getting laid (Yes, I know this is a gross generalization and there are exceptions to every rule). 
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #1041 on: January 05, 2012, 12:43:41 PM

Tangentially on-topic...

I briefly dated one woman who was about 3" taller than myself, which was the first time I'd dated anyone taller than myself.  It definitely made me do a lot of thinking about gender roles and height - I had gotten so used to being "the taller one" that it was distinctly unusual and initially uncomfortable to have to look UP at a date.

As long as you can kiss standing up and not look ridiculous, it's fine.

This reminds me of the couple I know where he's 6'8" and she's about 5'4".  I never thought much of it until I saw them slow-dancing, and then it was both awkward and humorous at the same time.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1042 on: January 05, 2012, 12:59:08 PM

Yes, but women, unlike men, can generally have a man if they so chose unless they are so physically repugnant that nothing will touch them for fear of getting the dropsies.

There's a big difference here.  Women are typically more interested in a long term relationship rather than just getting laid (Yes, I know this is a gross generalization and there are exceptions to every rule). 

Well, yes, and being willing to put out (or at least throw out the signals that you are) can attract more long-term relationships than acting like your maidenhead is more sacred than the Shroud of Turin.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1043 on: January 05, 2012, 01:08:45 PM

It can also attract a lot of STDs and small children, both things women don't want, at least until they have the relationship thing lined up for the kid thing.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1044 on: January 05, 2012, 01:11:28 PM

It also gets them branded by the dreaded "slut" label. I'm sure all the dudes here are totally willing to date a lady who had  more sex partners than them by a huge margin ( Ohhhhh, I see. ) but not everyone is so enlightened.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1045 on: January 05, 2012, 01:19:19 PM

They are as long as they never have to acknowledge nor discuss it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1046 on: January 05, 2012, 01:21:43 PM

Keep that harlot past buried! Where it belongs!

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1047 on: January 05, 2012, 01:40:50 PM

I'm sure all the dudes here are totally willing to date a lady who had  more sex partners than them by a huge margin ( Ohhhhh, I see. )

At least the ones that haven't been burned yet.   awesome, for real

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1048 on: January 05, 2012, 01:44:18 PM

My wife never had sex or kissed a man before she met me.   Ohhhhh, I see.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1049 on: January 05, 2012, 02:24:07 PM

In case you didn't know it, men are fucking idiots. They want an absolute slut in bed who can do it all and do it well, but they want her to be never touched by another man (or at the very least never acknowledge that another man might be bigger/better than they are).

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 42 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Internet Dating: Everyone's still shallow  
Jump to: