Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:16:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Blizzard launches real money in-game pet store (plus some goes to charity) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blizzard launches real money in-game pet store (plus some goes to charity)  (Read 77800 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: April 20, 2010, 02:48:12 AM

There's a fundamental disconnect between people who are willing to pay for convenience and people who think that if developers can identify inconveniences in the base game they should fix them. I'm not going to say that the former are wrong but I certainly don't share that mindset.

The dangerous thing here is that when you're willing to pay to make the game less tedious it gives developers incentives to leave the tedious bits in the game or even purposely design them in. Think Raph and his forced downtime except instead of forced downtime being a noble attempt to foster socialization it's a way to sell potions of faster resting.

And this is absolutely not sky-is-falling talk because this is how Asian microtrans games are designed today.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 03:07:39 AM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #246 on: April 20, 2010, 03:27:20 AM

You're not wrong on the paying for tedium reduction is BS, but this isn't that.   The 'it's convenient for my alts' argument is how people are justifying it to themselves, nothing more.  It wasn't intended to be that because the gold to buy mounts (not the riding skill) at ANY level is trivial for that level.  If they started selling heirloom items, which have a tangible tedium reduction factor, for cash then you'd be right.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: April 20, 2010, 07:17:23 PM

Really Margalis, who are you arguing with? You keep clamoring on about paying for bug fixes or paying for quicker leveling, but this isn't that. This is nothing close to that. Unless you consider "I didn't have a shiny horse" a fundamental gameplay problem, this isn't even a step in that direction.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Tuncal
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: April 20, 2010, 09:04:05 PM

Blizzard has spent their development time since partway through TBC actively undermining their ability to sell exp potions / levelling aids through a cash shop by removing the suck and decreasing the grind.  It's less a slippery slope and more a sheet of float glass.
This right here x 1,000. Seriously, Blizzard has been streamlining the game for years now and making it more accessible / painless to play, and now we're worried about them charging extra for bug fixes? The same company that has just released a Diablo 2 patch not too long ago, years after they made money from that title? Come on.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: April 21, 2010, 12:39:14 AM

Really Margalis, who are you arguing with?

The multiple people in this thread who pointed to convenience as a reason for ownership.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: April 21, 2010, 06:36:46 AM

The only convenience I can see is that all your level 70 or higher toons don't have to walk farther than the mailbox to get their new sparkly mount as opposed to walking a bit farther to pick up some other kind of mount.

I'm going to guess that for those concerned this much with a new sparkly mount, they already have 5-10 mounts that do the exact same thing, but look different.  There may be some speed differences in there, but I care so little about it I don't even know what those are.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: April 21, 2010, 08:46:33 AM

This mount is only available through purchase and scales with your riding skill. There is no advantage of convenience. You can't attain it in another way.

beer geek.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: April 21, 2010, 09:11:02 AM

[...]There may be some speed differences in there, but I care so little about it I don't even know what those are.

The Celestial mount adjust itself to your highest riding skill/fastest mount.  The DK mount does something simliar (I don't think it can go 310%).

If I understand what they've been saying lately it's a pre-cursor to how things will work in Cataclysm, where a new level of riding skill will allow your character to travel at 310% speed.  From the comments the devs have made, it's a model that they are moving to for all mounts (even currently owned mounts) so that your decision of which mount you will ride will be based entirely upon aesthetics, rather than one mount being faster than others.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: April 21, 2010, 03:11:22 PM

You still need the training, the trainer is right beside the vendor.  Therefore:

Ohhhhh, I see.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: April 21, 2010, 03:37:23 PM

You still need the training, the trainer is right beside the vendor.  Therefore:

Ohhhhh, I see.

You still have to go to your mailbox.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

beer geek.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: April 21, 2010, 04:30:54 PM

There is no advantage of convenience.
I never have to ride a Kodo, raptor, the blood elf one, or Windrider again.  It's a win.  Sure, my army of 80's don't care too much, but my alts love it.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: April 21, 2010, 04:35:12 PM

Mechanostriders are the best mounts ever.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: April 21, 2010, 05:25:17 PM

That's not convenience Selby, that's cosmetics.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: April 21, 2010, 05:31:23 PM

That's not convenience Selby, that's cosmetics.
And it's still a win in my book.  I fail to see the outrage here.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: April 21, 2010, 05:51:02 PM

Hey, I'm not arguing, I bought one. Just trying to prevent another 'ZOMG PAYING FOR BUGFIXES' outburst.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: April 21, 2010, 07:22:37 PM

Hey, I'm not arguing, I bought one. Just trying to prevent another 'ZOMG PAYING FOR BUGFIXES' outburst.
No worries, I did too and still have no issues with it ;-)
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: April 22, 2010, 08:25:51 AM

There is no advantage of convenience.
I never have to ride a Kodo, raptor, the blood elf one, or Windrider again.  It's a win.  Sure, my army of 80's don't care too much, but my alts love it.

I'm not sure why you are replying to me. I have absolutely zero problem with the mount. I plan on picking it up.

beer geek.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: April 30, 2010, 06:50:38 PM

Would anyone else buy the X-53 Touring Rocket (if offered) if it played "Magic Carpet Ride" to all in the near vicinity?

Would be nice to drown out the racket of all the Mechanohogs.   awesome, for real

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Blizzard launches real money in-game pet store (plus some goes to charity)  
Jump to: