Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:50:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: And cancelled 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: And cancelled  (Read 11794 times)
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: January 21, 2005, 09:46:31 PM

Quote from: Strazos
Just to reinforce what has been said here, EQ2 blows after 20. I stuck it out until lvl 27 or so before quitting. Before you hit 20, you have plenty of quests to do, and new places to run through, so it stays engaging.

My post-20 experience has been different.  I've not even hit 25 yet and I've:

- got a ton of quests in Nektulos forest of varying difficulty
- have access quest for Cauldron Hollows still to complete
- have access quest for Nektropos Castle still to complete
- still haven't finished AQs. though not really "gotta have" since I have been able to buy appropriate pristine player made armor
- can still solo enjoyably as an assassin
- have no problem playing in groups since I have so many attacks to choose from I can almost always avoid aggro, and as the high dps in a group, I usually reserve my highest dmg attacks after aggro is well established
- have been doing writ quests for the guild I joined
- still have yet to get into some of the deeper levels of Fallen Gate
- worked my character up to 21 weaponsmith fairly easily (being in a guild helps)

Not saying things can't go the way you described, but I have yet to be in a group that just sits and camps one spot -- the closest I came was one night when a guild member needed help and we roamed around one area in Nek forest for an hour killing a specific creature. But it never felt like camping.

What EQ2 does lack, though, is a sense of goofy fun. A coworker in WoW told me that his horde character actually feasts on the corpses of things he kills -- does sound amusing.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: January 21, 2005, 11:28:03 PM

In the end, I find EQ > EQ2 because:

character creation has more noticable choices (no eye patch? scar? blind eye?)
class roles are more noticable (tank dps heal damage.. oh my)
the goddman zones are memorable (everfrost, unrest, butcherblock)
oh ya... the same breastplate actually looks different on different races.

I have to be in the minority for SOEs sake.  The only thing EQ2 really brought forward was a combat wheel no one used.... and combat animations - the latter of which were quite good.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 22, 2005, 05:01:42 AM

I thought the commonlands were a pretty good zone in EQ2.  For a newbie transition zone is was excellent.  Plus I think the whole 'savana' feel of it was a real nice touch.  Much better done than other savana style zones I've seen.

Nektulous on the other hand was pathetic, as was the newb zone outside qeynos.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #38 on: January 22, 2005, 08:38:13 AM

Quote from: jpark
 The only thing EQ2 really brought forward was a combat wheel no one used.... and combat animations - the latter of which were quite good.

I guess you didn't play a rogue or predator then. I used it nonstop - an extra 140 free damage is always nice.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 23, 2005, 09:44:28 AM

The guild I play with uses teamspeak and we often use the Heroic Opportunites -- not always successfully -- but it adds to the feeling of 'teamwork'.

Did a guild group of 6 into an instanced dungeon called Nektropos Castle last night.  This has a timer for re-entry, which is about 2 hours. We made it pretty far into the dungeon, which included a one-way a passage through a secret door (nicely implemented) and a 'storyline' of sorts that requires helping a ghost by reclaiming artifacts (medallions) from the dead daughters of the castle's previous lord. [Guild War's still does a better job of instanced storylines, IMHO]. Again no camping required. And as far as Xp/advancement, I went in only 5% into level 25 and came out 40% into the level (this in just 2 hours of play, including about 6% debt from the party's death).

We managed to survive quite a ways into the place before we were finally defeated by one of the higher level 'dead daughters'. When we respawned, not only did we *not* have to go inside to get our shards (they were obtainable right at the door), but our timers showed we only had to wait 10 minutes to go back in.  None of us realized the re-entry zone timer started from the moment we entered...so if we'd lasted another 10 minutes in the zone, we could have all easily re-entered right away. (We chose not to for other reasons.)

I still strongly dislike the idea of zone re-entry timers, but in this case it was a little less annoying than had been expected.

The whole thing was the most dungeon-crawl-like I've had in an MMORPG,   with most of us on 'full alert' throughout since the threat of death was around every corner. It was enjoyable, though I expect that had a lot to do with it being 'new' to me. I am not so certain it will be as enjoyable the 4th or 5th time through...

Still, it was clear the designer had given a lot of thought to the small map layout details, the quests and the visual details. Halls and rooms that were twisted and misshapen, cramped corridors, winding staircases, a rampart that led outdoors and then back into the castle, and a story that uncovered elements about the castle's background as you quest through it. Not too bad at all.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: And cancelled  
Jump to: