Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:47:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: And cancelled 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: And cancelled  (Read 11792 times)
Murgos
Terracotta Army

on: January 04, 2005, 07:10:12 PM

No big reason other than I just aint going to piss anymore of my life away trying to see what the next tier of armor looks like on my avatar.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 07:33:17 PM

Ding. Gratz!
Flashman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 07:37:26 PM

heh. I know what you mean. I cancelled the day my free month was going to end. I really tried to like it to and give eq2 a shot.

I hated the AFK merchanting you had to do to sell anything, the player housing situation, the fact that everyone looked the same and within classes had the same general abilities...oh and the entire game past level 20.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 07:39:43 PM

Quote from: Flashman
the fact that everyone looked the same and within classes had the same general abilities

I wouldn't suggest doing the obvious thing and switching to WoW then. But on another note, during beta for EQ2, I posted in their forums that their mid and high game MUST be as polished as the low-level game to really keep retention. I got scolded. I'm not surprised to see people cancelling at 20.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 07:43:39 PM

EQ2 is very demanding on time - and grouping - and I don't have a problem with that - although RL demands mean that I cannot make those time commitments.

I think the combat wheel added to the game.
They did a great job improving scouts and tanks and reducing absolute dependence on a a singular healing class.
They also did a decent job in making tradeskilling a lot more enjoyable than in EQ (/duck).

But there is just no heart - no art - EQ avatars look better stylistically.  Character creation - no comment.  The zones are quite unmemorable.

The physics of the movement of the avatars is just bad - great in combat - awful outside of combat (once you play COH you just can never ignore this).  When avatars jump in EQ2 it looks like their arms become dislocated, literally, at the shoulder.

Ironically again - there is arguably more class differentiation in EQ than in EQ2.

The utter absence of any solability in the game is ironic.  People from EQ that exceled as druids, Necros and Wizards that soloed a lot have trouble with EQ2.  I guess all this means there is still a niche for EQ players even if their systems can run EQ2.

There was too much instancing.  You could work out a formula - but when you have 2-5 instances of popular zones you spend more time talking about what instance your in rather than where you are on a map.  Atmosphere killer.

For a social game the utter absence of a bazaar - is a disappointment.  They just eliminated another node of social confluence in the game.

My friends and I quite because of RL demands.  They improved a lot in the game though - it is just ironic that - imo - their shortcomings you thought would have been the things they did best at.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 07:46:02 PM

I managed to get over my hatred of the character models, and played the early levels a bit. I admit, it was done well, but I knew it was going to become exactly like what Murgos said. So I figured I'd quit while I was ahead.

Who knows? Maybe in another year or so, EQ2 will actually be good.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 07:51:58 PM

Quote from: Stray
Who knows? Maybe in another year or so, EQ2 will actually be good.

Let me take the opposite take on this:

Who knows?  Maybe in another year or so, EQ will be good.

If they could borrow the combat wheel, combat kinetics, Fighter & scout improvements and tradeskill system to EQ - I would go back.  Back to EQ (with its great class variety, avatar looks, zone atmosphere).

For me the the path to a better game may be involve less work improving EQ than EQ2.

Go figure.

"  HaemishM.
Flashman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 09:34:16 PM

Quote from: schild

I posted in their forums that their mid and high game MUST be as polished as the low-level game to really keep retention. I got scolded. I'm not surprised to see people cancelling at 20.

Yeah, I just don't get that. I didn't even notice the XP bar until I hit about level 17. Lots of quests to do, things to keep you occupied. Then there comes a time around 17-19, when you realize to do anything you are pretty much forced to group and the fun little stuff dries up.

The grouping was a killer for me especially with the shared XP debt. I was at level 20 and had a big hit of XP debt and it hit me that I was not going to play grind for hours just to get back to where I was before.

Then there's a quote on the forums from an SoE rep today..."Group mobs were never intended to be solo"...now group mobs are off limits to solo players. For solo'ers it either killing yard trash or being obliterated by something else. No quests either after you hit a high enough level.

If you make a post about the lack of solo play you get:

"wait until the next big patch"

or some bullshit about forced grouping building the COMMUNITEH!

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the majority of MMO players solo'ers and "weak" groupers (people who form pick-up groups)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 10:00:24 PM

Quote from: jpark
Let me take the opposite take on this:

Who knows? Maybe in another year or so, EQ will be good.

If they could borrow the combat wheel, combat kinetics, Fighter & scout improvements and tradeskill system to EQ - I would go back. Back to EQ (with its great class variety, avatar looks, zone atmosphere).

For me the the path to a better game may be involve less work improving EQ than EQ2.

Go figure.

I think I can tolerate a lot of stuff, but when character advancement is the chief objective in playing a game, I quit. Or better yet, don't play at all. It's bad enough that I spend of lot of free time playing video games, but even worse if I spend it on playing something that isn't even a game at all.

I suppose there's one that I'm attracted to that falls under this category though: CoH. The gimmick keeps me interested, but not by much.

The little I played of EQ2 wasn't anything comparable to single player games or anything, but I'll give it some credit. They tried, if only a little, and it turned out to be somewhat immersive. I knew it was going to shift to just another character-centric game though. But unlike EQ1, there's still hope. Like I said, give it a year or so and who knows? Maybe they'll flesh out the rest.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 05:02:09 AM

I think a large reason a lot of people burn out right around 20 is due to the sub-classing system. Let's have a look, shall we?

Level 10 - Something to look forward to. Oh neat! New class.

Level 20 - Something to look forward to. Little bit grindy near it, but oh neat! New class.

Level 30 - Umm...

Level 40 - Umm...

The new sub-classes provide a different enough experience to carry a player that little bit further toward the next sub-class. But once you've gotten both sub-classes and had the opportunity to tinker with them, what else is there? Nothing. Unless you enjoy the EQ1 paradigm of "new" spells that are merely enhanced, renamed versions of previous spells or the ever-popular EQ1 paradigm of hunting for phat lewt. Whoa, hold me back! Heh.

Honestly, I believe the post-20 burnout is due solely to the fact that it's the "same old" game after level 20. But I will say that the elder game is not polished since word has it that Lavastorm? cannot be unlocked by level 50 players because SOE hasn't completed the content so the unlock quest for that zone is not in the game yet. How. Very. Appropriate. For an EQ title.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 07:19:17 AM

Complaints about exp debt are misplaced - but complaints about sharing it are not. You can log out and have it expire in 3 days(?). Yes, it sucks if you want to grind for a long period at one sitting, but it is hellabetter than losing your level.

I just dinged 19. I am a casual player that gets a lot of help from good guild. I often group with the #3 alts of others. I have enjoyed the game quite a bit so far, BUT I ventured into Thundering Steppes for the first time last night. I was excited to see a new zone. Umm, big fucking yawn. It takes FOREVER to run anywhere and it is one big green field with walls. Why aren't there griffon stations like Antonica? I remember fearkiting lions in EK with my ranger in EQ1 and it SUCKED. Thundering Steppes brought back that unpleasant memory in spades. And holy fucking shit, how can SOE be so goddamn uncreative to have griffon and lions AGAIN?!! Do they think fighting zoo animals is cool? Level 23 antelope and hawks? Are you fucking kidding me?

I am not going to quit, but I am going to stay in Antonica/SH/BB as long as I can.

I have never played WoW.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 05, 2005, 07:24:31 AM

Following Soukyan's comment - that is a major appeal of CoH.  Depending upon the kind of build you have in mind - you might be level 35 before the basic concept of your character is complete.  And you are constantly evaluating along the way.

Superficially EQ2 has this until about 20 - you're right.

Oh Shiznitz - on your point - I had howled when my level 23 druid friend in Cougar form was killed by an Antelope of the same level lol.

"  HaemishM.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 07:28:08 AM

Quote from: Soukyan

The new sub-classes provide a different enough experience to carry a player that little bit further toward the next sub-class. But once you've gotten both sub-classes and had the opportunity to tinker with them, what else is there? Nothing. Unless you enjoy the EQ1 paradigm of "new" spells that are merely enhanced, renamed versions of previous spells or the ever-popular EQ1 paradigm of hunting for phat lewt. Whoa, hold me back! Heh.

Except that for the first 20 levels, you get 1 set of 'upgrade' spells... and while being the same 'type' of spell, it will either have a different damage type, a different buff effect, or different side effects, than the original spell, because the new spell is based on your class, rather than your archetype.  The same thing happens thru the 20's and early 30's, when you get subclass-modified 'upgrade' spells.  Yes, in many cases, they are obviously direct upgrades, but they are modified to better fit the subclass you chose.  Thye last set up upgrade spells is the only one that is basically exactly the same as the previous set, because you have changed class/subclass in the middle.

Which means there are 4 'tiers' of spells.  The initial set, and 3 replacements.  Which makes me laugh when WoW proponents(not neccesarily you, Soukyan) make this argument, while at the same time going to purchase Fire Bolt 8 for their 50 mage, or Slice and Dice 8 for their 50 rogue.  Apparently Blizzard stole the spell/skill naming system from Horizons.

Honestly, I believe the post-20 burnout is due solely to the fact that it's the "same old" game after level 20. But I will say that the elder game is not polished since word has it that Lavastorm? cannot be unlocked by level 50 players because SOE hasn't completed the content so the unlock quest for that zone is not in the game yet. How. Very. Appropriate. For an EQ title.

While I've read accounts of people who've, you know, actually played to 50, who say the playstyle of the class varies quite a bit, depending on what spells you have access to and what-have-you, until the high 40's.  The Plane of Fear access quest is in the same state as Lavastorm, apparently, so the last couple levels are a pain without useful zones to hunt in.  Not that it matters to me, my highest character is still only 22.  Again, to make the obvious comparison to the competitor, once you have the first copies of all your attacks/spells... that's it.  New spells are just N+1 from there on out.  Whereas aside from your 5-6 'main' spells, that upgrade each tier in EQ2, there are lots of side spells that have different effects from the main line, and lots of totally new spells and effects as you level.

Complaints about the animation, or the lack of differentiation between characters of the same class/archetype, or some of the models(who the heck designed that deer?) are all reasonable, really.  Complaints about soloability, too, tho they're adding a bunch more solo quests Real Soon Now, in the major update which plans to implement a bunch more stuff they didn't get to before release.  But complaints about spell upgrades are total BS, especially coming from epople who love WoW.  The only game that didn't do N+1 style spells was UO, as far as I know... And EQ2 has a lot less of it than previous games, including its current competition and its predecessor.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #13 on: January 05, 2005, 07:34:12 AM

I agree that the spells/combat arts are well done and doled out ina compelling order. But, since there is always a dark cloud, the goddamn Adept 1 upgrades are way way way way way too rare.

I have never played WoW.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14 on: January 05, 2005, 07:45:33 AM

I played the lower level game of EQ2 and I'm still trying to see how it was such a fun, immersive experience. I was never immersed in EQ2, at all. Maybe I was never going to be, but the game was just bland, boring and the least immersive thing I've played since Pong. Fuck, I was more "immersed" in Pong. By level 6, as a warrior, I felt like everything I'd ever see was just a boosted up version of what I'd already seen. I couldn't wait to get off the Isle of N00b Refugees, because it obviously seemed like a really long tutorial. It felt like kindergarden.

I'm surprised anyone played it past level 10.

Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 05, 2005, 08:12:26 AM

Quote from: HaemishM
It felt like kindergarden.

And this is why the people who like it, like it.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 05, 2005, 09:49:29 AM

Quote from: Alkiera

Except that for the first 20 levels, you get 1 set of 'upgrade' spells... and while being the same 'type' of spell, it will either have a different damage type, a different buff effect, or different side effects, than the original spell, because the new spell is based on your class, rather than your archetype.  The same thing happens thru the 20's and early 30's, when you get subclass-modified 'upgrade' spells.  Yes, in many cases, they are obviously direct upgrades, but they are modified to better fit the subclass you chose.  Thye last set up upgrade spells is the only one that is basically exactly the same as the previous set, because you have changed class/subclass in the middle.

Which means there are 4 'tiers' of spells.  The initial set, and 3 replacements.  Which makes me laugh when WoW proponents(not neccesarily you, Soukyan) make this argument, while at the same time going to purchase Fire Bolt 8 for their 50 mage, or Slice and Dice 8 for their 50 rogue.  Apparently Blizzard stole the spell/skill naming system from Horizons.

I hugely dislike the "Firebolt 5" paradigm as well. And, no, I'm not a WoW proponent either so thank you not assuming that. :) I do like Warcraft lore, but aspects of the game leave something to be desired. I take no MMOG sides. Except Puzzle Pirates. Arr! But only because I can be a pirate and nobody dislikes being a pirate. But I digress...

Even with "tiers" of spells, you still end up with essentially the same spells being tweaked up or down. Mix in effects and you can trick people into feeling that the spells are "new" for longer (DAoC did this well with the spell distribution). Either that or players remain complacent longer because it at least feels new for longer. EQ2 is not a bad game; it simply falls into bad MMOG habits after a short while. I would suggest stretching out the sub-classing, but then it would feel very "grindy" in-between changes. CoH works well for a longer amount of levels because it's a skill/archetype hybrid that keeps the player choosing and actually does give new skills that function differently than previous ones. EQ2 cannot do this because they are still using a straight class-based system which removes the aspect of player customization once they've chosen their class.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 05, 2005, 11:36:07 AM

Even with "tiers" of spells, you still end up with essentially the same spells being tweaked up or down. Mix in effects and you can trick people into feeling that the spells are "new" for longer (DAoC did this well with the spell distribution). Either that or players remain complacent longer because it at least feels new for longer. EQ2 is not a bad game; it simply falls into bad MMOG habits after a short while. I would suggest stretching out the sub-classing, but then it would feel very "grindy" in-between changes. CoH works well for a longer amount of levels because it's a skill/archetype hybrid that keeps the player choosing and actually does give new skills that function differently than previous ones. EQ2 cannot do this because they are still using a straight class-based system which removes the aspect of player customization once they've chosen their class.

This hits the nail on the head.

"  HaemishM.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 05, 2005, 12:23:13 PM

That combat wheel was just so incredibly intrusive and "gamey" that I laughed any time I saw it.  Keep that shit on the gameboy games please.  

. . . you're fighting a group of orcs, you turn a corner and OMG PUNCH THE MONKEY NOW see that they have a sorceror OMG PUNCH THE MONKEY NOW . . .

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: January 05, 2005, 12:27:15 PM

Quote from: El Gallo
That combat wheel was just so incredibly intrusive and "gamey" that I laughed any time I saw it.  Keep that shit on the gameboy games please.  

. . . you're fighting a group of orcs, you turn a corner and OMG PUNCH THE MONKEY NOW see that they have a sorceror OMG PUNCH THE MONKEY NOW . . .

Win a free iPod for me!
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 05, 2005, 12:29:05 PM

Quote from: El Gallo

I'm a warrior, and if I hit kick, taunt, and do the hokey pokey the results = LIGHTNING BOLT!  LIGHTNING BOLT!

Worst dev team evar.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #21 on: January 05, 2005, 01:25:01 PM

No more lightning bolt. Now you get a green shimmer instead.

I have never played WoW.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #22 on: January 05, 2005, 01:52:17 PM

Must be from the goulash.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 06, 2005, 12:15:42 AM

I beta tested both EQ2 and WoW and was grateful as it saved me $100 clams.  It's a shame that two companies can spend so much money to produce two games with so little to offer to those of us that have "been-there-and-done-that".  Of course, it's all a matter of what's fun for each of us.  .  

I think I'll use the cash to buy myself a pat on the back.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 06, 2005, 07:00:08 AM

Quote from: Nebu
I beta tested both EQ2 and WoW and was grateful as it saved me $100 clams.  It's a shame that two companies can spend so much money to produce two games with so little to offer to those of us that have "been-there-and-done-that".  Of course, it's all a matter of what's fun for each of us.  .  

I think I'll use the cash to buy myself a pat on the back.

Not so fast:  if WoW has attracted a lot of new users to the genre, I think that has a lot of merit.  EQ2 I suspect is going the opposite direction.

I don't have any source statistics though to verify this... it's just an impression at this point.

"  HaemishM.
AlteredOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 06, 2005, 07:09:17 AM

Yes I think about 90% of us would agree that WoW is doing a much better job than EQ2 at luring new gamers to the genre.

I cancelled EQ2 when they revealed that regular $15/month paying customers would be stuck with 4 character slots, while "Station Pass" members paying $22/month would get 8 slots.  As an alt-a-holic who must keep several characters in my wife's level range, this was not financially acceptable.

I find it funny that *all* of these games feature only one pricing plan:  unlimited.  And all of them are heading toward the new $15/month standard.  Sure, I see why the newest games are upping the ante.  But I fail to see why the second tier of MMO games are not experimenting with other pricing options.  Somebody needs to market themselves as the "budget" MMO, for those who just want an affordable gaming fix.  Guild Wars is aiming in that direction with the no-monthly-fee pricing, but it's arguable whether they count as an "MMO," or some other category.

Anyway, why doesn't some marketing team say, "There are newer games out there, but we'll give you lots of fun at a cheap price."
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #26 on: January 06, 2005, 07:23:27 AM

Poor EQ2.  I haven't even opened the box that it was shipped in.   I was hoping that my nephew would want it, but he's not interested, either.  Oh well.

There are rumours that Wish will charge a bit over the new standard of $15 per month so they can pay their live content team.  

Hah!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 06, 2005, 07:32:56 AM

People have demonstrated that they are willing to pay more than the current monthly fee.  Therefore, even in the presence of competition, the monthly fee will go up steadily.  The only reason, AFAIK, that we aren't all still paying hourly, is that Garriott undercut everyone with the $9.95 / month fee, EQ followed, and the standard was set.

PS: I formally apologize for the number of commas in that last sentence.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: January 06, 2005, 10:44:47 AM

Quote from: Signe
Poor EQ2.  I haven't even opened the box that it was shipped in.   I was hoping that my nephew would want it, but he's not interested, either.  Oh well.

There are rumours that Wish will charge a bit over the new standard of $15 per month so they can pay their live content team.  

Hah!

EQ2 is on sale at EBGames for $34.99. Too late to sell it back and get any decent money.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #29 on: January 06, 2005, 10:55:13 AM

EQ2 definitely has a lot of players with EQ1 experience. I haven't met a true noob yet.

I have never played WoW.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #30 on: January 06, 2005, 11:09:21 AM

Quote from: Mesozoic
PS: I formally apologize for the number of commas in that last sentence.

Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #31 on: January 07, 2005, 07:43:46 AM

Quote from: shiznitz
EQ2 definitely has a lot of players with EQ1 experience. I haven't met a true noob yet.

Odd.  I've met quite a few... in fact, I know people IRL who are playing EQ2 who didn't play EQ1.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #32 on: January 07, 2005, 08:22:19 AM

I meant MMOG newbs.

I have never played WoW.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #33 on: January 21, 2005, 03:46:01 PM

I really tried to give EQ2 its due. It burned me flat pretty quick, though.

As far as I can tell, there's nothing it does which WoW hasn't done more fun and with less stupid gameplay elements.

And yes, this includes the graphics engine - less fun. The novelty of pseudophotorealism wears thin easy, especially on decidedly non-leet computers such as mine. It gets like playing a powerpoint presentation sometimes.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #34 on: January 21, 2005, 07:33:35 PM

Just to reinforce what has been said here, EQ2 blows after 20. I stuck it out until lvl 27 or so before quitting. Before you hit 20, you have plenty of quests to do, and new places to run through, so it stays engaging. When you hit 20, you get your final class, the "AQ's" (armor quests), and some cool abilities. Beyond that, the gameplay, at least for me, replicated the grind of EQ almost perfectly - my groups basically always ended up "camping" somewhere. Actually, the grind was arguably worse for me, because the so-called best tank classes, Beserker and Guardian, could never hold agro from my "inferior" Brigand (oddly enough Sk's could do this perfectly).

Damn you Sony, for wasting time I could have spent playing my WoW warrior up to at least lvl 40 before quitting That game.

I'm still not sure why anyone would continue to play the shitfest called Everquest (the original), regardless of EQ2.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: And cancelled  
Jump to: