Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:44:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815391 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #140 on: November 12, 2009, 07:35:10 PM

Yeah so my sister-in-law is turning 40 and we're having an "80s Prom" themed party.  

This has allowed me to turn up some long-lost gems such as

The Bird by Morris Day and the Time and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZZHK73iwTk

Living in America by the big guy James Brown.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHqUipinDyw

Any suggestions would be fun.

k.

Too Shy - Kajagoogoo
Always Something There to Remind me - Naked Eyes
Kids in America - Kim Wilde
Turning Japanese - The Vapors
Guilty - Classix Nouveaux (Hey look pop goths!)
The Safety Dance - Men Without Hats (You can't have an 80's bash without this song, dammit!)
She Blinded me with Science - Thomas Dolby
Church of the Poison Mind - Culture Club
Cruel Summer - Bananarama
(I Just) Died in Your Arms - Cutting Crew
One thing Leads to Another - The Fixx
Under The Milky Way - The Church
Mexican Radio - Wall of Voodoo
Heart and Soul - T'Pau (Still find the name & origin amusing.)
Walking on Sunshine - Katrina and the Waves
Sunglasses at Night - Corey Hart

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: November 12, 2009, 07:37:14 PM

You are a bad man. A very bad man. Some 80's music is DRILLING AND MANLINESS but all 80's music videos are  ACK!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 07:40:41 PM by Pennilenko »

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #142 on: November 12, 2009, 08:07:22 PM

Nice lists, Merusk and Mattemeo.  Thanks for the ideas.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:10:16 PM by ghost »
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #143 on: November 12, 2009, 09:29:18 PM

Nice lists, Merusk and Mattemeo.  Thanks for the ideas.

I noticed these gems was missing:

Bow Wow Wow - I Want Candy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMICD3aMZpw

Oingo Boingo - Wild Sex (in the working class)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn1skoAr0Zk

Yaz - Only You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9DOmlfICGw

Til tuesday - voices carry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz4pTMN3abw   (wow had forgotten how hot Amy is)

If anything for a 40th birthday you have to play Wild Sex

*edit*
Animotion- obsession
Culture Club - kharma chamelon what have you
Icicle works
Thompson Twins
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 09:32:55 PM by Fraeg »

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: November 12, 2009, 10:15:07 PM

I haven't seen any Queen in there.

At all.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #145 on: November 13, 2009, 12:58:25 AM

I went to school with Andy Bell. He was pretty cool.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #146 on: November 13, 2009, 06:09:58 AM

Yeah, Queen is definitely a must.  Probably not Bohemian Rhapsody, but maybe....... awesome, for real
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #147 on: November 13, 2009, 06:51:13 AM

For an 80s music party, how about Anthrax's Metal Thrashing Mad, Iron Maiden Piece of Mind, Metallica's Master of Puppets, Mercyful Fate's Don't Break the Oath, Slayer's Reign in Blood, Queensryche's Warning, Judas Priest's Screaming for Vengeance, Ozzy's Diary of a Madman...
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #148 on: November 13, 2009, 07:06:29 AM

Crazy Train will be on the list.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #149 on: November 13, 2009, 09:42:27 AM

For an 80s music party, how about Anthrax's Metal Thrashing Mad, Iron Maiden Piece of Mind, Metallica's Master of Puppets, Mercyful Fate's Don't Break the Oath, Slayer's Reign in Blood, Queensryche's Warning, Judas Priest's Screaming for Vengeance, Ozzy's Diary of a Madman...

As much as I love the songs I just don't see Angel of Death or Damage Incorporated making the list for a woman's 40th birthday.   Although JP's You Got Another Thing Coming would work as it is probably something everyone has heard.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: November 13, 2009, 10:11:46 AM

Sure, just making a commentary on where I was in the 80s :)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #151 on: November 13, 2009, 11:00:33 AM

I went to school with Andy Bell. He was pretty cool.

As in Erasure Andy Bell?  No way you're old enough to have gone to school with him!  I've seen your picture!  You look 30 on a bad day! 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #152 on: November 13, 2009, 11:04:08 AM

Yeah, Queen is definitely a must.  Probably not Bohemian Rhapsody, but maybe....... awesome, for real

Given that came out in '75 it would probably not be the most appropriate Queen song you could pick...

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #153 on: November 13, 2009, 12:10:45 PM

Sure, just making a commentary on where I was in the 80s :)

Oh I hear ya, if it was for me that list would have: Dead Kennedys, minor threat, bad brains, 7 seconds, uniform choice, agent orange, JFA, youth of today, Maiden/priest/the big 4 thrash bands etc.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #154 on: November 13, 2009, 04:09:16 PM

Yeah, I was going for popular 80's.. not metal 80's or "college rock" or whatever it was called then. 

Also; Queen sucked in the 80's  all their good stuff is from the 70's.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

80's Queen: Flash Gordon Soundtrack, Highlander Soundtrack, the Hot Space funk album and I Want to Break Free  until 89 and "'I Want it All"

Yeah, no.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #155 on: November 13, 2009, 04:23:31 PM

If only we could resurrect Freddy. Bet he had more in him. A lot of great 70's artists sucked in the 80's..

Ain't nothing wrong with Flash Gordon though.

Oh I hear ya, if it was for me that list would have: Dead Kennedys, minor threat, bad brains, 7 seconds, uniform choice, agent orange, JFA, youth of today, Maiden/priest/the big 4 thrash bands etc.

OK, you're awesome.

Bad Brains is enough...

But JFA. I don't ever expect anyone to mention that one. My first skateboard was a JFA.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? edit: Wait, I lied. First board was a Veriflex. Then a hand me down paisley JFA. Good times
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 04:27:51 PM by stray »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #156 on: November 13, 2009, 10:57:09 PM

Yeah, well if I was going to play my list from the 80s it would include some Social D, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Agent Orange, Clash and so on.  Instead, I have to do a party for screaming drunk women.  Not such a bad thing, but certainly not an Iron Maiden type shindig.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #157 on: November 14, 2009, 03:31:28 AM

90's Social D > 80's Social D   :P

edit: Accidentally insulted Mike Ness.. Deleting that.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 03:36:25 AM by stray »
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: November 14, 2009, 07:59:38 AM

90's Social D > 80's Social D   :P
I don't know... I am still a huge fan of Mommy's Little Monster.  Their 90's output has definitely been stellar though.  It was awesome seeing them play the entire MLM album all the way through at a show a few years back.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #159 on: November 14, 2009, 01:43:02 PM

Mommy's Little Monster is absolutely excellent, but so is the later stuff.  It was essentially two different bands, really.  Ness developed a taste for country and Social D definitely benefited from it. 
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #160 on: November 14, 2009, 03:09:08 PM

Yeah, my "insult" was that he sort of became the punk rock Springsteen. hah.. But it's a compliment. Both are sort of working class hero dudes. I just didn't want it taken the wrong way. In fact, I think they have a lot of respect for each other or something.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 03:17:34 PM by stray »
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #161 on: November 15, 2009, 12:45:53 AM

Any Wim Mertens fans around these parts? If so, I have a question for you.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #162 on: November 16, 2009, 06:22:53 AM

On my return, the following were waiting for me:

Ultravox - Vienna (remastered definitive edition)
Nosound - A Sense of Loss (CD + DVD-A special edition)
Amplifier - Eternity (limited edition of 500, individually personalised, and they threw in a promo copy of their first album too)
Red Snapper - A Pale Blue Dot (in an excellent hand-made sleeve with plastic and card tags)
North Atlantic Oscillation - Callsigns EP (debut EP by pure dead brilliant Scottish shoegazy-psych-pop band)
Bass Communion - Loss (super rare original vinyl pressing with hand cut perfumed cover)
Bass Communion - Litany (more rare vinyl)
No-Man - Schoolyard Ghosts (limited edition vinyl with exclusive 7" single)

The last three I bought used from a collector who needed to sell some stuff. The box set of In The Court of the Crimson King still hasn't surfaced. A bunch of stuff was released while I was away - I need to get back on the case and order more good shit.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: November 16, 2009, 07:11:58 AM

I have to do a party for screaming drunk women. 
80s...screaming drunk women...I'm an expert in that field.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Get you some Poison, Bon Jovi, Crüe, Warrant, etc. People slag Poison for the glam thing, but they are wicked party music.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: November 17, 2009, 09:46:14 AM

On the topic of trying to find some new metal now that I'm apparently extremely picky about it, Amazon recommended Baroness based on my purchase of Crack the Skye, so I hit up the tube to listen to their albums. Both went directly to the wishlist, the Red Album in particular was  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: November 17, 2009, 10:44:57 AM

On the topic of trying to find some new metal now that I'm apparently extremely picky about it, Amazon recommended Baroness based on my purchase of Crack the Skye, so I hit up the tube to listen to their albums. Both went directly to the wishlist, the Red Album in particular was  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Get both Red Album and Blue Record. You will not regret it. The vast majority of metal leaves me cold, but there's something in Baroness' southern sludge/proggy sound that makes me crave it. They're fucking amazing, they know it, but they're humble enough to not beat you to death with virtuosity and instead write astonishingly great songs, something I wish a lot of competant but noodle-wankery obsessed bands would do.

Also, for a slightly more primitive/oldschool fantasy metal fun-time crossed with the above, check out The Sword. Here's a nice little riff-as-bludgeoning-tool number, Freya

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: November 17, 2009, 12:28:37 PM

If you have not bought Slayer's "World Painted Blood" and claim to like metal, you are missing out.

Ok, so I have heard it. It is slayer. But it sounds like Reign in blood slayer with out the awesome tracks. IMO.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: November 17, 2009, 05:12:17 PM

But it sounds like Reign in blood slayer with out the awesome tracks. IMO.
Eh, I like it better than anything they did since Seasons (except the last one).  Slayer fans are strange I guess...
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #168 on: November 17, 2009, 06:08:34 PM

Get both Red Album and Blue Record. You will not regret it. The vast majority of metal leaves me cold, but there's something in Baroness' southern sludge/proggy sound that makes me crave it. They're fucking amazing, they know it, but they're humble enough to not beat you to death with virtuosity and instead write astonishingly great songs, something I wish a lot of competant but noodle-wankery obsessed bands would do.

Last.fm recommendations got me into them a while ago. That's as competent a summary of them as I've heard. Apart from the spelling of competent.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #169 on: November 18, 2009, 02:09:44 AM

Moving on from Slayer, I heard Them Crooked Vultures the other day and it's growing on me. John Paul Jones, Dave Grohl and Josh Homme laying down a groove.

New Fang is the only single thus far.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: November 18, 2009, 09:28:44 AM

Wow, thanks for the heads up on that. Not the greatest stuff, but not bad (I'm not the biggest post-Kyuss Homme fan). It's so wicked to see JPJ having fun and being relevant! With Page off in who knows where, Plant doing adult contemporary (and Ann Wilson doing his Zep stuff better than he can), Jonesy is out there kicking ass. He always was the odd man out in Zep, so I guess it makes sense. And Dave back on drums, he's got to enjoy that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1ISnz7LQDk&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EipCDJAlh_U
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: November 18, 2009, 03:33:44 PM

But it sounds like Reign in blood slayer with out the awesome tracks. IMO.
Eh, I like it better than anything they did since Seasons (except the last one).  Slayer fans are strange I guess...
I listened to it, but it didn't catch me either. Then again, I've never been much of a Slayer fan. It's exceptionally (maybe even exceptional) Slayer, but essentially I think it's an album for the already converted.

Personally I'm currently listening to Dark Funeral - Angelus Exuro Pro Eternus, which is turning out to be a pretty great album. It's still not Diabolis Interium, but hey, that's kinda an unrealistic expectation. wink

The single, My Funeral is simply quite breathtaking.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: November 18, 2009, 04:49:45 PM

I used to think Creed was terrible music and a bunch of pretentious fucktards that no one should be listening to.

Now I KNOW they are pretentious fucktards.

Long story short, for the past year, one of my tasks at work is to deal with DMCA takedown notices. In that year (previous to last week) I think I have seen 50 notices tops for music, most everything is movies and software. I have gotten no less than 20 notices come through per day for Creed's new album since the day after it was released.

I don't know what is worse: 1) the fact that people buy Creed albums willingly. 2) that people are downloading it to listen to it at all. or 3) That people are willing to let other people know they have Creed's new album by sharing it on the internet.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #173 on: November 18, 2009, 05:16:37 PM

if you are digging baroness, it would be worth checking out Rwake... definately youtube it, as it is a bit of a stretch.. but Rwake is a great band. Oh and Clutch as well though they don't fit the bill as "metal".

hmmm  Amorphis and Katatonia are worth checking out as well... both released steller 2009 albums.

yeah Baroness is  DRILLING AND MANLINESS X20 

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: November 19, 2009, 06:52:38 AM

Clutch, there's a name I haven't heard in years. I've seen them a few times, back when we were having festivals here and once when they opened for Limp Bizkit on their first or second album tour. Yeah, yeah Bizkit whatever, I liked them for a couple albums and their guitarist is/was amazing.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: