Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 10:04:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 830772 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1960 on: September 15, 2014, 06:48:38 AM

I don't understand how you could ever think I meant that!  How long have you known me?  By now you must have realised that genitalia of any sort is about the ONLY thing I don't put in my mouth!  Yes, I meant something entirely different.  I used to work in artist management.  The company I worked for also owned three nightclubs so I got to see a lot of artists, mostly for work, but every once in a while I'd get to go to a show just for me.  My boss also managed some athletes so I have an intimate, yet VERY un-biblical knowledge of many musicians and hockey players.  Hockey players are flakier than musicians.  Anyway, geez, thanks a lot, Cyrrex!   ACK!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1961 on: September 16, 2014, 01:11:58 AM

I was never aware of exactly what you did for these musicians, only that you were around them and that you were doing...stuff.  Stuff can mean lots of things (by the way, BJs are extremely un-biblical) .  Honest mistake!

Either that or I was just having fun at your expense, for roughly the one thousandth time.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1962 on: September 16, 2014, 06:33:47 AM

I saw the butthole surfers in a bar in 86, such an amazing show. Rembrandt Pussyhorse remains one of my favorite albums of all time, I still listen to it in the truck every now and again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waJ3Zolxtpw

The stage I saw them on was even smaller than this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiyG0Ly6eFs

We just had a big local music fest with a few bigger acts. The  local acts mostly blew them out of the water, imo. Some great metal, rap and bluegrass.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1963 on: September 16, 2014, 08:55:18 AM

I've somewhat become obsessed with the song "Since You've Been Gone" and think it is one of the better rock songs ever written.

Wait, by who? Kelly Clarkson?

Edit: Oh you mean this. Thank the lord. Thought Aba was going girly. Was going to have to request that his Swanson avatar be removed.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:58:14 AM by Engels »

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1964 on: September 16, 2014, 08:56:34 AM

I've somewhat become obsessed with the song "Since You've Been Gone" and think it is one of the better rock songs ever written.

Wait, by who? Kelly Clarkson?

I'm hoping he means the Rainbow version.

Edit: You caught it yourself... good.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:59:11 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1965 on: September 20, 2014, 12:23:14 PM

In what is sure to become known in future times as 'quite a good week for music', some sensitive, hairy men This Will Destroy You write wordless eulogies to fallen Titans and prove that they are not just also-rans in the Post-Rock/Doom race. Another Language is almost impossibly beautiful in its emotional range. At times monolithic in sound, dwindling down to distant crackles of static but never once feeling overwrought or beholden to climax, songs can either end abruptly, suddenly leaving you poised over a void, or merge seamlessly into another with no change of pace. Disorienting and gorgeous.

New Topia

For those who like their bloops extra bleepy, Aphex Twin returns after a 13 year haitus (if you don't count all the other projects Richard D. James has released in that time) with Syro, a muscular electro future-funk workout that sounds like he walked into the studio the day after Drukqs was released and decided to make a Prince album using only algorithms and the golden ratio. And every synth he could cobble together like McGuyver in a bank vault of diodes and patch wires. The dynamics are incredible; this is not a limp return to pastures well trodden so much as an exorcism of his own sound - it's a great jumping on point for anyone interested in Aphex Twin but daunted by the exhaustive SAW II or the indecipherable experimentation of Drukqs. James promises to get a lot weirder with the next release.

minipops 67 [120.2][source field mix]
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 12:38:35 PM by Mattemeo »

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1966 on: September 20, 2014, 01:01:38 PM

The self-titled This Will Destroy You album is very good, too.  I haven't dug into their other stuff yet, but this new one seems very much worth a few listens.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1967 on: September 22, 2014, 02:24:23 PM

A Three-Legged Workhorse remains one of my all time favourite post-rock songs. Right up there with other pure lump-in-the-throat instrumentals like EitS's Six Days at the Bottom of the Ocean.
This Will Destroy You never seem to get the praise Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, Mono etc get. Hopefully the new album will make some waves.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 02:26:48 PM by Mattemeo »

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1968 on: September 22, 2014, 07:19:06 PM

Ran into these guys on an NPR show, there's something appealing about death metal without lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qciRxrlTFGc

- Viin
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1969 on: September 24, 2014, 12:35:28 PM

I would not call that death metal.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #1970 on: September 24, 2014, 12:47:53 PM

probably more of a Djent band, I enjoyed it

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1971 on: September 29, 2014, 12:19:20 PM

Mastodon's new video is pretty great (and NSFW): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp7CYvh8FwA
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #1972 on: October 01, 2014, 01:14:56 PM

Prince is an awesome troll.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/228844/prince-held-a-facebook-qa-and-immediately-trolled-everyone/

I suspect the only question he answered was one of his minions sockpuppeting (or even himself), and the whole thing was some kind of bizarro Princeplan to preach about the gold standard.

edit: Can't mention Prince without linking this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LhcParuzpc
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 01:17:48 PM by penfold »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1973 on: October 04, 2014, 10:25:50 AM

Saw the best band I've seen in a long time last night. Funk rock, so I figure it's pretty self-explanatory, but they cover several genres and having that funk rhythm section with a pair of rock lead guitarists was pretty amazing. They played for around three hours and there was no low point in the entire set, tight and entertaining the whole night. Takes a lot to impress me, so if you get a chance to check these guys out, I highly recommend it!

They're out of VT, so I'd guess most of their gigs are in the northeast.

https://www.facebook.com/GangofThieves
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1974 on: October 04, 2014, 10:33:05 AM

Listened to all of their recorded stuff.  Very tight band.  Unfortunately, they have that live act sound.  I can see them being amazing live, but it just doesn't translate well in the studio.  Their recorded stuff comes off very flat and one-dimensional. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1975 on: October 05, 2014, 06:23:25 AM

Strange Hours - Recoil

Diamanda Galas is this weeks obsession.  She's TERRIFYING!!

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1976 on: October 05, 2014, 12:02:51 PM

I've been (re-)listening to Ne Obliviscaris- Portal of I in preparation for their new album coming next month.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #1977 on: October 05, 2014, 04:23:58 PM

Strange Hours - Recoil

Diamanda Galas is this weeks obsession.  She's TERRIFYING!!

The Greek band Rotting Christ took her song Orders From the Dead and added music to it... it is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CW3BrPHeCE

the song is about the Greek genocide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_genocide
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 04:28:18 PM by Fraeg »

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1978 on: October 05, 2014, 06:46:10 PM

Listened to all of their recorded stuff.  Very tight band.  Unfortunately, they have that live act sound.  I can see them being amazing live, but it just doesn't translate well in the studio.  Their recorded stuff comes off very flat and one-dimensional. 
Absolutely. They need to do some live recording, I told the bassist/manager that. My buddy bought the cd but I knew how that was going to go.

But live, imagine Duane Allman and Jimmy Page sitting in with Flea and Chad, it was bonkers. So tight, and they medlied the shit out of things, stringing together dozens of tunes and rarely even breaking between full songs. Definitely a band with their shit together.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1979 on: October 05, 2014, 06:48:26 PM

Diamanda Galas is this weeks obsession.  She's TERRIFYING!!
Her vibrato is, anyway. Reminiscent of Tina Turner's warble. Do not like.

Too bad, her timbre is amazing.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1980 on: October 06, 2014, 02:39:57 PM

Mastodon's new video is pretty great (and NSFW): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp7CYvh8FwA

Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart but wtf is up with the twerking. Makes no sense at all.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1981 on: October 06, 2014, 02:49:43 PM

I thought all music videos were required by law to have twerking these days.

Also, I welcome our new twerking overlords because MERCY.

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1982 on: October 06, 2014, 04:20:40 PM

Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart but wtf is up with the twerking. Makes no sense at all.

According to the interviews I've read, it was added because it's the last thing you'd expect to see in a metal video, particularly from a 'serious' band like Mastadon. 

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1983 on: October 06, 2014, 04:39:25 PM

Well they got that fucking right. I mean, its ok, because the song is so kick ass they could have farting unicorns and I'd still love it, but seriously people...

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1984 on: October 06, 2014, 07:25:01 PM

Eh, the slow motion thing was a bit  ACK!, other than that, it didn't bother me.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1985 on: October 08, 2014, 03:35:54 PM

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 04:51:37 PM by Furiously »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1986 on: October 20, 2014, 01:26:56 PM

The Slipnuts are streaming their new album http://www.5thegraychapter.com/xix I think the first track's vocals sound like Linkin Park...wtf? But then it's the 'Nuts being loud so that's cool. edit: Unsurprisingly it's a brutal and awesome album.

In unrelated news, I now have the tracks from my band's old demo in digital form after 25 years. It's so rough (I had been playing bass maybe 8 months!) but my old guitarist and I are loving this nostalgia trip. Especially being able to hear our departed singer clearly for maybe the first time ever.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:44:32 PM by Sky »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1987 on: October 21, 2014, 11:17:26 AM

I was bored and decided to look up some old bands and see what happened to them.  THIS is what happened to Men Without Hats.   ACK!  He used to frolic happily though the meadows dancing with the villagers!  Now he's SO angry. 

Not satisfied with that horror, I moved on.  Dexys Midnight Runners.  As far as I know, they sing this every time they're on TV.  HERE'S their big song off their album in 2012.  Yes, I said 2012!  It's more like a musical theatre number I think. 

I have to try and keep from becoming bored again.  I think I'll take up felting and make odd finger puppets.  I'll send you all some.  Srsly.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1988 on: October 22, 2014, 04:43:14 PM

I don't post in this thread often, but I really love this music video, and being in the style of a slasher movie it's seasonally appropriate.

FartBarf - Homeless in Heathrow

I'd never heard of FartBarf until I saw them open for Nerf Herder a few weeks ago and I became an instant fan; they were better than the headliners IMO.  They wear ridiculous caveman masks and do stuff with low-tech synth.  It's awesome.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1989 on: October 28, 2014, 09:06:17 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1990 on: October 28, 2014, 11:45:16 AM

That song has never sounded or looked better.  why so serious?

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1991 on: October 28, 2014, 01:56:17 PM

Like steak and creme brule, I love my Gwar, I love my Pet Shop Boys, but the two do not mix. LIke, bleaarrgh.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1992 on: October 29, 2014, 12:02:49 PM

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1993 on: October 30, 2014, 08:43:04 AM

A big thanks to Motley Crue for lighting off full on report fireworks in a small arena about a hundred feet from our seats. I didn't need to hear things, anyway.

Fun show, but not worth a lifetime of ear damage.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1994 on: October 30, 2014, 09:03:37 AM

The first time I saw Red Fang it likely did permanent damage.  I got back to 'normal' after about two weeks, but day three and four were pretty scary. 

Heal fast, man!
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: