Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 08:34:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 830755 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1855 on: February 26, 2014, 07:54:36 AM

The really badass song "Salt" by the band Leprous in a creepy little short film/video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKoL-sfT2UY

You have now changed what I had queued up in Spotify. Thank you.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1856 on: February 26, 2014, 01:09:19 PM

Bah, Paco de Lucia died at 66.

This album was so influential, I still listen to it and learn from it now. I was lucky enough as a kid to have somehow gotten a copy when it was released and wore out at least one tape of it. It was one of the first things I upgraded to CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlaCZ106b5w

(Al Dimeola is no slouch either, but uses a pick)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 01:27:59 PM by Sky »
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #1857 on: February 26, 2014, 01:59:37 PM

I love love love the first two Portishead albums.  I saw them at a little club in Orlando and they did a great version of Glory Box, much better than the one on the New York live album in my opinion.  I hated the third album, though.

Nothing to do with Portishead, here's some songs from the 70s I've heard recently that I like:

The Cramps - Human Fly
The video says 1984 but Human Fly was originally released as a single in 1978.

B-52s - 52 Girls

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
In honor of season 2 of The Americans starting up this week.

The Three Degrees - Collage

Over and out.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1858 on: February 26, 2014, 02:13:53 PM

Bah, Paco de Lucia died at 66.

This album was so influential, I still listen to it and learn from it now. I was lucky enough as a kid to have somehow gotten a copy when it was released and wore out at least one tape of it. It was one of the first things I upgraded to CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlaCZ106b5w

(Al Dimeola is no slouch either, but uses a pick)

I played this album to death too. I guess they all have to die at some stage, but bleh.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1859 on: March 10, 2014, 01:07:32 PM

Amazon is running a March is Metal promo with a bunch of mp3 stuff at decent prices. Just had to snag some stuff to freshen up the collection a bit:

Murder The Mountains Red Fang
Australasia Pelican
Legend Witchcraft
Witchcraft  Witchcraft
Volition  Protest The Hero
From the Ages Earthless
Apocryphon The Sword
Opus Eponymous Ghost
Infestissumam  Ghost B.C.
Warp Riders  The Sword

I'm not sure if my favorite so far is Earthless (I almost formed a jam metal band in the early 00s) or the earlier Witchcraft disc with its lo-fi production. And the Earthless one was under $4! I miss the packaging, but hey.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1860 on: March 10, 2014, 03:15:15 PM

It's like you've drilled directly into the metal side of my brain. 

Try Dozer if you don't know them.  Swedish stoner metal.

Through the Eyes of Heathens Dozer

Also, my buddy listens to Red Fang a lot and his 2yr old daughter absolutely loves them.  He took her down to Portland's School of Rock to meet them so she's got her picture taken with Bryan.  They had a good time and so he enrolled her in a toddler's School of Rock here in Seattle.  For her final performance she wouldn't sing until he started singing Blood Like Cream, at which point she started singing the song super loud.  Too funny.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1861 on: March 10, 2014, 07:15:15 PM

School of Rock has been nagging me to open a franchise for a couple years now :)

As far as that list, some of it I've been exposed to via Rocksmith (Red Fang), some word of mouth (Ghost, The Sword) and the others were just spending the day working on the server with a bunch of amazon mp3 store tabs open listening to previews. It's so nice that the tide has come in again for melodic vocal metal.

Here's a thing: if NY legalizes marijuana, I'm going to put together a new metal band. I already know the first calls I'll make. And the second calls. I've got a good list of old farts who can kick the shit out of a jam. Then the old lady will probably leave me, hah.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1862 on: March 24, 2014, 07:34:46 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1863 on: March 24, 2014, 09:53:15 AM

What the hell with those guys dropping so young?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1864 on: March 24, 2014, 10:15:43 AM

There's a lot of people who like GWAR more than I do but I'm really glad I had the opportunity to see them.  Very memorable experience and sad to see him gone. 
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1865 on: March 24, 2014, 11:55:19 AM

Steven Wilson - Drive Home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycYewhiaVBk

Good song. Good video.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1866 on: March 24, 2014, 03:17:56 PM

What the hell with those guys dropping so young?

30 years of going from a no one from Richmond VA, to Metal gods ( They were considered Gods TO Metal and Punk Gods ) and all the tours and lifestyle that came with it. Writer, Lyricist, Painter, Sculptor, front man thing, philanthropist . Many bands owe them everything, GWAR gave many, MANY bands their first break. My God has died. For me, GWAR, and Dave Brockie made me who I am, for better or worse. They always inspired me. The Humor, the Satire of our culture, the Depth of an artist who knew no bounds and came from some speck in Richmond to create an empire. Someone who always pushed the limits.

I Am a Bohab.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1867 on: April 01, 2014, 08:02:06 AM

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1868 on: April 01, 2014, 10:34:51 AM

Is there a link to the whole March Is Metal promo page? Amazon seems to be hiding it pretty well.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1869 on: April 01, 2014, 12:33:18 PM

It's April.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1870 on: April 02, 2014, 11:10:26 AM

This album still sounds so good. Probably my favorite 'punk' album.

FEAR - The Record

MAH BABY IS A TALKABOUTALOWDOWNSCAGGYDOO
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1871 on: April 02, 2014, 11:22:10 AM

For me the best punk album will always be

Dead Kennedys - In God We Trust Inc: Side A Side B

I still have the vinyl and actually listen to it every now and then  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #1872 on: April 26, 2014, 04:23:14 PM

friend turned me onto Big Freedia which is about as upbeat as you can get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEqZ7p-7TD8

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #1873 on: April 27, 2014, 03:32:56 AM

I've mainly been listening to drum and bass recently, in particular some MC heavy mixes and tunes from Erb n Dub, and mixes from Kool FM, a local radio station that I've been listening to for years. My old skool hardcore is still going strong too, I find it amazing that kids are still out raving to the same 1990-1995 tunes I was, and the old skool market is still strong enough to support numerous radio stations and club nights/squat raves/warehouse do's.

I've also picked up the new Babymetal album, a completely bonkers j-pop/metal fusion act, although watching the vids leaves me with the sneaking suspicion I might end up on a register somewhere I love the music itself.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nDqaTXqCN-Q&feature=kp

And I recently 'discovered' Chthonic, a Taiwanese melodeath act incorporating traditional Chinese instruments , which I loved and promptly bought the entire back catalog, although the most recent stuff is my favourite.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=a5z-AOdCAx8

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 03:34:37 AM by penfold »
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #1874 on: April 29, 2014, 10:25:30 AM

Cool to see Cthonic get a mention.   I saw them open for Dimmu awhile back,  band put on a great show,  and were very cool chatting with folks after the show.   The female bass player was a stunner

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1875 on: May 06, 2014, 03:46:43 PM

Dunno if Drakengard 3 will be a good game, but the sound director did the music for Nier, too. 

http://www.drakengardgame.com/ look at media for 30s snippets.  Good stuff, if you liked Nier's soundtrack.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #1876 on: May 06, 2014, 06:08:57 PM

Agalloch's new album streaming on.... NPR     I don't even know what emoticon to use for the fact that NPR is streaming this

http://www.npr.org/2014/05/04/308273140/first-listen-agalloch-the-serpent-the-sphere

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #1877 on: May 07, 2014, 10:50:58 AM

Since penfold mentioned it, I went to a Drum and Bass gig recently with Sub Focus, Wilkinson, Matrix and Futurebound, B-traits and My Nu Leng.

Not my favourite music but some of the stuff I like (which is probably less DnB-y).

Sub Focus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8vlk1UR99k
Wilkinson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWdYThgjDmU
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1878 on: May 12, 2014, 12:11:51 AM

Just saw Rodrigo y Gabriela, jesus.  Guitars will be sold tomorrow all across Seattle. 

Beyond having sheer natural talent, I can only imagine they have guitars in their hands for 16 hours a day. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1879 on: May 12, 2014, 11:20:46 AM

They postponed a show here and the reschedule was while I was in TX. I was pretty pissed.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1880 on: May 18, 2014, 05:36:16 PM

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1881 on: May 19, 2014, 08:41:22 AM

Have you listened to the new Lacuna Coil album? I was so disappointed after their seminal album Karmacode. Shallow Life was indeed shallow. I have not even touched Dark Adrenaline, much less this one. I'm not ready to be disappointed again. This single sounds pretty good; not omgwtfbbq but good.

Edit: found the album on the youtube. Listening to it now. Massive improvement. Not sure if Karmacode good, but at least interesting.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:01:58 AM by Engels »

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1882 on: May 19, 2014, 06:00:31 PM

The only album I own of theirs is Karmacode.  I've bought the songs I like from Comalies, but not the album.  The only reason I've heard of them was they've performed with some bands I really like, such as SOAD and In Flames and watched those shows online.  I really do like the new album though and will probably buy bits and pieces of it.

By the way, In Flames has a new album coming out in this summer, I think.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1883 on: May 19, 2014, 07:03:41 PM

The only album of theirs I liked and bought was In A Reverie.  The ones after just weren't the same or "good" to me and they weren't much fun to see live either sadly.  I guess that makes me old.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1884 on: May 20, 2014, 09:12:57 AM

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1885 on: May 28, 2014, 11:53:15 AM

New vintage Sabbath footage, with War Pigs featuring completely different lyrics!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6l0Co3EE6k#t=94

And there is a new PMJB featuring Puddles!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9ilBHkH9Io
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1886 on: May 29, 2014, 07:37:35 AM

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1887 on: June 19, 2014, 06:59:24 AM

What is with all the concerts when I'm trying to conserve money?

Horton Heat in Syracuse tonight, but I'll probably skip that as I need to travel (back to Syracuse, ironically) at 7am tomorrow...Then King Buzzo is doing an acoustic thing that is surprisingly good (he does Lysol stuff!), Circa Survive (both of these also in Syracuse) and then Gogol Bordello in Albany!

Horton Heat
Buzzo acoustic set
Circa Survive
Gogol acoustic set
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #1888 on: June 19, 2014, 02:35:20 PM

Mastodon's new album, Once More 'Round the Sun, is available early on Spotify.

Fanboy mode engage!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1889 on: June 19, 2014, 02:45:17 PM

I'm not seeing it. Are you Euro?

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: