Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:12:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815314 times)
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #980 on: February 09, 2012, 04:48:36 PM

After having got dumped, I found this little music gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMzb2hHtnhQ&feature=bf_next&list=FLTPER1m3fLNB04xBkMYHDQA&lf=plpp_video

Has hit potential.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #981 on: February 10, 2012, 07:05:55 AM

Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #982 on: February 10, 2012, 07:56:32 AM

Hi guys I just escaped from the MMO forums!

Last 10 songs on shuffle play:

Taxman - Thr33
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Flash Bang Granada - In a Perfect World
Eon - The Spice
LL Cool J - Mr. Good Bar
Funkadelic - I Bet You
Candy's .22 - Intro
Depeche Mode - Photographic
Suicidal Tendencies - Memories of Tomorrow
Rachel Sweet - B-A-B-Y

I like too much stuff to really even define what I like.  In the 90s I was a DJ and played at/went to so many events and concerts and partied so hard that I don't remember half of them.  To be sure I find myself going backwards these days more than paying attention to current stuff.  When it comes to new stuff, I really like Arcade Fire and a lot of disposable yet really fun dance music, like Dj Hazard and Flux Pavillion.  Squarepusher might still be our most valuable resource, let's hope the aliens notice him while contemplating our doom.

I came to the conclusion recently that the TAMI Show, and most specifically James Brown's Night Train performance, was the peak of our civilization. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DmlRK5RWNA
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #983 on: February 10, 2012, 08:40:55 AM

I'd say Bach was the peak of western musical civilization, but James Brown is one of my favorites, too. Say it Live and Loud is one of my favorite albums.

Right now in my CD changer in the truck:

Johnnie Taylor - Live at the Summit Club
Andres Segovia - Art of Segovia disc 1&2
Louis Armstrong - Hot Fives & Sevens discs 1&4
Cantiga - A Village in Motion
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #984 on: February 10, 2012, 09:48:55 AM

Lips are goddamn amazing.  At war, Yoshimi and Embryonic are three utterly amazing albums.  Embryonic is to modern rock what Miles Davis's Bitches Brew is to jazz.

Lips are amazing, because some of their stuff is trash, utter waste.  Other stuff was written by aliens or something.  Either way, they are constantly pushing music in new directions. 
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #985 on: February 10, 2012, 12:55:32 PM

Lips are goddamn amazing.  At war, Yoshimi and Embryonic are three utterly amazing albums.  Embryonic is to modern rock what Miles Davis's Bitches Brew is to jazz.

Lips are amazing, because some of their stuff is trash, utter waste.  Other stuff was written by aliens or something.  Either way, they are constantly pushing music in new directions. 

Yea the famous "Vaseline" was seemingly the only thing we were going to hear from them, and then suddenly Yoshimi and At War were so incredible.  I'll have to take a closer listen to Embryonic, I just skipped through it.

I've seen them live twice and it's quite an experience.  Their documentary, "The Fearless Freaks" made me like them even more. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #986 on: February 13, 2012, 06:50:07 AM

Embryonic is to modern rock what Miles Davis's Bitches Brew is to jazz.
ACK!

I knew there was something I didn't like about them. I love jazz, but not what most people call jazz. It took me decades to learn there was such a thing as good jazz because my jazzy guitar friends were all into that album...

Give me some Count Basie or Django over Miles any day.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #987 on: February 13, 2012, 07:34:52 AM

I have only put maybe one total passive listen to Bitches Brew, so I'm not a huge fan.  But I respect what it did for music, for jazz.  I can't look at early Pink Floyd, or Radiohead's middle works without seeing how they pushed music into fully new territories.  There's lots more people who pushed music, and obviously I can't name them all here, but the four listed here stand out as amazing pieces of work.

Not taking anything away from Count Basie or Django (though I'm not familiar with Django). 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #988 on: February 13, 2012, 11:30:11 AM

I really disagree, but it's not worth debating.

Instead, let's agree on something:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B006UFGZL2

Cthulu
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #989 on: February 13, 2012, 12:49:46 PM

"Pushing" music doesn't necessarily make it good.  I do like Embryonic though.  It's a great album.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #990 on: February 13, 2012, 08:30:16 PM

I really disagree, but it's not worth debating.

Instead, let's agree on something:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B006UFGZL2

Cthulu

I am a music snob to the nth degree, but I try really hard to not shit on music anyone enjoys.  I promise not to debate, but I am interested in why you disagree.  Was it the artist choices?

No biggie - I managed a record store in the early to mid-90s, so I'll talk music all day long.  My early life was a lot like the movie High Fidelity, just without Jack Black and all the women issues. 
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #991 on: February 13, 2012, 09:09:18 PM

Just saw Vektor live in one of the best dive bars I've ever been to (burt's tiki lounge in salt lake).

They kill.  The perfect level of technicality and fun.  Voivod would be proud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUEN6Hkrc9M

« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 10:40:47 PM by trias_e »
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #992 on: February 15, 2012, 12:05:29 AM

Yea the famous "Vaseline" was seemingly the only thing we were going to hear from them, and then suddenly Yoshimi and At War were so incredible.  I'll have to take a closer listen to Embryonic, I just skipped through it.

I've seen them live twice and it's quite an experience.  Their documentary, "The Fearless Freaks" made me like them even more. 

I highly recommend checking out their early noisier stuff, there a couple of albums that are (if I am being very nice) challenging.  If you can find a copy of In A Priest Driven Ambulance grab it.  My favorite album of theirs by leaps and bounds.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #993 on: February 15, 2012, 07:41:49 AM

See, I'm not into noise or challenging. To me, once you get into that realm you've left the realm of music. I enjoy every genre to some degree, and can appreciate a lot of stuff I don't necessarily like (my fiancee's favorite band is Steely Dan). But the bands that push the boundaries often push it too far, like early floyd. Once they learned where the boundary was and pulled back, they became a good band. It might have been a necessary process for them as a band, but it doesn't make for good listening. There are definitely some awesome moments but listening to a full album is not pleasant until Meddle (depending on how you feel about howling dogs, I guess). It's hard to believe they put that out before Obscured by Clouds.

If you enjoy listening to it, that's great. I don't have time for music that's going to just hammer on shit, it annoys me whether it's random jazz notes on Bitches' Brew, samples on Frances the Mute (otherwise one of my favorite albums, but stuff like the extended end of The Widow are nonsense), psychedelia on Ummagumma. I guess maybe it's connected to why I despise cookie monster metal vocals, it ruins otherwise great music with non-musical bullshit.

I was into Kid A-era Radiohead for a while, totally blown away by their performance on SNL of all places. But it gets pretty old pretty quick and I vastly prefer their mellow stuff like acoustic Creep or True Love Waits off the live disc. The live disc is the only one I ever listen to anymore.

/ramble
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #994 on: February 15, 2012, 11:38:59 AM

Look at me, not devolving this entire thread into an argument about what is 'non-musical'. Although I have to agree the Cookie Monster vocals are pretty stupid.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #995 on: February 15, 2012, 12:18:45 PM

Look at me, not devolving this entire thread into an argument about what is 'non-musical'. Although I have to agree the Cookie Monster vocals are pretty stupid.

I happen to like "If Moon Was Cookie" thank you very much.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #996 on: February 15, 2012, 12:28:04 PM

Pablo Honey and The Bends are, quite oddly, underrated albums in the Radiohead library. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #997 on: February 15, 2012, 01:11:38 PM

I'm including links for the bystanders who might not know some of the music being discussed.

And really, despite my reluctance to enter into the discussion, it IS the music thread, so a discussion of music is on-topic. At least a break from metal videos.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #998 on: February 15, 2012, 01:14:12 PM

I take a pretty hard line on it. If you make noise intending for it to be music, then it is music. The quality of the execution, or whether it may or may not be to my personal taste, is irrelevant.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #999 on: February 15, 2012, 01:37:35 PM

/ramble

Nah, that's great opinions.  The initial Floyd stuff is okay, but I agree that Meddle is really where Floyd becomes 'listenable', with Meddle and Animals by favorites albums (I actually really like the Division Bell, too, though maybe shouldn't have been an actual Floyd album). 

Thanks for the reply.  Its a shame you feel KidA got old, I personally think it is a timeless album, maybe one of the best ever written.  Not that I listen to it every day.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1000 on: February 15, 2012, 05:41:23 PM

I take a pretty hard line on it. If you make noise intending for it to be music, then it is music. The quality of the execution, or whether it may or may not be to my personal taste, is irrelevant.
It depends on how much of it is "intending for it to be music" vs. "this is a cool thing that makes noise, let's record it for 15 minutes and call it a song!"  Frank Zappa did quite a bit of the former, especially early on while Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" is what I would qualify as the latter and I find annoying personally.

I can totally respect artists that I don't really care for (Radiohead after The Bends, cookie monster metal, etc) but tend to draw the line on recorded noise being "music" if I can't really get inside or my head around what the artist was trying to accomplish or say.  And yes, I do realize that some artists are deliberately obscure in their meanings and whatnot.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #1001 on: February 19, 2012, 12:19:28 AM

New Sleigh Bells album on the way and here is the first single:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXP4Rhu5pJo

Having heard a little of each song on the album they could've chosen a better song.  I heard some lukewarm reviews of their SNL appearance tonight, which I didn't catch.  Looking forward to listening to the album as loudly as possible though, just like the first one.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1002 on: February 19, 2012, 07:19:01 AM

Why would you assault my ears like that?

The weird chick last week (Carmen?) was actually pretty decent. Good voice and could rap pretty nicely (certainly better than most of what passes for rappers these days).
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #1003 on: February 19, 2012, 05:58:46 PM

Why would you assault my ears like that?

Because you stopped playing Blood Bowl and I have no other way to assault you now.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1004 on: February 19, 2012, 06:39:30 PM

Just saw the SNL. Countdown to her ditching the almost useless guitarists....

Horrible mix, everything but the drums just sitting in the same freqs fighting each other.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #1005 on: February 20, 2012, 08:02:33 AM

If you enjoy listening to it, that's great. I don't have time for music that's going to just hammer on shit, it annoys me whether it's random jazz notes on Bitches' Brew

I'm just here to tell you you are a bad person.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1006 on: February 22, 2012, 06:21:51 AM

No doubt.

Re-upped my Wolfgang's Vault sub, so that means another $50 worth of $5 FLAC concerts! Today's deal is Santana 1971 at the Fillmore East 6mo after Neal Schon joined. You can stream for free (192 kbps for members), too.

Sorry forgot to mention the Aretha Franklin show that's the adjunct to her live album with King Curtis' band (which also spawned a King Curtis album you should own!) Aretha's full 3-night Fillmore run is up there. The mix on that one (haven't listened to the other two nights yet) is very drum heavy...which is awesome if you're a drummer (most guitarists I know are frustrated drummers, the guitarist in my old band went on to drum for another bay area band)...Bernard Purdie is amazing. Nice lesson in old school soul/funk drumming.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:40:37 AM by Sky »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1007 on: February 22, 2012, 07:50:49 AM

Ok, the new Sleigh Bells starts out kinda meh, but that early release single is on it's own better than pretty much the entire first album, as far as i'm concerned. And "End of the Line" is on heavy, heavy rotation right now.

It's a lot more uneven than the first album, but at it's best, it reminds me of Lush on Meth. At it's worst, it's slightly worse than their first album and that's not bad.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1008 on: February 24, 2012, 08:23:45 PM

Oh man, Maiden at Darien Lake onsale Wed. I was just watching Flight 666 and wondering if they'd ever stop in the area. Serendipity.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1009 on: February 24, 2012, 09:17:41 PM

Maiden is one of the few big bands I'll consider seeing live.  They fucking deliver.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #1010 on: February 24, 2012, 11:18:10 PM

Enjoying the new Sleigh Bells.  It's less "rough" than their first album, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  Songs like Demons pack a nice punch, but I'm not sure if anything quite replaces Infinity Guitars for me.  Then again, it doesn't sound like they were trying to.  There aren't any really catchy tunes like on their first album, but I think, taken as a whole, I like it just a little bit more than Treats.  Hoping they swing by Texas.

Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #1011 on: February 27, 2012, 07:35:46 AM

Just put The Smiths' LOUDER THAN BOMBS in my phone.  People usually look to THE QUEEN IS DEAD as their best, but shit man, LTB is the tops.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1012 on: February 27, 2012, 08:04:40 AM

Just put The Smiths' LOUDER THAN BOMBS in my phone.  People usually look to THE QUEEN IS DEAD as their best, but shit man, LTB is the tops.

I'd have to agree. But  I know the majority of "regular" people (not the actual fans) just heard and liked what was on the radio editions and that is about all they will put up with. The rest of Queen, good luck if anyone heard it all, same with Meat. People heard one or two songs on the radio, bought the single or bought the album, listened to those two or three songs and skipped the rest. Bombs got waved off as a compilation record, and more importantly, a b-sides compilation album which only fans seemed to actually appreciate.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1013 on: February 27, 2012, 09:37:22 AM

Most people just own the Smiths Best I.  If you're a "real fan" you might own the Smith's Best II.  Only creepy weirdo fanboys, those with a picture of Steven Patrick Morrissey tattooed on their ass, own the actual albums.   awesome, for real
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1014 on: February 27, 2012, 11:11:51 AM

I'm definitely in the Queen is Dead best album camp.

Louder than Bombs is a compilation album so it really can't be in the 'best album/worst album' conversation. I don't care what you say Binary!

EDIT: Also it has Golden Lights, which I hate so very, very much.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 11:14:21 AM by Ingmar »

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: