Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:58:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 821676 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2135 on: December 29, 2015, 03:54:24 PM

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #2136 on: December 29, 2015, 08:26:56 PM

They released one classic album, followed by a decent ep/mini album (whatever you wanna call Lies), and a double album full of filler that could have been chopped down into one great album... and then that's about it.  Everything after that is pure meh.

My Give A Fuck Meter for these guys set sail about 20 years ago.

With that said I am sure they will make lots of $$$ which is the whole point.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2137 on: December 30, 2015, 01:32:13 AM

Just saw Red Fang for about the sixth time; tonight was their 10yr anniversary as a band. Loud as fuck, long set. I also got to hear four new songs, which is also awesome because that means they're working on new material.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #2138 on: December 30, 2015, 08:20:10 AM

The article references the rumors/website stuff.

In other news, tickets to Motley Crue on NYE at Staples Center fell into my lap. It is, in theory, their last show ever. Not a huge huge fan, but they were free suite tickets and we wanted to be in LA for NYE anyway.

beer geek.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2139 on: December 30, 2015, 08:26:08 AM

Bring hearing protection. Great show, but they lit off full-on boomers (the loud fireworks thingies, white orbs) inside a small hockey arena here. Way too loud (music was fine), and sent a vet in the row in front of my into PTSD meltdown (huddled down and screaming/crying).
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #2140 on: December 30, 2015, 09:11:47 AM

Bring hearing protection. Great show, but they lit off full-on boomers (the loud fireworks thingies, white orbs) inside a small hockey arena here. Way too loud (music was fine), and sent a vet in the row in front of my into PTSD meltdown (huddled down and screaming/crying).

Good to know. We'll be in a suite at least so it sits back a bit farther in the stadium. I'll bring ear plugs just in case.

beer geek.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2141 on: December 30, 2015, 07:47:47 PM

Performance will last all of 15 minutes before Axl gets pissy and leaves the stage.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

My prediction is along these lines, only with copious amounts of bitching about the backstage buffet through ham-flecked lips.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2142 on: December 31, 2015, 08:51:11 AM

Some video from Lemmy's last show popping up, obviously not the dude's best show ever, but fuck man...if I could stand in there and give a rock show like that two weeks before I kick it at SEVENTY!? Epitome of a rocker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M123gRMtBBM
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #2143 on: December 31, 2015, 10:52:34 AM

Some video from Lemmy's last show popping up, obviously not the dude's best show ever, but fuck man...if I could stand in there and give a rock show like that two weeks before I kick it at SEVENTY!? Epitome of a rocker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M123gRMtBBM

yeah that is painful to watch, but fuck what a beast of a human he was.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #2144 on: January 01, 2016, 09:26:05 PM

Probably a Bloodworth (if that is still a thing  why so serious? )

But I love me some Polysics,  this takes me back to the mid 80s while I was hopping about on a skateboard blasting Devo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7brEuu7bBU

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2145 on: January 01, 2016, 10:11:33 PM

My 80s ramp music was more along the lines of Fear and the Butthole Surfers :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl-wW6RR6iY
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #2146 on: January 04, 2016, 07:13:33 PM

My 80s ramp music was more along the lines of Fear and the Butthole Surfers :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl-wW6RR6iY

Never got into Fear, and the Butthole surfers came later.  In my early teens I was listening to things like Devo, and the punk and metal my older brother and cousins fed me.  In hindsight it is kinda cool to realize that I was at a point/age where I didn't realize that if I listened to A then I "shouldn't" listen to B.   Devo, Maiden, Talking Heads, Judas Priest, 7 Seconds, Bad Brains, my Dad's Eagles records, my mothers Joan Baez.  It was all just music to me. 

Then I got a bit older and that changed  Ohhhhh, I see.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2147 on: January 05, 2016, 09:41:24 AM

Well, the Surfers did come out in 84, I don't remember how I got turned onto them but my dad used to buy me a lot of music (rather, let me buy music). I'd usually hit the imports for metal, but there were a couple really hip places around to get some curated options, I think this was from one of those (Psychic Powerless not too long after release, because I remember buying Rembrandt Pussyhorse upon release because I had been listening to Psychic Powerless so much).
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #2148 on: January 06, 2016, 07:31:09 PM

The only Surfers album I think I really got into in a big way was Locust Abortion Technician.  I mean an album title like that demands you at least check it out.

It is better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't, and by the way if you see your mother this weekend tell her "Satan"  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

*edit* that got me to thinking, dusting off this bad boy by Big Black:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0xCAZLE7c8

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:32:56 PM by Fraeg »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2149 on: January 06, 2016, 08:50:08 PM

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #2150 on: January 11, 2016, 08:22:17 PM

I know Too Many Zooz has gotten some love here recently, this is Too Many Zooz playing with Moon Hooch = Moon Zooz

This is probably some of the heaviest music I have ever heard that has no electric instruments.  at about 1:48 the brass apocalypse occurs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH77nSy0t6Q

penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #2151 on: January 13, 2016, 10:57:30 AM

I'm listening to

- Stuff on Liquicity label. Liquicity defined my sound of 2015, its rare i spend nearly a year listening to one genre only, and rarely has a sub-genre dominated my playlists like the liquid/melodic drum and bass and this label is the source of the some of the best of it.
- Dieselboy mixes. I made it to 2015 without owning any Dieselboy mixes. I don't know how.
- There's a guy called Horton on youtube who does some excellent liquid/melodic/party/anthemic drum and bass mixes, and Ive been converting them to mp3.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2152 on: January 13, 2016, 11:32:25 AM

I've been listening to mostly classical (orchestral) around the house while working on stuff.

In the truck it's Stephane (whom I've linked in this thread many times, heh) and one of his protegés, who released an album last year, Roy Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuqLocca4Gs
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #2153 on: January 25, 2016, 12:34:15 PM

Swedish, Heavy Metal band, although the song itself is quite mild: Ghost - Cirice

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2154 on: January 25, 2016, 01:22:57 PM

Ghost is a veteran of the thread  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm still listening mostly to classical stuff for chores and drawing. The (hot, russian) girl who teaches the painting class listens to ambient electronic stuff. Luckily I listened to a bunch in the 90s, so I can find a groove, but ye gods. I'm reeally not a fan of electronic music...might need to bring headphones and get my Bach on.

I think next year's project will be learning cello or violin...
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2155 on: January 25, 2016, 01:30:46 PM

Yeah, buddy/ Co-worker who's a punk rock musician put me on to Ghost a while back. I'm still not 100% sold on them but they've grown on me quite a bit in the last year. I was surprised to hear them on local radio recently.

Symphonic metal is awesome background music, Sky. Delain, Apocalyptica, Leaves' Eyes, Kamelot, Nightquest. Awesome stuff I've got a spotify station dedicated to it that I use for cycling.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2156 on: January 25, 2016, 05:47:08 PM

Ghost is a veteran of the thread  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hush, and go churn out some scales, Satriani style.   awesome, for real
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #2157 on: January 25, 2016, 07:27:16 PM

Sky might appreciate this:  recently got convinced to revisit the band W.A.S.P. in particular the album The Headless Children.... I will be dipped in acid washed jeans.. this is some great 80s metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0BAtGepxLc

So much better than I ever gave them credit for.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2158 on: January 26, 2016, 08:06:54 AM

Been meaning to pick up Meliora (the new Ghost disc), I had to test out a receipt printer and  oh looky there, the library owns a copy. I forget when my fiancee (our music librarian) asks me about stuff that generally means she'll be adding it. Also snagged a Jamey Johnson disc, we first heard him at Farm Aid and he blew the doors off the place, might have been the best act, musically. Also, there were no doors. And a bluegrass compilation, I fucking love bluegrass. It's like hillbilly speed metal.

Hush, and go churn out some scales, Satriani Segovia style.   awesome, for real
Fixed that for you, old timer. Slowly working on transcribing his scalar method book, on the recommendation of Stephane Wrembel.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:08:39 AM by Sky »
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2159 on: January 26, 2016, 08:13:50 AM

And a bluegrass compilation, I fucking love bluegrass. It's like hillbilly speed metal.

I agree. Bluegrass is underappreciated as an art form. I've seen articles of late whining about how Rock and Metal haven't found a real new direction in 10+ years. There's someplace to start.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2160 on: January 26, 2016, 08:39:43 AM

I have a buddy from college that had a pretty badass Bluegrass-ish band for a bit called the Dixie Bee Liners.  I think they had some relationship issues and the band went south.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2161 on: January 26, 2016, 12:19:30 PM

John 5 did some metalgrass (I just made that up TM), but his arrangements and backing band are boring as hell. It's a shame such a talented guy can't put together a band that can write, but it's a common thing amongst guitarists. There's a local blues guy who is hugely talented but nobody decent wants to play with him because he's only interested in you sitting behind him playing some generic backing track for his wankery. I derive quite a bit of humor from it, actually. Same kind of guys who will say I don't play bass like a bass player (tell that to Steve Harris, the Ox, Lem, Geddy, Cliff, etc etc). Such massive insecurities.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2162 on: February 01, 2016, 06:12:47 PM

bluegrass is great, as long as the singer's mouth(s) is/are taped shut.  that whiny nasal shit is about as musical as a table saw chewing through wet wood.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2163 on: February 02, 2016, 07:08:13 AM

Disagree. I think you mean shitty cookie monster metal garbage  why so serious?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2164 on: February 24, 2016, 07:43:56 AM

How about some live Ghost on Friday? Sure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=315qJJ3Y9uA
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #2165 on: February 28, 2016, 10:45:53 PM

late to the party with this artist:  Lissie

When I'm Alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRlXausKdiQ

and an astonishingly good cover of Danzig's Mother.  Way more sinister than the original IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUmw2iYgFbs

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2166 on: March 04, 2016, 11:54:11 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2167 on: March 04, 2016, 12:15:49 PM

Brilliant!

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2168 on: March 25, 2016, 02:50:07 PM

Amon Amarth's Jomsviking is out! It's actually a concept album, pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw5G6fF-wqQ
Brennik
Terracotta Army

Reply #2169 on: April 01, 2016, 05:55:09 AM

That (black) metal listing in Awesome Pictures Thread reminded me that I should've posted this earlier, somewhere in the top 5 of last year's albums for me personally:

Mgła - Exercises in Futility
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: