Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:25:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Ghostbusters - Terminal Reality - PS3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ghostbusters - Terminal Reality - PS3  (Read 11759 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: October 04, 2009, 02:02:54 AM

An odd game this.  In order to accurately mimic its source material, the developers have put together some pretty unwieldy controls here, since much like the characters in the movie, the game is designed so that you spend as much time accidentally destroying your surroundings as you do actually hitting your target.  If this weren't a game based on the Ghostbusters, I'd likely be panning the spastic fishing game style controls of trying to wrangle a ghost into a trap, but instead the game stands as a fine tribute to the movie, even if it's not a particularly good game.  Honestly, I'm not sure how you could do the controls better and still stay true to the license, so I've been inclined to give them a pass.

I have a few other nitpicks as well.  To start with, while you can't exactly play a game based on a movie from the 80's and complain that it relies to heavily on nostalgia, I do wish they did a little less rehashing of the movie.  A little bit is ok, but in the first few hours of the game that I've played so far see you going to the Hotel and the Library from the movie, as well as fighting the Stay Puft Marshmallow man.  All in all it just feels a little excessive.  It's a little annoying switching back and forth between the PKE meter and regular view also, especially if you're the kind of person that hates passing up all the hidden items.  That's mainly a problem for obsessive types like me.  The other minor complaint I have is the the dialog sometimes feels a little off.  There occasionally seems to be a lack of emotion behind the readings that makes it feel a little wooden at times.

All in all though, as someone who loved Ghostbusters as a kid in the 80's, this game has been a pretty fun experience so far.  There are some funny lines and some interesting back story here.  People who aren't fans can safely skip this game and not miss anything, especially since the game is still near full price most places.  So, my final rating would be:

For (hardcore) fans of the movie:  Buy It!
Everyone else: Avoid It!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 10:33:51 AM

I booted this up again last night at the boy's request (he now wants to be a Ghost Scientist when he grows up).  There was a 59MB download I had to get through, and I wish I knew what that was about.  Anyway, I can't argue with anything in the OP.  I was bothered by the fact that the game is basically an arrangement of every element from both movies within a proton-pack-shooter.  On the other hand, I liked the fact that destroying things cost you money and so you would want to avoid it... but good luck!  One thing that I would really applaud about this game is the destructible environment.  Chairs and sofas have springs and padding inside them, and the columns in the hotel lobby were suitably crumbly.

My favorite character in the game is Winston, oddly.  Murray mutters too much.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
KathleenJL
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 04:34:00 AM

I'm looking for this game since couple of months. I am a huge fan and want to buy it. Can anyone post a link to buy the game?

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 02:04:34 PM

It's on Steam, if you want.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/9870/
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 03:16:14 PM

Otherwise, what country are you in and which format are you after?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 05:49:24 AM

I'm looking for this game since couple of months. I am a huge fan and want to buy it. Can anyone post a link to buy the game?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 02:52:21 AM

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 07:09:39 AM

Actually, it got pulled from Steam.  Only place I know of that sells it now is GamersGate, which I haven't used before and know nothing about.
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-GHBU/ghostbusters-the-videogame
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 09:02:18 AM

Me too. Oh look a report button.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Ghostbusters - Terminal Reality - PS3  
Jump to: