Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:56:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: THE LORD OF THE RINGS ONLINE™: SIEGE OF MIRKWOOD™ TO LAUNCH ON DECEMBER 1ST 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE LORD OF THE RINGS ONLINE™: SIEGE OF MIRKWOOD™ TO LAUNCH ON DECEMBER 1ST  (Read 35648 times)
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: November 17, 2009, 08:03:34 AM

I won the lottery. I suppose the drawback of giving away random beta keys is that sometimes, other MMG devs end up with them.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Skirmishes are cool, but I think they're still working towards balance, and making steady progress. The first time I tried them, they were ball-bustingly hard for a solo LM, even on Tier I. Now I can do Tier II on several of them with nominal difficulty*. I also think some of them need polish on making objectives clear. They've aroused my ire in several; you're given instructions (some complicated) via NPC transient text with voiceover. You better pay attention, or you'll miss something vital, and there is NO WAY to get the NPC to repeat the instructions, short of exiting and restarting the instance. Overall, I think LotRO is going to be massively single player for a while while people play the hell out of them, since you can do each one daily for full rewards, and as many times as you like otherwise.

I was surprised to see a relatively small number of skirmishes. There are only nine, one of which is fellowship-only, and two of which are unlocked by completing Mirkwood epics (which I didn't do). Not a great deal of variety, really, and the ones I was able to play were all either "defend location" or "break siege."

Mirkwood... meh. I was looking forward to some outdoor adventuring (Moria was torture to me -- I prefer to spend three hours in a dungeon, not three weeks), but everything I saw was grey, grey, grey. It didn't inspire me. Landscape spawns are VERY thick which makes exploration slow going. I didn't spend much time there, TBH. The mobs did seem to hark back to the ones in the starter areas in that they talk a lot more -- goblins nearly always say something when they attack or die.

Unless they've updated it since I went through, soloers in non-DPS/tank classes are going to have trouble completing the Mirkwood Landing instance required to reach the bulk of the content (remember the gates of Moria instance? It works like that). I like the greatly expanded use of NPCs in quests. It seems the skirmish followers have given them the confidence to try larger scale AI-on-AI fights.

* I measure difficulty in deaths and pot use. If I die more than three times, it's too hard. If I don't need to use pots to survive, it's too easy. Arbitrary, I know.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: November 17, 2009, 09:37:33 AM

I won the lottery also, but I didn't do as much with it as I should have.  The skirmish system is neat though.  I'm not sure how much longer it'll last before tedium sets in than the normal dungeons do, but the solo option alone gives me the ability to jump in, play for 20-30 minutes if that's all that I have, and actually get something accomplished.  Between that and the randomization of some of the elements, that feels right to me. 

The reward prices don't seem too out of whack from what I've seen, and it won't be the insane grind fest people are making it out to be unless they personally do it to themselves.  I'm mostly just happy that I'll finally be able to get my stupid Winged Rune of Dominance for my minstrel without having to drop an absurd amount of cash for it.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: November 17, 2009, 09:41:27 AM

I am looking forward to skirmishes for one major reason. They can be joined by anyone anywhere. Meaning we in the guild can be doing our thing solo/duo and then get ported to the kinship skirmish action as a group, and when all done, placed back where we were. I think its going to be a major feature for grouping and respecting peoples playtime.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: November 17, 2009, 10:37:25 AM

I am looking forward to skirmishes for one major reason. They can be joined by anyone anywhere. Meaning we in the guild can be doing our thing solo/duo and then get ported to the kinship skirmish action as a group, and when all done, placed back where we were. I think its going to be a major feature for grouping and respecting peoples playtime.
Lord of the Lobbies!

I.e. everything comes with a price. Don't get me wrong, I think world join is probably a good thing (especially with my play schedule), but yeah, it's not without side-effects.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: November 17, 2009, 10:44:33 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #75 on: November 17, 2009, 11:03:04 AM

The skirmishes improved a LOT during the beta, but I spent most of my time in Mirkwood. Much better pace than Eregion/Moria, the opening Mirkwood bit was nice, and introduced things is a decent order. Some of the new quest types were entertaining, and some stuff was ... odd. Some felt fairly Epic. But it all seemed to work pretty well together.

And yeah, the start of Mirkwood is very, very grey. It gets better though.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: November 17, 2009, 11:03:27 AM

Sadly, the new backpacks are the only good cosmetic outfits they added.  I was horribly disappointed by the actual outfits.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: November 17, 2009, 11:14:44 AM

Sadly, the new backpacks are the only good cosmetic outfits they added.  I was horribly disappointed by the actual outfits.

New crafted:

Apparently, there is a TON of cosmetics in this update.

And also more changes to crafting, such as a reduction in cross profession dependency items like leather or the like.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: November 17, 2009, 11:17:38 AM

Let me rephrase that with it being the skirmish based cosmetics that I disliked.  Although I did forget that headpiece. 
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: November 17, 2009, 11:37:56 AM

DRESSES!

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: November 18, 2009, 06:04:56 AM

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 06:09:09 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #81 on: November 18, 2009, 06:10:59 AM

The visual quality of that backpack is WAY off.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: November 18, 2009, 06:22:47 AM

The visual quality of that backpack is WAY off.

Low settings, check the other link I posted.

New crafting window.

Yegolev , look at the top bar there... Next to hide when crafting. :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 07:58:01 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: November 18, 2009, 09:26:36 AM

There's a lot coming out with SoM so little things can slip through the cracks.  Here's something that jumped out to me that can be shared now that the NDA is lifted.

1.  The pages are now quest items (I guess that means all of them can be sold on the AH instead of just one trait's worth?)
2.  The books are available from your class trainer at lvl 39.
3.  The drop zones are expanded.  The 1st 4 drop in Angmar/Eregion and the other 4 drop in MM/Forochel.

cheers.

Really now?

Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: November 18, 2009, 09:57:52 AM

There's a lot coming out with SoM so little things can slip through the cracks.  Here's something that jumped out to me that can be shared now that the NDA is lifted.

1.  The pages are now quest items (I guess that means all of them can be sold on the AH instead of just one trait's worth?)
2.  The books are available from your class trainer at lvl 39.
3.  The drop zones are expanded.  The 1st 4 drop in Angmar/Eregion and the other 4 drop in MM/Forochel.

cheers.

Really now?

Oh thank fucking God.  Angmar and MM are my two least favorite places in the game, and I HATED going there to grind pages.  I also hated not having any hunter legendaries because I didn't have 13 gold to spend on a book.  That's of course if there were any books on the AH in the first place.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #85 on: November 18, 2009, 10:30:21 AM

The books were pretty cheap too, bought them with my Hunter on Bullroarer. And you can trade skirmish marks for things like a Rune of Winged Dominance.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: November 19, 2009, 06:58:22 PM

Oh, one other thing I found really cool: the new Yule event at Thorin's Hall.

Everyone gets a special "hammer" skill that works against other players. It does no damage, but has a massive knockback, like getting whacked by a troll.

Everyone gets in an arena.

Last man in bounds wins.

- Henry Cobb
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: November 20, 2009, 12:11:48 AM

A handful of images. 1600x1200 available by clicking.

- Henry Cobb
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #88 on: November 20, 2009, 05:29:02 AM

Yegolev , look at the top bar there... Next to hide when crafting. :)

SPROING

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: November 20, 2009, 06:31:25 AM

But that freetext filter has always been there? Since, well, April 2007 atleast.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #90 on: November 21, 2009, 05:57:09 AM

Yes.  Why was I excited?  I never use it.

Just what was it that I wanted a search function for?  Besides the quest screen.

Nyght
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: November 24, 2009, 10:38:49 AM

Wut?!?  A new dev diary and no almost instant Bloodworth post.     ACK!    Man, the guy is slippin' . Here ya go....

http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/543-developer-diary-som-skirmishes-the-end

"Do you know who is in charge here?" -- "Yep."
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: November 24, 2009, 10:43:29 AM

Two that haven't posted. Crunch time at work.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #93 on: November 24, 2009, 12:23:08 PM

Seven days left and my interest in reading about skirmishes has expired.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: November 25, 2009, 12:30:13 AM

Just what was it that I wanted a search function for?  Besides the quest screen.
The vendor window.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #95 on: November 25, 2009, 08:09:00 AM

The vendor window.

I remembered this last time I played on Sunday, when the whole "'Coal' is now 'Lump of Coal'" episode came back to me.

While I'm bitching, I'd also like a search function on my own inventory, and my vault.  Also, while I am at it, I want an autosort button that will combine any disparate stacks of items in my inventory.  I suppose the fact that items do not automatically stack when trading and I already have some locked items in my bag is a feature, but I'd like a toggle or some way for combine the stacks manually.  I'm going to ask for the manual combine button.

Also, a tree-view of my inventory would be fantastic, especially if I could filter by item type as seen in the AH interface.  God, EVE has spoiled me.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: November 25, 2009, 08:17:36 AM

WarCry Naithan: hi! do you consider change the trade system, so that the items you trade will stack with the same items at your inventory? Also put items in bank with the right click and stack as well to the existing ones!
Orion: We can take a look into that, though there is no definable time frame that we can offer at this point in time.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: November 25, 2009, 08:21:23 AM

...the whole "'Coal' is now 'Lump of Coal'" episode came back to me.

Every time I see a bush labeled "Handful of Blueberries" this change annoys me anew.

- Henry Cobb
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: November 25, 2009, 08:22:40 AM

...the whole "'Coal' is now 'Lump of Coal'" episode came back to me.

Every time I see a bush labeled "Handful of Blueberries" this change annoys me anew.

lol, really? it has been a bit since I have been in a zone with berries, but that's rather funny and  swamp poop

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #99 on: November 25, 2009, 09:03:42 AM

I'd not say "funny". Ohhhhh, I see.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #100 on: December 09, 2009, 02:44:44 PM

one of you guys in the Brandywine kin should post a recruitment thread in MMOs and give those Eve guys a run for their thread.  Lots to talk about.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: THE LORD OF THE RINGS ONLINE™: SIEGE OF MIRKWOOD™ TO LAUNCH ON DECEMBER 1ST  
Jump to: