Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:47:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Lifetime Sub Questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lifetime Sub Questions  (Read 6408 times)
Azazel
Contributor

on: September 28, 2009, 12:37:35 AM

So I started my account and while considering the endless summer fun thing ($10/month sub) I saw there was a lifetime sub option for $299.

It could be me misremembering, but I thought the lifetime sub was $200, not $299?

Also, is this always on-offer, or is this one of those occaisonal times, (twice per year) when lifetime subs are offered? Or is it something always offered for new subsciption, and twice a year for others?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 06:17:24 AM

It WAS $199 before the expansion.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 07:04:27 AM

has it been $299 ever since? Or has it been "on sale" for $199 at all since MoM came out? (and when did Moria come out, anyway?)

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 07:08:28 AM

I do not think they offer the original $199 price anymore, ever.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 02:07:16 PM

I think they only offered the $199 price when the game first began, ever since then it's been $299.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 03:17:26 PM

There was a short period pre-moria where founders could send out invites that also had the original founder rates attached to it ($10/month or $199 lifetime).  I keep hoping they drop it to $199 again at some point, because I keep getting tempted to drop $299 on it as is.  We'll see how Mirkwood goes I guess.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 12:15:16 PM

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 12:23:24 PM

It does seem like someone at LotRO has been reading these boards.

"Me am play gods"
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 12:24:11 PM

It does seem like someone at LotRO has been reading these boards.

Yeah, this isn't the first time.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 12:41:46 PM

Well, there went my excuse. 
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 09:10:21 AM

My two friends that I signed up did the Lifetime Sub thing today as a result. if it's still on offer in 3 weeks, my wife and I will do it, too. (fortnightly pay, and the next one doesn't have $400 of movement space in it).

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 09:25:23 AM

It sounds like a great deal, but I have never played a MMOG 22 monthes.

"Me am play gods"
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 11:59:40 AM

It sounds like a great deal, but I have never played a MMOG 22 monthes.

I would probably never play LoTRO 22 months straight, but as a fan of the books I think this is one MMOG I'll keep coming back to as they release expansions.  I want to see Mirkwood, I want to see Rohan, Gondor and Minas Tirith, Isengard, Helm's Deep...you get the point.  I don't have a lifetime yet, but it's extremely tempting.

most often known as Drevik
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 12:42:51 PM

I did for way more than that back in EQ1, though with a couple of long breaks. Probably have done so with WoW as well, again with breaks that have been longer and longer.

This appears to be a (very expensive) way to "buy" the game - with that it does remove the pressure to play now to get your money's worth, and IMO allows for a really relaxed and casual playstyle. Since it'll always be there.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 01:13:36 PM

I'm a lifer since launch, I've never regretted it. It's easy to say now obviously, but ironically, if you're casual about your gaming, a lifetime sub will actually make it feel even more casual, as has been noted.

I don't think LotRO is going away in a hurry, so it's probably still a safe purchase if you like the game enough to pop by every other month to check out new content.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 02:47:11 PM

This is the 2nd time I know of post Moria that it's gone down to $199. I got it for that price around Christmas but can't remember if that had somethnig to do with my Moria purchase or was a holiday special. In any case, the $199 makes periodic comebacks 1-2X a year from what I've heard.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 01:36:11 PM

Even if you buy the lifetime sub, you still have to spring for expansions, right?
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 02:50:31 PM

Even if you buy the lifetime sub, you still have to spring for expansions, right?

Correct. It just gets you out of paying a monthly fee.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 09:16:14 AM

Correct. It just gets you out of paying a monthly fee.

Yep. You'd be surprised how freeing it is. You have this feeling that it's ok to leave and come back for new content and not be playing all the time since you don't have a monthly fee anymore.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 07:12:10 PM

I usually go for about 8 weeks at a pop with my lifetime sub.  Then I crap out on trying to get 120 nookiewhackers killed for whatever trait I'm working on and hang it up for a few months.  I probably will never finish it.  It has definitely been worth the money, however.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Lifetime Sub Questions  
Jump to: