Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:59:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: World of Warcraft 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: World of Warcraft  (Read 5471 times)
LK
Terracotta Army

on: September 24, 2009, 11:38:33 AM

I'd love to hear your guy's thoughts on this comic series.

It started out strong, introducing likable characters and themes that really worked out strongly. But as the things at stake got bigger, and "lore necessities" became more prominent (needing Alliance vs. Horde tensions, integrating game elements into the comic), I felt like the series suffered. Now they're going into swamp poop territory with the new Council of Tirisfal and Guardian stuff, including the fact that gnomish technology being represented as a form of magic and some really questionable storyline flow (people teleporting all over the place, days passing, confusing timeline). Also, attacks on Theramore happen so frequently that I feel like you could make a drinking game out of it.

It's apparent from the story developments that game designers and not professional writers are dictating the progression of events (and the professional writer, Walt Simonson, Blizzard hired is beholden to the decisions those designers made). I like the characters, and I like certain plot elements. But the more that gets revealed about the world and the characters, the more integrity is lost in the lore quality. I no longer take Arthas seriously after reading the book and the decisions he's made over the course of Wrath. Hell, the Forsaken represent a bigger threat to the stability of Horde / Alliance than the Scourge ever was.

One of the biggest sins is how they are shoe-horning in game characters and elements. It feels more like a "lol the MMO game universe is relevant" rather than any planned, focused efforts.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 05:58:52 AM

From what little I've seen, the WoW comics are every God Damned comic cliche combined into one unholy pamphlet.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 11:17:26 AM

Plot developments by any means. That's the WoW way.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 03:16:33 PM

From what little I've seen, the WoW comics are every God Damned comic cliche combined into one unholy pamphlet.

With the extra lol of you can't tell any of the human males apart, because they're all drawn as if they came straight out of the game.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 03:26:34 PM

Really, take everything bad and terrible about comic books, then ramp it up to 11. Now take WoW's lol-lore and try to play it straight and serious.

That's probably the biggest failing, the comics take themselves SERIOUSLY.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 02:07:13 PM

So no one rides a mechano hog?

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Vision
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 09:41:45 AM

Every human looks like a ripped polished meat block with overly colorful armour and a ponytail and huge jawline.
Got three issues and couldn't see colors for a week due to the retina burn from the coloring.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: World of Warcraft  
Jump to: