Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:40:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: What server? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What server?  (Read 14393 times)
ezrast
Terracotta Army

on: September 16, 2009, 09:11:54 PM

RL friend of mine and I are thinking about picking this up if I can get my connection to work; my old level 43 is on Infinity villain side; he's never played. Does anyone here still play enough to warrant rolling on a specific server? Or would I be better off just sticking to Infinity on the off chance that I feel like feeding myself infamy?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 09:54:58 PM

Freedom and Virtue are the most populated with Freedom the most active, usually, though Virtue was more active yesterday when I16 launched but I attribute that to all the RPers customizing their powers to better suit their characters. Freedom has the nickname "Freedumb" and Virtue, as implied above, is the unofficial RP server. Freedom is on the East Coast and Virtue is on the West, in case that matters to you.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 10:06:51 PM

Sounds pretty much like it was when I left, thanks. But I was wondering more specifically if there were f13ers that wanted another warm body to roll with on the off chance that we're playing at the same time. Whatever connection issues I was having before seem to have gone away so there's a good chance I'll be playing on random weeknights.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 10:36:03 PM

I'm on Virtue but I rarely team. If you want to do some Hami raids on Virtue, though, and need some guidance let me know.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 06:23:11 AM

There is a Batnet global channel for f13ers, but I have never, ever seen anyone on it.

If you want a team, sign up to VU2009 on Virute (Freedom would have an equivalent global channel). You'll need to ask a mod to unmute you, but it is a great source of team mates if are just looking to play.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 06:05:59 PM

Anyone want to throw me a reactivation invite thing? 15 free days for both of us, as I understand? Never mind, resubbing now. It's supposed to get old after like a month anyway, right? Right? Not like this will turn into a compulsive addiction or anything...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 09:46:41 PM by ezrast »
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 10:40:14 PM

I'm on Virtue as lots of alts (currently playing my 5th or 6th defender, this one is Rad/Dark named Dark Brane).

Things I noticed from I16:

1. AE is a lot emptier
2. People actually look for and jion groups for missions
3. INF from missions, esp when you up the difficulty, is up enoulgh to make it worth doing them (at least a LOT more than it was), hence the AE farm crowd reduction
4. Missions can really hurt you if you want them to (+4 with partial groups makes los and tactics actually needed again)
5. Probably the closest it is ever going to feel to when this game was a lot newer, in terms of people grouping and finding challenges in everyday missions/TFs

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 11:23:50 AM

Looks like I really lucked out at picking a time to join, then. Friend and I have level 20 heroes on Infinity now but we're still rolling lots of alts. That will probably be out of our system soon. I churned out a bunch of invented set enhancements on my dominator planning to twink my hero a bit with them and then found out that the AH isn't cross-faction. Whoops.

Might be asking the wrong crowd, but are the ancillary power pools useful? I remember the villain ones being fairly gimpy, but that was I7. I ask because I'm playing an earth/sonic controller and the lack of anything resembling damage is getting to me. Level 20 and I'm still spamming brawl and taser dart.  swamp poop

Oh, and @spruce if anyone's curious.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 12:36:19 PM

Looks like I really lucked out at picking a time to join, then. Friend and I have level 20 heroes on Infinity now but we're still rolling lots of alts. That will probably be out of our system soon. I churned out a bunch of invented set enhancements on my dominator planning to twink my hero a bit with them and then found out that the AH isn't cross-faction. Whoops.

Might be asking the wrong crowd, but are the ancillary power pools useful? I remember the villain ones being fairly gimpy, but that was I7. I ask because I'm playing an earth/sonic controller and the lack of anything resembling damage is getting to me. Level 20 and I'm still spamming brawl and taser dart.  swamp poop

Oh, and @spruce if anyone's curious.

If you want to do damage on a controller, you might want to slot your single-target immob and hold for damage, as with containment they're pretty respectable in that regard.

Or pick up a power pool attack (boxing/kick/air superiority/flurry/jump kick), as all those benefit from containment too. Downside: they're all melee range. Upside: you'll be hitting stuff trapped forever in a rocky tomb anyway.

You may remember that jump kick was absolutely wretched. This was before they made the second half of the animation cancelable. It's competitive now.

The ancillaries are not the damage kings they once were, as the original numbers didn't take Containment into account, but when you get to 41 there'll be some nice damage output waiting there for you.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 12:39:31 PM

Quote is not edit.

Additionally, though, when you get to 32 there's Animate Stone, and you can put your shields and disruption aura on him and watch him murdalate the opposition.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 12:55:45 PM

Villain ancillary power pools are still gimpy. Heroes are more powerful overall (it varies depending on AT and that actual pool).

Earth sacrifices damage for more control. If you are soloing mostly Earth is not such a great pick, at least until you get your pet. As Glazius implied your attack chain is basically single-target Hold, single-target Immobilize, single-target Immobilize, repeat ad nauseum, and are worth slotting fully as soon as possible. Things like Brawl and Taser Dart aren't really worth the End cost unless the mob only has a sliver of health left. If you picked Fly as your travel power Air Superiority is an awesome attack power (the best out of all the Power Pool attacks) so that's something to consider if you plan on respecing sooner rather than later.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 01:19:27 PM

Ahh, okay - my problem is I haven't taken the ST immob. I remember finding it pointless on my dominator, but in the absence of an assault set I guess it's supposed to be my bread and butter attack thing. Definitely not dipping into pools for damage though since I don't like melee, and I'm duoing with a blaster so it's really not that big a deal. Still can't wait for 32 though.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 06:23:26 PM

Villain ancillary power pools are still gimpy. Heroes are more powerful overall (it varies depending on AT and that actual pool).

Earth sacrifices damage for more control. If you are soloing mostly Earth is not such a great pick, at least until you get your pet. As Glazius implied your attack chain is basically single-target Hold, single-target Immobilize, single-target Immobilize, repeat ad nauseum, and are worth slotting fully as soon as possible. Things like Brawl and Taser Dart aren't really worth the End cost unless the mob only has a sliver of health left. If you picked Fly as your travel power Air Superiority is an awesome attack power (the best out of all the Power Pool attacks) so that's something to consider if you plan on respecing sooner rather than later.

In new patch news, Brawl is free. Taser Dart is about 1/3 what it was.

Air Superiority is pretty good but Earth Control gives its targets a lot of knockback resist, which negates a lot of the appeal of Air Superiority.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 07:54:17 PM

FYI, I'm playing on Virtue these days in Empire of Villains SG. Toon's names are Myou Kitai and La Espina Del Diablo.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 11:29:02 PM

I'm expecting the Auction Consignment House to go cross-faction with Going Rogue.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: What server?  
Jump to: