Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:50:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: AION plans "race caps" for open beta -- an idea that might help WAR? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AION plans "race caps" for open beta -- an idea that might help WAR?  (Read 35902 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: September 11, 2009, 10:31:49 AM

Exp bonuses did absolutely jack shit to fix WARs population imbalance, at this point i'm willing to give Aions system a try to see if it does any better.

I am the .00000001428%
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: September 11, 2009, 10:51:59 AM

The xp in Aion (from what I heard) isn't that significant sadly. That was coming from people who are all about the fastest way to level though, not just enjoying the ride to max level. So as everything in MMOs, YMMV.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #37 on: September 11, 2009, 10:52:25 AM

I guess there is always the que system they could use...

They have the que system in place already as well, I was about 30-35th in line and was in within 2 minutes. I'd gladly wait 2 minutes to login and have a better balance on faction population then be the underdog in a 5:1 population difference.

Queue, the both of you.  awesome, for real

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: September 11, 2009, 10:57:44 AM

Doh  swamp poop
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #39 on: September 11, 2009, 11:04:40 AM

¿Que?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 11:08:14 AM by IainC »

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
jayfyve
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: September 19, 2009, 12:08:39 PM

Remember the episode of South Park where they are trying to return the Margartiaville during the financial crisis? To decide what to do the government was cutting the head off a chicken, then throwing the flailing corpse on a circular decision table with many options on it. The decision was based on wherever the corpse died on the wheel.

I can't open this clip (I'm from the big village) but I think it is the right one because of the google results:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/222638/?searchterm=treasury

Is this similar to modern mmo design?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: September 19, 2009, 01:52:17 PM

No, thats a comparatively rational way to do it.

Hic sunt dracones.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: September 21, 2009, 12:54:16 PM

Well, they race-capped for pre-release to balance sides per server, forcing record queues. The longest queue I experienced yesterday was 15 minutes (even starting at 696, with a predicted wait of 48 minutes).

There are a couple of "this is BS" posts on various forums today, and maybe a couple of ragequits, but otherwise people seemed willing to wait it out or just roll on another server. Or rationalized the whole thing as some form of genius.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: September 21, 2009, 01:23:17 PM

I had a three hour wait (quit out after about one) and another two hour wait later which took just about all that time.  Then when I was chatting back in WoW and didn't tab back for five minutes it kicked me.  Thankfully at that point the X of 1300 queue was instant.  Still annoying.

[Normally I only play one game at a time, but since I was in the middle of a conversation while waiting for the queue, I didn't feel like ending it just to focus solely on Aion.]

It's something which might work for launch, but not an up and running game.  It serves to force the people without an established group to choose the side which lets them play.  Once people have established characters, all it will do is make people disinterested.  It won't fly with Aion for long and it certainly won't save WAR at this point.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #44 on: September 21, 2009, 01:25:45 PM

That's some gold-plated dev fellation there. Anyone who's trying to paint Falconeer as a frothing fanboi needs to read that for some perspective.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #45 on: September 25, 2009, 04:10:19 AM

That's some gold-plated dev fellation there. Anyone who's trying to paint Falconeer as a frothing fanboi needs to read that for some perspective.

good to see I am not the only one to reference the roller coaster/amusement park line. I grew up an hour away from Cedar Point and practically lived there every summer from the time I could drive. I recall waiting 5 hours when the Magnum opened and 6 when the Mean Streak came. Of course those rides ended 2~3min whereas an MMO is much more bang for the buck/time. Only god knows how this would have worked for WAR, but it does seem to work atm for Aion.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: September 25, 2009, 09:34:27 AM

Yeah, those lines?  I only stood in them a few times and learned I'd rather just come back when the park was quieter.  Then they shut down Astroworld.  I guess people got tired of paying high prices to stand in line.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #47 on: September 25, 2009, 11:03:01 AM

Now they just pay a monthly fee online.  Rimshot

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: September 25, 2009, 01:20:52 PM

Yeah, those lines?  I only stood in them a few times and learned I'd rather just come back when the park was quieter.  Then they shut down Astroworld.  I guess people got tired of paying high prices to stand in line.

Yeah -- couldn't believe they tore down Astroworld. I miss the Texas Cyclone. My sister and I rode it 15 times one Summer afternoon (a Monday I think). We'd just get off, run around and get back on. That coaster was the best ever - fast, wild, wooden coaster with tons of screeching and shaking and slamming you around and felt like the whole rickety thing might fall apart any second. Sigh.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: September 25, 2009, 05:24:06 PM

I got dizzy just looking at that one.  Friends had to drag me onto XLR8 and the kiddy coaster towards the front of the park.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: AION plans "race caps" for open beta -- an idea that might help WAR?  
Jump to: