Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:16:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Free to Play is sorta live 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Free to Play is sorta live  (Read 71089 times)
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: September 09, 2009, 11:14:21 PM

Ok, so need you have bought the box to get in on this?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: September 10, 2009, 12:01:21 AM

No.  Just start here if you don't already have a DDO account:
https://trial.turbine.com/ddo.php

If you do already have one, just get the Turbine downloader and pull down DDO.  It's an incremental downloader, so you can start about 5 minutes after you begin. 

http://www.ddo.com/ddosupport/download-ddo
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #37 on: September 10, 2009, 01:12:58 AM

fyi - Server crashed and has been unstable.  Web server also.   awesome, for real

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #38 on: September 10, 2009, 07:18:22 AM

2 Questions.

1.  Does strength affect how much you can carry (ie. is there a weight limit?  And what are the repercussions of holding too much)?

2.  I do not remember hating the client this much.  Has anyone compared the super duper HD client verse the old client?  It just doesn't feel.... right.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: September 10, 2009, 09:26:20 AM

2 Questions.

1.  Does strength affect how much you can carry (ie. is there a weight limit?  And what are the repercussions of holding too much)?

2.  I do not remember hating the client this much.  Has anyone compared the super duper HD client verse the old client?  It just doesn't feel.... right.

1.  Far as I remember, yes.  There is an encumbrance stat right under your money in your inventory.  I believe your walking speed drops to a crawl if you hit heavy load, but I can't remember for sure.

2.  Far as I remember, the HD client only adds the Very High textures setting, same as lotro.  I haven't had any issues with the client itself.  It's always seemed extremely similar to lotro to me in looks.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: September 10, 2009, 10:24:49 AM

Well, I am going to hold off joining.  I am not making a second turbine account. 
Why make a second account?  Use your existing one.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #41 on: September 10, 2009, 10:30:33 AM

I would love to know how to do that.  If try to log into DDOU with the account I use for LotRO, it says I need a key.  If I follow the "play DDOU" from DDO.com, it tries to get me to make a new account.

"Me am play gods"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #42 on: September 10, 2009, 10:39:09 AM

I somehow put my DDOU account into my generic Turbine account (myaccount.turbine.com), and since I never bought DDO I assume I must have obtained a key somewhere.  Probably in email but I can't get to my personal email right now.  DDO is not present in the online store (store.turbine.com) anymore.

EDIT: this doesn't mean my DDOU and LotRO game accounts are linked, just that they are both manageable from myaccount.turbine.com.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: September 10, 2009, 10:45:30 AM

Here's the info you need Taz, unfortunately you need to contact support for a key.  This seems like a pretty significant oversight.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=199261
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #44 on: September 10, 2009, 02:01:24 PM

A queue for Cannith, awesome. Ohhhhh, I see.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: September 10, 2009, 02:51:18 PM

Seriously?  ACK!

We can always pick another server.  I didn't expect there to be this much of a pick up in popularity even with the game going free.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #46 on: September 10, 2009, 03:13:30 PM

Eh, whatever, it's all new so I'm not surprised.  So far less than three minutes wait, most I have been was 72 in line.  This afternoon is full of interruptions and the DDO client times out like a motherfucker so I keep having to log in again.  I managed to get to the treasure chest at the end of the newbie dungeon, though.  Clangus Anvildodger, dwarf fighter.

Also, is there a wiki or something I can read to explain these stats, modifiers and such?  It's complicated!

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: September 10, 2009, 03:24:46 PM

Oh, hey, one thing I forgot from the closed beta.  If you've never given turbine money at any point for DDO, you only have like a 5 minute inactivity window before it logs you out.  If you have given them money, but aren't a subscriber, your account gets flagged as premium, and your window goes up to like 15 minutes.  If you are a subscriber, it goes up higher, or just flat out doesn't log you out, I can't remember.  Pretty sure you also bypass the login queue.  I can't find the info in a relatively quick manner though.

edit:  google appears to work better than their own forum search feature, go figure, looks like it's 10/20/60:
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2241564&postcount=14

As far as explaining how everything works, just hit me up on AIM and I'll walk you through whatever you're missing.

Here are some links of dubious use though:

DDO Compendium, similar to lotro's Lorebook
http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Compendium_Home

New player forum:
http://forums.ddo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81

Character builds forum:
http://forums.ddo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=175

Dungeons and Dragons 3.0 basic rules set (note that DDO uses a heavily modified version of this though)
http://www.d20srd.org/

edit: more links, now that I'm out of the meeting from hell:

DDO wiki
http://ddowiki.com/

Helpful Player Resources forum link
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=152234
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 06:45:43 PM by Ard »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #48 on: September 11, 2009, 09:31:25 AM

awesome, for real

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #49 on: September 12, 2009, 08:16:11 PM

OK, just got to Stormreach and the Graphics are different.  I like them.  I cannot pinpoint what the difference is, but I just... like them better.

Its like the difference between NWN and NWN2 - the second one drove me up the wall.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: September 12, 2009, 08:49:48 PM

Korthos was put in relatively recently.  It replaced the old newbie area, which was in my opinion, horrifically worse.   I think Korthos was mostly put in to address the two complaints of no dragons in dnd and everything being dark and dank indoors, by forcing exposure to an outdoors open adventure area.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #51 on: September 15, 2009, 08:46:20 AM

They finally sent me a key late last night.  I only had enough time to run the tutorial.

EDIT:

My first evening playing was a very favorable experience tooling around with a pre-made barbarian.  I need to try out some other classes.  I can see myself spending money on this.

If the instances were randomized like Hellgate, it'd be the best game ever. 

I got some Turbine points for favor, any ideas on how often this happens?

What no thief henchman? WTF
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 09:30:20 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: September 16, 2009, 12:47:09 PM

Post your name so we can find you.  Assuming you want to be found. 

The lack of thief henchman is to keep the thief class from being trivialized out of the game.  They're extremely squishy, and their dps is kinda weak and dangerous to use, so if you no longer had to bring a player along to take care of traps, literally no one would play them anymore for the most part.  Except for me, but I'd like to think I've long since proven I was a tard.

You get turbine points at certain thresholds of overall favor.  I can't remember what they are.   I can try to dig up a post though.  I wouldn't count on being able to use those points for much though.

And yeah, I was bitching about the lack of randomized instances when it came out.  If they'd just overloaded the dungeons with traps and monsters and rolled to see which were active, that would have been awesome.  You do get rare spawn bosses from time to time, so I know they at least have some of the tech in place for that.

Also, one thing I don't think I ever explained.  As a f2p player, you only have two character accounts.  If you ever subscribe, then unsubscribe, you go up to 4 for free.  So if you EVER consider buying more character slots, just subscribe for a month and be done with it.  It'll also let you uncap any characters you make in that period in the 4 level increments for free, and give you access to all content for long enough to get through a large chunk of it, and you'll also get 500 points at the end of the month.  Subscribing for a month is really not that bad a deal in the scheme of things.

Another thing is, subscribers can buy guest passes for pay to play content (you won't really start seeing this until level 4) that last like an hour and a half or so, and cost less than buying the actual dungeon.  I'd have to check my account tonight.  I subscribed a few days ago, but screwed it up and added it to my defunct beta account and not my real one.  They fixed it today and moved over all my beta turbine points also, so I've got a bunch to play around with.

edit:  okay, bonus, I found a thread that not only listed the favor point gains, but also listed alot of other stuff applying to f2p players. 

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=198865
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 12:54:48 PM by Ard »
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #53 on: September 16, 2009, 05:21:34 PM

I am tempted to reroll Cheddar as a dual wield fighter.  Currently I have a great axe dude, but from random noob chatter it seems 2 handed is more fun.  Any thoughts?

Also, should I pick up 1 level of Ranger to get the dual wield free?  Or is there some armor penalty in DDO?  I want 2 swords and plate mail, bitches!

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: September 16, 2009, 06:15:06 PM

After rewriting this post twice, I don't know how to answer your question.  There's too many weird things involved.  Here's the crib notes to work from though, to come to your own conclusion.

• Two weapon fighting from ranger is not tied to your armor like it is in pen and paper as far as I remember.
  • Two weapon fighting for non-rangers takes a hideous amount of dex (15 to 17 for the higher ones).
  • Rangers can't wear heavy armor however and need dex to supplement the AC.
  • You don't get two weapon fighting until level 2 of ranger, so you can't just splash one level. 
  • Two weapon fighting without the rest of the higher level two weapon fighting feats kinda sucks.
  • Getting two weapon fighting either way pretty much guarentees platemail isn't your best armor option due to dex bonus caps on armor, unless you are primarily a fighter with a low dex.  However, this means you'll never have any of the two weapon fighting upgrade feats without adding alot more than 2 ranger levels..
  • Rangers can use healing wands however.  This is a pretty significant bonus.
  • Warriors have more health, and a lot more feats though.
  • You gain 1.5* your strength bonus to damage with a two hander.  This helps bypass damage reduction.
  • Rangers get a prestige class enhancement line starting at level 6 that affects two weapon fighting called Tempest
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 06:16:40 PM by Ard »
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: September 16, 2009, 08:43:29 PM

I think there is an enhancement warriors get that increases your str bonus to two handed weapons, as well but I could be off.

Would a dwarf ranger that goes for a str build and medium and heavy armour feats be feasible? You could also get oversized two weapon fighting in order to use 2x dwarven war axes.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #56 on: September 16, 2009, 08:59:58 PM

I think there is an enhancement warriors get that increases your str bonus to two handed weapons, as well but I could be off.

Would a dwarf ranger that goes for a str build and medium and heavy armour feats be feasible? You could also get oversized two weapon fighting in order to use 2x dwarven war axes.

I went dwarf - didn't wanna do DRIZZT OMG!!!  Evidently there are some nice builds where you include a level of monk and get decent AC without needing armor.  I cannot understand 85% of what the forums are saying, they devolve into gibberish acronyms, grammar/spelling, and pasting tons of numbers.

So yeah, Cheddar is gonna be a Ranger dude with some zen.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #57 on: September 17, 2009, 08:05:07 AM

I figured out how to get to Level 2.  No, I don't understand it, I just did quests until I had enough pink balls and the fighter trainer let me do it.  My tack with Clangus is to just play and not hurt my head with min/max bullshit, or even caring a lot about the numbers. awesome, for real

I posted my name already but I don't seem to have gotten my reward!

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #58 on: September 17, 2009, 09:04:27 AM

Are collectibles ever worth anything? So far its just vendor trash.

I opened a chest then was hit by Dungeon Alert Green and was raped by a huge pack kobolds.  I don't know which one caused the other.

I wish there was some sort of indicator weather some an instance can be done at a greater difficulty or not.  If there are no other options but solo for an instances then the other boxes should not be there.

I was under the impression that spending any amount of money on TP would also turn account premium as well.

I am having problems meshing the 'clicky' nature of combat with the need to trigger skills.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 09:50:52 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #59 on: September 17, 2009, 09:35:28 AM

I am having problems meshing the 'clicky' nature of combat with the need to trigger skills.

I am having a similar issue and it is coupled with the fact that in every other game I press Rmouse+Lmouse to move.  Lots of people are doing this, actually, from what I see in the newbie town.  So I have to press W all the time to run and then I need to press some number keys; I'd rather use only the mouse to drive and the left hand for hotkeys.  It's not like I am ever NOT holding down the left mouse button when in combat, so for a fighter I'd like to see some sort of automated attack.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: September 17, 2009, 10:46:59 AM

Are collectibles ever worth anything? So far its just vendor trash.

Short version, yes.
Long version, hold onto mushrooms for healing pots, and anything that says you only need to turn in one of.  A lot of the harbor turn ins are indeed trash though, but the single turn ins usually get you some really nice weapons or armor.  Things pick up a bit around level 4 when you start getting the market collectible drops instead.  Look out for the Icon of Khyber specifically.  You turn it into the religious kobold dude near the shops.  Those get turned in for reptile-bane weapons which you'll be using to kill kobolds and trogs for quite a while.

I opened a chest then was hit by Dungeon Alert Green and was raped by a huge pack kobolds.  I don't know which one caused the other.

This happens when you activate too many mobs in the dungeon.  It was to stop people who were exploiting to just zerg to the end of the dungeon, activating damn near every mob in the process,  and fast complete ignoring them all.  It was supposedly causing havoc with their instance servers.  So now they just all activate pre-emptively and come rape you.

Yes, this is a ham handed solution.

I wish there was some sort of indicator weather some an instance can be done at a greater difficulty or not.  If there are no other options but solo for an instances then the other boxes should not be there.

All instances that are not strictly solo start with solo and normal unlocked.  After you do normal, hard unlocks.  After hard, elite unlocks.  However, if you're with someone else who already has the upper difficulties unlocked, they can create the dungeon and you can jump ahead that way.

I was under the impression that spending any amount of money on TP would also turn account premium as well.

I'd thought that was the case.  If I was wrong, I apologize.
http://www.ddo.com/vip
This says any purchase of points however.  You may need to log out and back in if you haven't.

Yegolev, I haven't seen either you or Cheddar on at the same time as me.  If I do, I'll buy you some ham (or at least give you the extra full plate+1 sitting in my bank).  FatuousTwat seems to be on more than me though.  I'll get a guild made tonight and get him invite privleges though, if he isn't already in one, so it'll at least be easier to find people and their alts.

Also, there is an auto-attack.  You have three options.  One is a sword looking icon on your character sheet somewhere, think in your feats.  The other is double click to auto attack.  This might not be on by default in the options though.    The last is the sword icon in your healthbar.  The downside to autoattacking is that it only targets the mob you're highlighting for the most part.  Some of the bastards like jumping back and running away, and I usually just turn to smack the thing next to me instead of following.

Also, Taz, is your character Drees or Dree?  I tried to add Drees to my friends list last night and it didn't exist, but there was a Dree.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 11:00:04 AM by Ard »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #61 on: September 17, 2009, 11:22:36 AM

Hmm, maybe I'll stick to the hold-down-left-mouse method.  I might be imagining it, but I think I can hit more than one target at a time.

If I skip a difficulty, say if I do Normal and not Solo, do I miss out on some XP or something?  Maybe a checkmark in a book somewhere?  Would I want to do the Solo version for any reason?

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: September 17, 2009, 11:26:52 AM

If I skip a difficulty, say if I do Normal and not Solo, do I miss out on some XP or something?  Maybe a checkmark in a book somewhere?  Would I want to do the Solo version for any reason?

The first time you do any given difficulty level you gain a 25% xp bonus.  That's the only real bonus you're missing.  You also only gain favor from the highest difficulty level you've completed, it's not cumulative in that regard.  There's really no reason not to jump straight to elite if you're with a group that can beat it though.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #63 on: September 17, 2009, 12:26:05 PM

Pretty sure it's Drees. It's a common character name I use.  I logged off 10:30 central yesterday.

"Me am play gods"
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: September 17, 2009, 05:35:00 PM

Ah, I didn't know you were planning on making a guild. I joined one last night right before downtime. I haven't even grouped with them, so I'll see how it goes.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #65 on: September 17, 2009, 05:48:24 PM

f13 guild sounds good - sign me up!

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: September 17, 2009, 05:57:35 PM

Lol, stick with that one for now.  I just forgot I actually COULD make a guild last night after they fixed my account.  I doubt this one will have any more persistence than any other f13 guild has.  But who knows!

edit:  or hell, if they don't suck, get us invites  awesome, for real

I'm still at least going to try to make a holding guild tonight.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 06:07:18 PM by Ard »
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #67 on: September 17, 2009, 06:25:39 PM

Damn it is Dree.

"Me am play gods"
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #68 on: September 21, 2009, 09:00:24 AM

I put some serious time into DDOU this weekend.  I enjoy the core game very much.  I don't mind that people have the maps memorized, but the people run ahead and die.  But there are groups were the people work together and that's very fun.  Excellent duo game.  The whole favor system brings out the OCD in me.  Love the henchies.

What is not so good about DDOU is the things around the core game: guild system, quest journal, collectibles, auction house are mediocre to poor.  This distracts from an otherwise well done game.  I hope this move to free-wtih-store allows them to put more resources into improving these systems.

I wonder about how the purchasable content is going to work over time since it erects walls all over the place.

"Me am play gods"
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: September 21, 2009, 04:37:06 PM

Was actually thinking that myself, about the walls and Freeplay restrictions, and honestly I can't see any reason to continue much to the point where I would subscribe. I downloaded this, and it is much improved from beta, but I still didn't really move past the tutorial.. and 2 characters? WTF I damn well am not buying a slot, and can still try playing on different servers.

With a good duo, or solo character, I probably could cringe through a month of bad voiceovers yelling when I complete quests and some really bad overall decisions menu wise... but honestly I really don't feel that sticky about this unless I had a group of my old friends together to cause chaos.

Two questions I had are:

Are there Roleplay servers?

and

Does anyone even type anymore?

I think this is what makes every MMO I play lately into a vapid gaping chasm, is that no one even types anymore, and it's like a solo game. BTW The chat interface on this has many bugs, that I am typing bug reports for like this was beta. A good RMT idea would be rewarding for submitting bug reports with "points", because honestly I think 10% of beta testers are actually submitting bugs because of previous mentioned typing issue.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Free to Play is sorta live  
Jump to: