Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:08:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Free to Play is sorta live 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Free to Play is sorta live  (Read 71088 times)
Ard
Terracotta Army

on: September 01, 2009, 03:33:17 PM

The game finally went free to play for those in the f2p open beta and/or were subscribers at any point.  It goes live to the unwashed heathen masses next week.

I'd say "WHO'S WITH ME", but I'm going to be out of town until Saturday.

edit:  link to the patch notes:  http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Release_Notes_DDO_Unlimited_Official

They also added a new clean server for this, Cannith.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 03:35:32 PM by Ard »
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 06:20:49 PM

My problem is that I reinstalled Guild Wars.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 06:38:08 PM

And?
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 06:42:59 PM

Yes.

Edit: I guess next week. Heartbreak
Edit2: can I start download this now before?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:02:35 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 07:51:46 PM

Yeah, your account just won't be active.

http://www.ddo.com/ddosupport/download-ddo

Anyone interested in maybe getting a weekly group going?  I don't really see this game as an all night/every night game, but it's a lot of fun to play through it with a static group that hasn't done everything more than a few times before and don't burn through the dungeons at a break neck speed.

I can play nights PST.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:54:48 PM by Ard »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 08:58:00 PM

Current character is Sylphaela on Sarlona.  Mainly she's for a duo with the roomie.  Dunno that I'll be playing much, but you're welcome to friend me.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 05:17:22 AM

CoX.  Free is not enough incentive at this point.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 06:33:11 AM

Suddenly my GW account is cocked up and I can't log in.  So... maybe!

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 08:42:16 AM

I'd be up for it. I need something to do these days.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 09:52:39 AM

Okay, I'm about to head out the door to the airport.  I'll check back on Saturday, and see how much interest there still is then.  If someone else can log in and wants to set up a bat country on Cannith (new server)  or Sarlona (now why would we want to exclude Lantyssa!?!) in the mean time, have at it.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 10:37:52 AM

I made some throw-away characters on Cannith to reserve names once I get unlocks.  I could always make one there.  If I play.  Which is a big if with all the games I have available right now and in the near future.

Xilren's Twin

Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 06:42:35 PM

Im still playing on Argonnesen with my friends,  but if a BC starts on the new server I'll throw another character on there. 
Right now im enjoying trying the new high level content b/c so few know it.

Spend and hour last night trying to do one level 19 quest, and we stumbled through it and got all the way to the end before losing at the boss fight (wiped 3 times before the timer ran out).  It was mucho fun.  Some of the new quests have multiple potential endings (i think one has 6).

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 06:41:16 AM

I'll be out of town for the weekend but I can go ahead and make a character on the new server.  I'm debating whether I should read the manual again or what-to-do since I don't understand this bastardized D&D-ish system at all.

Yeah, I'm old.  Suck it.

FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 11:40:01 PM

I'll try it out, haven't played since beta, so I'm an unwashed heathen mass.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 08:59:38 AM

Well, getting it d/l and patched up was pretty easy.  I am annoyed this won't open for labor day weekend.

"Me am play gods"
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 09:39:32 PM

Well, I'm back and alive in front of the internet, currently mucking around on Cannith as Ardyn, if anyone is even still interested.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 02:00:41 PM

It would seem Tazelbain can't login. Is it not actually live? Or did it open today?
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 02:10:39 PM

The best I can tell is the head-start started on the 1st for existing accounts and everyone else get access on the 9th.

"Me am play gods"
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 02:25:06 AM

Well bitch.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 10:46:52 AM

It'll be live tomorrow for the unwashed masses.  I'm having a lot of fun this time around again.  Between the henchman and the dungeon scaling, you don't really need a full party anymore, except on Elite difficulty, which supposedly doesn't scale (but I've seen bug reports that claim otherwise).  Rolling as a rogue/ranger right now, because nothing is more fun than gimping yourself out the gate when you want other people to play with you  why so serious?
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 04:14:21 PM

One of my RL buddies wants to play this.  I tried to find my old account (its not tied to my main Turbine account) and its nowhere to be found.  So I will have to wait until they reopen account creation (starts again tomorrow).  Did we decide what server to play?

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 04:26:33 PM

Cannith is probably the best bet for a server, since it's brand new, and with no established economy.  It's also got a TON of players on it right now due to all this.  I'm not sure what condition the other servers are in.  Lantyssa has her old characters on Sarlona, and I think that's where my old one is as well, but I can't remember for sure.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 04:28:34 PM

So good old fashion server crashes for tomorrow?

"Me am play gods"
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 05:33:29 PM

Doubt it honestly.  This game has the instanced city zones to limit population from causing those issues.  Which still makes me wonder why they bothered at all to have more than one game server.  It's also been around for, what, 3 or 4 years now?  I mean, there might be a zergrushkekekekekeekeke on their servers tomorrow, but I'd be surprised, given how niche of a game this is.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 06:32:36 PM

Keeping mind 'old' means level 3 and going to be deleted for the character she is supposed to be once I have the favor.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 08, 2009, 09:06:50 PM

Mine was only level 4, but on Ghallandra, not Sarlona where I thought.  Couldn't remember for sure where they got server merged to.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #26 on: September 08, 2009, 09:55:31 PM

I found a price list from june. Couldn't find an undated list.

EDIT: This looks more recent price list
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 10:12:53 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #27 on: September 09, 2009, 06:04:59 AM

OK, got my dude made (I finally remembered my account info).  He is on the new server, named Cheddar, went with Wizard for me class.

Now, this free to play.  That does not mean the entire game, correct?  Looks like its all about the micro transaction.  Or am I misreading?  What has changed since 9/1?

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #28 on: September 09, 2009, 07:02:02 AM

ok. sorry about the back to back posting, but wanted to note a couple things.

1. Hard mode is HARDHARDHARD.  Its much more dificult then normal.  Its HARD.

2. You need to double click shit a lot, not just single click.  Example= Spending AP.  When talking to the NPC dude you need to double click the ability you want, then ok.

3.  Ultra High Ress Super Duper HD mode sucks.  Just do High, you are not missing anything.

4.  Turn off General Conversation before finishing first noob part.  It sucks.  Imagine every MMO you have ever played at launch.  Multiply that by a factor of 5.  Yeah.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 09, 2009, 11:10:34 AM

1. Hard mode is HARDHARDHARD.  Its much more dificult then normal.  Its HARD.

To address this, Hard mode is basically supposed to be level +1 and Elite is level +2.  Elite is also not supposed to scale to group size (although it currently does in a really wrong way where you start taking more damage than you're supposed to).  You gain 25% xp bonus for completing a quest on every difficulty level the first time you do it.  You also gain an increasing number of favor points for the highest difficulty you've beaten it at.  I believe you also get better/higher level loots on the upper difficulty levels potentially, but it's been a while since I've read up on how all this works.

edit:

The game is now microtransaction based, but there's also still a subscription option that unlocks everything and gives you a point stipend per month.  Someone did the math during the closed beta and it's more reasonable to pay the subscription than to unlock as you go if you're playing more than like a day a week.  You need to pay to uncap your level every 4 levels without a subscription, but you can potentially find the level unlock tokens as quest rewards.  I ended up finding my 5-8 one by level 3.  There are also a bunch of microtransaction related quest packs you don't have access to without paying unless you're a subscriber.  They more or less lifted the subscription model from Wizard 101 if you ever looked at that.

Also, all the races and classes aside from the Warforged unlock in game via favor points, if you don't want to spend the money.  You'll need to play a  potentially throwaway character first anyhow to get enough favor for a 32 point build character (either 400 for a drow, or I think 1500 for any other race).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 11:26:40 AM by Ard »
Xilren's Twin

Reply #30 on: September 09, 2009, 05:17:00 PM

To address this, Hard mode is basically supposed to be level +1 and Elite is level +2.  Elite is also not supposed to scale to group size (although it currently does in a really wrong way where you start taking more damage than you're supposed to).  You gain 25% xp bonus for completing a quest on every difficulty level the first time you do it.  You also gain an increasing number of favor points for the highest difficulty you've beaten it at.  I believe you also get better/higher level loots on the upper difficulty levels potentially, but it's been a while since I've read up on how all this works.

Yep; each quest completed grants a certain amount of favor points with greater rewards for Hard and Elite.  I.e.  a low level quest might give 1 favor for solo, 2 for normal, 4 for hard and 6 for elite.  You can get favor points even if you are too high a level to gain XP from a quest, which is why you'll see some groups form for "favor runs".

The game is now microtransaction based, but there's also still a subscription option that unlocks everything and gives you a point stipend per month.  Someone did the math during the closed beta and it's more reasonable to pay the subscription than to unlock as you go if you're playing more than like a day a week.  You need to pay to uncap your level every 4 levels without a subscription, but you can potentially find the level unlock tokens as quest rewards.  I ended up finding my 5-8 one by level 3.  There are also a bunch of microtransaction related quest packs you don't have access to without paying unless you're a subscriber.  They more or less lifted the subscription model from Wizard 101 if you ever looked at that.

Also, all the races and classes aside from the Warforged unlock in game via favor points, if you don't want to spend the money.  You'll need to play a  potentially throwaway character first anyhow to get enough favor for a 32 point build character (either 400 for a drow, or I think 1500 for any other race).

400 Drow race
1750 for 32 point characters (and you get a +2 stat tome of your choice)
2500 for Favored Soul

Also, they added some neat low level quests with this version.  Make sure you visit the Cerulean hills in the harbor (outdoor explorer area that now has 2 quests in it), and when you make it to the marketplace, do the Sharn syndicate series for some nice potential low level loot (elemental weapons).  I have no idea if those things are free straight out or not, but i enjoyed them when i started my Favored Soul a few days ago.

Also, with the new dungeon scaling, soloing seems easier than before, plus with addition of two new XP bonuses (10% Flawless Victory bonus if no one dies during the quest, plus another 10% if no one has to re-enter) and being able to buy bonus XP potions from the DDO store, leveling also seems faster.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 05:24:34 PM by Xilren's Twin »

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: September 09, 2009, 05:36:04 PM

Yeah, I ducked into the Cerulean Hills last night.  That area is neat, although I find the large proliferation of bugbear bards greatly worrisome.  The great hippie drum circle of annihilation can only be days away.

Pretty much everything I've run into so far is soloable for a melee character with a cleric henchman, far as I've seen up through level 3 so far.  I haven't mucked around as a caster at all this time around yet.

edit:  note, when I say soloable, I don't necessarily mean easily, some of them are still pretty rough.  The Butcher's Path is still one long tunnel of never-ending rape.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 05:38:48 PM by Ard »
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #32 on: September 09, 2009, 05:43:15 PM

Well, I am going to hold off joining.  I am not making a second turbine account.  
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 06:20:31 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #33 on: September 09, 2009, 06:03:17 PM

Eh, so how long might it take one to get 1750 points?

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 09, 2009, 06:22:43 PM

I'm at something like 250-300 at around level 3 having done almost all the level 1-2 quests on normal, no hard or elite.  Would probably be around 600 if  I had done them on elite and had to guess.  So I'd guess not too terribly long if you had other people to play with, at least a group of 3 and henchmen to handle elites.

edit: Okay, I was smoking some pretty serious crack here.  I only have 84 favor at this point.  My other rogue I rerolled this one from might have had more.  I'm pretty confused now.  My old level 4, nearly 5 paladin is sitting just shy of 300.

edit: okay, I'm posting WAY too much.  I've been far too bored the last few days.  Xilren can probably answer this question better than I can.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 12:10:32 AM by Ard »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Free to Play is sorta live  
Jump to: