Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:23:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: just got the August newsletter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: just got the August newsletter  (Read 29980 times)
slog
Terracotta Army

on: August 31, 2009, 05:05:22 PM

20% EXP & Renown Increase All Month!

September in the Old World promises to be a spectacular month in Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning! Five exclusive items will find their way into the eager hands of players across the Old World, the Wild Hunt will conclude, and three of WAR's best scenarios will be opened to characters of all Ranks and Tiers.

Translation:  We are  desperate!

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
columba
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 11:38:41 PM

It will be curious to see which scenarios they pull out.  More op'd trinket from pve isn't looking too fun though.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 12:09:47 AM

It will be curious to see which scenarios they pull out.  More op'd trinket from pve isn't looking too fun though.

The scenarios are Gates of Ekrund, Mourkain, and Temple of Isha.

The "exclusive items" are basically worthless.  If you resub now, you get a cloak (with no stats) and a pie (to throw).  So, yeah, have fun with that.

If you have been subbed since launch, you get a banner that boosts XP/RP gains (because someone who's been subbed for a year, they'd clearly need more XP at this point than new or returning players).  The "Wild Hunt" world event is a clusterfuck (surprise!) PQ in the middle of the RvR lake which requires a group to do anything, and I'm hearing it's stupidly difficult for the lower tiers.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 12:53:13 AM

I thought increasing EXP wasn't something they could just flip a switch on. Fancy that.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 12:57:40 AM

It was hard-coded.  Ohhhhh, I see.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 04:20:32 AM

They gathered their metrics?
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 07:10:32 AM

On Volkmar the PQ in the RVR area was a giant campfest where gaming performance was extra bad, and with all the people inside the PVE instance it of course meant that scenarios and meaningful RVR was non existent.

The only thing that appears to be good with Warhammer in the near future is that they are going to take Fortresses out of the RVR system, and the revamped City Invasions are actually pretty good if you have real people to fight.

I still think entirely too much PVE is in this game, and it would be nice to be able to obtain pocket items (with stats) and end game PVP weapons (LV+ equivalent) via the token system so that people can advance completely via PVP/RVR.

I doubt they can turn this game around before AION makes a big sucking sound, and takes away 40% of the remaining player base.  If that holds true then Warhammer may be 5 or less servers by December.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 07:19:42 AM

20% EXP & Renown Increase All Month!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRLExVldK0c

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 08:52:37 AM

I doubt they can turn this game around before AION makes a big sucking sound, and takes away 40% of the remaining player base.  If that holds true then Warhammer may be 5 or less servers by December.

You think Aion is that good for PvP that it will take and keep people from WAR? If so, I might consider Aion after all. I've been PvE'ing it up in LotRO because I figure if you're going to PvE, may as well play a game designed for it.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 09:15:54 AM

I still think entirely too much PVE is in this game, and it would be nice to be able to obtain pocket items (with stats) and end game PVP weapons (LV+ equivalent) via the token system so that people can advance completely via PVP/RVR.

Game makers are always going to run into trouble with the PvP aspect of MMO games like this if they try to go full or most PvP because it is very dependent upon users being connected and playing.  I would still argue that they just needed better PvE to give people something to do that was interesting when the PvP wasn't happening.  This isn't a popular notion, but I think the crappiness of the PvE was a strong contributor to the demise of this game, not necessarily the volume of PvE.

Something I think Mythic should fix ASAP is the idea that you get something different from PvP and PvE, i.e. you get an experience bar for each little thing you do.  EvE has that part right-  it's all the same, more or less, in the end no matter what path you choose.

Anyhoo, this game seems to have boiled down to utter and complete shit.  On to greener pastures.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 09:37:39 AM

WAR pvp is terrible after Tier 1.  A 20% boost in xp isn't going to change that. 

Aion isn't any better for pvp.  It's just a new game to play.  Aion will provide a new arms race for MMO gamers until they realize that it's just another shitty grind with a poorly thought out pvp slap on.  Oh... and you get to fly.

I don't get the Aion love at all.  Unless people really love playing feminine males using 6 year old gaming mechanics in a shiny visual package. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 09:45:15 AM

Aion will be a dud PvP wise in the US but it offers hope and WAR doesn't.  It is going to slaughter WAR's already sickly subs.

"Me am play gods"
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 09:57:32 AM

Aion will be a dud PvP wise in the US but it offers hope and WAR doesn't.  It is going to slaughter WAR's already sickly subs.

I think I'm missing the "hope" part.  Aion screams as a money grab.  I have zero confidence that it will manifest as anything but a mediocre experience with a grind guaranteed to generate 6 months of e-peen preening.  Beyond that, the mechanics just don't lend themselves to a polished pvp MMO game. 

Maybe I should have searched longer in beta, but I just didn't see anything about Aion that made it more than just another pve MMO with a pvp afterthought. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 09:59:59 AM

Aion will be as successful as War thought it would be-  300-500K pop.  It is pretty bland, by my estimation, but hell, people play the heck out of Eve, too. 
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 10:52:37 AM

WAR pvp is terrible after Tier 1.  A 20% boost in xp isn't going to change that. 

Of course it will. That xp boost will help vault your ass straight into the terrible, thereby making tier 1 just as bad as the rest by being so short lived (then maybe people will stop referencing it as a basis of comparison).  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 10:54:34 AM

I think I'm missing the "hope" part.  Aion screams as a money grab.  I have zero confidence that it will manifest as anything but a mediocre experience with a grind guaranteed to generate 6 months of e-peen preening.  Beyond that, the mechanics just don't lend themselves to a polished pvp MMO game. 

Maybe I should have searched longer in beta, but I just didn't see anything about Aion that made it more than just another pve MMO with a pvp afterthought. 
The perception of hope.

"Me am play gods"
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 12:11:24 PM

Has any mmo killed another?  I don't know anything about Aion but isn't this just another form of "this game sucks just wait till game x comes out".  WAR will kill WAR, nothing else.  I can't think of a logical reason for saying the 20% is only going to last a month, the only thing I'm coming up with is that September is the last month in a quarter.  It's like they don't care about October at all.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 12:14:40 PM

It's like they don't care about October at all.

I think that WAR is at a point where just holding a subscriber one more month is a win.  They need to find events and incentives that will get money from people 1 month at a time.  They have little hope for anything beyond that.  Not that they have any hope at all. 

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 12:18:37 PM

They're just milking it for every dollar they can get out of it.  I look for this to fold within 6 months.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 12:29:18 PM

Has any mmo killed another?

I think the straight answer to this is "no". Most MMOs deaths were self inflicted. But I can't imagine that one MMO hasn't had at least an affect on another MMOs population. With WARs house of cards being balanced entirely on population (you have to have a lot of people to have even a sliver of fun), I see the possibility that a good PvP contender could at least take a bite out of its population and that might lead down the road of failure.

Fake edit: Soon as I posted this, I realized that I'm wrong beyond just saying "no". While one MMO might take another's population, that has nothing to do with one killing the other and everything to do with the one killing itself. Because if it was a good game, people wouldn't leave.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:31:15 PM by Brogarn »
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 03:51:25 PM

WoW pretty much killed DaoC, I would argue that.

DaoC's population literally cut in half, if not more once WoW came out. It never stopped bleeding.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 04:12:50 PM

I'm sure WoW did AC2 no favours either. AC2 had lived for two years by the time WoW released, but packed up shop just a year after that. It had its expansion half-through that year, which failed to attract players, probably because of WoW, because that was basically all that had released recently. I imagine it simply was what broke the camel's back.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:18:37 PM by Tarami »

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 04:16:48 PM

Has any mmo killed another?

I think the straight answer to this is "no". Most MMOs deaths were self inflicted. But I can't imagine that one MMO hasn't had at least an affect on another MMOs population. With WARs house of cards being balanced entirely on population (you have to have a lot of people to have even a sliver of fun), I see the possibility that a good PvP contender could at least take a bite out of its population and that might lead down the road of failure.

Fake edit: Soon as I posted this, I realized that I'm wrong beyond just saying "no". While one MMO might take another's population, that has nothing to do with one killing the other and everything to do with the one killing itself. Because if it was a good game, people wouldn't leave.

Weirdly I blogged about this a couple of weeks ago. Games are mostly either stillborn or die of natural causes. It's rare indeed to see a game actually killed by anything other than its own live team.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #23 on: September 01, 2009, 06:27:30 PM

Has any mmo killed another?  I don't know anything about Aion but isn't this just another form of "this game sucks just wait till game x comes out".  WAR will kill WAR, nothing else.  I can't think of a logical reason for saying the 20% is only going to last a month, the only thing I'm coming up with is that September is the last month in a quarter.  It's like they don't care about October at all.
New MMOs do draw people away from old MMOs, though. Blizzard admitted to it when AoC and WAR came out, howeve a lot of those people went back to WoW after a while. Given the way WAR is going I think more people who will leave WAR to check out Aion will stick with Aion rather than going back to WAR.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 07:18:53 PM

Hell, WoW stabbed WAR in the face at least a little. I remember the first big dip in population was when they released the "let's prep for WotLK" patch. I remember it was when I still thought WAR was pretty fun, although my mind changed not soon after that, so it might've just been a coincidence.

God Save the Horn Players
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 01, 2009, 07:45:47 PM

It was a combination of WAR getting old and WoW starting to make one realize just how stale it had gotten.  I didn't start WoW up again for a while after that, but even on its own WAR was wearing on me.  I think picking up Guild Wars again is what finally drove the nail in that coffin.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 02, 2009, 07:58:06 AM

Warhammer will be absoultely ravaged by Aion, so many people are leaving the game their already sad numbers will see a signifigant blow.  Threads like these on every server forum where entire guilds are picking up and leaving. 

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309562
http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309955

Add to that posts like this where people are trying to sell off accounts lol
http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309282

Why I love Mythic is 1 month before Aion they came out with a horrible patch that was causing disconnects and server crashes for over a week.  Then they release this live event thats MORE PvE content and USELESS rewards.  Thanks for that cloak with no stats, yeah I think Ill remove my 2 piece stat cloak for one with nothing on it...Fing morons.
schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: September 02, 2009, 08:14:42 AM

There is no reason to leave WAR to go play Aion. That's known as "backing the wrong horse."

Of course, in this case neither horse is worth backing. So maybe it's better to say "lesser of two evils."
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 08:24:38 AM

DaoC's population literally cut in half, if not more once WoW came out. It never stopped bleeding.

I would argue that it was an assisted suicide. DAoC just needed help finishing the job the ToA expansion started, and WoW gladly obliged.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 02, 2009, 08:32:22 AM

I would argue that it was an assisted suicide. DAoC just needed help finishing the job the ToA expansion started, and WoW gladly obliged.

Actually, I went back to DAoC from WoW when Classic Servers were brought online. WoW's version of PvP that I had been waiting for turned out to be utter shit so I went back to the only game I actually liked the PvP in.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 02, 2009, 08:40:22 AM

There is no reason to leave WAR to go play Aion. That's known as "backing the wrong horse."

Of course, in this case neither horse is worth backing. So maybe it's better to say "lesser of two evils."

Well, its kinda like a new GF then after a year she got all fat so you start eyeing other girls who will probably give you an STD but dont care cause at least shes not the fat chick
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #31 on: September 02, 2009, 08:46:08 AM

Well, its kinda like a new GF then after a year she got all fat so you start eyeing other girls who will probably give you an STD but dont care cause at least shes not the fat chick

Ohhhhh, I see.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 02, 2009, 06:27:25 PM

One of them will have a sustainable population and thus wins by default.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: September 02, 2009, 07:23:47 PM

Eh I'd sooner return to WAR than I'd try Aion. If only because for all its faults WAR is set in the Warhammer universe. And I don't know the lore or license very well, but the Aion setting is totally repugnant. If you actually like the Warhammer license, I imagine the choice is even clearer.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #34 on: September 02, 2009, 08:15:09 PM

Eh I'd sooner return to WAR than I'd try Aion. If only because for all its faults WAR is set in the Warhammer universe. And I don't know the lore or license very well, but the Aion setting is totally repugnant. If you actually like the Warhammer license, I imagine the choice is even clearer.

To each their own...brand loyalty has its place. I like things that work over things that don't regardless if its pink and I prefer black.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: just got the August newsletter  
Jump to: