Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:11:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Radical New Armour Set Redesign! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Radical New Armour Set Redesign!  (Read 24548 times)
Pagz
Terracotta Army

I AM GOING TO WRESTLE THIS BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS!

on: August 20, 2009, 05:22:38 PM

Oh wait actually we're just going to finally replace the placeholder armour pieces.

We often get feedback from you, our players, requesting more diversity between the armor sets

Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 05:31:26 PM by Pagz »
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 05:38:49 PM

I love the way the "before" shots are all low res with the graphics options turned off.  Wow, the new ones do look a lot better, for some reason!

Seriously, though, they do at least look pretty neat (though the Blackguard and Sword Master all look a bit samey to me).  It would be nice if they actually had some badass looking White Lions for once.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 05:43:34 PM

So, for more diversity, they redo current armor instead of adding more. In a game where you can DYE ARMOR.

I'm not sure they understand how the word diversity was used in their own sentence.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 07:23:22 PM

Those look less diverse than the originals Ohhhhh, I see.

Also why does Mythic always insist on using the most fucked up content delivery networks?
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 07:36:40 PM

Also why does Mythic always insist on using the most fucked up content delivery networks?

Are they that f'n cheap to host images? I mean they run their own bulk mailer which makes less sense because doing email marketing is way more cost/resource intensive imho.

ie: from a newsletter
Message-ID: <xxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxx.JavaMail.root@maestro.global.ffx.eamythic.net>
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 07:41:46 PM

Well, the new armor does it for me.  I'm resubbing.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 07:42:24 PM

Are they that f'n cheap to host images? I mean they run their own bulk mailer which makes less sense because doing email marketing is way more cost/resource intensive imho.

ie: from a newsletter
Message-ID: <xxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxx.JavaMail.root@maestro.global.ffx.eamythic.net>
They are using fileburst.com. Getting the newsletter to load has always been a chore for me because of that fucking CDN.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 07:55:42 PM

They are using fileburst.com. Getting the newsletter to load has always been a chore for me because of that fucking CDN.

Why am I not surprised, so they use a shitty CDN to deliver technically simple content but do their own email marketing delivery swamp poop

For anyone who's never setup a reliable mass marketing SMTP mailer is a PITA to any admin for the simple reasons of RTBL and very touchy ISP's that take end user reporting of spam as a trusted legitimate complaint. Heck most major companies use them because the simplicity generally provided via an API for member list management to any CRM, a simple budgetable cost structure and the technical requirements is generally a DKIM or SPF modification.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 10:27:04 PM

Is it just me, or has Mythic applied a poncy douchebag shader to most of those models?
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 11:30:14 PM

It's just you.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 12:55:11 AM

this guy looks legit

See the similarities?  Maybe not poncy douchebag in this case, I have no clue what to call it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 01:30:28 AM

Posed in a custom environment with every bell and whistle turned on with perfect lighting is what you should call it.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 02:21:02 AM

But still, it has that little extra something that makes you look at it and say, "That man right there wants to rape a child."  It's worse than Blizzard's shoulder fixation, and that's saying something.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 02:24:30 AM

But still, it has that little extra something that makes you look at it and say, "That man right there wants to rape a child."  It's worse than Blizzard's shoulder fixation, and that's saying something.

I think you're projecting.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 06:07:06 AM

We were talking about this last night(my guildies and I).  Here they are with new armor sets and at the same time we were all sitting at the chracter select screen while the server crashed for the third time in 4 hours.  I guess at least I can look cool while I sit staring at my avatar while I wait for the server to recoup from its last anneurism.  Good times
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 06:14:59 AM

Artists don't generally write server code.

I feel your pain but complaining about art upgrades is missing the point a little.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 06:29:11 AM

Maybe they ARE writing the code in this case, hence the crashing!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 06:33:03 AM

3 star talent.  why so serious?
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 06:46:36 AM

Artists don't generally write server code.

I feel your pain but complaining about art upgrades is missing the point a little.

Im well aware, but that provides 0 comfort.  Maybe they should get some of these "artists" to redraw all the dam rocks and trees that people get stuck on 100 times a night for no reason :P
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 07:06:35 AM

Ya.. I'm not seeing what you're seeing at all. Less 4 chan /b and more real life, maybe?

Beyond that, I happen to like Mythic's art. Both in DAoC and in WAR. I think they have some very talented folks working for them. Its a pity the rest of the game is such shit.

Also, did they really need to do before and after pics with different graphics quality settings? I can see the differences in the armor and think the new stuff is interesting. I don't need the deception. Its a bit insulting.
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 08:11:44 AM

I'm not sure I get it.

I am certain that my long cancelled Rank 20-something Swordmaster is wearing garden variety armor that *exactly* resembles the Darkpromise Set.

...unless they nerfed the regular leveling armor to make the set armor cooler after I left?

I've always liked the art (esp. compared to WoW), but this is not the awesomesauce upgrade that DAOC epics were to your pre-50 armor types.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 08:53:01 AM

Its ghetto fabulous...and now with more BLING! I mean come on, there is nothing wrong with putting $5k chrome spinner 20s on that 1986 El Dorado...sheesh.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 09:09:42 AM

All the Swordmaster armor looked the same.  It looked good, it just got tiresome to upgrade into basically the same armor.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 09:14:50 AM

Yeah but all the high elf classes except shadow warrior are like that.  Not much you can do with a white robe and a pope hat.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 09:27:48 AM

All the Swordmaster armor looked the same.  It looked good, it just got tiresome to upgrade into basically the same armor.

Mythic: Congrajulations on Rank 10! Here's your first piece of SM armor.
Me: Cool. Looks badass.
Mythic: I'm glad you like it, because that's what you'll be wearing all the time.
Me: There's no other models at all?
Mythic: Well...you can dye it pink! Waaaaagh!
Me: Where did I put that WoW Cd again?

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 09:47:41 AM

Mythic: Well...you can dye it pink! Waaaaagh!

Heh.`
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 10:03:38 AM

'Heh' is right.  I remember getting excited I could dye a new part of the armor with one upgrade.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 11:37:15 AM

Every time I saw a Sword Master, I couldn't stop laughing thinking of 'The Bishop'.

Complete with their version of that El Dorado ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpX3XdU-V9o

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 03:23:12 PM

Every time I saw a Sword Master, I couldn't stop laughing thinking of 'The Bishop'.

Complete with their version of that El Dorado ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpX3XdU-V9o

WIN
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #29 on: August 23, 2009, 09:09:37 PM

Why did the Zealot's posture change?
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 23, 2009, 10:38:34 PM

Why did the Zealot's posture change?

They always looked like that when they sheathed their weapons (though the game used to not send that info, so unless you played a Zealot yourself, you probably wouldn't have seen it).
Pendan
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 24, 2009, 12:09:11 PM

Adding a different look to each armor set is unlikely to make the client perform better. With a client that goes bad loading textures from 50 characters things will get worse when the characters in set 1 is no longer sharing textures with characters in set 2, 3, and 4.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 25, 2009, 07:11:16 PM

I still cannot, for the life of me, understand the love for a neckbeard in a sleeveless trenchcoat.
Delmania
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 25, 2009, 07:54:14 PM

I still cannot, for the life of me, understand the love for a neckbeard in a sleeveless trenchcoat.

You're not British. 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Radical New Armour Set Redesign!  
Jump to: