Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:06:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ 'Next' 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EQ 'Next'  (Read 525339 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2030 on: February 04, 2014, 10:15:34 AM

Can you dig way down and set your claim there instead of the surface?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2031 on: February 04, 2014, 10:24:27 AM

I am not sure you can put your claim 100% underground, it would be cool to try. I think you can, but chances are you still have to have a 10% overground. No idea though, and I don't have another claim flag to test it.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2032 on: February 04, 2014, 10:41:20 AM

I think I have enough dirt, stone and sand to build a new server!  What I can't seem to find is metal.  :(

Because of Lantyssa, now I want to build a place really deep underground with skylights.  As long as they leave in the "reset to surface" command.  Not a cave, though.  I don't want to turn into a mushroom like Malakili!  More like a non-sex dungeon. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2033 on: February 04, 2014, 10:51:32 AM

Signe, you can't miss copper, is everywhere and very orange! Tin, is beneath copper. You dig down under the orange patch, and there is tin. These are the only metals you can mine with the starting pick, but it's enough (with a ton of other tier 1 materials) to build a bronze pick which can be used to mine iron (black patch). Essentially, look for the orange patches and make a mess there. There's a bazillion of them, unless you are in a tier 2 or 3 zone. If that is the case, go to the teleport and warp to a lower tier zone. Crest is where I live, plenty of metals around my shelter.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2034 on: February 04, 2014, 11:09:21 AM

I'm tempted by Falc and Signe to buy into this, but I'm also kinda not feeling it.

Meh. I'll probably cave by next week.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #2035 on: February 04, 2014, 11:20:45 AM

So you are telling me you can build an entire network of Hobbit holes?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2036 on: February 04, 2014, 11:27:50 AM

I don't see colours most of the time.  It a weird bug, I think.  Other people are not seeing the colours, too.  Until then I'll just make a mess where ever I don't see one already.  :)

My laptop keeps reverting to integrated graphics but I'm not sure why.  Some people have said this happens to them, too.  Now I'm one of those people, aren't I?  :(
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 11:43:11 AM by Signe »

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2037 on: February 04, 2014, 11:40:59 AM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2038 on: February 04, 2014, 11:58:18 AM

I think there's already lots to have fun with, but also many reasons for frustration being the very first days of alpha. For example, the little bits of stuff I built on my plot have already been deleted twice, and so did my crafting stations. No matter how much I am enjoying it, I wouldn't recommend anyone to spend 60$ on it at this point, especially considering it will be free. It is definitely worth waiting at least a couple of weeks, if not a month. If not two months.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #2039 on: February 04, 2014, 02:51:26 PM

So this sounds like a 60 dollar minecraft. With a sub. I feel the saying "this will end well" welling up inside me.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2040 on: February 04, 2014, 02:54:56 PM

No sub I think? F2P. I think the fact that we are using the same thread to discuss Landmark and EQ Next is awfully confusing to be honest.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2041 on: February 04, 2014, 03:19:24 PM

It's a free to play game (as opposed to Minecraft that has a price tag) and has many features that Minecraft doesn't and won't have. Useless post is useless.

Yeah, Landmark probably deserves its own thread.

EDIT: some words were missing.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 03:43:06 PM by Falconeer »

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #2042 on: February 04, 2014, 04:55:38 PM

This is my piece of land. Hard not to feel proud about it. If anything, this game wins (and will win) because it makes you feel incredibly attached to your plot and whatever you'll be able to build on it.
Is that a fully, relatively functionally dressed female character I see on these screenshots? This is amazing.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #2043 on: February 04, 2014, 05:21:00 PM

I dunno, you only saw her from the back.  She could still have a boob window like the mage in the early demos.

Also, Falcon, are your visuals turned down?  I ask because the terrain in the screenshots doesn't look nearly as nice as what they had in the demo videos.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #2044 on: January 01, 2015, 04:01:22 PM

Yes, SOE are still making an actual MMO as well as Landmark, and they've been talking about how they create content for players in an MMO without traditional quests, which I thought ws interesting.

Basically, NPC factions are going to have their own AI, allowing them to be assigned goals, and areas of land will have resources. So for example, NPCs might have a goal of building themselves a fortress, or increasing their wealth (by raiding merchant caravans, perhaps) or controlling sources of magical power, or whatever. Their goals lead them to behave in a certain way, and players can either help them or try to stop them. The NPCs can also have queues of goals, so that when they achieve one, they start on the next.

To help players make sense of all this, they will have a journal giving them a basic overview of what's going on in each region.

There will be loads of scenarios going on across the world - sometimes bringing NPC factions into conflict with each other. All of them are designed to provide content for players.

SOE devs talked about this in a film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gJgZDZdnHc

While attention seems to be focusing on Landmark - understandably, as you can actually play Landmark and there is no way of knowing when EQ Next will be playable - development on EQ Next is proceeding and it looks to me like they are at least trying to do something different with the MMO genre.

See spoiler for background on EQ Next, otherwise known as "why is this not in the Landmark thread?"
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2045 on: January 01, 2015, 07:15:47 PM

Damn i was hoping for a new video, that's from September.

I am the .00000001428%
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2046 on: January 02, 2015, 01:55:33 AM

What is interesting is that they are trying to use this thing called "Storybricks", which on paper sounds really cool as it should be an AI devoted to quests. We'll see if it gets to anything remotely fun as a game.

http://www.storybricks.com/games.html

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2047 on: January 02, 2015, 04:45:29 AM

At least somebody's still trying to do what some of have been imagining for years was a possible direction for an MMO to go. I do not believe it's technically insoluable, and I'm sure that if it's done right, it would solve a lot of the issues that diku-style MMOs will always have with content and endgame play.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2048 on: January 02, 2015, 06:24:36 AM

[snip]
Basically, NPC factions are going to have their own AI, allowing them to be assigned goals, and areas of land will have resources. So for example, NPCs might have a goal of building themselves a fortress, or increasing their wealth (by raiding merchant caravans, perhaps) or controlling sources of magical power, or whatever. Their goals lead them to behave in a certain way, and players can either help them or try to stop them. The NPCs can also have queues of goals, so that when they achieve one, they start on the next.
[snip]

Do want!  Will believe it when I see it.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2049 on: January 02, 2015, 07:28:14 AM

They said all of the a year ago when they announced the  game. None of that is new. 
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2050 on: January 02, 2015, 09:33:59 AM

It's a great idea.  I just wish it wasn't SOE responsible for bringing it to us as I don't have much faith they're capable of it.

Still, I do hope they surprise me.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2051 on: January 02, 2015, 11:21:15 AM

It's a great idea.  I just wish it wasn't SOE responsible for bringing it to us as I don't have much faith they're capable of it.

This right here.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #2052 on: January 02, 2015, 09:42:40 PM

In whom would you have much faith?
WayAbvPar

Reply #2053 on: January 03, 2015, 12:29:41 AM

Yep. Hopefully I will still have some Station Cash when this finally launches  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2054 on: January 03, 2015, 10:13:40 AM

In whom would you have much faith?
Right now I'd have trouble naming a team.  But I know anything SOE does is going to succeed only despite itself due to endemic problems.  We're more likely to get good results out of a group of unknowns.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #2055 on: January 03, 2015, 09:47:19 PM

I dunno, I don't feel like scrappy indie underdogs really have a better track record with "classic" MMORPGs than established companies do. Heavily instanced titles like Marvel Heroes or Guild Wars 1, sure, but more open-worldy stuff is pretty poor prospects anywhere you go. At this point, I think I'll take SOE.

Maybe Funcom.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2056 on: January 04, 2015, 12:22:19 PM

I dunno, I don't feel like scrappy indie underdogs really have a better track record with "classic" MMORPGs than established companies do. Heavily instanced titles like Marvel Heroes or Guild Wars 1, sure, but more open-worldy stuff is pretty poor prospects anywhere you go. At this point, I think I'll take SOE.

Maybe Funcom.

I won't take any major studio that has a person that has been in upper middle management or higher in charge of an MMORPG to actually make a good "classic" or open world MMO. SOE still has the same top end guys. They don't have a track record to speak of. Blizzard? No. Funcom? lol. Trion? I highly doubt it, but I would be interested in them trying.

Who else is out there? The only interesting things coming out that I can see are from Korea, and they are riddled with RNG/Grinding shit not to mention full of hacks.

I'll believe SOE when I see the product. For now, I'll quietly follow Black Desert to see what they can do.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #2057 on: January 06, 2015, 11:40:32 AM

The original Ultima Online design concept sought to do this but it was abandoned due to (I think) the processing load required. I have little confidence SOE will achieve something that works like the above description. Additionally, such a design is likely to be exploited in interesting ways by players.

I have never played WoW.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2058 on: January 06, 2015, 11:45:26 AM

The original Ultima Online design concept sought to do this but it was abandoned due to (I think) the processing load required. I have little confidence SOE will achieve something that works like the above description. Additionally, such a design is likely to be exploited in interesting ways by players.

I wish someone would pick up some of the good stuff from the original design (like the ecosystems with prey/predators) in a world large enough to have some actual wilderness to it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2059 on: January 06, 2015, 12:00:29 PM

Large enough to support the chinese farmers and powergamers? And still small enough to make sense and be a fun game?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2060 on: January 06, 2015, 06:13:34 PM

You can't do it realistically.  Remember all the species that seemed too abundant to ever run out but did?  Buffalo, passenger pigeons, every fish species ever...

WayAbvPar

Reply #2061 on: January 06, 2015, 06:35:25 PM

You can't do it realistically.  Remember all the species that seemed too abundant to ever run out but did?  Buffalo, passenger pigeons, every fish species ever...

But upping a spawn rate in a virtual world is a lot easier than getting buffaloes to fuck it out.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2062 on: January 06, 2015, 06:43:37 PM

Yes, but players will kill virtual animals even faster and for longer periods of time.

I'm not saying it couldn't be cool if you plan for genocide, just that you can't make it both realistic and fun.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2063 on: January 06, 2015, 07:27:02 PM

Or players will just build housing on top of all the spawn points...
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2064 on: January 10, 2015, 09:16:44 PM

This is all why these concepts are better on paper than implementation. Players think the world runs like Star Trek or Star Wars: whole planets of singular ecosystems with maybe 2-3 dominate lives and everything else a copy/paste of their backyard. Why can't owlbears fight falcons fight drakes fight owlbears into equilibrium (or whichever those three species those Shadows of Luclin zones tried?).

The reality is to create an actual closed self-balancing ecosystem is basically to create life. Forget AI. You want a system that works, you're creating an entire ecology.

The luminary who sells this snakeoil to shareholders is never around long enough to see players not actually encounter what couldn't be built  awesome, for real
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ 'Next'  
Jump to: