Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:39:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ 'Next' 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 60 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EQ 'Next'  (Read 530604 times)
Kovacs
Terracotta Army

on: August 16, 2009, 11:03:52 AM

EQ "Next' inDevelopment.  

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=19260

Yeah.  I guess anything that's anything started from nothing and they really got me with innovative and outside the box.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 11:08:23 AM by Kovacs »
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 11:38:01 AM

Yeah.  I guess anything that's anything started from nothing and they really got me with innovative and outside the box.

...what?

Anyways, yeah. They're making another EQ - who really is surprised about that?

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 12:39:35 PM

Does this mean that "EverQuest Next" will give players an innovative, outside of the MMO box look at Norrath? Is it safe to assume that the next installment of EverQuest will be console bound? Currently, there's not much room for anything other than speculation.

I don't think you have to speculate on microtrans and solo ability being part of the design. I'm fairly certain they learned their lesson on the second, and the first is the way SOE's talked about things for a bit now.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 03:00:06 PM

HHK Nobles camp LF1M!

awesome, for real
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 06:16:05 PM

SOE and a whole bunch of old EQ players are both on the same page about this. They both want to recover the glory days when they were relevant.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 06:27:49 PM

Whatever the next EQ is, it will decidedly not be for the old EQ players. If it bares any resemblance to any part of EQ2 I'd be shocked. And unless FR starts doing some amazing numbers (as in, EQ1 heydey numbers), I don't think it'll be that either.

But then, I'd be shocked if it launches at all. EQ is an important brand, but the success of SOE seems more based on its infrastructure to support new games than any reliance on any one game.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 09:00:48 PM

I don't know. If you squint your eyes while looking at Free Realms you can see a lot of stripped down EQ2 in it. I can see them making a more streamlined EQ2 writ large with non-terrible graphics. The problem would be cannibalizing a market three ways instead of the already bad two. I'd kill for an EQ2 that doesn't make me motion sick so I'd be all about it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 09:11:27 PM

And unless FR starts doing some amazing numbers (as in, EQ1 heydey numbers), I don't think it'll be that either.

Hm, so it hasn't been churning all those free accounts into a steady microtrans revenue stream?  I haven't been following.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 06:18:29 AM

EQ and SOE are both dead names in the MMO world.  They currently run a list of games that are all almost in the can, even EQ2 isnt doing well.  They would need to pull a miracle out of their butt to pull off another EQ title that would do well.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 07:48:07 AM

I started playing EQ as my last hurrah for the summer.  Reactivated my old account and started a new Necromancer.  It's almost a completely different game.  The newb zones are dead, but there are generally about 200 people in general chat on 7th Hammer at any given time.  From what I hear a lot of people got pulled into their new 50/51 server too.  I don't see why though.  In less than 2 weeks you can have a 55/100 and the defiant gear pretty much trivializes everything for it's level until big raids I guess.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 09:44:48 AM

I think SOE has learned some hard lessons over the past 4 years, I wouldn't count them out yet. However I would like to see some concrete info on what the plan is for EQ3.
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 10:02:50 AM

EQ and SOE are both dead names in the MMO world.  They currently run a list of games that are all almost in the can, even EQ2 isnt doing well.  They would need to pull a miracle out of their butt to pull off another EQ title that would do well.
I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say you know nothing about SOE or their financial situation or how their games are actually doing.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 10:04:32 AM

I think the name is good.  In fact, when I heard SOE was making a new EQ game, I even said:  NEXT!  In any case, I'll probably play it for at least a month when it happens.  I'm a whore.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 10:10:58 AM

It would surprise me if SoE didn't attempt to roll current subscribers of both EQ and EQ2 into a new product. Assuming that EQnext isn't complete departure from EQ/EQ2.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 10:18:49 AM

If EQ3 continues down the convenience path like FR, EQ2 and added more robust sidekicking/mentoring, I'd be very interested. I love some old fashion dungeon crawls also.  More adventure, less instance farming.

Both EQ2 and EQ are in slow burn.  I don't know why Sony should worry about eating it's own playerbase.  Someone is going eat them.  Better it be Sony and have the chance of returning to the top.  
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 11:42:58 AM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 11:31:33 AM

I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say you know nothing about SOE or their financial situation or how their games are actually doing.

EQ1 - how many servers are they down to?   
EQ2 - server merges over the last 3 years and many servers today calling for more.  There are only 2 servers in EQ2 considered "decent pop".  You do the math.
SWG - lol
Planetside - servers merged in the past and more merging this month
Vanguard - lol x 2
MxO - shutdown

I never said they dont make money(they probably do, how much would be in debate) but their current MMO lineup is weak and dying as time goes on.  Most of their games left now are 4+ years old.  Some of these games only survive because of the sony pass holding them together. All their games have or are merging servers(SWG being an exception but its probably due to player housing). 

schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 11:41:08 AM

I was not looking to argue with someone who has such a keen view of the inside.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 12:41:20 PM

many servers today calling for more.  There are only 2 servers in EQ2 considered "decent pop".
4um nolej ACTIV8!
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 01:19:04 PM

how is Free Realms?  I thought that was printing moneyhats.  If so, expect EQ3 to move that way, with console.  Leaping, jumping, AssassinsCreed-breadcrumbquesting-moneyhats.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 01:26:01 PM

I've played both EQ and EQ2 in the last three months.  Both could use merges on their low end servers to reinforce populations.  EQ2 especially works better on High population servers and it would be in SOE's best interest to merge on the lower pop ones. 

That said, I don't think their situation is as dire as some make it out.  The TCG built into the games keeps a lot of people there and the population on the two EQ servers I play on is very strong. 

The lore is solid and I'd buy EQ3 to try for a couple months on name alone.  Yes, even after being burned numerous times in the past few years on other MMOs.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 01:30:44 PM

Another title in the EQ series would get a serious look-see by a ton of people just for the name.  It is a great foot in the door.  I'm pretty stoked to see how it turns out.  That being said, SOE titles suck ass right now.  They need some oomph. 
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 01:45:59 PM

I'll take 'MMO brandnames that are no longer relevant' for 200, Alex.

The angst this has generated over at foh is hysterical.  And jebus Smedley looks old. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 01:46:17 PM

EQ3 would rock. If Scott Hartsman were leading the team. Otherwise, meh.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 01:47:35 PM

Just about any MMO with Hartsman at the helm would probably rock.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 02:03:14 PM

EQ3 would rock. If Scott Hartsman were leading the team. Otherwise, meh.

This.  The EQ2 turnaround was the best save of an MMO I've ever seen. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 03:30:25 PM

It's a pitty then, that guy took his bandanna and left SOE.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 03:46:24 PM

He left SOE for his startup.  He has also left his startup.  He could be anywhere.

"Me am play gods"
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 04:05:59 PM

I'd say I'm looking forward to this, but I really dont like SOE's business model these days (micro trans) so I am hesitant. I'd probably still play it for a month or so.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 05:29:37 PM

It could be good, if they hired the right people. It's fun to bash EQ now, but for it's time it was revolutionary. And it still has some of the most imaginative design we've seen in an MMO yet.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 05:39:08 PM

Can I have some of what he's smoking, please?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 17, 2009, 05:46:37 PM

Get off my lawn! why so serious? Beating a Dead Horse Popcorn roflcopter

that's really all that needs to be said.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: August 17, 2009, 05:53:57 PM

Get off my lawn! why so serious? Beating a Dead Horse Popcorn roflcopter

that's really all that needs to be said.

The generic high fantasy blender was very original.  There, I said more.   awesome, for real
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 17, 2009, 06:30:15 PM

If EQ2 re-released now with an updated graphical engine I would play that.

I'm not sure I want to start another fantasy MMO that is stuck in the just launched and has no extended content and is also rife with gameplay issues that will be worked out over the next two years phase.  Solid Sci-Fi MMO IP though?  Yeah, I'd give them a couple of breaks.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 17, 2009, 06:49:54 PM

If EQ2 re-released now with an updated graphical engine I would play that.

I'm not sure I want to start another fantasy MMO that is stuck in the just launched and has no extended content and is also rife with gameplay issues that will be worked out over the next two years phase.  Solid Sci-Fi MMO IP though?  Yeah, I'd give them a couple of breaks.

Graphics weren't what made eq2 boring and bland.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 17, 2009, 09:03:58 PM

You can't blame them really.  They are thinking that despite recent failures and some past successes that they at least have to try to go up against Blizzard's next gen MMO, and if they do nothing but replicate WoW's polish, ease of entrance, and casual friendly atmosphere, then they can compete based on something as easy a realistic graphics vs. Blizzard's generally cartoony look that turns many off.  So no, I'm not saying they have any reason to be that optomistic, but it really isn't a huge stretch to think that after all this time they see a new window opening between WoW1 and WoW2.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 60 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: EQ 'Next'  
Jump to: