Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:54:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - Atlus - DS 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - Atlus - DS  (Read 4817 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

on: August 11, 2009, 10:51:51 PM

The latest offering in the SMT franchise ventures into SRPG territory. The summoning and fusing of demons is still present, but dungeon exploration is replaced with a battle grid. Each character is grouped with up to two demons; when a character attacks an enemy both sides make one round of traditional RPG combat before returning to the grid (similar to Soul Nomad and Ogre Battle, although you are granted full control over each unit). The mix of SRPG and traditional RPG combat works really well. As in most SMT games, battles are challenging; exploiting elemental weaknesses is key to victory.

The story borrows a page from The World Ends With You; the characters are trapped in Tokyo, which is locked down by the military following a demonic invasion. Actions taken in game consume time-a half an hour of time per story sequence or battle (although there are random battles that do not, for when you inevitably have to grind a few levels)-and there are indications in game of a 7 day time limit. The setting is modern Tokyo, with events happening in different districts; this comes off as  awesome, for real or  swamp poop depending on how much of a weeaboo you are.

If you like SMT games or (S)RPGs, Buy it!

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 05:40:57 AM

The story borrows a page from The World Ends With You; the characters are trapped in Tokyo, which is locked down by the military following a demonic invasion.

Uh, no.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 05:19:55 PM

I'll elaborate and say that it borrows a page from Nocturne, and possibly previous SMT games that I do not have.

SMT + SRPG = awesome, for real

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 11:51:06 PM

It's not much like Persona, which is the SMT subseries with which I am most familiar.

Sorry if the TWEWY call was off; the 7 day death clock thing combined with the modern Tokyo setting just gave me that vibe.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 08:14:24 AM

You should probably read this, then. It's not as boring as these things tend to be.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 10:29:08 AM

You should probably read this, then. It's not as boring as these things tend to be.
Of all the people on the internet that know shit about games, HCG101 is pretty much the only place where I'm willing to admit defeat when it comes to knowledge of obscure shit. They outpace me every single time. I <3 them.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - Atlus - DS  
Jump to: