Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:11:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 NFL 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 NFL  (Read 169873 times)
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: November 08, 2009, 06:28:28 PM

Packers looked like they cared more about getting Ahman Green the all-time team rushing yards mark than they did actually beating a hitherto winless squad.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #281 on: November 08, 2009, 07:36:26 PM

Packers looked like they cared more about getting Ahman Green the all-time team rushing yards mark than they did actually beating a hitherto winless squad.

Green Bay has taken some really tough loses, not bounced back at all, they are falling apart all over the place I would feel bad for them if I wasn't so happy with the rest of this season.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #282 on: November 08, 2009, 08:57:44 PM

HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS!

Also, wow the Giants have imploded. I'm not even sure what's wrong, but expect the Coughlin firing talk to start again soon. (Just like it did before he won a Super Bowl).

NY fans are morons.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: November 09, 2009, 07:35:58 AM

awesome, for real

From what I understand, the core of the Bucs players (Lynch, Brooks, Barber, Sapp) refused to wear the throwbacks for years because of the futility those jerseys represented. Couldn't be happier they put them on to beat the Packers.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #284 on: November 09, 2009, 08:34:50 AM

We were laughing at the commentators who really, really wanted to keep making loser jersey references. And made them when the Bucs had bad plays, but totally forgot about it when they were doing well. Commentators,  awesome, for real
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #285 on: November 09, 2009, 08:49:51 AM

Wish I could have seen how the fucking Packers could blow a 3-touchdown lead to the goddamn Bucs. What the fuck? With the talent that team has, they have no business losing that game. I'll continue to blame all their troubles on a shitty O-line.

The Giants looked ok for a good bit of that game, but their defense just fell apart near the end. The Chargers continue to be unable to run the ball, but apparently that's ok, because they can pass like motherfuckers. Had the Chargers receivers not gone through a quarter of the dropsies, they might have won by 2 touchdowns.

The Colts really should not have had so much trouble with the Texas, as they were passing up and down the field most of the first half. They couldn't turn all that into touchdowns though. As for the Saints, I had no doubts about them beating Carolina - the Panthers are really fucking bad this year.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #286 on: November 09, 2009, 12:55:28 PM

re: Colts v Texans.  The Texans are not bad, really if they had Slaton and Daniels I would have picked them as likely to upset Indy. 

re: Giants v Chargers.  Like Haem said, if there wasn't a bunch of dropped balls in that game it would never have been that close.  Also everyone who I watched with knew Rivers was going to win it once he got the ball back down 6.  Eli is doing that thing he does where he plays amazing then sucks.  The foot thing or just typical Eli is not Peyton.

re: Packers.  Seriously this team is completely falling apart.  The defense isn't happy, the QB has gotten hit so much its starting to fuck with him and the o-line is a wreck.  Even during a season where the Bears are a joke they don't look like they deserve a wildcard spot.  This has gotta be a huge blow to Pack fans because they don't even look close to being a superbowl contender.  Not even close.  But its not a franchise that rebuilds really so I'm not sure what they are going to do.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #287 on: November 09, 2009, 01:47:00 PM

The Packers rebuild - they just haven't really had to do it since Favre got there. They have some seriously good young talent at the skill positions: Jennings, Jones, Rodgers, Cullen Jenkins, all 4 of the linebackers. There are teams that have made the playoffs with less (last year's Eagles team, for instance). But if they don't address that gaping shithole that is their O-line, none of it will matter. I'm still not sure about the switch to the 3-4, mainly because of how much it takes Kampman out of pass rush. I never expected them to be Super Bowl contenders this year without some serious miracles, but I didn't expect them to lose to the shittastic Bucs.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #288 on: November 09, 2009, 02:36:05 PM

and in bigger news, the Browns coach is stalling on naming the starting QB for the Ravens game! How does Baltimore prepare for the game without knowing who is going to be at the helm???  why so serious?

I could kill my parents for making me and birthing me right outside of Cleveland and thus plaguing my life with this town's inept sports teams.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: November 09, 2009, 03:48:16 PM

The Packers rebuild - they just haven't really had to do it since Favre got there. They have some seriously good young talent at the skill positions: Jennings, Jones, Rodgers, Cullen Jenkins, all 4 of the linebackers. There are teams that have made the playoffs with less (last year's Eagles team, for instance). But if they don't address that gaping shithole that is their O-line, none of it will matter. I'm still not sure about the switch to the 3-4, mainly because of how much it takes Kampman out of pass rush. I never expected them to be Super Bowl contenders this year without some serious miracles, but I didn't expect them to lose to the shittastic Bucs.

Packers had no business losing that game. They outgained Bucs almost 2X in yards from scrimmage, yet could never shelve game away…

• …as mentioned earlier, seeming to be more interested in getting Ahman Green all-time team rushing mark, than putting away the game…

• …blocked kick

• …Rodgers getting sacked and he threw some really stupid passes

Eagles should have dusted up Cowboys too. Some bad breaks (got really screwed on that 4th down spot review) and some atrocious play calls by Andy Reid (going for a 50+ FG when you have no timeouts left…), etc.…

And Vince Young is 2-0 as a starter this season…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #290 on: November 09, 2009, 08:23:33 PM

HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS!

And yes, I'm happy to see the Giants fail in all facets of the game.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: November 09, 2009, 10:38:47 PM

and in bigger news, the Browns coach is stalling on naming the starting QB for the Ravens game! How does Baltimore prepare for the game without knowing who is going to be at the helm???  why so serious?

I could kill my parents for making me and birthing me right outside of Cleveland and thus plaguing my life with this town's inept sports teams.

I think we're going to see the start of the Brent Ratliff era  why so serious?

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: November 10, 2009, 02:12:34 AM

Don't worry.  Our DB's are already practicing missing their tackles in anticipation of the Anderson and/or Quinn passing attack.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #293 on: November 10, 2009, 06:16:32 AM

But if they don't address that gaping shithole that is their O-line, none of it will matter.
This is my leading theory of the Favre defection. I believe his main criteria is to have a solid O line and receivers that will work to get open. The second is trainable and doesn't mean shit without the first, so I believe it's all about the O line for him and has been for a while. Also, it's nice to have AP beat the shit out of the defense for a few downs, too.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #294 on: November 10, 2009, 06:41:23 AM

Favre is getting sacked more after leaving GB than he did the last few years he was there.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #295 on: November 10, 2009, 09:06:37 AM

Brett Ratliff is in the NFL?  Holy crap. He was a back-up when he was here in Utah and only played because Brian Johnson was injured.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #296 on: November 10, 2009, 09:59:20 AM

Brett Ratliff is in the NFL?  Holy crap. He was a back-up when he was here in Utah and only played because Brian Johnson was injured.

UFL...  Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: November 11, 2009, 08:07:09 AM

Fuck, but it's been hard picking games these last few weeks.  Couple of tough games to pick this week, too.  Crazy ass topsy-turvy NFL.

I'm thinking I may pick Green Bay over Dallas this week.  I mean, I know it isn't quite December yet, but Dallas needs to begin their second half slide early this year due to the Giants' and Eagles' inability to resemble a proper football team.  Also, as troubled as they look, I have a hard time seeing the Pack fall to sub .500.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #298 on: November 11, 2009, 09:38:23 AM

That defensive front 7 against that o-line + a QB who is holding it too long?  I'd consider the Pack at +5 maybe, but I doubt they win that game.

-William Gibson
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: November 11, 2009, 09:53:45 AM

I posted the above with the subconsious intent that someone may talk some sense into me.

But also, despite all the horrendous offensive woes, GB still manages around 27 points per game.  Not against stellar defenses, of course, but still.  And it's a home game.  And I think karma must inevitably come back and ground Tony Romo.  And I think neither Dallas is 7-2 good, nor Green Bay 4-5 bad.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #300 on: November 11, 2009, 10:00:22 AM

Dallas defensive backfield is not that good and they are playing AT Green Bay. I would have to give the edge to Green Bay but I don't really have a lot of conviction in that. Also, Tony Romo sucks when blitzed.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #301 on: November 11, 2009, 05:52:06 PM

Dallas defensive backfield is not that good and they are playing AT Green Bay. I would have to give the edge to Green Bay but I don't really have a lot of conviction in that. Also, Tony Romo sucks when blitzed.

Romo handled the game at Green Bay last year pretty well when they snapped a all-time winless streak at Lambeau. That was September, though. Dallas leads the NFC right now with the fewest points against on D, while Green Bay leads in interceptions. Both have solid run D's, and both have QBs who are prone to mistakes. Statistically, both offenses are practically identical.

The only thing that's different is the intangibles, and the Cowboys have a major edge. Even though on paper the teams are neck and neck, Dallas is on a 4 game winning streak and Green Bay is on a 2 game skid. Dallas smashed their divisional rival the Giants last week, and Green Bay has to feel absolutely horrid because they lost to TAMPA. Let that one soak in...Tampa, the team that had zero wins prior to matching up with Green Bay.

I took Dallas -3 over GB.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 05:54:35 PM by Paelos »

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: November 12, 2009, 05:54:15 AM

The only thing that's different is the intangibles, and the Cowboys have a major edge. Even though on paper the teams are neck and neck, Dallas is on a 4 game winning streak and Green Bay is on a 2 game skid. Dallas smashed their divisional rival the Giants last week, and Green Bay has to feel absolutely horrid because they lost to TAMPA. Let that one soak in...Tampa, the team that had zero wins prior to matching up with Green Bay.

I'd go off on you about how you have just demonstrated your lack of understanding of the intangibles, but then Dallas will probably go on to win anyway, and I will just look stupid.   awesome, for real

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: November 12, 2009, 07:55:29 AM

Wouldn't intangibles be intangible?  Saying something like, "You don't understand intangibles." just seems wrong.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: November 12, 2009, 10:31:39 AM

Not what I meant at all.  The things Paelos listed as intangible advantages, in my opinion, lead me to the exact opposite conclusion.  A team on a 4 game winning streak, for example, isn't by an automatically smart bet to put your money on...the opposite would be closer to the truth.  When it's the Dallas Cowboys and it's the second half of the season, it seems even more risky.  On the same token, a team that is probably underachieving a bit and just got stomped by the worst team in football isn't necessarily a lost cause.  They're backed in the proverbial corner now, and I think that gives them the edge.

Anyway, whatever.  Dallas will probably win, and I will have regretted my choice. 

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #305 on: November 12, 2009, 10:54:42 AM

Romo has a stellar record in November (14-2 so far). It's in December where he and the Cowboys have problems.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #306 on: November 12, 2009, 12:03:13 PM

GB's corners are really good, if Romo and Austin start believing their own hype too much, they might lose.  If they just play a smart game of football Dallas should have this.

-William Gibson
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: November 12, 2009, 12:24:40 PM

Romo has a stellar record in November (14-2 so far). It's in December where he and the Cowboys have problems.

That's a meaningless statistic without also knowing the win-loss record of opponents in November as well. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: November 12, 2009, 12:35:28 PM

That's a meaningless statistic without also knowing the win-loss record of opponents in November as well. 

I'll go out on a limb here and say that through 4 seasons (which I suggest it is by those 16 games), the opponents they faced had at least a 0.500 combined record.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: November 12, 2009, 12:43:12 PM

Let's put it in a different perspective.  The only other quarterbacks with 13 consecutive wins in November are Bob Griese and Steve Young, both of whom were pretty good.

The rarity of the accomplishment and the company he's keeping seem to imply that it's actually a fairly significant statistic.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: November 12, 2009, 12:46:42 PM

That very rarity simply adds fuel to the discussion that it is likely to end very soon.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #311 on: November 12, 2009, 10:04:15 PM

That very rarity simply adds fuel to the discussion that it is likely to end very soon.

That's the same nonsense they have in baseball when a guy striking out is "due". I think it's very easy to just say you take a contrarian attitude to past performance and move on.

I hope you only do that in sports.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 10:11:19 PM by Paelos »

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #312 on: November 12, 2009, 10:05:34 PM

I should be happy because the 49ers won, but fuck... all those interceptions and the offense can only get 10 points out of it?  That shit was depressing.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #313 on: November 12, 2009, 10:12:35 PM

I should be happy because the 49ers won, but fuck... all those interceptions and the offense can only get 10 points out of it?  That shit was depressing.

The really depressing thing is I have no idea where they are going to find a QB to save this franchise.

-William Gibson
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: November 12, 2009, 10:24:02 PM

They should trade a couple of first round picks for Culter.  That guy's a franchise QB.  Look at how much better the Bears are after they mortgaged their future to get him.

Over and out.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009 NFL  
Jump to: