Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:10:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009/2010 Football (Soccer) Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009/2010 Football (Soccer) Thread  (Read 114124 times)
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: August 12, 2009, 09:34:34 AM

Television Broadcast
mun2 and Telemundo, 3 p.m. CT

603 on comcast digital for mun2 in SLC

Online Broadcast
terra.com and futbolestelar.tv
The skinny: terra.com will be streaming the Telemundo feed of the game in the United States.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #36 on: August 12, 2009, 11:08:27 AM

Thanks. I don't have comcast so I'll have to try to pick it up online.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 12, 2009, 11:19:04 AM

Cool I see you have a league setup, I entered my Spawny Gits. I put Valencia in there I have great hopes for him.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 11:20:58 AM by Amarr HM »

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #38 on: August 12, 2009, 12:32:53 PM

Thanks. I don't have comcast so I'll have to try to pick it up online.

If you have Directv, it's on Channel 203 for free.

WayAbvPar

Reply #39 on: August 12, 2009, 01:20:19 PM

I had my DVR set for Telemundo, but then heard they have it in English on Telemundo2- woohoo! Even though we are going to get crushed I am oddly excited.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #40 on: August 12, 2009, 01:53:39 PM

Wtf is Telemundo2 ?

Anyways, no Jozy no Spector starting?  Fuck you Bradley.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #41 on: August 12, 2009, 02:21:28 PM

Jozy's probably getting ready to start for Hull this weekend (hope!).

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #42 on: August 12, 2009, 02:33:58 PM

Fuck

Carlos

Bocanegra

minute 38, but I'm sure he's going to fuck us, playing like shit.  Fucker

Fucking Bradley too, wtf is he doing, if he tries to cut in front of a pass late and leaves himself completely out of position and out of the play 1 more time I'm going to scream.  Not to mention his horrible fucking passing and positioning to help the defense on a change of possession.

Oh no.  Our first sub is such a bad bad move.  Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.  Ok it was a double sub, but really, Holden?  Fuck me.  For our best defensive mid?  .....  Not happy
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 03:13:40 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #43 on: August 12, 2009, 03:39:37 PM

Was guarding the second goal Bocanegra's job, too?  Because he pussed out legendarily on the first one.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #44 on: August 12, 2009, 03:54:03 PM

He is a worthless sack and I swear if I keep having to see him w/ the armband and resting on non existent laurels and being guarenteed his starting spot I'm going to puke.  He was fucking awful the entire game in EVERY single phase of the goddamn game.

I don't get the starting lineup, Jozy > Ching every time, for so many reasons that its not even worth listing them.  I also don't get not starting Spector after the Confed Cup, that is just bullshit.  Cherundelo did ok but I would have liked to see Spector again after he did such a terrific job.

I can't believe that Holden pissed me off less then Benny.  Fuck he had an awful game and acted like a cunt during that tussle towards the end.  Also played nervy and made some awful passes.  They bring him in counting on him to provide presence on the ball and help w/ possession and he ends up making some of the worst passes of anyone.  Fantastic.

Not playing Torres in this game, I just can't fathom that.  I mean it really doesn't make dick for sense.  Holden did well but I just can't figure out what Torres has done so that he is just not going to see a minute of playtime anymore.

I feel bad for Landon, he didn't have a great game, but he could have.  His service was very nice on two of the free kick/corners but nobody made anything of it and then he was victimized on the last goal getting caught flat footed hella bad.  It was crazy watching the riot police try to protect him at the end.

Really just fuck Bocanegra, fuck him so much, its one thing if a young kid has a bad game, I can forgive Bradley for playing like shit for 90% of the time but Bocanegra is the vet, the captain, etc. and he was amateur hour the entire match in everything he did.

Big ups to Gooch, he had a terrific game and even looked ok w/ the ball at his feet.  I hope he gets P/T in Italy and continues to improve, I was really pleased with how he commanded things back there.  Besides that, what isn't to love about Charlie Davies, it was a daring and apparently inspired pick to start him by Bradley, I give credit for that but god I love the way that kid plays.

I also like Ricardo Clark a ton, if he continues to improve he will be the key to any run the US makes in the World Cup since a solid defensive minded mid can help cover our weakness in the back.  Holden, fuck I hated Holden but that service was just so perfect and he had some other moments that looked ok.  He's not a starter and I doubt he will be by 2010 but I'm almost ready to see him included in the squad if he can play well in a few more away qualifiers.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 03:56:04 PM by Hoax »

-William Gibson
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #45 on: August 12, 2009, 05:18:34 PM

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 12, 2009, 06:24:30 PM

Glad to see no one's bitching about cards, like in the twitterscape, because, duh  you're at Azteca.

Did altidore even touch the ball?

We're not quite there yet.  that second goal was Onyewu's makrk who got the goal. Boca dodged, but most times that ball goes over the bar.

One good strike, one mental lapse. That's all it takes.

Davies is now a solid fixture, compare to people not even knowing who he was back in February.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: August 12, 2009, 08:05:26 PM

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: August 12, 2009, 08:22:32 PM

He was playing in Mexico. He just got into the spirit of the Ole! school of defense.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: August 12, 2009, 09:33:04 PM

It's amazing you can see the ball bobble right as he hits it but he still catches it sweet as a peach, that dude must examine the pitch before he plays.

WayAbvPar

Reply #50 on: August 13, 2009, 08:50:16 AM

So tired of watching teams get a lead and then never attempt an offensive move again. The Canucks did it constantly last season, and the US did it yesterday. Sorry, but you can't play 80+ minutes entirely in your own end. God that annoys me. First touches were just clownshoes too- can anyone in America settle a ball that travels more than 10 fucking feet?

Refereeing was predictably abysmal and completely one-sided. Mexico should be embarrassed by the conduct of some of their players and fans. If CONCACAF/FIFA had any fucking balls they would ban matches at any stadium people throw that much shit at players. That isn't sport- that animal mob behavior.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: August 13, 2009, 08:56:56 AM

Mexicans are like the Turks of the Americas.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #52 on: August 13, 2009, 09:39:09 AM

We're not quite there yet.  that second goal was Onyewu's makrk who got the goal. Boca dodged, but most times that ball goes over the bar.

It was his mark but it was Bocanegra who provided late nonexistent help for Donovan and should have been trying to get back into the play since the breakdown was on his side.  But he was just standing around like a fucking bitch.  My scapegoat of the match hands down no question, I'm so sick of him being the captain when he can't defend worth a damn because he's not fast enough clever enough or skilled enough, he doesn't overlap on offense, his service is awful, his vision is awful, he doesn't play calm and collected and picks up stupid yellows at the same rate as the kids.

You would think  by now that USMNT would see that shaking up the lineup has good results.  Forcing some competition and not letting anyone feel owed their roster spot is good.  Yet for some reason Bocanegra gets that treatment, along with Dempsey and Donovan who have sort of earned it, while he has done fuckall.

-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #53 on: August 13, 2009, 09:45:26 AM

Glad to see no one's bitching about cards, like in the twitterscape, because, duh  you're at Azteca.

I was bitching about the cards. There was some seriously egregious home-cooking going on there. Fuck it, all I want in a ref is fucking consistency, of which there was none. He was shit.

Bocanegara, ALSO SHIT. That second goal I blame pretty squarely on him. Why is it the central defender and the winger are struggling to catch the guy with the assist when he runs straight through where the back should have been standing? He was lost most of the game, and when Howard got in trouble, it was usually because Boca was off somewhere the fuck else. Is left back even his natural position?

Davies was awesome. The midfield was shit most of the game. Dempsey is almost worthless except for the five seconds or so he shows up every game - I'd rather see Holden starting. There seemed to be no service out of the central midfield. The one thing I think our players need to practice until their toes fall off is being able to RECEIVE A FUCKING PASS. How many balls did we lose possession on in the midfield simply because the ball bounced 20 feet away off a guy's foot?

Gio Dos Santos is a fucking douchefaced cunt that I'd like to see get punched.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: August 13, 2009, 11:34:41 AM

blaming the wrong guy on that second Goal. You need to blame Landon Donovan. He got burned on that one pretty bad.

Donovan started believing the hype. Hell, they all did.

This is why US Soccer can't have nice things.

About the refs, now you know why people hate Jack Warner and the fat fuck in New York, his main toady and general shit stain who has  his own floor in manhattan. One Chuck Fucking Blazer. Il Bruce was right about Sunil. He's a micromanager who wants to run the team. Imagine Roger Goodell dealing with this  bunch of fuck heads. US Soccer being prominent opens the door for a total revamp of concacaf and becomes a major pain in FIFA's corrupt ass.

Mexico bullied the confederation to put a lesser ref on. the ref for the game is the one who threw out the mexican coach for kicking a panamanian player. he would not have dealt with the shit that mexico always does because they're a bunch of dirty filthy stinking cheats.

EDIT:Aaron Stollar of the fighting talker podcast and big soccer explains why I was such a moron for thinking the US could change CONCACAF
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 02:36:05 PM by sigil »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #55 on: August 13, 2009, 03:43:40 PM

blaming the wrong guy on that second Goal. You need to blame Landon Donovan. He got burned on that one pretty bad.

Yes, he did. Strangely enough, though, the left back is closer to the goal than the left midfielder (Donovan) and is SUPPOSED to be there to backstop the midfielder if he happens to get burned. Bocanegra being pretty much nowhere in the picture is pretty much why that goal got scored. He wasn't marking Sabah in the box and he wasn't applying pressure to the man driving to the endline - so what the fuck was he doing? Standing there with his thumb up his ass, completely confused as to what he should be doing. If he chooses to either mark the goalscorer tightly or help Donovan with the run, that goal doesn't get scored.

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #56 on: August 13, 2009, 03:45:56 PM

If he chooses to either mark the goalscorer tightly or help Donovan with the run, that goal doesn't get scored. he cups his nuts, runs away from the attacker, and turns his back on the shot

Fixed.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: August 14, 2009, 06:37:35 PM

FUCK YEAH!

EPL on ESPN2 tomorrow

Chelsea and Hull @ 7:45 Eastern

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #58 on: August 14, 2009, 06:54:55 PM

Wait, what?  AM or PM?  Neither option makes any sense.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: August 14, 2009, 06:59:13 PM

7:45 AM easterm

ESPN now carries the EPL Saturday morning game and the Monday afternoon ones.

If there is no 7:45AM game they'll get one of the 10AM ones.

Saturday, August 15:

Chelsea v Hull City, 7:45am, ESPN2

Monday, August 24:

Liverpool v Aston Villa, 3pm, ESPN2

Saturday, August 29:

Chelsea v Burnley, 7:45am, ESPN2

Saturday, September 19:

Burnley v Sunderland, 7:45am, ESPN2

Saturday, September 26:

Portsmouth v Everton, 7:45am, ESPN2

Monday, September 28:

Manchester City v West Ham United, ESPN2

Monday, October 5:

Aston Villa v Manchester City, 3pm, ESPN2

Saturday, October 17:

Aston Villa v Chelsea, 7:45am, ESPN2

Monday, October 19:

Fulham v Hull City, 3pm, ESPN2

Saturday, October 24:

Wolves v Aston Villa, 7:45am, ESPN2

Saturday, October 31:

Arsenal v Tottenham, 6:45am, ESPN2

Monday, November 9:

Liverpool v Birmingham City, 3pm, ESPN2

Saturday, November 21:

Liverpool v Manchester City, 7:45am, ESPN2
Note: For those Saturday mornings when there isn’t a 7:45am ET game available, ESPN will have first choice of the Saturday 10am game from Setanta Sports.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:04:30 PM by sigil »
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: August 14, 2009, 11:39:13 PM

FUCK YEAH!

EPL on ESPN2 tomorrow

Chelsea and Hull @ 7:45 Eastern

That isn't showing up in my program guide.  Only EPL on tomorrow according to my guide is on FSC.

-H.L. Mencken
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #61 on: August 15, 2009, 01:13:32 AM

An hour ago it wasn't on espn's site either, but now it is.  Very sudden.  Unfortunately, I'm going to need to go through tivo shenanigans to get it to record, since it's not on that guide yet.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: August 15, 2009, 02:13:23 AM

Hmmmm, see if this league ID works: 569418-165514

If not, PM me your email address and I'll invite you by hand.

EDIT: Bloody hell, I don't think it could have put the code in bigger letters and I missed it. The code above should do it.

I joined. I'm Humblebees. Should keep up with it more this year as the other league I do changed to this one also.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 15, 2009, 06:41:24 AM

ESPN2 is showing the  premier league in HD  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Also they don't have the ticker on constantly.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: August 15, 2009, 11:17:13 AM

Man, either Arsenal is unstoppable or Everton is dreadful.

-H.L. Mencken
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: August 15, 2009, 12:47:11 PM

absolutely hideous tp watch...
Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: August 16, 2009, 12:53:12 PM

Wow!  If Spurs can get refereeing like they did against Liverpool all year they are going to be tough to beat!   awesome, for real

COME ON YOU SPURS!
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: August 16, 2009, 01:34:16 PM

BAE Had at least a red , two yellows and a PK waved off all by himself awesome, for real
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #68 on: August 17, 2009, 09:36:39 AM

That Liverpool game was fucking ridiculous. Absolutely dreadful. The ref and his assistants need to be flogged, especially for waving off that penalty when Voronin was charging into the box. One minute later at the other end of the field, a Spurs player gets his legs grazed outside the box and he gets a free kick. Fuck Phil Dowd in his earhole. That said, Liverpool looked shit. They didn't deserve to win. We are seriously going to be missing Xabi Alonso for a while now, because Lucas is not Premier League quality. I cannot for the life of me figure out why Babel is still being allowed starts. He has no ability to cross or hold the ball, all he can do is run into a tackle. His feet are the sloppiest mess. Benayoun for 60-90 minutes would have been much better. Shit, I'd rather see Benayoun in the center instead of Lucas and put Riera on the left wing. Voronin... really? That's the best bench striker option you've got? Oh right it is, because YOU DIDN'T FUCKING SIGN ANYBODY. You lose Hyppia and don't replace him with someone who didn't start shaving less than a year ago? Now we have 3 top quality centre backs all of whom are carrying a knock of some kind and have to rely on Ayala in a pinch - and he's just not that good yet. The worst part was that the set piece defense is just fucking awful - FUCKING AWFUL. While both Spurs goals were good goals, better defense on the Bassong goal might well have stopped that.

Glad to see ESPN is just rebroadcasting an existing English broadcast AND that they didn't interrupt the game for their 30 at 30 shit. That really annoys me when they do it to MLS. But damn do they need to start updating the Tivo/DVR guides sooner. I don't think it ever showed up on my guide, I had to manually record it. Hull looked decent but what the fuck is Phil Brown doing starting Caleb Folan as the lone striker? Way to give possession to Chelsea for most of the game. Ghilas looked a better striker option and I KNOW Cousin is better. Hell, Jozy would have been better.

Stoke City look much improved this year, and Wigan even more so. Villa got owned by Wigan - not replacing Barry or Larsen with anyone of note is really going to hurt. I like Steve Sidwell, but he's no Gareth Barry. Wolves fell to a complete lack of finish - they could have equalized a few times, but missed their shots.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: August 17, 2009, 11:26:54 AM

That Vollolagres strike was pretty amazing as was the Ahouto-Ekoto one.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2009/2010 Football (Soccer) Thread  
Jump to: